Human & Lupusad - Of Men and Wolves [Mature Content]

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Human & Lupusad - Of Men and Wolves [Mature Content]

#391 Post by Warrl »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:15 am Hopefully i will get to read it before that happens.
Read it, or at least download and save it, now.

(By the way, Jonesy, if a disaster takes out your computer and all your backups - I can throw you a copy of it as it exists here right now. Including the lore, cast interviews, and MSTing. Although not necessarily in the format you'd prefer.)

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#392 Post by Jonesy »

Warrl wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:46 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:15 am Hopefully i will get to read it before that happens.
Read it, or at least download and save it, now.

(By the way, Jonesy, if a disaster takes out your computer and all your backups - I can throw you a copy of it as it exists here right now. Including the lore, cast interviews, and MSTing. Although not necessarily in the format you'd prefer.)
Thanks for the offer. I've got it backed up in a few places, so hopefully it won't come to that. Doesn't hurt to be prepared, though.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#393 Post by Warrl »

I've got it backed up in a few places
Good move. I have my writing on my computer (of course), and backups of the current version of everything on both my phone and my tablet, plus versioned backups on an external HD.

Jonesy
Templar Master

#394 Post by Jonesy »

Hi, everyone! Just dropping in with some more updates.

I've made some good progress over the inter-semester break, and am up to chapter 7. Things are starting to look a lot different now, but I'm more satisfied with the story than ever. I'm very excited for some of the places where the story will be headed in the coming chapters.

I've also done some thinking, and I've decided to set myself the goal of having the story finished by the end of next year. As such, I'll be taking the story down at the end of this year. This should allow enough time for anyone who wants to finish reading the story to do so, but still means the story will be down for a good 12 months between its original form and the improved one. I'll leave the thread itself up, in order to show potential publishers the story's reception, as well as to keep you all in the loop with how it's coming along.

darksky

#395 Post by darksky »

Bit of a late reply, but this was an excellent conclusion to the story! Please let us know when you get it published in the future — I’ll certainly buy a copy!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#396 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well i did said i was meaning to read this but had not had the time.
Alas i got stuck over 28 hours in a flying tin can a few days ago and thus I finally got some time to read it.
A few days later i finished reading your book and thought: “what the hell. lest leave a comment!”
Not many of your reader have read this as it is meant to, over a few days, not over a few years. And most importantly i can offer you some foreign perspective.
But also take it with a grain of salt, i can’t write to save my own life, that much is self evident, but i hope i can at least provide a decent comment or feedback and ultimately helpful to you as a small token of appreciation for your work.
Spoilered for convenience and yeah story spoilers...
Spoiler!
Tried to order everything into small easily digestible paragraphs for clarity in no particular order.

First just a quick curio:
Sometimes on your chapter titles you use normal hyphens aka minus signs “-” (UTF-8 0x2D) but sometimes, especially on the beginning, you used en dashes “–” (UTF-8 0xE28093). That is something i found far more interesting than it should.

Random trivia aside first things first: I really really liked what you got here.
Now I was really not expecting much at first. Either a story about how a poor orphan managed to start some sort of working class revolution, but not before seducing her boss at best or a pink and mellow love story about how love conquering even the barriers of wealth, social status and species at worst.
I was fortunately proven wrong by chapter 2. I really like how the romance is not the central part of the story, it is subtle, I had expected to be front and center and really on the nose but it actually takes a backseat to the issues of racism, discrimination, slavery, exploitation and the overall topic of working together to live in a better place for all.

I really loved what you did with the characters most of them were interesting and believable. I did have a problem with Lord Gregory and his son. The first stuck me as quite a thin character, we hardly know his motivations or aspirations. And his son is quite plain compared to the rest of the cast, they rest all got dreams, hopes, beliefs, fears and problems even small ones with little “screen time” like the rebel leaders are well developed . Thankfully Jakob grows sufficiently as a character by the end. But still for a main character he stuck me as a bit plain against the supporting cast of varied personalities. In my opinion.

And you had quite a lot of characters for that, the hurt but ever hoping Zyanya, his suspicious Mother, the adorable cubs and many more. Not only their personalities are well established but their relationships are dynamic and interesting. The first chapters are mostly centered on the main couple and the story managed quite well focusing only on their relation, but when you started throwing more and more characters the thing got even better. I am not sure how you managed to kept that many characters on the story, for what i gather that is pretty hard, but you knocked it out of the park!

But sometimes it was bit hard to keep up with everything that was going on. And similar names compounded the issue.

Speaking of names I really like the naming schemes. humans sound particularly british, but the lupusad names are pretty interesting to say the least. I am not sure if you were inspired by some real language or it all came from your imagination but the names are consistent and give the strong impression that they came from a well developed language. However i did often forget who was named what.

Also I am given the impression that Albevion is based mostly on the 1800 british empires, Is that correct or am i mistaken?

Moving on: You really know how to keep the tension and the thrill on. On the lasts chapter you managed to convince me that it was a real possibility for the whole negotiation to fall to pieces and even have a few dead, only for Zyanya to swoop in save everything by a timely intervention. On that note you also made me doubt the idea of Jakob/Zyannya ending together, at one point i was wondering if he simply would not reciprocate her feelingw and this would turn as the best heartbreaking moment i had ever read. And i knew that was not the case, by accident i had stumbled across the “love scene” a few chapter forward: I knew they were gonna end together yet you managed to make me doubt that. That is something quite impressive.

Also you seem as comfortable writing a nice and calm date between two lovebirds as writing a hostage situation. I am not very knowledgeable on the topic, but i am under the impression most authors don’t have that thematic range.

So a few comments on the plot, so yeah spoilers if that is not obvious by this point:
I am surprised you painted the church as being so amicable and ready to strike a deal with the lupusad and even ecumenic in their beliefs. If the bishop title and his mithre is any clue the human church seems at least tangentially based on christian churches. And well historically the real church was not that forthcoming. At least not when it came to America.

Speaking of real world parallels. The Lupusad situation seems a lot like that of Africans when slavery was all the rage. But you mention they live in another continent and got “discovered” with sticks me morea as what happened with Native Americans. I imagine it more as a mix of both things. Most of central, south and parts of north america are still resented about the whole “columbian exchange” or as we call it here in my motherland: The conquest. Suffice to say the story might be resonate in a lot of places, being invaded, slaved and robbed of your culture, if I remember my history lessons wll is not something that has only happened a handful of times.

Another curious thing is that you decided that in the novel all problems are created by violence and solved by diplomacy. It may be just that i play too many videogames but i am accustomed that, in fiction, most problems are solved by killing a big bad guy and sufficient of their minions. It is refreshing to read something when logic, diplomacy, reason and a commitment to work together even on adversity is what saves the day.

Anyhow, you mentioned Tom’s comic being an inspiration, if you do not mind me asking, do you have any others, either books, games, or real life? Sorry for the weird question it is just i find the creative process of this stuff to be fascinating.

Finally I had some petty issues with the writing: Mainly it is sometimes inconsistent, the narrator appears to change from time to time even if only for the briefest periods and sometimes i just can’t not piece out who was saying what. But it is minor and if you can get this professionally published and editor will probably clean the style up.

Now you did mentioned wanting to turn this into a professionally published piece that can put some money on you wallet. Honestly the quality is there but at the end of the day getting published depends more on whether the publisher things the can make money out of the book.
And your audience is rather niche, it is kinda of hard to classify you work into something. But that is not bad, the whole idea of market is to find an untapped market or demographic and cater to their needs. And i am pretty sure there is little if anything similar to you work anywhere else. Alas i might be wrong.
Also the “social commentary” in your piece is right, front and center. Most companies steer mostly clear of politics and such in fear of alienating their customers. I do not think you should tone it down or anything as most of today's entertainment are innocuous power fantasies designed not to threat the consumer ego and play their biases. It is interesting to see anyone taking a stand on their work.
Besides the “fantastical” setting will help, you can say a lot more in a sci-fi / fantasy novel than in a more “grounded” book, since most people won’t take it as seriously. Just as star trek.
In terms of making money, i see no issue. you did a pretty good job at world building creating an interesting world where to place more stories without risking retelling the same story over and over. Not only that you did leave a few threads lose as if you intent to follow this particular story in the future: Like the foreign involvement on the incident, Jakob fake marriage and future children with Jess, Zyannya life as a chancellor etc…
What i am trying to say is that this sound very franchisable

On a few end notes. I might not be wise to keep this thread alive after looking for publishers, some more save forumers might now more but i am under the impression that most of them want “first publisher” rights. And since this exists that cannot happen. However there seems to exist other sites were you can post your story, get feedback and it does not count towards “first publishing” for some reason. I am definitely not versed on the topic but you should check that out.
Well that was by far more than i expected to write. Sorry to rob you of so much of your time.
Anyways thanks for having created this and when you get this published tell me if you ship to México, I am interesting in buying a copy!
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Jonesy
Templar Master

#397 Post by Jonesy »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:30 am Well i did said i was meaning to read this but had not had the time.
Alas i got stuck over 28 hours in a flying tin can a few days ago and thus I finally got some time to read it.
A few days later i finished reading your book and thought: “what the hell. lest leave a comment!”
Not many of your reader have read this as it is meant to, over a few days, not over a few years. And most importantly i can offer you some foreign perspective.
But also take it with a grain of salt, i can’t write to save my own life, that much is self evident, but i hope i can at least provide a decent comment or feedback and ultimately helpful to you as a small token of appreciation for your work.
Spoilered for convenience and yeah story spoilers...
Spoiler!
Tried to order everything into small easily digestible paragraphs for clarity in no particular order.

First just a quick curio:
Sometimes on your chapter titles you use normal hyphens aka minus signs “-” (UTF-8 0x2D) but sometimes, especially on the beginning, you used en dashes “–” (UTF-8 0xE28093). That is something i found far more interesting than it should.

Random trivia aside first things first: I really really liked what you got here.
Now I was really not expecting much at first. Either a story about how a poor orphan managed to start some sort of working class revolution, but not before seducing her boss at best or a pink and mellow love story about how love conquering even the barriers of wealth, social status and species at worst.
I was fortunately proven wrong by chapter 2. I really like how the romance is not the central part of the story, it is subtle, I had expected to be front and center and really on the nose but it actually takes a backseat to the issues of racism, discrimination, slavery, exploitation and the overall topic of working together to live in a better place for all.

I really loved what you did with the characters most of them were interesting and believable. I did have a problem with Lord Gregory and his son. The first stuck me as quite a thin character, we hardly know his motivations or aspirations. And his son is quite plain compared to the rest of the cast, they rest all got dreams, hopes, beliefs, fears and problems even small ones with little “screen time” like the rebel leaders are well developed . Thankfully Jakob grows sufficiently as a character by the end. But still for a main character he stuck me as a bit plain against the supporting cast of varied personalities. In my opinion.

And you had quite a lot of characters for that, the hurt but ever hoping Zyanya, his suspicious Mother, the adorable cubs and many more. Not only their personalities are well established but their relationships are dynamic and interesting. The first chapters are mostly centered on the main couple and the story managed quite well focusing only on their relation, but when you started throwing more and more characters the thing got even better. I am not sure how you managed to kept that many characters on the story, for what i gather that is pretty hard, but you knocked it out of the park!

But sometimes it was bit hard to keep up with everything that was going on. And similar names compounded the issue.

Speaking of names I really like the naming schemes. humans sound particularly british, but the lupusad names are pretty interesting to say the least. I am not sure if you were inspired by some real language or it all came from your imagination but the names are consistent and give the strong impression that they came from a well developed language. However i did often forget who was named what.

Also I am given the impression that Albevion is based mostly on the 1800 british empires, Is that correct or am i mistaken?

Moving on: You really know how to keep the tension and the thrill on. On the lasts chapter you managed to convince me that it was a real possibility for the whole negotiation to fall to pieces and even have a few dead, only for Zyanya to swoop in save everything by a timely intervention. On that note you also made me doubt the idea of Jakob/Zyannya ending together, at one point i was wondering if he simply would not reciprocate her feelingw and this would turn as the best heartbreaking moment i had ever read. And i knew that was not the case, by accident i had stumbled across the “love scene” a few chapter forward: I knew they were gonna end together yet you managed to make me doubt that. That is something quite impressive.

Also you seem as comfortable writing a nice and calm date between two lovebirds as writing a hostage situation. I am not very knowledgeable on the topic, but i am under the impression most authors don’t have that thematic range.

So a few comments on the plot, so yeah spoilers if that is not obvious by this point:
I am surprised you painted the church as being so amicable and ready to strike a deal with the lupusad and even ecumenic in their beliefs. If the bishop title and his mithre is any clue the human church seems at least tangentially based on christian churches. And well historically the real church was not that forthcoming. At least not when it came to America.

Speaking of real world parallels. The Lupusad situation seems a lot like that of Africans when slavery was all the rage. But you mention they live in another continent and got “discovered” with sticks me morea as what happened with Native Americans. I imagine it more as a mix of both things. Most of central, south and parts of north america are still resented about the whole “columbian exchange” or as we call it here in my motherland: The conquest. Suffice to say the story might be resonate in a lot of places, being invaded, slaved and robbed of your culture, if I remember my history lessons wll is not something that has only happened a handful of times.

Another curious thing is that you decided that in the novel all problems are created by violence and solved by diplomacy. It may be just that i play too many videogames but i am accustomed that, in fiction, most problems are solved by killing a big bad guy and sufficient of their minions. It is refreshing to read something when logic, diplomacy, reason and a commitment to work together even on adversity is what saves the day.

Anyhow, you mentioned Tom’s comic being an inspiration, if you do not mind me asking, do you have any others, either books, games, or real life? Sorry for the weird question it is just i find the creative process of this stuff to be fascinating.

Finally I had some petty issues with the writing: Mainly it is sometimes inconsistent, the narrator appears to change from time to time even if only for the briefest periods and sometimes i just can’t not piece out who was saying what. But it is minor and if you can get this professionally published and editor will probably clean the style up.

Now you did mentioned wanting to turn this into a professionally published piece that can put some money on you wallet. Honestly the quality is there but at the end of the day getting published depends more on whether the publisher things the can make money out of the book.
And your audience is rather niche, it is kinda of hard to classify you work into something. But that is not bad, the whole idea of market is to find an untapped market or demographic and cater to their needs. And i am pretty sure there is little if anything similar to you work anywhere else. Alas i might be wrong.
Also the “social commentary” in your piece is right, front and center. Most companies steer mostly clear of politics and such in fear of alienating their customers. I do not think you should tone it down or anything as most of today's entertainment are innocuous power fantasies designed not to threat the consumer ego and play their biases. It is interesting to see anyone taking a stand on their work.
Besides the “fantastical” setting will help, you can say a lot more in a sci-fi / fantasy novel than in a more “grounded” book, since most people won’t take it as seriously. Just as star trek.
In terms of making money, i see no issue. you did a pretty good job at world building creating an interesting world where to place more stories without risking retelling the same story over and over. Not only that you did leave a few threads lose as if you intent to follow this particular story in the future: Like the foreign involvement on the incident, Jakob fake marriage and future children with Jess, Zyannya life as a chancellor etc…
What i am trying to say is that this sound very franchisable

On a few end notes. I might not be wise to keep this thread alive after looking for publishers, some more save forumers might now more but i am under the impression that most of them want “first publisher” rights. And since this exists that cannot happen. However there seems to exist other sites were you can post your story, get feedback and it does not count towards “first publishing” for some reason. I am definitely not versed on the topic but you should check that out.
Well that was by far more than i expected to write. Sorry to rob you of so much of your time.
Anyways thanks for having created this and when you get this published tell me if you ship to México, I am interesting in buying a copy!
Sorry it took a while to reply (I somehow missed the initial notification), but thanks for your feedback! It's always wonderful hearing new opinions on the story. I'm especially happy to hear that the story surprised you with its direction. I've tried to be mindful of cliches, and avoid them like the plague where possible to keep the story interesting.

The matter of Jacob and Lord Kingsley's characterization is one I've been aware of for a while now, and I've taken steps to improve it early on. It certainly helps that I now have a clear idea of where their characters are going, and what sort of arcs they'll go through. I won't spoil the details, though.

The lupusad names were originally Native American (solely stylistically; I drew inspiration from a few oppressed groups in history, but they're not representative of any one of them in particular), though I've started to simply make up my own ones now that I'm a little more experienced in the field. Albevion is indeed based on Victorian Britain, though it at least initially drew a lot of inspiration from the Thief series of video games. That setting essentially has Victorian-level urbanization coupled with a Medieval society, and a mix of technology from both (e.g. guards carrying swords while patrolling hallways lit by electric lights). A few of those sorts of anachronisms remained in the story - namely with the household guards - but as the story progressed I found myself looking to history more than Thief.

The matter of the Church is certainly intentional. I feel it's a bit overdone to present organized religion in a villainous light, and that it would be more interesting to take it in a different direction. I'm not religious myself (I'd say more agnostic than anything), and I absolutely believe that organized religions have committed harmful actions they deserve to be called out on, but I wanted to present a vision of how I believe religions ought to behave.

Aside from Thief and TwoKinds, as far as inspiration goes the main one was a trilogy of novels called the Lucasfilm Alien Chronicles by Deborah Chester. It was originally going to be an origin story about humans in the Star Wars universe, but licensing issues and a change of author led to it becoming an all-new setting with no humans whatsoever. The novels deal with an oppressive empire that keeps entire species as slaves, and follows one slave in particular as she goes from being the future empress' pet to a gladiator to a rebel leader. By the time I read it, I already had an idea for a proto-H&L setting (basically a post-Christmas Carol Ebenezer Scrooge type character in a steampunk setting), so as I gained an interest in interspecies conflict began to introduce that to the setting. The final product's turned out very different, but still for the better.

I also give Frostpunk an honourable mention as a sort of retroactive inspiration. The premise of the game is that an ice age starts in the late Victorian era, and the player leads an expedition to the coal-rich Arctic to build a city around a large heat generator. I only played it after I finished the initial version of H&L, but I can see some surprising similarities. Some of the buildings - like bunkhouses, soup kitchens and child shelters - definitely give me a H&L vibe. While working on the rewrite, it's encouraged me to place more emphasis on the arrival of winter, and I have another nod or two to the game planned beyond that.

As far as publishing goes, my plan is to take the story down from the thread, but leave the comments in place. Hopefully, this means I can show potential publishers that the original story has received a pretty good response (along with some fanart). I certainly want to be upfront with the fact that the story has been online, which isn't unheard of these days; a lot of stories have been picked up through Wattpad and the like by publishers, though I don't know what they'd make of a smaller forum. Still, the rewrite is also shaping up to be sufficiently different and improved compared to the original, and will likely be a part of a trilogy, which should further help my chances. I've consulted with people at university (I'm doing a writing degree) and even a published author, and I'm fairly optimistic about it.

I think that about covers everything. Again, thank you for your feedback. Hopefully, one day soon you'll be able to get your hands on a copy of the new and improved Human & Lupusad!

Jonesy
Templar Master

#398 Post by Jonesy »

As planned, the time has finally come to take the story down for now, in preparation for future publishing of the re-written version. It's a pretty bittersweet moment; I've got a lot of great memories about uploading chapters and eagerly anticipating people's responses. I'd like to thank you all for following the story all these years, and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I'll be keeping the thread itself up for now in order to keep you all updated on where H&L goes from here.

On the topic of the re-write, it's coming along very well. I'm just finishing up chapter 12, which by my reckoning is over the halfway mark. Everything's working together quite well, and the stakes are high. But I won't spoil anything.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#399 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Jonesy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:44 am As planned, the time has finally come to take the story down for now, in preparation for future publishing of the re-written version. It's a pretty bittersweet moment; I've got a lot of great memories about uploading chapters and eagerly anticipating people's responses. I'd like to thank you all for following the story all these years, and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I'll be keeping the thread itself up for now in order to keep you all updated on where H&L goes from here.

On the topic of the re-write, it's coming along very well. I'm just finishing up chapter 12, which by my reckoning is over the halfway mark. Everything's working together quite well, and the stakes are high. But I won't spoil anything.
Well it was a matter of time. Hopefully once it is finished you are satisfied with your story. I am not a writer by any means but i always have believed the first person to enjoy any sort of work is the creator himself. And by all means enjoy the process,I know is a wonderful thing.

Personally i will be waiting patiently for the rewrite. Just some random thing i thought you should known: You may want to change the title of your novel before any serious, by that i mean legally binding, attempts at publishing. I once mys-typed the title on a search engine and apparently a book titled "Of Wolves and Men" exists and it looks like it is somewhat well known. Alas i am not well versed on publishing law or copyright much less australian copyright and you may already know that but i figured i would not hurt to tell you.

Well now back to waiting:
You number 1 fan in latin america!

P.D. Also any non english-speaking reference and/or perspective you need. I will be happy to help
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#400 Post by Dadrobit »

Ahhhh dang! Have been sick in bed the last week and was right in the middle of going through this. Alas.

Good luck in the re-write and getting this properly published man! :mrgrin:

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#401 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Best of luck Jonesy :)
Thank you for sharing this story with us :D

Also, I hope it's ok with you, but I have copied the story up here to a Word document on my computer just for personal safekeeping.
Don't worry, I'm not going to post it online, but I just want to still be able to read it once you take it down :P
I really look forward to reading the finished product :)

Jonesy
Templar Master

#402 Post by Jonesy »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:37 am
Jonesy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:44 am As planned, the time has finally come to take the story down for now, in preparation for future publishing of the re-written version. It's a pretty bittersweet moment; I've got a lot of great memories about uploading chapters and eagerly anticipating people's responses. I'd like to thank you all for following the story all these years, and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I'll be keeping the thread itself up for now in order to keep you all updated on where H&L goes from here.

Well it was a matter of time. Hopefully once it is finished you are satisfied with your story. I am not a writer by any means but i always have believed the first person to enjoy any sort of work is the creator himself. And by all means enjoy the process,I know is a wonderful thing.

Personally i will be waiting patiently for the rewrite. Just some random thing i thought you should known: You may want to change the title of your novel before any serious, by that i mean legally binding, attempts at publishing. I once mys-typed the title on a search engine and apparently a book titled "Of Wolves and Men" exists and it looks like it is somewhat well known. Alas i am not well versed on publishing law or copyright much less australian copyright and you may already know that but i figured i would not hurt to tell you.

Well now back to waiting:
You number 1 fan in latin america!

P.D. Also any non english-speaking reference and/or perspective you need. I will be happy to help
Thank you! I can see what you mean with that other book title. I suppose if worst comes to worst, I can always just fall back to Human & Lupusad. A lot of series don't introduce subtitles until after the first book.
Dadrobit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:17 am Ahhhh dang! Have been sick in bed the last week and was right in the middle of going through this. Alas.

Good luck in the re-write and getting this properly published man! :mrgrin:
Ah, sorry about that. I'd hoped to avoid it by announcing it in advance. Probably doesn't help that Australia's a day ahead of most of the world due to time zones.
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 am Best of luck Jonesy :)
Thank you for sharing this story with us :D

Also, I hope it's ok with you, but I have copied the story up here to a Word document on my computer just for personal safekeeping.
Don't worry, I'm not going to post it online, but I just want to still be able to read it once you take it down :P
I really look forward to reading the finished product :)
As long as it's for your own use, that's fine.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#403 Post by Warrl »

There is no LEGAL issue with reusing a title, unless it's trademarked - and very few are.

There may be a PRACTICAL issue, particularly if the two books might be confused. In this instance... the fact that "of wolves and men" would be a subtitle, the genre, the likely cover, would all firmly establish that they are very unrelated and identify which is real-world and which is a fantasy. Anyone looking for Jonesy's book would probably use the main title, rather than the subtitle.

And looking for that title (correctly spelled) on Google, even without quotes around it, already returns links related to Jonesy's book as the first three non-image results. Adding quotes makes anonfox's fanfic chapter the 4th result.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#404 Post by Dadrobit »

Warrl wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:11 am There is no LEGAL issue with reusing a title, unless it's trademarked - and very few are.
Correct. Copyright protection is aimed at protecting larger, tangible, and fixed pieces of work. But because the titles of said works are A) very short and B) use very common words and phrases, they are not in and of themselves protected. Hence "Let it go" being used as a song title 45 times, an album title 10 times, the title to an episode of various shows 4 times, and even once as the title of a book. :mrgrin:

In regards to the search relevancy, can confirm in both Bing and DuckDuckGo, "Human & Lupusad - Of Men and Wolves" and "Human & Lupusad" both turn up results pointing towards Jonesy's work. However "Of Men and Wolves" (reasonably enough) only returns results of anything but, and largely focuses on Barry Lopez's work.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#405 Post by Technic[Bot] »

As i mentioned I have a very limited understanding of legal copyright. I just thought it would be a good idea yo let Mr Jonesy know about the existence of that other book sooner rather than later.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide