Tails of the USR: A Human and Lupusad companion piece

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

anonfox123
Grand Templar

Tails of the USR: A Human and Lupusad companion piece

#1 Post by anonfox123 »

So I was reading Jonesy's stuff and it got my creative juices flowing. This is the raw, unrefined story-ore that came from my mind-mining on a lazy afternoon. Enjoy!

A fierce storm was pounding the northern area of dock district, sending sheets of rain down upon the ramshackle quarters of the Lupusad workers. There was just about as much rain as there was misery, which was to say, a lot. One young Lupusad in particular was in an especially bad way, nursing a hastily bandaged gash on his arm from when a loading cable snapped before he could get it off the snag it was caught on. It didn’t help that he was sleeping on a damp floor, which was already an improvement over the soaked mattress, water still dripping onto it from the ceiling.

He turned over, careful not to rub his wound on the floor or end up lying on his tail. The lack of sleep was getting to him, his frustration turning to angry, hateful thoughts. Why am I such a coward, he asked of himself. Even if I could only take down one damnable human, and got killed myself, it would be a fair trade, and two? Finally, a transaction where the Lupusad got the better end of the deal.

Muttering to himself, he rolled over again and got up to try the mattress, dragging it away from the leak. Instant regret followed as at least a gallon of water and the grime it had picked up from the mattress squished from the saturated bedding, soaking into his fur and splashing onto his bandages.

And then he heard knocking at the door. The hell? Another set of knocks followed before he put his hand on the door handle. “Who are you and what do you want at this ungodly hour!?”

“This is the residence of one Ryken Kenno, yes?” replied the voice on the other side. Ryken’s eyes widened slightly. It was a human voice, maybe a noble from the accent. And whoever it was, they knew his name.

“Yeah, I’m Ryken. What of it?” He said, opening the door. The man standing there was dressed in an almost military fashion, an impossibly white trenchcoat with orange and black detailing over simply black pants and polished boots. A firearm hung on one side of the man’s waist, and a short saber on the other.

“I’m here to make you a deal you will not refuse, Mr. Kenno.” The man extended a gloved hand. “I’m Neal Foster, by the way.”

Ryken didn’t take it. “And if I refuse anyway?” He sneered. What was this dandy of a human doing here in a Lupusad dock-slum?

“Oh, I’ll expect that the port will decide it would be cheaper to pull in a Lupusad off the street instead of waiting for your injury to recover.” Neal casually remarked. “I however, do have the luxury of waiting. Still, it’s just shameful how lax safety standards around here…”

Before he knew what he was doing, Ryken’s good arm had lashed out, claws ready to disfigure the human’s handsome features. But a strong grip closed around his wrist, stopping the blow in its tracks, and Ryken found himself staring down a gun-barrel.

“Please, Mr. Kenno, may we step inside?” Neal asked, his tone even despite the aggression directed towards him. “I find that standing in a doorway is hardly conducive to civil conversation.” He didn’t wait for an answer, stepping in as he holstered his weapon.

Ryken glared at the man. “You planned it!” he spat, “I don’t know how but you planned it and now you’re here to haul me off to whatever fate you have in mind!”

It came as a surprise to the agitated Lupusad that an expression of genuine shock came over Neal’s face. “Planned it? What are you talking about? The Foster family might be part of the nobility but we don’t have the resources to micromanage anyone’s life behind the scenes.”

“You knew my name.” Ryken growled, pulling a chair out and putting his feet up on the table out of spite.

“It was posted on a directory at the entrance.” Oh, right. That thing.

“So what do you have the resources for then?” Ryken asked.

“Like I said, I am here to make an offer you will not refuse.” Neal sat opposite, staring at Ryken over his feet.

“And that is…” Ryken let the question trail off.

“Full ownership rights to three acres of property, protection from slavers by a competent militia and most importantly, a new start instead of these cycles of oppression and vengeance that the rest of the world seems to be determined to go through.” Neal sounded completely serious, and that’s what made it even easier for Ryken to burst out laughing.

“Ha! Nice try, but even if you could hand me all that on a God damn silver platter, there’s probably a catch somewhere isn’t there, skinrag?

“Well, you’d have to stow that attitude, for one thing.” Neal informed Ryken. “Accepting will mean you have to work and cooperate with Humans. Note that I say work with, not for. Humans who accept my offer must do the same, working and cooperating with Lupusad.”

“And what sort of humans are you giving this offer to?” Ryken asked cautiously. “Some desperados who won’t think twice or perverts who are all too interested in “cooperation” with us?”

“The people I make this offer to are ones who have been wronged by their counterparts in the other species, and yet have everything to gain from putting their grudges aside.” Neal stated. “If you are still interested tomorrow, bring this…” he drew his handgun and opened it up, revealing a cylinder with eight holes in it and took out what looked like a miniature artillery shell. “To this address.” He took a slip of paper out of his pocket and scribbled something on it. Neal looked at Ryken. “You can read, right?” There was no condescension in the question, just a want for confirmation.

“Yeah. Well, I know enough.” Ryken said, tired by his outburst and throbbing arm. He hoped that damn mattress hadn’t gotten it infected… “nineteen-eighty seven, Foster square, Walnut Valley district. Sounds upscale.”

“Modest, compared to other nobles. We Fosters show off our wealth in other ways, as you might come to see.” Neal said, stepping towards the door. “Goodnight, Mr. Kenno.”

And with that, the man left. Ryken would stay awake until sunrise, contemplating the strange man, and the ammunition he’d left behind. He stayed awake until a far more violent knock on the door came, as he was getting evicted after being fired for “workplace carelessness”

Nothing else for it then, he thought as he gathered his few possessions into a worn canvas bag. Feeling giddily adventurous thanks to his sleeplessness-addled brain, he hailed a cab, handing the driver the address. “He’ll pay for it. I’m coming back from an errand.” Ryken explained, a smirk on his face. Giggling at the driver’s expression of disgust, he stared out the window, letting the constant barrage of city-scents keep him awake lest the cabbie stop the carriage and kick him out in front of a police station.
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

red.wolf
Merchant

Re: Tails of the USR: A Human and Lupusad companion piece

#2 Post by red.wolf »

Wow, didn't expect a fan-fic of a forum writing piece but Human and Lupusad is a very good an well written story. Hopefully you can give justice to such a well written piece in the long run, Jonsey must be really proud to see fan-fics of his writing.
The first shot is not the one that matters. The last shot determines everything.

http://twokinds.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18223---- Both Sides > My Fanfic
Both Sides: A TwoKinds Fan-fiction

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#3 Post by anonfox123 »

red.wolf wrote:Wow, didn't expect a fan-fic of a forum writing piece but Human and Lupusad is a very good an well written story. Hopefully you can give justice to such a well written piece in the long run, Jonsey must be really proud to see fan-fics of his writing.
Is that skepticism I hear? I guess this piece might be too short to judge, but is there anything that you don't like or are worried about?

red.wolf
Merchant

#4 Post by red.wolf »

Not necessarily skepticism but more of a thoughy on how it would pan out. Noticed a time period inconsistency if you are aiming for parallel time with Main story. Ill be more then happy to point it out if thats the case, just let me know. I think I can already kinda predict where your going with this and if im right, i think itll be pretty good.
The first shot is not the one that matters. The last shot determines everything.

http://twokinds.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18223---- Both Sides > My Fanfic
Both Sides: A TwoKinds Fan-fiction

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#5 Post by anonfox123 »

red.wolf wrote:Not necessarily skepticism but more of a thoughy on how it would pan out. Noticed a time period inconsistency if you are aiming for parallel time with Main story. Ill be more then happy to point it out if thats the case, just let me know. I think I can already kinda predict where your going with this and if im right, i think itll be pretty good.
It looks like an inconsistency but the Foster family is very ahead of the game in many things. Like Neal said, they don't show of their wealth by expensive stuff. And if you're talking about the trouble at the docks/warehouses, the timeline is more like start of this story is around the start of the original.

(Don't worry, not gonna make things mary-sue/gary-stu, or just OP)

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#6 Post by Jonesy »

red.wolf wrote:Wow, didn't expect a fan-fic of a forum writing piece but Human and Lupusad is a very good an well written story. Hopefully you can give justice to such a well written piece in the long run, Jonsey must be really proud to see fan-fics of his writing.
Yes, I'm rather humbled. I've even been working with anonfox to ensure the lore and everything is fairly accurate.

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#7 Post by anonfox123 »

Jonesy wrote:
Yes, I'm rather humbled. I've even been working with anonfox to ensure the lore and everything is fairly accurate.
An odd quirk about me is that I can come up with some crazy orignial settings, but suck at fitting a plot to them. And then like here I can jump into someone else's world and spin a plot just fine.

Shame I rarely finish what I start...

Pichu162

#8 Post by Pichu162 »

Ooooooooooo, i love this!! It means theres more to read in between chapters :3
but, I think this could use some work. Not that I dont like it! i just cant help that i wanna help people hehe
If you wanna hear my suggestions, just lemme know!
:heart:

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#9 Post by Jonesy »

Pichu162 wrote:Ooooooooooo, i love this!! It means theres more to read in between chapters :3
but, I think this could use some work. Not that I dont like it! i just cant help that i wanna help people hehe
If you wanna hear my suggestions, just lemme know!
:heart:
Sure thing! What's your suggestion?

Pichu162

#10 Post by Pichu162 »

Jonesy wrote:Sure thing! What's your suggestion?
the dialogue is very... um, not sure of what word I should use? forced?
some of the sentences dont really seem like theyre things people would actually say...
anonfox123 wrote:“Oh, I’ll expect that the port will decide it would be cheaper to pull in a Lupusad off the street instead of waiting for your injury to recover.” Neal casually remarked. “I however, do have the luxury of waiting. Still, it’s just shameful how lax safety standards around here…”
like this part! the way things are said is just a little... weird, i think...
thats not very helpful is it? im sorry!

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#11 Post by anonfox123 »

Can't believe this got dug up after so long... Glad you like it (mostly), but I'm afraid it will not be continuing. I have new, better, and original things in the works.

Pichu162

#12 Post by Pichu162 »

anonfox123 wrote:Can't believe this got dug up after so long... Glad you like it (mostly), but I'm afraid it will not be continuing. I have new, better, and original things in the works.
aw, i was looking forward to reading more...
oh well! im sure the other stuff you write will be great too!!!

Warrl
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Warrl »

Anonfox, I would love to see you come back to this. If you have some ideas for what to do with it, of course.

(I did a search for "Human and Lupusad", in quotes, and it was the 4th entry in the results.)

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

#14 Post by Neptune »

Warrl wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:08 am Anonfox, I would love to see you come back to this. If you have some ideas for what to do with it, of course.

(I did a search for "Human and Lupusad", in quotes, and it was the 4th entry in the results.)
I told you not to necro the thread, bro!
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?