Human & Lupusad - Of Men and Wolves [Mature Content]

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Human & Lupusad - Of Men and Wolves

#91 Post by Jonesy »

cj3003 wrote:I've read most of chapter 1, and I have to say, it's a rather intriguing book! When I'm not busy writing myself, I'll have to read the rest and tell you want I think. I'm impressed, to say the least. Compared to some of the other books on the forums I've seen, this one grabbed my attention. Plus, you've gotten quite popular! Damn, I hope one day my series can get that amount of views :P
Thanks! I've been having a read of your work as well, and the first few chapters have been quite good so far.

cj3003
Apprentice

#92 Post by cj3003 »

Jonesy wrote:Thanks! I've been having a read of your work as well, and the first few chapters have been quite good so far.
You are welcome, my friend. Truly, you're book is a great read (despite me being on chapter 3, but I don't think it's too early to judge) and already excel past the others I've read. Also, I hope you enjoy our book! I'd love to hear your opinions on it.

The damn sequel, oooooh! I'm so happy to write it, I have so much built up hype for the book!!!
I am the silliest noodle.

Jonesy
Templar Master

#93 Post by Jonesy »

Next chapter is a couple of days away, but here's a side project I've whipped up yesterday.

Jonesy: Hello, and welcome to this MSTing of Human & Lupusad. I’m your host, Jonesy, and also the author of this story. Now, for those of you unaware, the practice of MSTing stems from the American sci-fi comedy Mystery Science Theatre 3000. In each episode, the main cast of three are seated in a cinema and forced to watch a bad movie in the name of science. To keep themselves sane, the cast would provide a humorous running commentary of ‘riffs’ and other jokes, which even then wasn’t always enough. But we should fare better than that tonight, where I’m joined by two figments of my imagination. Please welcome our favourite marsupial engineer, Virbon from Desulti Chronicles!

Virbon: G’day! Great to be here.

Jonesy: And a newer face, the xenophilic ex-marine from Recovered Personal Journal, Connor Norman!

Connor: Hey, all.

Jonesy: It’s a pleasure to have you both here. I don’t know about you two, but I enjoyed writing both of you. Are you ready to make fun of your successor?

Connor: Always.

Virbon: I’m as ready as I’ll ever be. Let me at it!

Chapter One – A New Life

Virbon: The old one clearly wasn’t all it cracked up to be.

Jonesy: Clearly.

All it took was one perilous night

Jonesy (singing): … in Bangkok to make a hard man humble.

to wrench her from her home.

Down in the ship’s hold, there was no way of seeing the sun rise or set.

Connor: Windows were a foreign concept to shipwrights at the time.

She slept when she was tired, and ate when she was hungry.

Connor: She occasionally spiced things up by sleeping when she was hungry and eating when she was tired.

Her parents had provided some food for the journey, but Zyanya was forced to beg the crew for scraps before the end. It was that, or start hunting for the rats that scurried around in the shadows.

Jonesy (in British accent): Day three. My quarry evaded me this long, but by Jove I bested him! After a long, arduous hunt and thorough thrashing, I shall dine on rat tonight!

Where she was going to go, or what she would do, was beyond her.

Connor: She hadn’t read that far into the script.

At 17 years of age, Zyanya was practically an adult (by human standards). It was possible that she could find work,

Virbon: Assuming her resume’s up to snuff.

if she knew where to seek it. If she was lucky, perhaps she would find more lupusad in the city. They might be willing to help her. Even if they just pointed her in the right direction.

Connor (pointing): That-a-way.

But she feared that nobody would help her, and that she would have to find her own way. I’ll think of something.

Sleep was fitful, and more often than not filled with dreams of her parents.

Virbon: The rest of the time, she dreamed of going to school and answering questions wrong.

Jonesy: I hate those dreams.

Connor: Most people dream of going to school naked. You two are such nerds.

The moment they said goodbye was one she would never forget. As a poor lupusad family in the human colony of Kempsford, they did all they could for Zyanya and her brothers.

Jonesy (singing): Mama used dance for the money they’d throw. Papa would do whatever he cooooould...

Father worked long hours unloading cargo by the docks and railyard, while Mother followed the alchemist’s trade. She always wanted Zyanya to do the same, and taught her as much as she could. Her two sons,

Jonesy (as Brian Blessed): HARRY, AND ANOTHER ONE!

Iduel and Coteo, wanted to be different things every week (or so it seemed), but she knew they’d make up their minds one day.

They never would. The two never came home after going out to search for work or alms one day. Taken by slavers, right off the street. But there was nothing they could do. The Watch wouldn’t care, and they would be killed if they fought back. The penalty for a lupusad killing a human, even a free lupusad killing a slaver, was death.

But when slavers invaded their home one night, Father had no other choice.

Connor: So… it didn’t occur to him to knock them out? Take one hostage? Kill one to scare off the other? Not to open the damn door for them in the first place?

Jonesy: Shh!

Zyanya never saw what happened; only what came after. In the other room in their cramped two-room tenement, two humans lay face down in their own blood.

Jonesy: Double-kill!

Father sat panting, covered in their blood, while Mother fretted and ushered her out of the room. That night, she heard them talk for hours, both aware that there would be repercussions. Come morning, they had made a heartbreaking decision; Zyanya would no longer be safe with them, so they would send her away.

Connor: It was that, or sell her to the gypsies.

Of course, she refused at first, until they convinced her otherwise. There was no guarantee that she wouldn’t be punished alongside them, if the Watch believed her to be an accomplice to the murder. She would face imprisonment or execution, or at the very least be thrown out into the streets where people would know what her parents had done.

Virbon: Na-na-ne-na-na! Zyanya’s parents were executed!

She still didn’t like the arrangement her parents were making, but was aware of the danger she would be in if she stayed. An act of revenge was just as likely as arrest. And so Father used what little money they had to purchase her passage on a merchant’s galley. They said their goodbyes, and she set sail.

“<We’ll always love you, Zyanya,>” Mother had said, nuzzling her just before she boarded.

Connor: Which is why we’re sending you away with no prospects at your destination.

“<This way, you’ll have a future.>”

Virbon: Given that this is the first chapter, it’s a bit of a forlorn conclusion.

“<What about you?>” Zyanya had asked, tears welling up in her eyes.

Jonesy: You’ll get your answers in chapters 11 and 12.

“<There’s nothing you can do,>” answered Father, scratching her between the ears. “<If we can somehow get out of this, we’ll come for you. All that matters is that you’re safe.>”

How could I be safe? They’re sending me to the middle of human lands, where I’m supposed to just go on with my life. Assuming I don’t get enslaved or killed. But had she stayed, she may well have been executed alongside her parents. Even if she and her mother were spared, they would likely have been imprisoned or enslaved anyway. Zyanya hoped that she could make the most of the chance her parents were giving her.

Virbon: The plot demands it!

Zyanya stood up, and paced around the hold to stretch her legs. Normally, she would try and figure out the contents of the various crates and barrels based on the scent inside. But her thoughts were elsewhere. It’s not fair. If those slavers hadn’t been in our home, I’d still be with my family. If Iduel and Coteo hadn’t been abducted, they could be there too. She knew that she couldn’t do anything about it, and her inability bothered her. It was too easy to fall into the trap of wondering how things could have turned out.

Connor: Similar to the trap of “tell, don’t show”.

Jonesy: Uh-huh.

Upon returning to the little camp she had set up, she sat atop her blanket and closed her eyes with a sigh. Would any of this have happened if she was human? No. Apparently her kind was beneath theirs.

Opening her eyes, she held her hand up to examine it.

Connor: Physical description incoming!

It had pawlike padding on the underside, and, like the rest of her body, was covered in soft, brown fur. Turning her attention to the few belongings she had brought with her, Zyanya picked up a small pocket mirror and stared at the reflection of her face. Her muzzle. Her triangular ears. Her yellow eyes.

Connor (elbowing Virbon): Sounds like your kind of gal.

Virbon: I’m spoken for, mate.

Did humans think that lupusad were animals? They certainly looked the part, even if they were clearly intelligent.

Zyanya’s thoughts were interrupted by footsteps approaching the hold. A muscular, black-furred lupusad, a slave owned by the captain, entered and began checking the cargo for damage. Or to make sure she hadn’t broken into anything. He had said little to her during the journey, but had brought her food more than once.

Connor: C’mon, girl! Beg! Beg, girl!

Virbon (as Zyanya): Arf!

Some small part of her appreciated his rugged, lupine appearance.

“We’re there,” he said gruffly, as he passed her. “In a few minutes, we’ll be at the dock. You can get off when you’re ready, but don’t get in the way.”

Virbon: Please collect your luggage and exit the ship in an orderly fashion.

“I’ll try,” Zyanya said, standing up. “Thanks for the food, before.”

He paused, not expecting to be thanked, and scratched her between the ears.

Virbon: Scritch, scritch, scritch.

“Human lands aren’t a friendly place for our kind. But you’re a good girl, and I wish you well.”

Unsure what to think of the exchange, particularly the sudden affection, Zyanya gathered up her meagre belongings. Aside from her mirror and the clothes on her back, she had a second pair of clothes, a blanket, her mortar and pestle

Jonesy: From the Elder Scrolls Collection of alchemical apparatus.

and a necklace she’d had since birth. She held it tightly for a moment, before slipping it around her neck and wrapping the blanket around everything else. Nodding to the other lupusad, she left the hold and made her way up on deck.

People tend to smell Esterton long before they see it.

Virbon: Same goes for my mother-in-law.

Jonesy: At least it means she can’t sneak up on you.

Virbon: I never said that.

The soot was definitely noticeable to Zyanya’s acute sense of smell. Stepping outside, she saw long rows of ramshackle wooden houses stretching across the waterfront as far as the eye could see. Larger buildings of stone, bricks and metal jutted up beyond them, with one of the city’s iconic clocktowers soaring above the rest.

Connor: How many clocktowers does this city need?

Virbon: Several, apparently.

Chimneys sat atop houses and factories everywhere, spewing smoke towards the overcast sky. Zyanya stood staring in amazement at the metropolis; it was much larger than Kempsford.

As impressive an achievement the city was for humanity, deep down she knew it wasn’t the place for a lupusad. That would be half a world away, in the forests of another continent.

Connor: Exposition time!

Virbon: Yay!

Humans may have their sprawling cities, but lupusad traditionally lived off the land in much smaller, simpler settlements. As a cub, Zyanya had heard stories from her mother about how their kind traditionally live.

Virbon: In loincloths.

History, legends, traditions and customs were passed down from mother to daughter, as had been done for generations. Taking it in with fascination, Zyanya had asked if they would live like that one day. With a sympathetic smile, her mother had simply replied that perhaps they would one day.

Connor: Aww, she’s lying to keep her daughter happy.

Zyanya had believed it, at the time. But as she grew up, she began to realize the truth behind the promise; it was unlikely that they would ever return to that way of life. They lived amongst humans, and lived like them. But they weren’t humans. They weren’t even considered equals. Whether or not the lupusad would ever be allowed to return to their ancestral homeland was unclear. While she took solace in the fact that things could have be much worse for her, Zyanya sometimes felt she was being denied her intended way of life.

Focusing back on the present,

Connor: And taking a break from the exposition dump.

she weaved through a throng of lupusad slaves and human sailors and walked down the gangplank. Beyond the dock was a warehouse complex, surrounded by stacked cargo. Workers scurried around, moving wares indoors or to the dock under the watchful eye of patrolling guards.

Connor: Not like they’re going to walk out with a crate under their shirt.

Still gazing around, she stepped off the dock and began walking towards the warehouses. I have no idea where I’m meant to go from here. If I could find an exit to the street, maybe I could find some other lupusads, and see if they…

“Oi!” yelled an unseen voice.

Connor: Do you think it’s the Invisible Man?

Virbon: Not sure. Does he appear in this story?

Jonesy: I haven’t seen him.

“You there, girl!”

Zyanya turned and saw two human dock workers approaching. One was huge; bigger than any other human she had seen. His companion was scrawny by comparison. The larger man was scowling at her, while his friend looked indifferent.

“What are you doing here?” asked the man-mountain.

Jonesy (in Irish accent): You tell them, Butler.

Jonesy (in gruff voice): Stay back, Artemis. Let me handle this.

“I was on the ship.” she explained,

Connor: You don’t say.

unsure of what she’d done wrong.

“A stowaway, eh?”

“No. My parents paid for me to…”

“Oh, so they bribed the crew.”

Zyanya opened her mouth to protest, but didn’t know what to say. She hadn’t expected to be accused of anything. But what if he was right? Maybe her passage wasn’t legal. If that was the case, she shouldn’t argue.

“My apologies,” she said, trying to look and sound as innocent as possible. “I didn’t realize that it was wrong. My parents arranged everything, and they might not have known either.”

Virbon: Persuade check failed.

“You really expect us to believe that? Maybe we…”

“Come on,” said the scrawny man to his companion. “Quit trying to scare her. Take her to the office and hand her over to the Watch. We got work to do”

“T-the Watch?” Zyanya stammered, panic swelling inside her. “No! You can’t…”

“You don’t get a say in the matter, dog.” the larger man snapped at her.

Virbon: Oh, snap!

“What’s going on here?” interrupted a new voice; commanding, with a hint of disgust.

Jonesy: Nobody puts Puppy in a corner!

Several more humans had approached the two. The one who spoke was older than the others, had a stern expression and wore well-cut clothing. Another well-dressed human,

Connor: The other protagonist.

a concerned-looking youth, stood silently a few steps behind. They had similar faces and black hair, to the point where they might be father and son. A pair of expressionless guards flanked them.

Virbon (as guard): Huh. Boss ain’t having none of this.

Connor (as other guard): Nope.

“We caught a stowaway, sir.” explained the larger human.

“And scared the poor girl half to death! Get back to work. I’ll deal with her.”

The workers obliged, and walked away without giving Zyanya another look. The older man watched them leave, before approaching her. Getting a better look him, she saw early signs of old age in his face. Enough to give him an air of maturity and experience, but not at the expense of capability. His expression softened as he spoke to her.

“You are unhurt, I trust?” he asked, softly.

Connor: Was his voice as soft as his expression?

“Yes, I’m fine.”

The man introduced himself as Gregory Kingsley; owner of the warehouse complex. He also apologized for the behaviour of his workers, and asked if there was any truth to their accusations. Zyanya vehemently denied what they had said. Much to her relief, he seemed to believe her, and assured her that he would not turn her over to the Watch.

Changing the subject, he introduced her to his son Jakob. The young man looked her over as she approached him beside Gregory. Zyanya saw that he was barely a year or two older than herself. Their eyes met for a moment, and she saw that his held no malice. If anything, he seemed to be curious about her. Little did she know how big a role he would play in her life.

Connor: She hadn’t read that far into the script.

- - -

Gregory turned, and led the lupusad girl towards Jakob. She was slightly younger than he was, and had predominately light brown fur with some darker markings around her face and arms.

Connor: A second physical description for good measure. In case someone missed the first.

While he was no expert on facial expressions, Jakob noticed that her ears were backed and her tail unmoving. Considering her clothing – cloth breeches and a leather jerkin –

Virbon: Zyanya is wearing our spring collection…

she was clearly a commoner.

What she was doing at the complex was unclear. If she is a stowaway, Father doesn’t seem to mind.

Jakob had known a few lupusad; there were a number working at the family estate, with their gardener Rayen being something of a family friend. Beyond that, the remainder of his knowledge about them came from books.

Jonesy: And the collection of Heat magazine that he keeps under his bed.

Connor: *gagging*

Hailing from another continent, they were a bestial race resembling wolves physically and biologically. Despite their appearance, they were keenly intelligent and had established a primitive society focused around packs.

Virbon: Resealable ones at that.

Since contact with humans, many wound up as slaves or indentured servants. Although it wasn’t unheard of for lupusad to live free in human society, even they tended to be poor due to inferior wages and working conditions compared to humans.

“Zyanya, this is my son Jakob,” said Gregory.

“A pleasure to meet you,” Jolted from his thoughts, Jakob extended a hand. The girl made no move to shake it.

Virbon: The chemistry is off to a good start.

“Why don’t you take her to the cafeteria while I continue the inspection,” Gregory said to Jakob, before turning back to Zyanya. “I’m sure a hot meal would be welcome after your journey.”

“That does sound nice,” she admitted.

Jakob walked with Zyanya to the other side of the complex, followed by one of his father’s bodyguards.

Virbon (as guard): Don’t mind me.

On the way, he tried making small talk by telling her more about the business that took place there. The complex was one of several businesses owned by the Kingsleys, and one of the most profitable.

Connor: Does he really expect that to be something she wants to hear about?

She didn’t seem interested, so he dropped the subject quickly.

Connor: See?

To either side of them stood a large brick warehouse, each used to store all manner of cargo before it was shipped elsewhere. Up ahead was a smaller one, which had been refurbished to hold the cafeteria, site offices and some spaces rented to small businesses.

The cafeteria sat in what used to be part of the warehouse floor, but now had a second floor constructed above for the offices. About half a dozen tables and benches sat neatly lined up, all unused after the prescribed break. Jakob offered Zyanya a seat at one of the benches while he went to the adjoining kitchen. The cook, a wizened old man in an apron, begrudgingly agreed to put something together from lunch’s leftovers.

Jonesy: One word to Daddy, and Jakob could make him lose his job.

When Jakob returned from the kitchen, he was holding a plate of roast beef and baked potatoes.

No sooner had he put the plate down on the table than Zyanya began to devour the contents.

Virbon: *feral eating noises*

It wasn’t the table manners Jakob was used to, but he did notice her ears rise a little. I suppose I can’t blame her. I don’t think she’s eaten this well in some time. Not wanting to stare at her while she ate, he looked around the cafeteria. Since there was a shift on, there were only a couple of workers there. They seemed to glance at him and Zyanya from time to time, but stopped when they saw Jakob looking back at them.

“Feeling better?” he asked, once Zyanya had finished.

“Much,” she replied, smiling.

Connor: Could have used some ketchup.

“I'm glad you enjoyed it. But, if you would permit me to ask, what brings you to Esterton?”

Jonesy: The plot.

Her smile disappeared, and she averted her gaze. I shouldn’t have asked. She sighed, and explained that her parents were in danger. Since she was reluctant to disclose how exactly, Jakob decided not to make her any more uncomfortable by inquiring further. He listened on, until she finished her explanation.

“I’m…I’m sorry to hear about your predicament,” Jakob said at last. “Do you have any idea what you’ll do now?”

Connor: He hasn’t read that far into the script.

“I was planning on finding some other lupusads. They might be able to help me, but…I suppose there’s no guarantee that they will.”

She has nowhere to go, does she? Doesn’t know anyone here, either. The city will chew her up and spit her out before she knows what’s happening. Jakob wracked his brain,

Virbon: Sounds painful.

trying to decide if he should try and do something to help. He could give her some coin before she left, but that would still leave too many problems for her. An idea formed in his mind.

Jonesy: Well… by ‘his mind’ I think we can agree it means ‘my mind’. ‘Cause, you know, I wrote this…

Connor: Yeah, yeah. We know.

“Maybe…I could speak to my father. He may be able to set you up with a job somewhere. It probably wouldn’t be much, but you’d have wages and possibly even lodging.”

Zyanya blinked, and opened her mouth to speak.

Connor: Skipping this vital step in the speaking process can lead to embarrassment.

Obviously, this wasn’t something she was expecting. Jakob became conscious that he might be getting her hopes up a little too much for something that would be up to his father.

“I…I couldn’t ask that of you,” she eventually managed. “But…it would help me a lot.”

“Well, don’t get too excited just yet. I’ll need to ask, first. It’s not my decision to make.”

“I see. Is your father is a rich man?”

Connor: A question she’s asking despite knowing that he owns several profitable businesses.

Though Jakob was not one to boast, he could confirm that for her. He described how the Kingsleys had been merchants for generations, and built up a sizeable empire over the years. Jakob himself would likely take it over one day, when it was handed down by his father. Zyanya seemed interested, but not particularly impressed.

To strike up another conversation,

Virbon: Because he did such a cracking job last time.

Jakob asked about her family, and she revealed that she was the daughter of a dock worker and an alchemist. Having had a casual interest in alchemy when he was younger,

Connor: Conveniently enough.

Jakob recalled a time he tried to copy an alchemical recipe he’d read in a book. He had mixed two mildly volatile substances over heat, and was smoked out of the room as a result.

Jonesy: And to think, most youth his age were experimenting with drugs instead.

At the time he had gotten into trouble for it, but looked back at the experiment fondly. Even Zyanya seemed genuinely amused by the story.

Connor: I’m certainly amused by the story so far.

Jonesy: That hurt.

Connor: OK, I’m sorry.

The two eventually opened up to one another, and talked more about themselves and what they had done in their lives while they waited for Gregory to return. In spite of their differences, the more he got to know her, the more Jakob began to ignore his doubts about offering Zyanya a job through his father. She seems nice enough. I suppose she deserves the gesture, at least.

Virbon: Ah, well. Chemistry’s better late than never.

Within the hour, Gregory eventually came to check up on them. He politely asked after Zyanya’s meal, to which she expressed her satisfaction and gratitude.

Virbon: A fancy way of saying “It was nice, thank you”.

Jakob then asked to speak with him in private, and followed him upstairs to his office. It was nowhere near as impressive as his study back at the estate, considering it wasn’t used as often. One wall was dominated by a bookcase, and another had windows overlooking the yard. Father and son sat down at opposite ends of the desk while their guards stood outside,

Connor: Wait… so, the guard accompanying Jakob and Zyanya just stood around for a small age while they talked? Or did he just dematerialize?

Jonesy: He was there. Patience is not only a virtue, but a job requirement for a household guard.

and Jakob explained the offer he had made to Zyanya.

“This is an unusual request you’re making,” Gregory began. “But I understand that you’re trying to help her. You’re nearly an adult now, and capable of making your own decisions. But don’t forget that I’m still the head of the family.”

Jonesy: I like to read that last line in an Italian Mafioso’s accent.

“I’m aware of that,” replied Jakob. “That’s why I’m bringing it up with you.”

“Well, you both may be in luck,” he continued. “If I recall correctly, we still have quarters for an additional servant or two. And Rayen has been asking for an assistant to help her with the garden. It might benefit her to have one of her own kind.”

Virbon: Her being the racist bigot she is.

“One moment…you’re going to give her a job at our estate?” This was something Jakob had not expected. He had thought that Zyanya would be sent to work at one of the businesses they owned. This arrangement might actually be better, since they would probably see each other regularly. But when did that become a priority?

Connor: When the chemistry started?

“Correct. I imagine I could find her a position elsewhere, but I believe she is suitable to fulfil Rayen’s request. There’s just the issue now of her wages. Since this arrangement is taking place at your request, I intend for you to pay them from your own pocket.”

Virbon: Sounds like my mum when I started at university and needed to pay my fees.

Every month, Jakob received a small cut of the family’s profits. Although he’d never had to subtract wages from it before, he was willing to accept the arrangement. Gregory nodded, and dismissed him so he could quickly complete some paperwork before they left for the estate. Thanking his father for helping his newfound friend, Jakob left to tell Zyanya the good news.

Jonesy (as Professor Farnsworth): Goods news, Zyanya!

- - -

“[censored],” mouthed one of the workers on the other side of the room.

Conner: “Ape,” Zyanya mouthed right back.

Zyanya turned her head to ignore him. Human discrimination was nothing new to her, and she knew there was no point getting upset about it. Besides, Jakob shouldn’t be much longer. She didn’t know if his father would give her a job. Might be too good to be true.

Connor: Hell of a red herring, in that case.

But she was still grateful that he had made her the offer. Jakob wouldn’t be the first human she had known; she had regularly played with several as a child, before they grew up and began to treat her differently. Instead of being their friend, I just became a lupusad that they knew.

Jonesy (singing): You were just a lupusad that I used to know, but now you’re just a lupusad that I used to know…

But there was something different about him. Possibly because he was rich, or just for showing her kindness in her uncertain time.

Virbon: Or it could be the fact they’re going to get it on.

In any case, she was already willing to call him a friend.

“Well, I’ve discussed it with my father,” Jakob returned and sat down opposite her. “He’s willing to hire you to assist the gardener at our estate. She’s also a lupusad, so you should get along fine. You’ll be provided with room and board as well.”

Zyanya had never thought about being a gardener.

Jonesy: Featherweight boxer, yes. But never a gardener.

Her mother had kept a few potted plants and herbs, but not a proper garden. It might not be that bad. I’ll do it. She considered hugging Jakob, but decided that it would embarrass him. Especially in front of the workers.

Virbon (as Jakob): Zyanya, please. Not in front of the workers.

“My friend,” she whispered, reaching over and grasping his hand. “That sounds wonderful. Thank you.”

Conner: Holding hands is less embarrassing than a friendly hug, apparently.

“I was hoping you’d approve,” he replied, staring at her paw-like hand absentmindedly. “We should be headed back soon, so we can take you with us.”

For a few minutes, there was silence between the two.

Virbon: Awk-waaard…

Jakob still seemed distracted, and there seemed to be something Zyanya couldn't put a name to in his brown eyes.

Connor: His pupils.

She realized that she was going to be living with him now. I hope he doesn't mind.

Gregory came to collect them shortly after. After he bid farewell to the foreman, who gave Zyanya a strange look, they walked out onto the street. Commoners jostled past, rubbing elbows and going about their daily business. A handful of stalls were set up where merchants pitched their wares to uninterested passers-by.

Connor (as merchant): Rat! Get your roast rat here!

Virbon (as merchant): Carved driftwood for your mantelpiece, sir? Care for some carved driftwood?

Cheap housing lined the opposite side of the street, much like where Zyanya had lived. Home.

A two-horse carriage sat waiting for them. The coachman helped Jakob and Gregory inside while their guards watched the crowds. They moved away before Zyanya could enter. She was about to climb up herself when Jakob extended a hand to aid her.

Connor: Because he’s just that nice.

He lifted her and her belongings inside,

Connor: And strong, it seems.

and she sat down next to him. The coachman shouted something,

Virbon (as coachman): SOMETHING!

and the carriage lurched forward as it began its journey.

Gregory had a long discussion with Jakob, seemingly pleased about the productive trip. There was talk of the warehouse operations and how they would be kept running smoothly, and some contracts from one Lord Dunard being approved. It didn't mean much to Zyanya, so she stared out the window instead.

Connor: I’m disappointed she didn’t stick her head out. You know, like a dog.

Virbon and Jonesy: That’s racist!

They had left the docks district, and were now in a more built up part of the city. The buildings were taller and built of stone and bricks as well as wood, but the place still had the unmistakable air of poverty. The buildings were beginning to show signs of disrepair, and the haphazard architecture implied a lack of planning.

Connor: Being an architect, this fascinated Zyanya.

Commoners still flocked about the place, alongside the occasional patrolling Watch officer.

It was well into the afternoon when they reached the Kingsley estate. The opulent surroundings stood in stark contrast to the rest of the city. Several spacious properties ringed a large plaza filled with trees and statues of long-dead historical figures. A gentle rain began falling as the carriage approached one of the properties, was waved through the gate and started up a gravel approach.

The passengers were let out before the estate proper.

Connor: The perfect place to admire the architecture.

The windowed marble facade stretched in an approximate semicircle around a half-courtyard, and stood two stories high. The ground was mostly paved, but beautiful boxed flowers grew at regular intervals along the wall. Several servants stood by the entry to greet Gregory and Jakob. After going through the motions, they and the guards were dismissed.

Virbon (as Gregory): Go on! Get!

“Now, Zyanya,” said Gregory, turning to her and clasping his hands. “If you wish, we can go to my office to organize your work contract now. That way, we can get you settled in by tonight.”

She nodded, and followed him into the entrance hall. The tiled floor was adorned with fine rugs, and the walls were mostly decorative panelled wood with tapestries. A silver chandelier hung over them, illuminating the room.

Virbon: Begging to be swung from.

Zyanya was still in awe at the size of the place, let alone the extravagance. And now I’m going to live here, in a way.

Gregory led her up an adjoining staircase to the second floor. Jakob was about to follow them up, but offered to fetch Rayen instead. His father told him it was a good idea, and continued up the stairs. Several generations of Kingsleys stared down from their portraits

Jonesy (as portrait): Hey, how’s it going?

as Gregory led her partway through a hallway to his office.

The room wasn’t particularly large, but still remarkably well furnished. The centre of the room was dominated by a large oaken desk. An antique globe of the world, two well-stocked bookcases, some antique swords on a wall rack

Connor: Anton Chekhov demands that those to be used in a swordfight at some point in the story.

Jonesy: Eh…

and several paintings surrounded it. Gregory sat behind the desk and lit a small lamp. Fishing a key from his pocket, he unlocked and rummaged through one of the draws. Zyanya sat down opposite him, looking at one of the paintings. It showed a distant castle surrounded by grassy hills, given an orange hue by the setting sun. The castle seemed so insignificant to the wilderness bordering it. It’s a stranger there. Like me in this city.

Virbon (as Zyanya): Because I, too, am a castle.

Gregory eventually found what he was searching for, and placed a document before him. But perhaps that’s about to change. He picked up a quill from a nearby pot and wrote on it for several minutes.

Connor: Victorian era technology, and they haven’t invented the pen.

Jonesy: They have. Just call him old fashioned.

Replacing the quill, he looked up and explained the conditions of her employment. She would be paid the standard monthly wage for a servant, and be provided with both meals and her own private quarters. Everything else, namely clothing and additional furnishings, would be her responsibility. The work she would do would take place during daylight hours, with the specific start and end times determined by the gardener. She would also be permitted time off at the end of the week if there was no outstanding work to be done.

Connor: In a temporal phenomenon known as a ‘weekend’.

“Now, you may review this before you sign,” he said, sliding it across the desk to her. “Can you read? Write?”

"I was taught both, but I’m not the best at it,” Zyanya took the contract and read over it. Some of the wording wasn't familiar to her, but as far as she could tell the details were the same as what Gregory had told her.

Jonesy: Aside from the part regarding her soul.

She had never signed anything before, and had to come up with her signature on the spot. The final result looked a lot like her name written with poor handwriting, but it worked.

There was a gentle knock at the door. Gregory called out for them to enter. A grey-furred lupusad woman, about Gregory’s age, entered and walked to the desk. She regarded Zyanya with pleasant surprise.

Virbon (as Rayen): Aha! New meat!

“Rayen,” Gregory stood up and shook her hand. “This is Zyanya. I’ve just hired her to assist you.”

“Ah, wonderful. I appreciate that you remembered to look into finding someone.” She turned to Zyanya. “And having another lupusad woman to work with is a bonus. I’m looking forward to getting to know you.”

Virbon: If you know what I mean.

Zyanya returned the sentiment. Rayen seemed quite friendly; probably the sort of person she wanted to work with. Gregory piped up, asking if he and Rayen could discuss something in private.

Jonesy: I ship them.

Rayen added that she would give her a tour of the estate once they were finished. Jakob was also waiting for her outside.

“How did you get on?” he asked, as she exited the office.

Virbon (as Zyanya): Just fine, you patronizing [censored].

“Fine. I signed the contract, and met your gardener. She seems friendly enough.”

“Well, it’s nice to hear. I really hope you feel comfortable here. After all, it sounds like you’ve been through a lot lately.”

“You are too kind,” she smiled, raising her arms to hug him. To her surprise, he moved to return the gesture. “If I didn't know better…”

Jonesy (as Zyanya): … you taking me in was part of some romance story.

“Jakob!”

Both dropped their arms and turned. A young boy with some Kingsley family resemblance was running hurriedly towards them. Jakob explained that it was his brother, Richard.

“My lessons finally finished, and I heard you’d come back! How was it?” Richard beamed up at Jakob expectantly.

Jonesy: Using the ship’s transporter pad.

“Not very exciting. Everything is running smoothly. Father also had time to sign some contracts. Nothing you would find interesting.”

“Oh, alright,” the boy turned to Zyanya. “Who are you?”

“I am Zyanya,” she replied. “I’m the new gardener.”

Connor: Gardener’s assistant, you mean.

Virbon: Remember your place!

“But we already have a gardener. Ray’s really nice.”

“Yes, I know. I’m going to help her with her work around the garden.”

Jakob interrupted, suggesting that Richard fetch his work in order to show his progress to their father. As the boy went away, Rayen emerged and offered to show Zyanya around the estate. Jakob said he would speak with her again in a few days, to see how she settles in. She thanked him one last time and gave an affectionate lick on the cheek, which seemed to puzzle him,

Virbon (as Jakob): Affection from a girl? Why, I never!

before following Rayen downstairs.

On the way down, she explained that the second floor of the estate held the Kingsley family’s private residences, the guest rooms, a couple of bathrooms and a greenhouse. As Zyanya was lead around the first floor, she was shown the dining room, salon, library, a public bathroom

Connor: I’m guessing that means ‘a bathroom the servants have access to’, and not ‘a bathroom any scumbag off the street can smoke drugs in’.

and the kitchen. Adjoining this was the servant’s quarters, where she was shown to her room. Rayen opened the door, flicked on the ceiling light with a wall-mounted switch,

Connor: In a setting where electricity is new and expensive, the Kingsleys can afford to waste money on outfitting their servants’ quarters with electric lights?

Jonesy: You’ve actually got a good point there.

and gestured for Zyanya to enter.

As she had imagined, it was quite cramped inside. There was enough room for a bed, wooden chest and small wardrobe, but little else. There was a curtained window on the far wall, but it had become too dark outside to examine the view clearly.

Virbon: Even with the inside light on.

Connor: Expensive electric light, remember.

Sitting down on the bed, she found that it was surprisingly comfortable. Rayen came in and gave her a key to the room, and another for the chest.

Jonesy: Remember, kids; don’t reuse your passwords across multiple websites. Or… you know… keys across multiple locks.

Locking her belongings in the chest, Zyanya followed Rayen to dinner with the rest of the servants.

They were seated around a large table in a communal area between the kitchen and their quarters. The meal, consisting of sliced ham, loaves of bread and some cheese, was just being brought out as Zyanya sat beside Rayen. Taking her plateful,

Connor: Which had been conveniently prepared by the prescient cook.

she realized that of the dozen or so other servants, nearly half of them were lupusad. They, along with several of the humans, introduced themselves to her.

Conversation swelled around the table, and included Zyanya at several points. Once again, she was asked about where she had come from,

Jonesy: And where did she go.

and she stood by her deliberately vague answer as politely as she could. Despite receiving a few concerned looks, she was assured that she would be safe and among friends at the estate.

Virbon: Tricking her into a false sense of security.

Thinking back at how far she had come in a matter of hours, and looking at the faces around her, she believed them.

Virbon: Which is exactly what they want her to think.

Eventually, once dinner had ended and the plates were returned to the kitchen, the servants bid each other good night before turning in. Rayen told her that their work would begin the following day, and that she would begin to teach her everything she needed to know.

Jonesy (as Rayen): This is a shovel. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Zyanya wasn't exactly excited to begin work, but knew that she needed the money and housing. The gardens seem to be quite nice from what I’ve seen. Maybe I’ll actually enjoy looking after them.

Returning to her quarters, Zyanya began rearranging her belongings to help settle in. Her second set of clothes went in the wardrobe, and she spread the blanket over the bed covers. She almost took off her necklace to leave in the chest with her mortar and pestle, but decided to leave it on.

Connor: Not going to be uncomfortable to sleep with, at all.

With fatigue beginning to take its toll on her, she climbed into bed.

It was overwhelming to think about what she had gone through. After being sent away from her family, and spending days in near isolation, she should be left with nothing. Instead, through a chance encounter she met someone who gave her a job. And a home. And hope.

Connor: And food.

That was something she had never expected, but would always be thankful for.

She felt a tear in her eye when she saw her parents in her mind’s eye. She had no way of knowing if they had been arrested, or even if they were still alive. On her voyage, she had convinced herself that if she had stayed with them, at least she would know what had become of them.

Jonesy: But chapter 12, though.

Now, she was beginning to realize that they may have been right to send her here. Now, she was safe, and would have a future. She would never forget them, and not completely give up on seeing at least one of them again.

Closing her eyes, Zyanya did her best to clear her mind. It had been a long day, and she would need time to adjust. One day at a time. Sleep eventually took her.

Virbon: *snoring noises*

Jonesy: And there we have it. Final thoughts?

Connor: I don’t mean to bite the hand that created me, but I think you’ve improved since this… mess. Still, I enjoyed it.

Virbon: Yeah, I wonder why. At least I managed to get a girl inside my own species.

Connor: Don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it! I love Fruity! Mind you, kissing is somewhat difficult at the best of times.

Virbon: Does she henpeck you a lot?

Connor: That was… no. Just get out.

Jonesy: OK, I think I’m calling it there. Hope you’ve enjoyed this. Be sure to have a look on YouTube for episodes of MST3K, if you’re interested (I recommend their riffs of the films Invasion USA, Santa Claus and Escape 2000). The former cast now does RiffTrax, doing both live shows and riffs available for purchase on their website. Until next time, Jonesy out!

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

#94 Post by FrogSteaks »

Hah! Oh man, that was awesome. I had a smile plastered on my face the whole time. I legitimately laughed out loud at some of those quips. I'm actually surprised I got as many of those references as I did. This makes me wanna go rewatch MST. It's been a minute since I've seen it last. Also, I recognized Virbon, but not Connor. Is he from another story you wrote?
Jonesy wrote: Next chapter is a couple of days away
Can't wait. On a semi-related note, I took the time between chapters to reread the whole story. It's definitely a little different reading through it now knowing what's coming down the road.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

Jonesy
Templar Master

#95 Post by Jonesy »

FrogSteaks wrote:Hah! Oh man, that was awesome. I had a smile plastered on my face the whole time. I legitimately laughed out loud at some of those quips. I'm actually surprised I got as many of those references as I did. This makes me wanna go rewatch MST. It's been a minute since I've seen it last. Also, I recognized Virbon, but not Connor. Is he from another story you wrote?
Jonesy wrote: Next chapter is a couple of days away
Can't wait. On a semi-related note, I took the time between chapters to reread the whole story. It's definitely a little different reading through it now knowing what's coming down the road.
Glad you enjoyed it. Was a bit worried about some of those references, as the first person I showed it to missed them all.

And Connor is indeed from another of my stories, just not one I got around to posting on these forums.

http://community.playstarbound.com/thre ... nal.84612/

red.wolf
Merchant

#96 Post by red.wolf »

And tricked by side stuff, keep getting all pumped for story update but....
The first shot is not the one that matters. The last shot determines everything.

http://twokinds.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18223---- Both Sides > My Fanfic
Both Sides: A TwoKinds Fan-fiction

Jonesy
Templar Master

#97 Post by Jonesy »

As planned, the time has finally come to take the story down for now, in preparation for future publishing of the re-written version. It's a pretty bittersweet moment; I've got a lot of great memories about uploading chapters and eagerly anticipating people's responses. I'd like to thank you all for following the story all these years, and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I'll be keeping the thread itself up for now in order to keep you all updated on where H&L goes from here.​

Bachaddict
Apprentice

#98 Post by Bachaddict »

Excellent writing as usual!
|This box is too sm|

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#99 Post by Bellhead »

This was the highlight of my week. Well done, Jonesy. Well done.

I kinda had to laugh at Daniel's quips about Jakob and Zyanya. He's clearly just being a jokester, and not trying to be racist.. but I think he's assuming Jakob is more comfortable and sure with what's going on than he actually is.

Minor things: there's a few sentences there with missing words.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#100 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Another great chapter :)

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

#101 Post by FrogSteaks »

Well, it's nice to see they came to some sort of compromise. I mean, sure it's still subpar, but it's more than they would get without the help of Jakob.
That was a rather interesting conversation between Zyanya and the vicar. It seems her heart is in the right place with her charitable actions, but I think she'd be better off letting the Lupusad practice their own religion if they so choose.

Also, note to self: do not take flirting advice from Daniel Riley. Seriously, I get the feeling that he'd be the type of person to use horrible pickup lines at a bar.

Jonesy
Templar Master

#102 Post by Jonesy »

Bachaddict wrote:Excellent writing as usual!
AndreRhineDavis wrote:Another great chapter :)
Thanks guys!
Bellhead wrote:This was the highlight of my week. Well done, Jonesy. Well done.

I kinda had to laugh at Daniel's quips about Jakob and Zyanya. He's clearly just being a jokester, and not trying to be racist.. but I think he's assuming Jakob is more comfortable and sure with what's going on than he actually is.

Minor things: there's a few sentences there with missing words.
Yeah, someone else pointed out how I messed up one of those sentences. Far too easy to miss.

Jonesy
Templar Master

#103 Post by Jonesy »

As planned, the time has finally come to take the story down for now, in preparation for future publishing of the re-written version. It's a pretty bittersweet moment; I've got a lot of great memories about uploading chapters and eagerly anticipating people's responses. I'd like to thank you all for following the story all these years, and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I'll be keeping the thread itself up for now in order to keep you all updated on where H&L goes from here.​

red.wolf
Merchant

#104 Post by red.wolf »

Wow checked my phone just as you updated, sleeps for the weak gotta read this. Updated only like 2 min ago, such luck.
The first shot is not the one that matters. The last shot determines everything.

http://twokinds.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18223---- Both Sides > My Fanfic
Both Sides: A TwoKinds Fan-fiction

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

#105 Post by FrogSteaks »

Yay, grand reopening of the shelter, finally. And what's this, another person who has close relations with a Lupusad? Very Interesting. Hopefully next chapter, Zyanya will finally be reunited with Jakob. And I wonder how Nituna and Ithua will react when they see the estate for the first time.