TwoKinds: War of Deikli

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

Re: War of the Dark Ones (repost)

#16 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Thanks! I hope to revamp it later today, with more flair and deeper emotional scenes. If you've read the whole thing by now, you know [censored] goes down.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

red.wolf
Merchant

#17 Post by red.wolf »

I for one am glad that a story I follow is updating. Great story do far, I would love to see some more details on the internal affairs of the group.
The first shot is not the one that matters. The last shot determines everything.

http://twokinds.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18223---- Both Sides > My Fanfic
Both Sides: A TwoKinds Fan-fiction

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#18 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

You've been... following.. my story?

I'm so touched...

Is anyone else following this story? Speak up? Let me hear the floodgates crash open, and the critique flow to me!
Certified Jojo fan

red.wolf
Merchant

#19 Post by red.wolf »

Yea enjoy the glory :D . I'm not the best at critiquing but ill see what i can do.
The first shot is not the one that matters. The last shot determines everything.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#20 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Chapter 20

But Life Goes On

It'd been three weeks since that fateful night. Marisol was just beginning to feel again, and the was a place in her soul that nobody could fill but Kimblee. She sat up in bed, shivering in a cold sweat. Looking around, she sighed as she remembered. A single tear rolled down her face as she stood up to go to the bathroom. She surveyed herself in the mirror. Am I.. getting larger? she thought. Turning to the side, she gasped aloud as she realized where the bump was placed. Right where it would be if she were... right where it would... right.. a small whimper escaped her lips. She still had some piece of Kimblee. She... she had his child! She was going to be a mother, and she still had some of Kimblee, living inside of her. She decided then that she would tell no one. Not even Gneison and Fauna. Gneison and Fauna... Marisol was thinking of them as one, now, with how close they were getting. It seemed as though Kimblee's passing had strengthened a bond between them. But it had shattered Marisol's heart, and in that moment, she hated them. They were happy while she was suffered.. but she couldn't fault them. Her rage seceded from her body and she knew then that she would never let herself anger again. She would always be happy. Always, no matter how much it hurt. No matter how much she wanted to scream and storm and kill... what was she doing to herself? Killing? She would never kill unless it was absolutely necessary, as a last resort. But.. it is necessary, she told herself. No!

"I couldn't ever kill anybody..." she whispered. "I wouldn't.." She tried hard, but in vain. She still felt the dark urge to rip somebody's throat out. To mutilate them beyond recognition, and then kill them. To make them suffer until the end, like she surely would. A noise broke through her thoughts. A soft knocking on the door. She took a deep breath and headed for the small birch door, gripping the handle tight. She breathed out and opened it slowly. Standing there was Fauna, smiling, attempting to hide her grief. But Marisol could see right through it. Fauna was grieving almost worse than her, and her face broke down the smothered rage into harmless despair. She smiled, faking mirth as well.

"Hi, Marisol. Just came by to tell you that they're almost finished building your home, where Kaiser Mansion used to be," she chirped, wiping an almost unnoticeable tear from her eye. Marisol frowned.

"My new home?" she asked. "What new home?" Fauna smiled again.

"We began to rebuild Kaiser two weeks ago, but Gneison and I thought you wouldn't want such a gaudy mansion." Marisol nodded.

"Can't argue with you there." She turned her head back towards her room.

"We've got someone to get your things," Fauna said. Marisol shook her head.

"No, we're gonna get my stuff, pay for the room and leave." Fauna smiled, rubbing her chin.

"There's... also something me and Gneison want to talk to you about," she said. Marisol began packing her things, wondering what it was Fauna was so antsy about.

Gneison turned around as the door to Marisol's new home opened. "Ah," he said, smiling. Marisol's ears perked up and Fauna began sniffing the air. "I made breakfast." A look of hungry understanding dawned on Fauna, who strode over to the table and began shovelling the eggs and sausage. She looked at Gneison, who was watching her with an amused expression on his face. She blushed and cleared her throat. "I see you like it." Gneison frowned, looking over at Marisol, who was looking around her new home. This would be the perfect place to raise a child, she thought.

"Hey, Marisol. You gonna come get breakfast?"

"Huh?" Marisol looked over, snapping out of her thoughts. "Oh. Uh, yeah, just give me a little while." She began hefting her clothes and other possessions to a semi-empty room down the hall. She looked through the rest of the doors. There were only two bedrooms. Perfect, she thought, smiling.

Gneison looked nervously at Fauna as Marisol sat down at the table to eat. Fauna cleared her throat again, and Marisol looked up at them from her plate.

"Some'n you guys wanna talk 'bout?" she asked, still chewing a rough chunk of sausage.

"Uh, yeah, actually," Gneison said. He pulled at his shirt collar as Fauna stared at him, waiting for him to start. "We were, um.." He cleared his throat. "We were thinking about.. well, getting.. married, maybe." Marisol's eyes widened. She hadn't thought they were that close.

"And, well.. since you're still fifteen..." Fauna spoke up. ".. and we're both adults.." She looked over at Gneison, who was fidgeting with his eggs. "We thought that we could maybe... adopt.. you?" Marisol stopped eating and looked back up at them. They were completely serious. "We understand if you don't want to," Fauna said quickly. "I mean, you already have parents and all-"

"No," Marisol cut her off. "They don't want me to come home." She cleared her throat. "I don't think that it's.. such a bad idea," she finished, looking at them. They both looked back and forth, from Marisol to each other. It didn't look like they'd expected a 'yes' so suddenly.

"So.." Gneison broke the silence. "You're... okay with.. us.... adopting you?" Marisol nodded, and Fauna's face broke into a smile. She reached out and hugged Marisol tight, just as a mother would do.

"You don't have to call us Mom or Dad," she said after she'd returned to her seat. "In fact, we'd appreciate if you didn't."

"Yeah," Gneison butted in. "Neither of us have ever been parents, and we don't really plan to, but... well, you've become family." He closed his eyes. "You both were like family." Marisol knew he was talking about Kimblee. She turned her head for a moment, slamming shut her eyes.

"Y-yeah," she said. She coughed and returned her eyesight to Fauna, who'd said the most. "So, when is this going to become an official thing?"

"Well, we were thinking... first thing in the morning.." Fauna said. She smiled lightly.

"That's fine with me," Marisol replied. She finished the last bite of her breakfast and stood up, taking her plate to the sink. She looked back over at them. "Does this place have running water?" Fauna nodded, and Marisol twisted a knob with a spot of blue on it to the left. A stream of cold water came pouring out of the faucet. She grabbed a ball of steel wool and scrubbed her plate clean before setting it in the nearby drying rack. "So.." she began awkwardly. "I suppose Sjin's not still around?"

"Not that we know of," Gneison answered. "But he still keeps in contact through the telegraph." Marisol nodded, staring out the window.

"And do we.. have a day for.. for his funeral?" Marisol asked. Gneison and Fauna were silent for a moment.

"Y-yeah, in a week," Gneison said. Marisol nodded, a solemn expression on her face. She turned back around to face them with a sigh.

"There's also something that I've got to tell you guys," she said. "I, uh.. um, I'm pr..." she cleared her throat. "I'm a bit pregnant." Gneison nearly choked on his breakfast.

"That -ckah- that's great, Marisol." He finished coughing before continuing. "I have to admit I didn't really expect that." Fauna remained silent for the moment. "It is Kimblee's, right?" Marisol looked over at him, a thin smile spreading across her face.

"No," she said sarcastically. "I met a male prostitute in town and I'm already a month along." She laughed, and Fauna gave a light chuckle.

"So," she said. "We're going to have a grandson? So quick?"

"Yeah, I guess so," Marisol replied. They all shared a laugh before Marisol stepped outside. She could see the skeleton of the original mansion about half a kilometer away, yet the new house was much closer to the center of the property than it. They'd even began construction of a smaller pool in the new backyard. Her son would get plenty of outdoor time.

ONE WEEK LATER

Marisol wore her black blouse over a white tank-top. The only real fancy shirt she had, and she knew Kimblee wouldn't care at all what she wore to his.. his funeral. She slipped on a pair of black leather work pants, covered with engine grease. This would be the best she could do, and she wasn't going to show up in white.

Once they arrived, the lowering apparatus was already set up to descend the coffin into the grave. They stepped out of Fauna's auto and onto the dry green field. A crowd was already gathering, remembering the fallen hero who helped save the city from that monster. Marisol wiped a tear from her eye. It'd been a month since he'd been taken. She was too far past the point of breaking to weep now. She would only weep internally. A few minutes went by before the actual ceremony began, and people either sat on the grass or stood. The robed speaker for the dead stepped forth and asked Marisol what religion Kimblee had followed.

"He was a Chordal," she replied, though she wasn't sure. Seeing as they both knew the definite existence of Masks, and that the Masks didn't care about being worshipped, it wouldn't matter much what prayer he was buried under. The speaker began shifting through Kimblee's short fifteen years from a truly unbiased point of view, simply stating what had happened. Then he asked everyone to gather round and pray their respective prayers before reciting a Chordal hymn. Afterwards, he asked for people to step up and say a few words about Kimblee. Gneison went first.

"I hardly knew him, I can say that. In a sense, we were practically strangers. But he was a good kid, and I grew fond of him really quick. When he... when he was taken, I didn't know what to think. Angry, of course, and sad, but what else?" He cleared his throat. "If he'd've still been alive last week, I would've adopted him along with Marisol." H wiping a tear away, he continued. "I thought he was gonna go down as an unsung hero. But the people of Lyn'Knoll knew what he had done for 'em. They're even giving him a proper send-off, and they gave him the Honorary Knight. The rest of us were offered medals, but we.. we couldn't. Not after he'd gotten one. It would've made him seem.. I don't know, less. And you all certainly shouldn't be thinking lowly of him. He was a good kid." Gneison sniffled. "A good kid." As he stepped away from the podium, the crowd burst into applause. That was probably the best speech they'd heard in a long time, Marisol thought. She stepped over to the podium, ready to pour her heart out in front of all these people. But she choked up, and stepped away. She threw herself into Fauna's arms, and she embraced her sobbing form with the most motherly feeling she'd ever experienced. So what Kimblee had said was true, Marisol thought. My ma really didn't care about me. But that was her old mother. Fauna was her mother now. And she was a better mother than the original could ever, hell, would ever aspire to be. She knew, despite her unfathomable grief, that the rest of her life would be a good one, even if Gneison and Marisol were both Keidran. They.. they wouldn't live very long, either, she thought, and a new pang of grief struck her. She squeezed Fauna tighter.
Certified Jojo fan

red.wolf
Merchant

#21 Post by red.wolf »

An adoption, a funeral and a new family coming from the wreckage. Orginal and wonderfully written. Hopefully the start of a family and all doesnt slow them down to a point of ending the story, I enjoy it a bit too much for it to end now.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#22 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Thank you, friend. If only everyone else would share with me their nice words.

Oh, and it's only starting. This thread itself will die and decay, but a sequel will take its place. About Kimblee and Marisol's child, see.
Certified Jojo fan

red.wolf
Merchant

#23 Post by red.wolf »

I know the feeling of having no responses to your writing. Figured I would start throwing things out on the stories I liked so the writer knew they were doing well (I haven't gotten much of that but im a giver). And if there is a second one in the planning I will be sure to read it.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#24 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

It would be my pleasure. Thanks for reading, and I hope you do check out Twin Souls.
Certified Jojo fan

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#25 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Chapter 21

An Afterlife, of Sorts

Kimblee shuddered as the Icon told him what he was going to do.

"So, you're saying... from the beginning of time?" he asked incredulously.

"No," the Icon spoke. "From the beginning of the three species." Kimblee shook his head, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"And why would I do this?" he asked.

"You must experience life from the beginning and, in layman's terms, weigh the pros and cons of being alive. Then it is your choice whether or not you will return to life."

"Of course, I could always just say yes.."

"Not after this. Many have gone through this and decided to fade into nonexistence." The Icon grimaced. "It just might drive you insane." Kimblee shuddered. Fifteen years was too short, and Kimblee wanted so badly to just return, but it seemed as if this would be the only way. He sighed as he shook the Icon's hand, sealing the deal. A doorway appeared next to him. He looked at it, then at the Icon, who nodded, smiling. He stepped over to it and looked through. Nothing. Just a pitch blackness. But then there was a small light as an opening appeared from the realm of creation to reality. He stepped through and into the shoes of the first human. His fur bristled, but since there was no fur, he got to see his follicles for the first time. It was very odd, not having a muzzle and fur. Not to mention the decreased eyesight and hearing. He looked around at the empty field. Not another soul in sight. A tiny bit of information popped into his mind. A name. Redoran. That was the name of the first human. But where were the Keidran and Basitin? And the rest of the humans? As if in answer, more and more ethereal beings came out of the rip in the fabric of reality, some taking human form, some Keidran, and some Basitin. But mostly humans. That was part of the wager, he remembered. The Mask who had created humans had won the challenge, and the other two hadn't, so he had advantage in numbers. But this only made the Basitin and Keidran grow more fierce, and soon they were equal in numbers and strength. Kimble watched as millenia-old memories played out in his mind. For the next eleven thousand years, Kimblee would sit and listen to their stories. But to the rest of the world, it would be only eleven.

Marisol, aged twenty, sat in her chair. It had been five long years, but she was finally happy. Her young daughter raced around the yard alongside her ever so slightly younger brother.

"Medora, you've always been bigger than him," Marisol said to her daughter. "Yet somehow Kyodan is faster than you." She giggled as Medora was tackled by her brother.

"Maybe," Medora said, grunting, "it's because he is smaller, and that his little legs move quicker than my proper ones!" She laughed as she swung her brother by the arms and sent him flailing into a pile of snow.

"Careful, sis, or you might break some of your massive ego!" Kyodan spoke up from inside the gleaming heap. He jumped out, his eyes and fur white and his wings outstretched. His sister's fur darkened and a bit of purple energy leapt off of her to melt the nearby snow. She grabbed him in an air tackle and threw him backwards, laughing like a maniac.

"Medora, you've got to learn proper lady etiquette," Marisol yelled, getting up and shifting into angelic form. She grabbed her daughter by the scruff and flung her into a massive drift, which made some of it melt and the rest collapse onto her. Kyodan appeared next to Marisol, laughing a storm. His sister came flying out of the steam, but he sidestepped and jumped into the air, uselessly flapping his wings. "I've told you, Kyo. Flapping those things never does you any good!" She laughed again and grabbed him by the arm. She leaned over to her daughter and took her arms as well. "This is how you fly!" Her wings unfurled out into a three meter wingspan, sending bits of snow flying to their brethren. She crouched for a second, then looked straight up into the air. Her legs snapped into straight position and locked, sending her rocketing upwards. Her children, dangling by their wrists, screamed and laughed at the same time, knowing their mother would never allow them any harm. At about 30 meters into the air, she turned around and headed straight for the ground. Her children screamed as they were plowed into a massive drift of snow, larger than their house. Winters in the valley were intense, when the ocean clouds had nowhere else to go besides down to the end, which is where there were. Kyoden glided off of the top and to the back door, where he knocked the snow off of his boots and stepped inside, equipping to his feet the slippers he had hung by the fireplace. He peeled off his shirt as his mother and Medora stepped through the door. Medora, not bothered one bit by the cold, only removed her jacket and snow boots. Marisol came over and sat by the fire with Kyoden.

"You know, you two have been the joy of my life for four years," she said. "But you can't get along for a minute without my guiding you towards it." She smiled warmly, her face lit up by the fire. "Your father would love to see you." Kyoden frowned.

"Hey, ma," he said. She looked at him. "Where is da? I don't remember ever seeing him." She shook her head.

"He died before you were born." No tears flowed this time. She only felt love for Kimblee. Though she missed him dearly, she was not sad. She smiled again, this time leaning back in her chair. "He was a great man." She tried to remember his face. She could hardly remember what he looked like. Would she forget who he was entirely? No, she wouldn't let herself. She would hold him in her heart until the end of her life, when they would meet again. She would never forget him. He was waiting, after all.

Kimblee felt ages rush past, experiencing the joys and sorrows of life. He came soon upon one certain individual, a fox Keidran enslaved on the ship of a human. The Keidran couldn't remember it, but he was the cause of the world's sudden burst in technology. He was from the year 1943, a time long from where he lived as Kimblee was experiencing his life. Somehow, he'd travelled backwards in time. Kimblee saw it happen, like looking into a picture of a picture. This Keidran had used the Evokum Iconis to save himself from certain death after being dumped into one of the poisonous oceans of his day. Then, somewhere along the line, he'd escaped. His physical form restored, but his mind in pieces, he remembered the plans for great walking machines. Being an outstanding engineer, he was able to build one using only his memory and scraps of metal. He then gave the prototype to the Keidran government, hoping to give them an edge against the humans, maybe to change the course of history. Then the Basitin approached him with an offer: if he were to provide them with some new technology, they would join the war between the Keidran and humans, aiding the Keidrans as much as possible. He agreed, and made for them the great ironclad warship of his time. They then reverse-engineered the submarine, a testament to Basitin ingenuity. For a time, the Keidran seemed to be ready to wipe out the humans, until one day the fox Keidran was captured. It was revealed that his captors were the Templar, a long dead, to him, group of mages that were pro-human and very anti-everything-else. They extorted the plans for experimental flying ironclads out of him, breaking his mind ever further. The memories of his past life in ruins, he was sold to Eric Vaughan and his mind was reassembled into that of a slave by a Control Spell. Kimblee shuddered. A few years later, the fox met Trace Legacy, former Grandmaster of the Templar, then a freedom fighter. Together, the group helped liberate the Basitin from a power-crazed general and the influence of the Templar, after which, they set sail for Lyn'Knoll. Kimblee's visions suddenly stopped. Was that it? Had he finally reached the end? Could he return to Marisol now? He suddenly found himself sitting in that same bone mould chair, across from the Icon.

"Do you want to return to life?" it asked him. He thought about it. So much misery had occured over the years. Did he want that?

"Yes," he answered. He would endure it for Marisol. To see her again would be worth it. The Icon nodded and grabbed Kimblee's shoulder. It spun him around to face a doorway. Through it, Kimblee saw a street and houses. This was Lyn'Knoll, he knew. Stepping through the doorway and into the night, he found himself to be completely nude. "This just won't do," he thought. He grabbed a cloth from off the ground and, grimacing, he wrapped it around himself. He looked around for a clothing store, and he soon found a relatively inexpensive one. Stepping inside, he knocked on the doorway. The proprietor looked up from his book and gasped.

"You're going to be needing clothes, young man!" he said. "Let me get you some. Wait here." The old man shuffled into the back room of his shop and came back out with a blue shirt and beige pants. "Put these on for now," he said, handing them to Kimblee. He made his way back to the other room while Kimblee slipped the pants on. They were a good fit. The man must've been at this job for a long time. The shirt was a fine stretchy cloth, which hugged Kimblee's rugged torso tightly. The man came back out with a pair of boots, snowshoes and gloves. Kimblee thanked him and put them on slowly. The boots would be heavy, so snowshoes were a requirement, and the gloves would keep his hands warm. Kimblee looked around the shop until he found what he was looking for. A steel ring with leather straps and a metal shoulder pauldron.

"Those?" the old man said. "Ah, yes. They belonged to Kimblee Kaiser, one of the greatest men to ever set foot here." He shook his head. "They aren't for sale. Sorry." Kimblee stepped forward, revealing his face to the man.

"Do you have a picture of this Kimblee fellow anywhere?" he asked. The old man nodded, pointing to a portrait that hung on his wall. Kimblee grabbed it and pulled it down, much to the old man's surprise. Hefting it up, he put it at about eye level. The old man gasped aloud.

"B-but you... you're dead!"

"Not anymore."

"But you were buried for eleven years!"

"Eleven? Are you sure?" The old man nodded. "It felt like only a few months," Kimblee finished.

"Well, if it's your armor you want, then you must have it!" the old man said. He picked up the ring and pauldron, holding them out to Kimblee, who grabbed them and quickly put them on.

"Thank you. I'll be sure to come back and pay you for the clothes."

"Don't bother yourself with it," the old man responded. "They're yours." Kimblee thanked him before heading out. Judging by the mountains, he wasn't far into the valley. He could still see the Seawall. It would take at least until dawn to reach Kaiser property.

Marisol, aged twenty-seven, sat once again in her chair. The children had gone off to their first year of proper school, outside that training facility. They both knew now how to properly control their powers, and were deemed safe to be raised around other children. They were already much smarter than everyone in their class, surely. It had costed Marisol half of her remaining... fortune? I guess it is, she thought. It is a fortune. Whatever it was, private schooling had costed her half of the remainder of it. But it was worth the cost. Her children would go far in life, maybe even fulfill that prophecy. Speaking of that, strange creatures had been spotted in the sea over the past few years, said to be 50 meters long, at most. The mere thought of a beast so massive had scared Marisol so much that she wouldn't bring her children into town for a month, fearing that one would break down the Seawall and destroy the city. But sightings had decreased in the last year, so it was deemed safe by her and her neighbors to return to the city. Thus her children attending a public school. She stepped outside onto the front porch, taking a seat in her wooden chair. She laid back and almost had fallen asleep when footsteps alerted her to someone's presence on her property. She opened her eyes and saw the silhouette of a Basitin, standing in front of her. She stood up to glare into his face when her heart stopped. He looked just like... but it couldn't be.. was it? She collapsed to her knees, and the figure caught her.

"Marisol!" he said. That voice... it was his.. but it was impossible.. he was dead. She looked into his face again and her thoughts were confirmed. Somehow, some way, Kimblee had returned to her.
Certified Jojo fan

red.wolf
Merchant

#26 Post by red.wolf »

The allusion to TK story line was really fun to read and piece together.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#27 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Thanks. Thought Mike deserved to be a little more interesting.

EDIT: So I'm going to be setting this aside for a little while to work on a fresh new projectfor a Skyrim fanfic, in which the main character experiences the installing and uninstalling of mods. I don't think it's ever been done before, so I'm going to give it a try. I'll ask for the Ashen thread to be removed again, and this'll take its place. Many NSFW warnings, but I'll cross that bridge.. y'know...
Certified Jojo fan

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#28 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

I've actually got one that I found a bit ago! Here y'are!

Chapter 22

Diagnostics

Kimblee caught her as she fell, cradling her when he stood up. He sat in the chair she'd laid in and rested his forehead on hers. Soon, she came to, and when Kimblee set her on her feet, she steadied herself on the doorframe.

"How are you... how are you here?!" she asked, wiping a stray thread of hair out of her face. She was too shocked and elated to be wiping tears just yet, even if they were tears of joy. He smiled. "I thought you were dead!" she whispered, hugging him in a tight embrace. He staggered backwards, catching her weight against his own.

"I was never dead. I've never been dead," he spoke, cooing into her ear.

"But... you were.. gone for eleven..." She choked up, holding back tears. He tilted his head.

"Eleven.. what? Days? Months?" She shook her head. "Years?" She looked past him, to the sun in the sky. "I was gone for eleven years?!" he repeated. He let go of Marisol and sat down, rubbing his temple. Marisol nodded, biting her lip. He shut his eyes. He remembered two people who helped him get to Lyn'Knoll in the first place. "Gneison and Fauna?" he asked.

Marisol shook her head. "They've been.. gone for two years now." She wiped away a tear. "They, uhm.. they adopted me, a little while after you..." Kimblee nodded, understanding what she meant. "The twins didn't know them as grandma and grand-da long enough to miss them, but.." She trailed off, leaving Kimblee's eyes widened.

"Did you say twins?" he asked, standing up. Marisol turned to look at him, her eyes equally wide. "Did you.. did you have children with somebody?" She shook her head, smiling, tears flowing freely down her face.

"They're yours," she said, laughing and crying at the same time. She thought about Medora's darkness and Kyoden's light. "They're definitely yours." Kimblee smiled and leaned his forehead against hers. She stood on her toes to bring her lips to his, feeling his warm comfort for the first time in a very long time.

Colonel Rochey Krecklow, now almost retired, grinned widely as Kimblee sat on a hospital bed, wearing nothing but the cheap gown that the place provided. He blushed visibly from underneath his fur.

"Back from the dead, are we?" she said, giving him a look-over. "You seem to be properly aged.." He looked at himself in the mirror. He hadn't even noticed, but his face was lined with the marks of age. He must've been in his late twenties. "And there's no sign that you were ever actually dead." She examined him again. "No rot. No missing chunks of fur or flesh." She sighed. "But I'll let the professional take a look at you. All I can tell is that you're obviously some kind of immortal with a lot of patience." She stood up and left the room, but not before waving behind at him slyly. He found it hard to believe that she, a human woman, would ever fancy him, a Basitin, for gods' sake. Maybe she wasn't right in the head. Yeah, that seems like a good explanation, he thought.

"So, it seems like you've been lying in wait for eleven years." The doctor wrote something on his notepad, but Kimblee couldn't tell what it said. "You look like a perfectly healthy twenty-eight year old Basitin." He wrote something else. "We're going to need to take a look at your blood. If it's alright with you, could I extract a bit with this syringe?" Kimblee nodded, staring at the pointed end of the needle. The doctor grabbed his arm and rested the needle on it. "This'll sting a bit," he said. He plunged the tip in, making Kimblee's eyes widen in a sudden burst of shockingly tiny pain. He winced again as he saw his blood rise into the glass cylinder.

"Jus.. just how much are you take... just how much are you taking?" Kimblee asked, his vision blurred.

"Sorry. We need quite a bit." The doctor pulled the needle out as Kimblee slumped over, unconscious. "Don't worry," he said. "You'll wake back up by the time we're done with the tests."

6 HOURS LATER

"Hey. Hey, Kimblee, wake up." He cracked one of his eyes open to see Marisol leaning over him, with her hand on his shoulder. "You alright?" she asked, concerned. Kimblee nodded and sat up, his head spinning. He realized that all that covered his private area was a tuft of fur from his lower abdomen.

"Kya!" He spun around, looking for a towel. When he found one, he quickly wrapped it around himself, sighing in relief.

"You really DO look older," came a voice from a chair in the corner. He looked up to see Colonel Krecklow watching him. Marisol and Kimblee both glared at her as she stood up, a paper in hand. She gave it to Kimblee, who snatched it and gazed at the tiny lettering on it. "This is what will go to the public." Kimblee did a double-take.

"The public?" he said. He began to crinkle the paper in a balled fist. "You aren't telling the public. That's up to me."

"Sorry, Kim," Marisol said. "But these people deserve to know that you're back as much as me. I've already signed the form." Kimblee straightened out the paper and found Marisol's signature scrawled at the bottom. He looked up at her in disbelief.

"Do you know what this will cause?" he said to her. She began to apologize, but he grabbed his clothes and ran out the door, holding the towel the whole way. She started after him, but Krecklow grabbed her shoulder.

"Let him go. He'll come back." She shook her head, smiling. "Apparently, he always does." Marisol glared at the back of the Colonel's head. Just how much did this boffin know?

Kimblee emerged from the clinic completely nude except for a towel. He ran into the nearby foliage to change into his clothes, and when he came back out, he ran towards the Seawall, the only landmark he remembered. He spent about an hour looking for some way to bypass it, to get a boat and go out to sea for a little while. He didn't find one. The place was locked up tighter than a miser's purse. He did find a door that led to a small fishing shack, however. The man inside greeted him upon entry.

"Ho, there. Anything I can get you?" Kimblee nodded. He had already begun to formulate a plan.
Certified Jojo fan

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#29 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Chapter 23

A Trip Out to Sea

"So," Kimblee began as the fisherman untied the boat from the hitch. "What makes it so that Keidran, Basitin and human forces alike can't see this place? I mean, the walls are huge and metal." The fisherman shook his head. His long, cape-like fur whipped around in the breeze.

"It's nothing special, really," he said, his islander accent drifting across the wind. "Just a long-distance cloaking spell. Keeps them from coming close enough to see us, because from out at sea, we look like a densely forested coastline." Kimblee nodded.

"Then how can we see it now?"

"I told you, it's long range. You've got to be legitimately out at sea to be fooled by it."

"Can you show me?" Kimblee asked after a moment's hesitation. The fisherman looked at him sideways before turning back around.

"You haven't got the rocks for it," he grumbled.

"Oh yeah? I sailed here from the Basitin islands."

"You did that on a ship. Try it on a fishing boat."

"Exactly. Let me try it, and let me see this magic for myself." The fisherman mumbled under his breath.

"Fine, fine. I'll take you out to sea. But don't expect to come back with your lunch still in your belly." Kimblee smiled, a small ring of purple energy arcing from his canines. The fisherman didn't notice, and Kimblee turned around to kick off from the dock.

"So how far out do you have to be?" he asked. The fisherman looked up for a moment.

"About a mile out to sea," he replied. Kimblee nodded.

"Can you swim?" he asked. The fisherman looked back at him, confused.

"What?"

"Can you swim?" Kimblee asked again, more insistently.

"Wha- of course I can swim!" Kimblee smiled, shifting into demon form.

"Good," he said, picking the fisherman up and tossing him off of the boat. He grabbed the oars and took the boat further out to sea, leaving the fisherman behind. He was soon at the required distance to view the "coastline". He was awed at how well the spell worked. He would've never guessed. He took out a pen and some paper, proceeding to draw the remarkable features of the coastline. He didn't want to lose Lyn'Knoll.

Marisol lay in her bed, not sure whether to cry out in anger or bawl. He had shown up, out of nowhere, after eleven years, then just left? It wasn't fair. She needed him. She hadn't realized how empty her life had been without him.

She needed him.

She sat upright. Had she heard something? She listened again, her ears swivelling every which way, trying to pick up any sounds. What she was greeted with was a vision that sprang forth from the darkness. She saw Kimblee on a boat, drawing a coastline somewhere. She watched him for a little while. The coastline almost looked real. She had always admired his skills with a pen, and it looked like they hadn't faded one bit. In fact, he looked even better at it then he used to.

What had happened to him while he was gone?

Kimblee put the notepad away. That'll have to suffice, he thought, giving the coast one last gaze. The sun was rising behind the mountains. The sky was lit a beautiful orange-yellow, and the clouds' underbellies were a light pink. It's a shame I don't have any pastels, he thought.

He picked up the oars again and heaved back and forth, propelling himself back out to sea. I'll be back soon, Marisol.

Yeah. Right. Soon.

1 WEEK LATER

Marisol sighed as she ushered the kids out the door and into the auto. Driving them to school was always fun, but not today. She hadn't told them about their father yet, and they wondered what had gotten her down.

Kyoden was the first to inquire.

"Ma, are you feeling okay?" he asked. She sighed again.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bit tired, is all." She looked in the mirror at her son. He had stopped playing with his sister to ask her if she was okay. That warmed her heart. Maybe she didn't need Kimblee after all.

Kimblee's boat hit shore under the cover of a wide cliff. He stepped out and onto the wet sand, looking up. At the top of this cliff and a hundred feet beyond lie his hometown of West Basitin.
Certified Jojo fan

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#30 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Chapter 24

Reunite

Kimblee groaned as he scanned the cliffside. The path was gone. Probably obliterated by a mudslide, he thought. It looked as if he would have to scale the cliff-face, which didn't seem an all-too-appealing idea given that he had no climbing equipment. Had he known beforehand that he would need to climb a goddamned cliff, he would've been able to prepare. So he resigned himself to hoping that a fall from a height wouldn't kill him if he was in demon form, and he began climbing up. Eventually, about an hour later, he reached the top of the cliff. He heaved himself up over the edge and lay for a moment. Rowing was nowhere near as tiring as climbing, even in his current state. He stood and walked into the treeline, shifting slowly back to normal, all the while a tension building in his gut. Who would recognize him?

Marisol was left gaping after news of Kimblee's departure had reached her. The fisherman that he had thrown overboard was in a rage, cursing and spitting, saying that Kimblee ruined his career. He has plenty of other boats, Marisol thought. Plus.. Kimblee must have a reason for doing this. She sighed and stepped outside. The sun was rising in the east, and she could see the orange of the clouds just above the mountains. That was one thing she didn't like about Lyn'Knoll. While you got beautiful over-ocean sunsets, the most sunrise you got were orange clouds. It was a pain to have nothing better to complain about. Oddly enough, all Marisol desired was some hardship to break through the day-to-day, something different from the norm, at least. And while Kimblee's coming back and then leaving was certainly interesting, it was too emotional for her to bear. The night it happened, she had broke down and cried harder than she had in all her life, even when Kimblee died the first time. She didn't know if she ever wanted to see him again, after that. Wherever he is, she thought, it's for the best if he stays put for a little while longer.

Kimblee walked among his people unrecognized. Even his old best friend, Taret, didn't recognize him, and Kimblee quite literally bumped into him on the side of the road. Of course, it had been eleven years, so everybody had probably moved on by then. He sighed, wondering if even his beloved sister had forgotten about him. Then a thought sprang into his head. He would visit his sister, ask her up front if she recognized his face. It would break his heart if she didn't but, but if she said yes.. he could easily return home to Lyn'Knoll in peace of mind. He smiled. Lyn'Knoll is my home now, isn't it? he thought. West Basitin is an old memory. He would soon see his sister, then return home.

He took a deep breath as he stood on his home of 14 years' doorstep. Knocking on the door, his eyes widened as his mother came to answer.

"Hello," she said, looking right into his eyes and not recognizing him.

"Hello, Mrs. Keiser," he replied. "I'm here to see Madeline. She wanted me to help her with.. her geometry." Kimblee's mother smiled.

"Of course, of course! Please, come in, tea just finished brewing." Kimblee crossed the threshold and sat in his favorite chair. It hardly fit him anymore. "Oh, don't sit in that old thing! It's far too small for someone of your stature, Mr..."

"Cromsk, ma'am," he finished. "And.. I find this chair to be oddly suiting." His mother grinned, and his heart skipped a beat. How much he missed her.. and his sister.

"My son used to love that chair. He would sit in it for breakfast and dinner, and he'd always spill his food." Memories came rushing back. Suddenly it hurt to be here. Kimblee wiped a tear from his eye while his mother wasn't looking. "Well, I'll call for Maddie." She walked over to the stairwell and called up. "Maddie! Your tutor is here to see you!" Kimblee heard a clinking as Maddie dropped whatever she was holding and came rushing down the stairs. When she reached the bottom, she stared right at Kimblee for almost half a minute before running back upstairs without a word.

"Oh, she's just shy. You can go on up to her room, if you want. Second door on the right." Kimblee got up and climbed the stairs. When he reached the second floor, he turned to the right and tried the handle on the second door. It was locked.

"Maddie?" he said, leaning against the door. He felt the soft thud of a pillow being thrown at the door.

"It's not you!" Maddie shouted from inside.

"Maddie, it is me," Kimblee replied. "Let me in, Maddie." He listened closer. She was crying, he could hear it. "Maddie, it's alright. Don't cry, okay?" He knocked on the door in a rhythm they used to use to communicate with. "See? It's me." He heard her feet hit the floor and come over to the door. The lock clicked and the door opened to reveal Maddie's fifteen-year-old face, wet with tears.

"Kimblee?" she whispered. He nodded and she smiled, hugging him tightly.

"It's alright, Maddie. It's alright." She wiggled out of his embrace and stepped back into her room, inviting him in.

"Come inside, hurry," she whispered again. He obliged, smiling. As he sat down on her bed, she hugged him again, this time even tighter. She didn't say a word, just sat there for minutes, hugging him. And he returned the embrace twofold, showing for his sister more love than even his mother and Marisol combined. It was his sister that he loved dearest in life, the one he would truly fight to the end for. If anybody ever harmed her, he would rip them to shreds in a matter of seconds, gladly facing charges of murder for her safety. Nobody would ever harm her again.

"Maddie, I need to be leaving soon, okay?" She looked up at him, tears welling in her eyes.

"What?" she asked, on the verge of spilling over.

"Maddie, I can't stay. I'm committing one of the biggest crimes in Basitin history, just by being here."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Maddie.. I was banished. Don't you remember?" She nodded her little head, wiping away tears.

"But they took the banishment off!" she squeaked. Kimblee gently patted her back and looked up. He looked back at her again.

"What?"

"They came to a court ruling after you left, saying that you had dutifully and graciously accepted your banishment and that they would repeal it just for that!" She smiled and tears were streaming down her face, this time of joy. "You can stay, Kimblee!" He stared at the wall. He could stay... or he could return home. He had Marisol to look after, to love. He had two kids, which he'd never even met. He couldn't stay. It was as simple as that.

"No," he said. "No, I can't." She leaned away from him and stared at him.

"Wh.. why?" she asked, her voice wracking. He looked away.

"Do you remember that girl I was always around?" Kimblee responded. Maddie nodded her head, vaguely remember.

"M-Marisol, right?" Kimblee nodded as well.

"Maddie, I have children now. Two children who I've never even seen, and they're both eleven." He cursed. "They've gone eleven years without a father. They need me more than you do. I'm sorry, Maddie. The most I can do is stay the night." She nodded, biting her lip.

"I understand," she said.

"I can this means I can tell Mom now, though." She looked up at him.

"Really?" she asked, excited. He nodded, smiling.

"Get an old picture of me, then meet me downstairs, alright, Maddie?" She nodded and began searching through her things as he stepped into the hallway and shut her door. Descending down to the first floor, he was greeted with some lemon cakes and a recipe for the family's special tea, which he already had memorized.

"These are for being such a great help to Maddie for all these years," she said, smiling.

"Thank you, Mrs. Keiser. But I'm not leaving just yet. I believe Madeline has something that she wants to show you, and she also wants me here for it." His mother frowned, but nodded. She directed Kimblee to the sitting area, where he sat on the couch, saving room for Maddie, just as she came down the stairs, folded picture in hand. She sat next to Kimblee with a grin on her face.

"My, my, dear! You look like you've just won the grand prize!" his mother said, a smile returning to her face. "Let's see it, then." Maddie unfolded the photograph and flipped it so that her mother could see. "What's that?" their mother asked. Her smile turned into a look of utter confusion. "Is that.. a picture of your brother?" Maddie nodded. Their mother looked at who she thought to be Maddie's tutor, then the picture, before covering her mouth. Her eyes were wide and she almost fainted before she stood up and grabbed Kimblee in the strongest embrace he'd ever felt. She was wordless for a full two minutes before looking him straight in the eye. It seemed like she could still read his thoughts, just by the way his eyes moved.

"So.. when are you leaving?" she asked, not insulting or reaming in any way. She knew what needed to be done.

"Tomorrow evening," he said. "But I plan to spend as much time with the both of you as I can." He rubbed one eye. "But for now.. it really is very late. I need some sleep."

"Oh! You can have your old room, Kimblee! Everything is still there." She grinned. "I trust you remember where it is?" Kimblee nodded, smiling as well. He rubbed both of his eyes and stretched before walking up the stairs and into the second door on the left, right across from Maddie's room. He looked around the room. Everything was as he remembered it. He didn't waste any time before taking off his worn, scratchy shirt and practically falling onto his bed. Not everyone forgot, he thought before falling to sleep.
Certified Jojo fan