TwoKinds: War of Deikli

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

Re: War of the Dark Ones

#46 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Chapter 32

Back from the Dead... Again

Kimblee snuck quietly up to the group, watching the two he intended to kill. He shifted quietly, continuing along until he reached them. In the blink of an eye, he slashed the mage's throat and punched a hole in the other's stomach. The remaining mercenary fell to the ground, scrambling for his gun, panicking. He pointed his gun at Kimblee shakily.

"You've already done that once." He smiled to the kid. "Get out of here. Make 'em think I killed you too."

"Why?" the mercenary asked. "Why let me go? I'm the one who.. killed you!"

"Simple. You didn't want to. You wouldn't have, if they didn't tell you to." The mercanary sat up, and Kimblee extended his hand.

The kid took it. "So.. how are you.. y'know.."

"Alive? I made a deal with the Devil." This earned him a hard look. "What? It's true; I get to come back, but only this once, never again."

"So.. what, no reincarnation?"

"No reincarnation, no resurrection."

"And you're fine with this."

"Yes, I am." Kimblee turned around. "If it means helping my family, saving them from your comrades, I'll take damnation with a smile." Kimblee began walking again. "What's your name, kid?"

"It's Philip."

"Nice to meet you, Philip." Kimblee's sarcasm could be chewed on, it was so thick.

"Now.. when you told me to get out of here, I think you made a mistake."

"Why's that?"

"Well, I'm the one of the two of us who knows your destination."

Kimblee looked over his shoulder, still walking. "Yeah? Tell me, so I can waste as little time as possible."

Philip gave him another stern look. "I'm coming with you, if it isn't obvious."

Kimblee stopped, staring forward. His ears twitched a bit. "You.. are not coming with me."

"Ah, but I am," Philip said, catching up to Kimblee. He kept walking past him. "See, you could get there following their winding trail, or you could get there by road. Your choice, but I think you'd want to get there as soon as you can." Kimblee glowered at him.

"Hmmph. How do I know I can trust you?"

"Well.. you don't. But you'll have to, if you want to see your family again."

Kimblee stepped towards Philip, his fur darkening. "This is beginning to sound an awful lot like a threat," he growled.

Philip sighed loudly. "Yeah, occupational hazard. Sorry." He peered over Kimblee's shoulder, then at the sky. "There should be a small town nearby. We can get some horses and be well on our way in half an hour."

"I need something faster than a horse."

"What, like an automobile? You think there's a single car in that town?"

"I need one. Soon as possible, remember?" Kimblee saw the tip of a steeple over the trees.

"We'll see. But two horses might have to do."

"Yeah. We'll see."

TWO HOURS LATER

Kimblee's horse neighed as its hooves left the uneven gravel. Philip had kept his horse galloping along in the grass, but Kimblee had little care for his own's well being. His mind, his body, his entire being was focused on getting wherever it was he was going. But they were on a main road now; travel would be fast. Philip assured Kimblee that they'd be there before dusk, and Kimblee could only hope.

Kyoden had long since curled himself into a ball next to his sister, but he still felt more alone than ever. They had come in, with so many guns and swords, and they had taken Marisol. He didn't know to where, and neither did Medora, but he could only think about the look on her face when they grabbed her. It was... terrified and resigned, sorrowful and blissful, seething and at peace, all at once. She had been a flurry of emotions, as were her children. She had thought them inseparable, but all it took was twenty-four men to tear them apart. When they strapped her to the cold, metal table, she panicked. When they brought out the knives, she fell into shock. When they cut, she didn't feel a thing. All she knew was longing; longing for her children, longing for Kimblee, longing for... for home. Not Lyn'Knoll. The Basitin Isles. Her mother. Her friends. Her old life. A part of her wished she'd never even met Kimblee. Then, none of them would be going through what they were going through. The world would have order. She would be a normal Basitin mother, with normal Basitin kids, and normal Basitin friends. But of course, she couldn't let that thought dwell in her mind. It would only cause hatred, she knew it. And if there was any emotion she never wanted to feel, that was it. A pair of rough hands snapped her from her thoughts. She was being lifted, carried somewhere. She couldn't focus on herself, but she knew they'd disabled her. Made her unable to walk. She was defenseless. The last thing Marisol remembered before passing out was her children, crying over her face.

Kyoden backed himself even further against the wall as the heavy iron door opened and a tall, thin mage stepped inside. He bore on his arm three necklaces, one for each of them. As his fell over his ears, he immediately began to feel drained. He attempted to change, but nothing happened. He didn't even turn white. The necklace, he guessed, had made him unable to use his abilities. For his attempts, he recieved a prompt sucker punch, knocking him unconscious. Medora whimpered, and Marisol stirred in her sleep. Why are we in this hell? Medora thought. What did we do to deserve this?
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#47 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Chapter 33

Despair

Kimblee looked up at the mansion's higher floors, his rage intensifying.

"Here we are," Philip mumbled, but Kimblee hardly needed to be told. He hopped down from his horse and began changing. As his eyes clouded black, his claws extended, and his entire form changed, he screamed in anger. Kimblee ran forward, smashing through the wooden doors of the massive estate, right into a gathering of highly esteemed noblemen and women.

"Where?!" he demanded. "Where are they?!" Everyone stared at him, shocked. Then began the panic, and Kimblee could make the head of the party moving towards the back of the ballroom. He pushed through the croud, knocking over as many people as he could, before ripping the mahogany doors out of their frame. As he entered, many bodyguards pointed their weapons at him. But it was no use. In a matter of seconds, Kimblee had ripped through all of them and stood above the bleeding ambassador of the 'free' East.

"Where are you keeping them?" Kimblee demanded once more, getting right into the man's face.

"O-o-out b-b-b-back, in th-the cages!" The ambassador cowered away from Kimblee's swinging hand. "Don't hurt me!"

Kimblee ignored the ambassador's pleas, tearing him to shreds. He smashed through the bay window and into the back, where many slaves and servants turned to gawk at him.

"Take me to the family of three," he growled. Nobody responded. "The three Basitin!"

One slave stepped forward. "F-follow me, sir," she said. Kimblee did so without another word, anticipation boiling. As they approached the cage holding his family, he spotted two silhouetted figures. He grabbed the bars, ripping them from their place. The two looked up at him, then ran into his embrace. It was Kyoden and Medora, but Marisol was nowhere to be seen.

"Where is your mother?" Kimblee asked as calmly as he could. They looked at eachother, then him.

"We don't know," Medora answered, tears streaming down her face. Kimblee recieved a tap on the shoulder, and he turned his head sharply. The slave was pointing to a hill a small ways away, where Kimblee could barely make out a small group of people.

"Watch these two," he told her, and the slave nodded. Kimblee turned back to his kids. "Stay here with her, okay? I'll be back, okay? Right back, with mom, then we'll get out of here, alright?" They both nodded, then hugged him tighter. He stood, nodding to the slave girl, then took off towards the hill.

Marisol awoke with a sharp gasp, her wounds catching up with her. She couldn't see, and her arms were bound, and she could only imagine her feet were as well. Cold air breezed against her, and she shuddered. The sack was lifted roughly from her head, and her hair fell over her face. Her vision was blurry, but she could see that she was surrounded by mercenaries. They were talking about her.

"Well, master said that we could get rid of her if we wanted to. He already got what he wanted."

Another responded. "Yeah, but don't you think this is a little rough? We could just shoot her."

"Don't argue with me, Ranis. We do it my way." Ranis pointed at Marisol, and the leader turned around. He smiled evilly, and pulled a stool over near her. He sat with a thud.

"Hey, there, little lady. Do you know what's going on here?" Marisol spat at him. He wiped his face, glaring. "Fine, then. We were gonna [censored] you first, but now we'll just drop you over the Side." He kicked something off to her left, and she was dragged along towards the edge of the cliff. She screamed, grabbing at the rocks. She heard someone shout, but she couldn't hear it well enough. She heard it again, much closer.

"Marisol!" Kimblee shouted. "No!" Marisol saw Kimblee running towards her as she went over the cliff, falling towards the ocean below. Looking up, she saw multiple bodies follow her down, and Kimblee crouching by the edge. "Fly, Marisol!"

It was all she could do to shift into angelic form, but then she remembered something.

Her wings were gone.

Then she hit the water, sinking down fast.

Kimblee's eyes widened, and he dove off the cliff, his fur darkening to black and his markings glowing red through his shirt. He could feel a pair of horns split through his forehead, and his claws grew even sharper. He hit the surface with a smack, bringing himself level with Marisol. He grabbed the rope tied around her feet and began to saw through it, being dragged deeper and deeper, though he found his need to breathe almost absent. At the moment, all he knew was sawing that rope.

When the rope broke, they were so deep that he could hardly see. He grabbed Marisol and swam for the surface, but he could feel her fading away. Her fur was slowly returning to its normal light brown, and her pulse began to slow. Kimblee pushed upward as fast as he could, and they soon breached the surface. He started swimming towards the nearby shore, where he could see Kyoden, Marisol, Philip, and the slave girl. He stood up as soon as he could, wading out of the water, before he set Marisol down on the sand. He didn't know very well how to resussitate someone, but tried his hardest. Marisol spat out lungfuls of water, and she looked into Kimblee's eyes fearfully before realizing who she was looking at. Where the rope had been around her feet was a ring of raw skin, with blood pouring profusely out. Her back was covered with rock cuts, most of them deep. She was going to bleed out if Kimblee didn't do something soon. He looked around, but nobody he saw was any good at healing. He knew, then, that there was nothing he could do. A bolt of lightning struck the cliff face nearby, and thunder boomed through the valley. The sand around Marisol was turning dark red, and her breathing slowed to almost nothing. With the last of her strength, she grabbed Kimblee's collar and brought him close, whispering something to him. He nodded at her, tears streaming down both of their faces, and she lay back. Kimblee stood and began to walk away, clenching his fists so hard that his claws pierced his skin. Medora ran over to her mother, Kyoden following close behind. Kimblee stopped walking at the sound of sobbing, and he turned around. He saw the two crouched over Marisol.

"D-Dad!" Medora screamed. "M-mom's.. is she... i-is.. is she.." She sniffed. "She'll come b-back, right? Mom will wake up later, r-right?!"

Kimblee stepped closer. "Medora... she.. your mother... M-Marisol can't ever wake up." As he said it, he began to weep.

"B-but she has to! Y-you did!" Medora whimpered. "Why.. why not?!"

"I'm s-sorry.. I was j-just a fluke." Kimblee shut his eyes. "She's... she isn't coming back."

Medora screamed again, burying her head in her mother's hair. Kyoden sat against a boulder, staring at her. Kimblee sat beside Medora, his hand on her back. The slave girl came over and crouched beside Marisol, an arm around her shoulder. Kimblee looked up at Kyoden.

"Kyoden." His son looked at him, his expression blank. "H-help me out, alright? Get some rocks, some big ones, and bring them here, okay?" Kyoden nodded, standing up. He didn't change form, he just walked away. Philip followed him, aiming to help out. Kimblee began to stand up. "Hey, Medora, k-keep her company for me." He made his way down the beach without waiting for an answer, picking a dry spot of dirt. He wouldn't put her in sand, especially not wet sand. It seemed too.. disrespectful. He began digging, ripping into the ground with his claws, pulling up small boulders and throwing them aside. It took him about half an hour, and by the time he was done, Kyoden and Philip had gather enough rocks for a cairn to place above Marisol's grave. He returned to where she lay, and he gently scooped up her body. It was still warm, and her clothes were sopping wet. He removed them before placing her in the grave, and he scooped handfuls of dirt in. Soon, the grave was level, and he began taking the biggest rocks and placing them neatly above the spot of fresh dirt. Within the hour, a proper cairn was built, and Kimblee scratched Marisol's name into the biggest rock near the bottom. Then, he lay against it, Kyoden and Medora on either side of him.

He woke at dawn. His father's arm around his shoulder. His sister on the other side of his father. A bunch of rocks behind his back. Why were the rocks there?

Oh, yeah, He remembered. He felt sick to his stomach. He wanted to go back to sleep, and wake up back home, in his bed across the room from Medora's. He just wanted to be back in that small little house, in a loving town, away from all the fighting. He shut his eyes and drifted back to sleep.
Certified Jojo fan

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#48 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Chapter 34

Snapping

Kimblee's heart skipped a beat as a wave crashed over him. His eyes came flying open, and in the surpirse, he inhaled deeply. As the wave receded, he began coughing his lungs raw, the water coming out in short bursts. He felt for his children; they were close, and he stood up, grabbing an both of their nearest arms. They were coughing, too, and it was then that Kimblee realized he had dug too close to high tide. The water was surely filling the cairn now, soaking... Kimblee cursed silently as he remembered what had happened.

"Dad?" Medora cried through heaving gasps. "D-Dad, can we please get out of the water?" Kimblee picked her up, still coughing.

"Of course we can," he told her. Kyoden was already a few feet away, wading out of the water. Kimblee set Medora on her feet once they rached dry ground. They all looked at Marisol's resting place for a minute, before making their way up a steep incline to the top of the hill. When they were close, Kimblee's ears twitched, and he crouched low to the ground. He pushed Kyoden and Medora down, too; he had heard someone walking in heavy armor. Maybe even an automaton. He peered over the edge of a boulder and saw it: the Keidran-sized machine that walked on two legs. It was controlled by a remote pilot, using some form of direct-control magic. The thing looked directly over towards Kimblee, then continued walking. Kimblee did not want to tangle with one of those; in his 11 year absence, he'd seen then in combat. It took around ten men to take one down, and those men were armed to the teeth. Kimblee was one man; granted, he could take on ten heavily armed men, but it would be one-on-one. And these were piloted by trained professionals, who also happened to have extensive combat training, as well. Plus, it was metal. He, despite all his toughness, was flesh and blood. He could go toe to toe with it for a while, but it would eventually overpower him. After all, it could not overexert.

Once the thing was out of sight, Kimblee came out from behind the rock, looking around for any more of the things. He saw one a ways away, but that was it. He made his way over to the side of a small slave's hut, motioning for Kyoden and Medora to follow. Once they were there, he looked around the corner for any sign of a walking machine. After he was sure, absolutely sure, that the coast was clear, he came out from behind the hut and found a small trail leading into the woods, and surely off the property. Suddenly, he realized something. They were probably here for him. No, definitely. He had killed, brutally evicerated, the ambassador. The ambassador, the single most important person regarding relations with the Basitin and the West. Of course, he had multiple replacements, but none of them were him. He was the one responsible for securing the East's friendship with the Keidran empires. Almost all of them, the only exception being the northern Snow Wolves. They were still hesitant, but were pleasant neighbors, nonetheless. Kimblee almost felt bad for killing the guy. Almost, as this was also the guy who'd kidnapped his family and had him killed, not to mention the owner of one of the most massive slave-worked plantations Kimblee had ever seen.

He froze as the trundling footsteps of an automaton came near. He couldn't tell from which direction, and he darted into the trees, grabbing Kyoden and Medora's shirts to pull them along. After a short wait, the footsteps came to a stop, very close by. A metallic screech rang out from behind them as the machine swung its arm at Kimblee. He ducked, and the thing hit the ground instead.

"Run," Kimblee cried to his children. They did so, only to run into more automatons. They grabbed them both, watching as Kimblee battled the first.

Kimblee stepped back as the machine flung its fist at his head, bringing his own into its gut. The metal dented slightly, but Kimblee's hands split. He slashed at the thing's nape with his claws, but it grabbed him and flipped him onto his back. It brought its pointed elbow down onto Kimblee's chest, knocking the wind out of him. The machine prepared to snap his neck when a blur of white shoved it to the ground. Kimblee looked over to where Kyoden and Medora should be, finding instead an automaton getting back up and Medora ripping another's arm out of its socket. Kimblee looked back to find Kyoden assaulting the first one from the air, dropping large rocks onto it. Kimblee tackled the thing, and, with Herculean effort, managed to pull its head off. It stopped writhing underneath him, and he jumped up to see Medora surrounded by the machines.

"Medora," he shouted. "Get clear!" She heard him, and, slipping through them, escaped from the circle of automatons, who turned to see Kimblee leaping through the air, a massive amount of purple energy arcing off of him. He punched the ground as hard as he could, releasing the shockwave he had built up. Three of the six automatons were disabled on the spot, falling to the ground. The other three were stunned, at least, giving Kimblee time to freely pull one apart. The remaining two stood quickly, surrounding him as well as they could. Kyoden knocked one over, and Medora jumped on the other one's back. Kimblee reached out and grabbed Medora's hand, transferring to her a fair amount of his own purple energy. Her fur stood on end as the electricity danced across her body, and she shuddered.

"Now you try," Kimblee said, grabbing her and throwing her up into the air. She continued upwards for a while before coming to a stop in the air. He couldn't see it, but at the peak of her height, she grinned wildly. She turned back, and sped towards the ground, purple energy trailing from her hands. When she hit, everything went silent. The world turned black, and Kimblee could just barely hear trees toppling. Kyoden came down from his flight and scooped an exhausted Medora up off the ground. He took off again, and Kimblee stood up. His legs felt like lead, and he found it hard to stay upright. He looked around, not recognizing the surrounding area at all. It was a devastation.

Maybe that prophecy was wrong, he thought. Maybe there can be two.

Kimblee hardly got to finish the thought before an automaton pounced on his back. This one was light, smaller; Basitin-made, most likely. But, no matter how hard he pulled, its arms did not come out, and it didn't show any signs of weakening. He tried multiple times to smash its head hard enough into things to disable it, but none worked. It drove him back, towards the same cliffs that Marisol had fallen from. Kimblee had since been using a large tree branch as a club, whacking the machine around. Seeing an opening, though, it jumped at him, and tackled him dangerously close to the edge. He wrestled with it, elbowing it under the armpits to get its hands off of him. He kicked the automaton over the edge, and stood to brush himself off. He looked around, scanning the hillsides for his children. He spotted them far off, coming towards him. Or rather, Kyoden was carrying Medora towards him. He waved to them, getting their attention, and they came closer. Kimblee felt a tugging on his foot, and he was dragged over the edge, dangling by his foot in the automaton's grasp. It had latched onto the cliff face, and was about to let go. Kimblee, thinking only to finally break this thing, focused a blast of energy on the rocks it was latched onto, and it fell with Kimblee. They spun wildly during the fall, Kimblee eventually coming to position on top. He 'stood' shakily and kicked off from the thing, smiling as it was impaled by a small spire. Kimblee closed his eyes as he fell, enjoying the rush of the wind, not realizing his own impending doom. It was a peaceful state of being, the traces of the feeling of final victory shimmering in his mind. As he was sure to hit the rocks, he felt his descent slow a bit, then a lot, then level out right above the water. He looked up, and could swear that Marisol was carrying him to safety. With a sigh of content, he passed out, the day catching up with him.
Certified Jojo fan

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#49 Post by Bellhead »

"free east", HUH, AMBASSADOR?!
Jeez. He deserved what he got.

Now.. Kimblee, Medora and Kyoden each have advanced magical abilities, and each can transform into beings of extreme power. How do none of them know any healing magic?

Marisol, may you rest in peace. And may your soul be avenged and reborn again.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#50 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

I have finished writing out the plot for the next two stories. I figured, what with War of Deikli almost finished, I should start planning future stories.

Also official renaming and addressing of previous inconsistencies time!

Earlier in the story, I came up with a better name for the Dark Ones than "the Dark Ones". I called them the Daekil, if I remember right. They were meant to be called the Deikli. Also, I said that the year was sometime inth 1500's. It isn't; it's 921. Right now, at least. Kyoden and Medora were born in 910, and Kimblee was born in 895.

There. I believe that's it.
Certified Jojo fan

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

Re: War of Deikli -- Renamed

#51 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Chapter 35

Riddled with 'Scotts'

Kimblee awoke in a small room, laying on a cot. He sat up, and found himself in restraints. His son and daughter sat close by, unbound. They were both asleep.

How long have I been out? he thought.

Where am I?

As if on cue, someone entered the room through a battered steel door. Her face looked familiar, but he couldn't quite place it.

"I heard you were back among the living," she said with a smile. Her uniform was definitely different from the last time he'd seen her. He smiled back, until her realized the compromising position he was restrained in. He immediately remembered who she was. "That's right! Brigadier General Krecklow, at your service!" She gave him a crisp salute.

"At ease," he rasped. His voice was gone, as if he'd been screaming for hours, without end.

"At ease? At ease?! I should be telling you to be at ease, you dark, floofy-eared [censored]-stain!" Krecklow feigned rage, turning around. She looked over her shoulder, her eyes teasing Kimblee, which made him not uncomfortable, but angry.

"I really wish you wouldn't do that," he almost-growled. She turned back towards him, leaning forward. Her dress blues were arranged in such a way that they showed off an immense amount of skin, which made Kimblee even more angry.

"Do what?" she purred. He glowered at her, then sighed.

"You don't know the details, do you?" She looked confused, sitting in a nearby chair.

"What details? Do tell, Kimblee." He looked forward, at the wall.

"Why I'm here, wherever this is."

"You killed the free East's ambassador. Granted, he was a hypocritical tit-gypsy, and the [censored] would have gotten the death penalty anyway, but you killed him. Murdered him."

Kimblee nodded satisfactorily. "And do you know why?"

"Actually, that's why I came here." Kimblee nodded once more. She really didn't know.

He gestured, as best he could, over towards his children. "They'd been kidnapped. Taken, right out from under my nose, along with--" He choked up, his eyes glistening. "Along with Marisol, who I'm sure you remember." She nodded, writing on a notepad.

"So, you killed him in a bloodthirsty rampage?" she asked quite seriously. Kimblee smiled humorlessly.

"Something like that." He cleared his throat, his voice still a bit raspy. "I found them two, but Marisol wasn't around. One of your ambassador's slaves pointed me in the right direction, but I got there too late." Krecklow stopped writing and looked at him, eyes wide.

"Wh... what had they done?" she asked, afraid to hear the answer.

"They... had thrown her.. off of a cliff... into the ocean." Kimblee squeezed his eyes shut, leaning back against the wall. It struck him with sudden finality. He hadn't thought about it before, not in depth. Marisol...

Marisol was gone. He didn't want to think 'dead'. That was too.. brutal a word for Marisol. It hurt too much. He would admit it to himself sooner or later, but the wound wasn't just still open: it was gushing. Marisol is gone. That felt better than saying 'Marisol is dead'.

"I went in after her. I got her out. But she was too.. cut up. She told me, with her last breath, she said--" He couldn't finish the sentence. Krecklow was covering her mouth with one hand, looking at him in shock.

"Your wife..?"

Kimblee nodded. He opened his eyes when he felt a hand on his shoulder, seeing it to be Medora's.

"Dad," she said, hugging him tightly. After a moment, she looked over at the Brigadier General. "Can you let him out of these?" she asked, indicating the restraints.

Krecklow shook her head. "Sorry, darling. Your father--"

"Didn't do anything wrong!" Kyoden cried, wiping the sleep from his eyes. "That man took us, and he had slaves. He deserved to die!"

"I know, and I agree. If it were up to me, Kimblee and you and your sister would be on the first boat out of here, back home. But your father killed a man. No matter what, he killed a man. And there's nothing I can do but stand for him in court." She shook her head again. "I don't think he'll end up getting off scott-free. In fact, I think he'll be.. riddled with scotts."

"Uh.. not helping," Kimblee said. She nodded, looking down. "Could you at least readjust them so I'm not.. y'know.. showing off to everyone?" he asked. Krecklow smiled.

"That, I can do." She unbelted the restraints awkwardly. "And.. I'm sorry about your wife, and... how I've acted around you." She straightened out her blouse, and pulled down her skirt.

Kimblee repositioned himself more comfortably. "Thank you. Contrary to what you and.. your colleagues might think, I do have functioning emotions. I am.." He looked himself over. ".. not a psycopath." Medora looked pleadingly at Krecklow. "Okay," he began.

"Maybe a little?" Krecklow finished with a smile. Medora looked back at Kimblee, her face breaking into a grin.

"We'll be okay, Dad." She squeezed him tight. "I know it."
Certified Jojo fan

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

Re: War of Deikli -- 13/2, Ch. 35

#52 Post by Bellhead »

So he's stuck in some sort of prison. Pleasant. At least his children are with him, and they'll even apparently try him in court.

Great update, Inception!
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#53 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Thanks! :mrgreen:

I try, I really do.

All I have to say is this: prepare for an ending in a while.
Certified Jojo fan

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#54 Post by Bellhead »

InceptionBwaaa wrote:All I have to say is this: prepare for an ending in a while.
Better be a happy one. The story is just too good.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#55 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

I've decided to officially stop naming chapters and just give the number.

Chapter 36

Kimblee sat behind a wooden desk, his hands cuffed. Not that it would do much good; he could kill everyone in this room. But he wasn't going to, and they knew it. The handcuffs were just a formality. His daughter and son sat behind him, and the Brigadier General was his defense. The judge sat on his ivory tower, banging the gavel to get everyone's attention.

"Order! Order." His voice was high and nasally, like he drank too much milk. "We'll hear the offense first."

A man stood up to Kimblee's right. He was dressed in a very neat business suit, and had many metal rings in his wolven ears. "Your Honor, I'm here today to convince you and the jury that this Basitin," he said with a point at Kimblee, "is a madman." He straightened his tie and posture, looking towards the jury. "He killed the free East's ambassador, everyone. The only thing keeping him from killing all of us is an entire batallion of officers right outside the doors." He turned to meet Kimblee's gaze. "Even then, we don't know if we're safe." The wolf cleared his throat, sitting down.

Kimblee sat up. "Can we just end this here?" he asked politely. "Yes, I killed that [censored]. If that's what I'm on trial for, then you have your verdict. Do with me what you will." He looked to his children. "They're safe. That's all I care about."

"The trial, Mr. Keiser, is not deciding that. You are on trial for your mental state," the judge finished.

"Oh, I'm not perfectly sane. In fact, I myself am convinced that I'm somewhat psycotic. I killed that ambassador without a second thought. So do your worst. Lock me away for life. Put me in the psych ward. I don't care."

"Alright, Mr. Keiser. This court is adjourned! The jury will return tomorrow wih their verdict." He sneered at Kimblee. "I hope you're happy."

"Wait," came a voice from the crowd. A fox Keidran, highly decorated, stood up in the back. "If I may offer an alternative to Mr. Keiser's being locked away?" The judge sighed annoyedly and gestured for him to step forward. "Good."

As the fox stepped forward, Rochey elbowed him lightly. "That's Gesz," she whispered. "He's the commander of the entire Defense. He heads the fight against the Deikli." She smiled. "You might be in luck."

"We're currently in the process of launching a series of attacks on the enemy. We need someone like Mr. Keiser for this fight. I say that, instead of being imprisoned, he join us on our missions. Let's say.. 10."

"Ten?" The judge scoffed. "That's hardly enough for a military promotion."

Gesz smiled. "Not in my department. These are practically suicide missions. High risk of death. Ten is almost too many for him." The judge banged the gavel.

"Fine, Gesz. I'll trust your judgement. Kimblee Keiser goes on ten missions under your command. Then.. he spends three months in a minimum security prison by the coast. Afterwards, he leaves for the Basitin Isles and never returns to the East." Commander Gesz frowned, turning away. Kimblee caught his eye, and his frown became a smile. As everyone left the courtroom, Kimblee bent down to speak to his children.

"Alright, I'm going to get us some food on the way to our hotel. What kind do you guys want?" he asked them. They didn't have a response; both were shellshocked. "Okay, how about we just get some rest?" They both nodded. Kimblee held out his hands to one of the officers and rubbed his wrists as the handcuffs were removed.

There wasn't much time for Kimblee to say goodbye. Gesz had sent for him, and Kimblee had to be briefed on his first mission. After that, they were leaving to go do it. So Kimblee decided to wake up early the next morning, and make the kids breakfast. He grabbed a neatly folded towel before taking a quick shower.

This could be my last shower, he thought. He scrubbed his scalp, forcing the image of his two children orphaned and homeless from his mind. Even if he did die, they wouldn't be left for themselves. After he dried himself off, he put on a dark, stained shirt and a pair of naval cargo pants. Lately, clothing had taken a big step forward; instead of the practically-burlap shirts and the leather pants of his childhood, there were now artificial fibers that made up clothing. Plastics, metals, even. Most were still natural cloth, but they could be weaved into much finer thread counts. Shirts are soft now, he considered absentmindedly. He made his way into the small kitchen, finding eggs and sausage in the freezerbox.

He cracked the eggs into a metal bowl and stirred them together until they melded into a light orange mixture. He chopped the sausage into small bits and fried them over a heating element, adding the egg liquid when they were sufficiently cooked. The result was an amateur omelete, but it was enough to wake Kyoden and Medora. They came from their room with uplifted noses, their downtrodden expressions replaced with tired curiosity. Kimblee sat them at the table and placed the the omeletes in front of them, and they both dug in. After Kyoden finished, he too took a shower.

"You have to leave today, don't you?" Medora asked, waiting for Kyoden to finish. Kimblee nodded, his face unreadable. "But you'll be back, right?" Kimblee looked over at Medora, and he saw tears in her eyes.

"Oh, Medora," he responded, coming over to embrace her. "Of course I'll come back. I can't ever leave you again." Kimblee's ears turned towards the sound of Kyoden's feet on the floor, and he barely had time to catch him in the hug before he tackled into them. They all laughed quite a bit, until their stomachs hurt. When they could, they stood up, and Kimblee got them into an automobile and drove them to where Sjin was staying.

Kimblee knocked on the door to where Sjin was staying, and a young fox Keidran answered the door.

"Hello," Kimblee introduced himself and his children. "Is there a Sjin here?" The fox nodded, and she opened the door wider.

"Just take a seat, and he'll be out in a moment," she said.
Certified Jojo fan

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#56 Post by Bellhead »

Scuicide mission, huh? I'm sure he'll be fine. I mean, he's done those enough times before.

Side note: When preparing somebody for a job/mission/etc, said person is being briefed on it; the explanation/description itself is known as a briefing. Debriefing happens after the mission/job/etc. has ended, and the person or people involved recap what happened.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#57 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Bellhead wrote: Side note: When preparing somebody for a job/mission/etc, said person is being briefed on it; the explanation/description itself is known as a briefing. Debriefing happens after the mission/job/etc. has ended, and the person or people involved recap what happened.
Thunks belly luv u bb

Also, Gesz called them suicide missions, and he knows full well how powerfu--

I've said too much.
Certified Jojo fan

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

Re: TwoKinds: War of Deikli

#58 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

New update, and some happy news!

War of Deikli is a yearand a few daysold! Happy story anniversary!

Hope you enjoy this brand spankin' new chunk of font!

Chapter 37

There was no delay in Kimblee's trip to the compound just outside of Sil. It served as a military base and weapons storage facility, which Kimblee was apprehensive about. His legs felt like lead as he stepped out of the vehicle and onto the asphalt. Walking behind Gesz and a few armed officers, he entered and was led to a small meeting room. Gesz gestured for him to sit down, taking a seat in the chair opposite.

"Wait outside," he said to the officers. They gave a crisp salute, one Kimblee had never seen before, with the left arm braced against the right shoulder, the right hand against the left elbow in a fist. As Kimblee and Gesz were left alone, the commander sighed deeply. He extended a hand, and Kimblee shook it firmly, trying to read Gesz's face. It was unreadable except for the thin-lipped smile on the commander's snout. "If you don't already know, my name is Commander Aliheu Gesz. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr. Keiser."

Kimblee's hand returned to his side, and he laced it into the pocket of his dark brown fatigues. "Please, call me Kimblee." His smile faded a bit as he remembered proper military decorum. "Sir."

"Very well, Kimblee." Gesz shedded his coat onto the back of his chair and loosened his tie. He pulled from his pocket a small cardboard box, which opened at the top. Inside were thin white sticks, and he pulled one out. He replaced the box, then pulled a miniature kerosene lighter from the other pocket. He put one end of the stick into his mouth, and held a flame under the other end, drawing in a breath. "If you don't mind, let's keep this between you and me," he said, smoke rising from his mouth as he exhaled. "The smoking, I mean. The rest, everyone knows." He took another drag. "I'm only doing this because, if you don't already know, it's quite stressful being in the same room as you. Only because you could tear me to shreds, rip the officers outside in two, and escape into the wilderness with impunity." He smiled a bit. "But you won't, will you?"

Kimblee shook his head. "You seem to know that I wouldn't." Kimblee offered a smile of his own. "Unless you've done anything particularly nasty in your past that you don't intend on apologizing for," he joked. Gesz dabbed the lit end of his stick into a small glass bowl, and reached behind him to turn the ventilation up to max. He sat forward, facing Kimblee directly.

"Tell me something."

"Shoot."

"Do you really intend on going on these missions?"

Kimblee nodded. "I thought you might ask that." He cleared his throat. "Ever been to the Basitin Isles, commander?" Gesz shook his head, and Kimblee carried on. "If I were to abandon a post as a soldier in either of those armies, I'd be banished from both." He was probably exaggerating, but all the better to gain Gesz's trust. "Plus, it's a little known fact that a Basitin would seriously consider killing his own flesh and blood if a commanding officer ordered it." He scratched his chin; the fur there was growing out. Maybe I should grow a beard, he thought. "We follow orders to hell and back, sir. It's in our blood." Gesz nodded satisfactorily.

"Good. I'm glad to have you watching our backs." He stood up quite suddenly, and very sneakily dumped the ashes into the nearby trashbin before stashing the bowl in his pocket. He put back on his coat, and straightened his tie. "This is the part where I show you the barracks, and you meet your bunkmates." He opened the door, and the two officers looked to him expectantly. He waved them off without a word and began walking down a hallway to their left. Kimblee followed, looking around. The place was huge; at least half a square mile, and with two stories. More of a fortress than a military base, Legacy Command was the front of Gesz's defense force. More than a thousand soldiers under his command, all living weapons, aimed at the Deikli. It seemed to Kimblee that those subterranian [censored] didn't stand a chance, but if Gesz needed his help, then the Deikli themselves must have quite a large force. Kimblee was snapped from his thoughts as he and Gesz entered the barracks, where most of Gesz's men lived. All eyes immediately turned to Kimblee; it was like he was glowing. From somewhere in the room came a shout: "Officer on deck!" Simultaneously, the soldiers stood with a fierce salute that made Kimblee a little bit homesick. He smiled, and tried his best to replicate the salute, but he mixed up the arms. This drew some grimaces from those nearby enough to notice, but Kimblee didn't mind. This was where he belonged; this was home. He quickly corrected the salute.

"At ease!" Gesz barked a few moments later. He turned to see Kimblee with a wide smile on his face, arms behind his back, fingers interlaced. "Everyone," he began, his voice amplified by some spell. "This is Kimblee Keiser, our freshest, most powerful recruit." He snapped his fingers loudly, getting the attention of a few in the back of the large room. "You are to treat him as one of your own; as if he was a ranking officer himself. Piss him off badly enough, and I'll personally advocate him an alibi in the case of you being maimed at his claws." Gesz turned back toward Kimblee and smiled. "Now that you've met everyone and everyone's met you," he said, his voice quiet again, "I, and a few others, will be briefing you on your first mission. Be back in that little conference room in half an hour with these on." He grabbed a pair of fatigues and a white shirt from one of the officers next to him, pushing them into Kimblee's arms. "We'll have a pair of tags made for you before the mission tomorrow." Kimblee took the clothing, nodding. He looked around and spotted an empty bed, making his way toward it. A few people gave him some pats on the back, mostly Keidran, while others bored into him with icy and fiery glares alike. He set the clothing on the lower bunk before him, and slipped off his shirt. He pulled the white tee over his ears before quickly removing his trousers. He hastily pulled the fatigues up, before realizing that nobody was paying attention to him. They had all gone back to whatever they were doing beforehand, be it card games or arm wrestling. He came over to one of the tables and pulled up a chair, receiving a few nods of greeting from the players. He scanned over the game, and noticed real money in the middle. He didn't have any of that. Maybe he could play just to play; no gambling, yet. He could do that later. As soon as possible, he was dealt in, and was being led through the game of poker by a stout tiger Keidran named Aithi, though his named was pronounced more like 'A-hee'. Soon, Kimblee was playing like a pro, and had even borrowed a few silver pieces from Aithi to get him started. He broke even quickly, handing what he owed back to the tiger with a smile. From there, he kept playing, and he blew half of his earnings. He decided that he would stop while he could, and retired. He gazed up at the massive cieling clock; he had about fifteen minutes. Enough to find a decent meal, surely. His stomach hadn't handled the morning's omelete very well, and parting with Kyoden and Medora had made him sick. He asked Aithi to show him around, and the tiger nodded, setting his cards face down on the table. He sat back and gave the other players a quick smile before standing and leading Kimblee straight to the mess hall. On their way, Kimblee could hear the other players exclaim in surprise.

"What was that?" he asked Aithi.

"That," Aithi answered, "was the guys seeing my hand." Kimblee looked back.

"What'd you have?"

Aithi laughed. "A very good hand that would've won me a lot of money," he said with a grin.

"Wow." Kimblee scratched the back of his head. "I guess I took it from you, then.."

Aithi gave him a light punch on the shoulder. "No worries; I've got plenty more chances to win twice, maybe even ten times what was on that table." He snickered. "Those guys are cheaper than a street performer. They only bet the minimum, and they play me to try to win big."

"They never do," Kimblee guessed, which widened Aithi's grin.

"No, they don't." He patted Kimblee's back as he turned around, leaving Kimblee by the mess. "Go on inside; the food's only free during lunch hours, but it's cheap otherwise." Kimblee nodded, giving a short wave. He pushed open the door and the smell of grease filled his nose. He came up to the counter and looked at the luminescent menu. He could get a sausage on a bun for 52 silver pieces, or he could get a slice of pear pie for 48. He went with the pie, having not had any in... Now that I think about it, I haven't had pie in around twelve years, he thought. He quickly downed the small piece of pear pie. It was fantastic, some of the best pie he'd tasted. He wanted to buy another, but he only had a handful of silver pieces. He quickly left the mess before he was tempted to borrow more money from Aithi, and he made his way to the conference room. He knocked on the door, and a blond human of average height let him inside. He took a seat across from the group of officers, Gesz included, sitting on the opposite side of the circular table.
Certified Jojo fan

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#59 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Sorry, guys. Fallout has had my attention for a while, and not just numero quatro.

Finale

It was early in the morning when he set off. They had a large aircraft in waiting. He and his comrades, a group of five other soldiers, were to head for Deikli territory after making a supply drop to some soldiers on the front lines. Nothing too complicated, and they'd be where they needed to be at sundown. Kimblee said his goodbyes to his new friends and stepped towards the aircraft, the cool breeze brushing against his fur. His arms tingled, and he looked around. Something was not right. He couldn't place it, but the scent in the air..

"Keiser!" called a voice at the base of the airship's ramp. "Hurry up." It was Aithi. He was the only one of Kimblee's new friends accompanying him on this mission. Kimblee hurried toward the tiger, a thin smile spreading across his face. Aithi gave him a light push on the shoulder, returning the smile in full. "You're coming back, you hear me? Your kids, they'll be here waiting."

As if on cue, two simultaneous "Dad!" shouts rang across the wet lot. Kyoden and Medora approached rapidly, and Kimblee bent down, spreading his arms to wrap them in a warm embrace.

"Promise me you'll be here when I get back," he whispered. They both nodded, and he tightened his arms around them. "Later today. I promise." They all pulled out of the hug, and Kimblee rose to his feet.

"Time to go," said the just-arriving Gesz. He gave Kimblee a pat on the shoulder as he stepped up the ramp and into the ship. Kimblee gave Kyoden and Medora each a similar pat before turning to follow his commander up. The engines of the airship roared to life, the runway lighting up in the dark, misty morning. The ramp whirred as it slid closed, settling into its nook as the plane lurched forward. It picked up speed quick, as Kimblee could see looking out one of the circular windows, and was soon moving faster than..

Nevermind, Kimblee thought. He grimaced as the image left him, replaced with a much calmer imaginary cheetah losing ground as the plane sped past. It began to lift off the runway, and Kimblee could see the fence at the end rush beneath them. He took a deep breath, and turned his head from the sight of flight. It was something he didn't enjoy particularly well, being so far above the ground. The dream from long ago, about falling from the sky, came to mind. He didn't care for it, that was certain. He was quickly tuning himself in to the loud humming of the propellors, and as he drifted out of focus, Gesz came by, reaching down to buckle and fasten Kimblee's belt. The plane was likely to lose altitude in a rough storm, Gesz had told him. If they were low enough, a storm would ground them. The straps, he had also said, would keep them in their seats, pressed up against the large slab of metal that made up the side of the plane. Kimblee nodded to Gesz, who strode up a flight of stairs and into the cockpit of the aircraft. Kimblee assumed he was the copilot. His gaze drifting down to the steel floor at his feet, Kimblee quickly lost his sense of time, drifting off into an uneasy sleep.

FOUR HOURS LATER

A loud rocking of Kimblee's seat awoke the tired Basitin to the opening of the ramp. They had reached the point for their supply drop, and two soldiers were pushing large crates towards the opening. Kimblee watched them for a moment before unbuckling from his seat, rising to his feet and approaching a crate. He looked it over; it was one of the crates to be dropped here. He rolled his head side to side, popping his knuckles. His fur darkened a bit, the color draining from it. With a grunt, he grabbed onto the two nearest corners. He pulled, and the crate shifted. He pulled harder. The crate slid a bit, rolling to a stop a few seconds after he'd stopped pulling. Wheels, he realized. He gave another mighty pull, continuing as his feet carried him back. Finally, there was enough space for him to get to the other side and push. Pushing the crate was a whole other matter; it moved towards the ramp with ease. Kimblee gave a hard shove, and the crate rolled steadily towards the opening. It picked up speed as it went, cruising down and eventually out of the airship. The blast of wind tugged the pullstring, and the parachute opened a few seconds after it left. The flare on the side also sprouted its red smoke and sparks. Kimblee turned, swinging his arms in front of him. There didn't seem to be any more crates to push or pull out, and so he strode to his seat, the ramp whirring closed again. With a light groan, Kimblee plopped back down, buckling and tightening his belts. Despite the noise from the plane and the rather rude awakening, he managed to fall back asleep.

Meanwhile, in the belly of the cargo plane, a certain bright white flying Basitin rested with the landing gear. His sister sat across from him, sleeping like a log. But Kyoden couldn't catch any sleep. Not now, not when they were in danger of discovery at every passing footfall, especially with his sister's snoring. He reached over and, for the third time this flight, flicked her nose. She awoke with a jolt, baring her teeth. When she realized it was just her brat of a brother, she growled lowly, settling back against the parachute bags.

"You're louder in your sleep than you are awake," Kyoden hissed, folding his arms. She scowled, then grunted aloud as a bit of turbulence introduced the cold metal ceiling to the top of her head. Kyoden covered his mouth, laughing quietly into his open hand.

"At least I am sleeping," she said, her mild irritation gone. "You've been up for three days straight, Kyo. Rest." Kyoden shook his head, looking down at his feet.

"I can't sleep. Not after all that's happened." Medora tilted her head. "I keep seeing mom," he admits, shutting his eyes as though he'd been stabbed.

"Yeah. Asleep is the only place I don't see her." They looked at eachother, and, for the first time in nearly four months, hugged eachother tightly. They stayed like this for a little while, a light sniffle coming from either of the two(or perhaps both) every couple of moments.

TWO HOURS LATER

As the plane soared above and past the unofficial border of Deikli territory, they were spotted almost immediately. The Deikli proceeded to aim all of their weapons skyward, awaiting word from their commander to open fire. The order never came, because Commander Gesz had called ahead. The Deikli higher-ups knew the cargo plane was incoming, but not the cargo it held. And so, weapons primed and ready, the Deikli allowed the airship to pass over its borders, their collective trigger finger itching like a homeless man's five o'clock shadow. That wasn't, of course, all they did. The Deikli were known to have certain technology that wasn't supposed to exist yet. And so, their escort ships had the ability to detect heat signatures, and some of the more ancient Deikli were able to trigger episodes in certain beings. Their plan was to do exactly that, and monitor the heat signatures that came from the ship to see if any figure aboard spiked.

Kimblee stared out the window beside his seat at the largest of two airships that were escorting them. He was especially pissed off that they were being watched at all times now, making it hard for him to move around - he couldn't be spotted, after all, and the windows were wide enough. From this distance, he looked like your average Basitin. But, should he stand up, they'd definitely recognize his height. Kimblee wasn't supposed to be as tall as he was, but that was the effect of turning into a 6'5" superbeing on a regular basis. And so, his height had skyrocketed from a meager 4'-something to 6'1", an almost unheard of height for Basitin. It did have the advantage of making him more intimidating without having to change, but in this case, it made him a glowing sitting duck. Below, Kyoden and Medora slept, nestled up against eachother for warmth in the cold space.

A loud snap and a clang alerted the crew to a sudden change in their powerful comrade, and all heads turned to Kimblee as he sat, slightly larger than before. The change in size had broken the belts holding him in his seat, and he fell forward, his vision blurred as an involuntary change left a ringing in his ears. His head was pounding; he felt like he'd been thrown out of the plane. Finally, the pain subsided, and he rose to his feet, gripping the railing above to steady himself. A call came down from the cockpit; all Kimblee heard was 'missile'. That was enough for him, he was getting off this deathtrap now, and nobody would stop him. He headed towards the parachutes; there were plenty of them, almost ten, and there were only six people on this plane. He reached for one, but Aithi stepped in front of him. Kimblee growled, baring his teeth at his friend, who folded his arms and stared up at the grey-furred beast before him. Kimblee's fingers curled inward, and his head began to dip.. when an earsplitting explosion rocked the cabin, sending Kimblee sprawling across the floor towards the far wall. When he finally looped his fingers into a few of the holes in the floor, he looked up, and saw a gaping hole in the front left side of the hull - right where the front left wheel was held. His eyes widened as he saw two bodies, one glowing bright white. This one held another by the forearm, preventing her from plummeting to her doom. Through the hole, he could see the treeline, approaching fast. He had to get to her, with a parachute, and get off this plane.

Kyoden had changed fairly quickly, a new record. As soon as he heard the missile approaching, he knew to change. It was almost instinct. He had rooted himself in place by jamming his fist through the wall and grabbing tight onto the first thing his hand met. His other hand shot to Medora's, gripping her forearm tight. The missile hit with enough force to.. well, rip open a cargo plane. He couldn't think of a better analogy at that moment, and he continued to grip tight with both of his hands. Medora was flailing below, her terrible fear of heights taking hold. Kyoden's fingers slipped through the fur of her arm, and she fell a few inches before he caught her hand. As his strength began to fail, a blur of dark grey slammed into his sister, snatching her from him before he could blink.

As he realized what had happened, he cried out in relief, letting go of the pipe and letting himself fall from the hole in the plane. He stayed in free fall for a few moments before spreading his wings wide, the wind catching them and steadying his fall to a glide. He was almost calm as he drifted, watching his father's parachute unfurl and catch on the wind in a similar manner. He looked back up, watching as a few more people leaped from the hole in the place. Suddenly, another blur smashed into the airship - a second missile. The already burning hunk of metal erupted into a blast of flame, incinerating anyone still inside or even fairly close. His eyes widened as a twisted, scorched chunk of rent metal was hurled at him faster than he could move out of the way. He could only twist himself, watching, as if in slow motion, as the deadly spike sliced through the bit of skin at the top of his nose and between his eyes before continuing down. He heaved a heavy sigh of relief, following its path. He cried out again, this time in panic, as the metal tore through his father and sister's parachute. He immediately dove, tucking in his wings to gain as much speed as possible. He was moving impossibly fast, faster than he'd ever been, but he couldn't catch them in time. They dropped into the largest tree in the area, hanging just above a section of a lake. He dropped to the ground, wincing as his feet stung from the impact. Looking up, he didn't see anyone at first; then, the tree caught fire, and he could plainly make out the gray figure writhing in the branches. He took flight once more, snatching his father from the tree and touching down hard in the water just yards away. He shook the water from his head, looking back up at the tree. Medora was nowhere to be found. He heard his father groan, and turned back to see the water around him invaded by a dark red cloud. The metal had gone straight through Kimblee, leaving a bubbling hole in his abdomen. It must've..

Kyoden almost lost himself in panic as he dove down into the water. Everything was dark, and he could hardly see the rocks at his feet. There! Off a ways, a flashing of purple. It had to be his sister. He pushed forward, using his wings to spin himself as he floated towards his sister like a torpedo. As he reached her, he could see the hunk of metal impaled in her chest, keeping her from rising to the surface. The scene was illuminated by purple sparks arcing through the water, invading his body as he tried as hard as he could to free the piece of place from his sister's chest. It didn't budge, and he was shoved aside by his father, who, despite the gaping hole in his abdomen, was pulling with all his might on the spike. It still didn't budge, not until Kyoden grabbed onto the other side and pumped the water with his wings. Finally, the thing slipped out of Medora, and the two of them both grabbed onto her and pushed from the bottom of the lake.

Everything was blurry as Medora breached the surface, aided by her father and brother. She couldn't breath, even though she was no longer surrounded by the crushing depth of the lake. It had been quick; the feeling had left the lower three quarters of her body before she knew she'd been spiked. It was when she hit the water that the pain began. Of course, it was minimal. The metal had broken through her spinal cord just below her heart, and she couldn't feel anything more than a stinging at the very top of the wound. It was a decent way to go, so thought she, but it seemed Kyoden and Kimblee wouldn't let her go. They were placing her down on the sand now, and her shoulderblades were warm against the pool of her own blood. They were both crouching over her, and she could feel their tears hit her cheeks. Though her hearing was muffled, she could make out the desperate cry that reminded her all to much of the beach below the cliff, where her mother had died. This was a similar situation. I'm going out like mama, she thought, the corners of her lips twitching upward until she was grinning widely. It felt good. People always said that dying would be cold, but she was warm. So warm..

Kimblee fell silent as his daughter's eyes faded. It was all he could do to refrain from shredding the nearest living thing to ribbons. After all, the nearest living thing was his son, and he knew it the back of his mind that he couldn't lose both of his children. It killed him inside to think such, almost as much as the death of his beloved daughter. He leaned back, looking up at the night sky. Medora was gone, there was nothing he could do. She didn't know that she could 'evoke her icon'. She was dead, and there was nothing that could be done about it. At least, that's what he would've thought if he was just a hint more tired. Instead, his mind was racing, trying to put together some way to get her back, some way to--

Of course! Of course! It was so simple. He'd even thought about it just before this whole situation began. He could--

No, I can't. He couldn't trade himself for her. Not now. He'd already traded his future for his present. His soul wouldn't be worth very much now that it couldn't inhabit another body. How would he even get back there, anyway? He'd uttered the phrase many times in the last few weeks. Evokus iconum. Nothing had happened. Maybe he needed to be at the brink of death, like last time. Maybe it wouldn't work again. Either way, he had no way to return Medora, and he could try all he wanted.

Kyoden wasn't as calm. He was slouched over his sister, his body racking with sobs. He rested his forehead against hers, staring into her faded eyes. Her grin had lessened, now just a loose smile. She no longer bled, there was nothing left to leave her veins. She wasn't gone, she couldn't be. For all his strength, all his power, there was nothing he could do, and he felt dead inside for it. He wished it'd been him; he wished he wouldn't have spun, he wished the burning chunk of metal had buried itself in his head. All he wanted in the world was for his sister. It had been too quick, he wanted more time with her, he wanted to say he was sorry for being a brat, he wanted to hug her and for her to hug him. His hair hung down from his head, covering his face. He didn't want his father to see his face twist into a look of hot, sizzling fury. His sorrow had turned to fear, and from fear to anger. They were kids. They wanted to stay with their father. They just wanted to be happy again. Instead, these monsters from under the earth had blown them out of the sky, and a piece of their plane had killed his sister. His sister. Medora.

Nothing could've stopped him then. His wings raised themselves up high as he knelt, the backs of each wing brushing against each other. With a great pump of his shoulders, he rose into the air, shining bright white in the starry sky. He watched as the remains of the airship slowly burned the forest to the ground, and he knew what to do. He brought himself over to the fires, faced away, and funneled air towards them as fast as possible. The flames roared, and began to spread at astonishing speed. He kept this up until the fires were spread out as far as he could see; the only trees not aflame sat on the grade of the mountain just a mile away. He wanted the entire continent to burn, because he could destroy them then. He could wipe them out. And his father knew exactly what Kyoden was doing.

He ducked under a falling tree, sprinting through the inferno and towards the grade. He was going fast, and it didn't take him long to get there. By the time he did, the fires had touched every tree in the area. Everything was burning. Kimblee couldn't see the stars, but he could see his son, fueling the flames with everything he had. This was their chance, this was the time to strike. They wouldn't see them coming. They'd be thought dead, incinerated like the others. Briefly, he wondered if Gesz made it. If so, he might be a viable substitute for himself. If not, then this would be his end. He would need to get to Lyn'Knoll, what remained of it, and he ahd to do it before the fire. Luckily, the fire had a hard time spreading up the grade, and Kimblee could take the incline at full stride. As he reached the top, the fires of his son's devastation were licking at his heels. He could see it - lights, in the distance. An hour's run from here, if he pushed himself to his limit and didn't stop. He knew they'd kept it. He knew that he could use it against them. He knew that he could wipe them out, once and for all.

ONE HOUR LATER

He had long since finished his fanning, and he glided forward at a mild pace. He'd nearly worn himself out, beating his wings for an hour straight. All he had to do now was return home. If he could see his old home again, he could go in peace. Kyoden was confident that his father would do all that he could. He was confident his father would destroy them. So he could rest when he saw his home again. Nothing else would do.

Kimblee stopped before the wall of a compound, but he was moving too fast, and rammed into it hard. A crack formed in the wall, and he stood absolutely still, like a deer caught in the lights of an automobile. Nothing else happened; they seemed to not have noticed. The wall was taller than he expected. He couldn't jump over. So instead, he decided to take advantage of the crumbling of where he'd hit and took off back into the forest. When he was a sufficient distance away, and could see the fires coming down the grade, he turned around and ran back. He didn't stop this time, bracing his shoulder. He slammed into the wall with tremendous force, smashing through it and into the courtyard of East City Hall. Immediately, the Deikli in the area opened fire, and the bullets sunk into Kimblee's skin. He hissed in pain, but with each bullet that entered, another was pushed out, and they never broke skin. He waded through the fire like water, until he reached one of the Deikli. He towered over it, and with a single slash, its neck was torn open and he had a gun. He turned, pointing the barrel of the gun right at a Deikli's head before squeezing the trigger. He couldn't hear the gun fire, or at least, he couldn't distinguish his gunfire from the Deikli. He continued to pick them off, remaining mostly unharmed by the hail of little metal cones. At last, he was left mostly alone in the courtyard, with almost fifty bodies littered about the area. He opened his left hand, and a blueish mist was blown away in the wind. The spell wore off, just as a heavy bullet entered his shoulder. Kimblee snarled, being knocked back by the impact. It must have been fired from a sniper rifle. He gasped in agony, newly reformed tissue in his abdomen tender. He felt like he'd been impaled all over again, but he stood up anyway, his eyes able to pick out the sniper as he held the rifle up and fired a single shot. Through the scope, he could see a red mist spray from the Deikli's forehead.

He continued on, fighting his way to the armory as he used up more and more of the mana crystals. He'd always heard that Basitin shouldn't use magic, but so far, it had no ill effects on him. Sure, sometimes he saw his wife and daughter standing in front of his foes, but they dissapated as soon as you shot through them. They weren't real. It didn't matter, now, anyway. As long as he could get to that bomb, he could destroy them all. As he burst through the doors and into the room of guns and bullets, he saw it. The briefcase. His briefcase. He dropped his rifle, heading over to it. He extended his hand, and he found that that the briefcase was, indeed, real. He picked it up, and opened it. Inside..

It glowed black. Something he'd only seen once before, when he first prepared it. He took the crystal in his hands, and he could feel it leeching off of him. He had to be quick now. He had to detonate it.

Kyoden soared through the air, and he could see the road that led to his house. He flew over it, and, in the distance, he spotted the chasm. They'd.. of course they had. What could he have expected? He touched down onto the scorched field, young grass poking up between his toes. They'd burned the whole area. Clear-cut, too. He could see charred stumps, burnt to a crisp. He suspected they'd crumble if you so much as stepped near them. His house was gone. Where he thought it'd been was black dirt, blacker than the rest of the soil in the area. It was most likely mixed with soot from his old home. He stood in the center of the circle of blackness, unsure of what to do. He turned back to the rest of the city, which had been converted into one big military base. His father was in one of those compounds, doing everything he could to bring this hell to an end. It didn't take long before the ground shook, and the light in the are began to fade. Kyoden blinked, unsure of what was happening. He focused on the center of the sudden dark, before realizing that it was expanding. It.. was an explosion! He felt a powerful gust of wind, and he was knocked to the ground. Sure is. He found it hard to breath, what with all the air being forced away. The cloud of black desolation was nearing him. He knew that he'd have to leave if he wanted to, but..

Did he want to?

A loud flapping of wings awoke him from his dark thoughts. His thoughts went first to his mother, but he quickly dismissed them as Lady Nora landed at his side.

<Come on!> she cried into his mind. He nodded. He wasn't nearly as fast as a dragon. He may be able to fly, but Nora had been in the air for more than half of her long, long life. At this point, only she could fly fast enough to escape the incoming event horizon. He leapt upward, landing on her back with a thump. Shifting, he straddled her spine, holding on tight. She gave a nod before rising into the air with powerful beats of her wings. The ground fell away faster than Kyoden had ever seen, faster than even his mother could have flown. Soon, Nora straightened out, extending her wings.

<Kyoden,> she began, looking back at him. <Where's your father?> Her voice resounded in his head, and he could easily tell that she was worried for him. He shook his head, remaining silent. Nora huffed, baring her teeth as she turned back to face forward. Kyoden shifted, looking back down at the devastation his father had undoubtedly cause. The place was gone. Lyn'Knoll was but a crater, and the crevice leading below the world had been destroyed. Kimblee had done it. Kimblee had ended the war.
Certified Jojo fan

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#60 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Well, that's that. I was considering an epilogue, but I don't think it's necessary. I had fun, writing this story, and I hope a good number of you enjoyed it, too. Keep an ear out if you're interested in more from me. There just might be a sequel.
Certified Jojo fan