The Adventures of Drustin Fleck

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#1 Post by Nuff »

Been trying to write something recently, just to get into a more conventinal writing kind of mood, I mostly only write script these days. Anyway, I don't know where this is going or anything, I'm just winging it but I hope you can enjoy what I've got so far.

---
Drustin winced as chunk of his rapidly reducing cover was blown away by yet another extravagantly over the top fire ball. Pieces of white hot stone rained down on him and seared his fur. What on earth had he done to deserve an end like this? He thought about that question for a few seconds. Oh right. Plenty of things.

“Can’t we just talk this over? Possibly over a cup of tea. Maybe a croissant?” the shabby grey wolf called over the wall. Perhaps he could defuse this situation before it worsened. He dared to peer over his crumbling barricade.

“TEA!?!” wailed his insane attacker as she flung another miniature sun in his direction. Drustin ducked just in time to avoid the worst of a searing blast of heat that set his whiskers on fire.

“Coffee?”

Another fireball. A large lump of the broken chimney stack he’d been using for protection turned molten and slumped to the ground with a slop. Drustin wailed. He tried in vain to hide behind the one solitary brick that hadn’t been reduced to it’s base components but even with all his wishful thinking he knew deep down this was it.

Putting his hands up in surrender he stepped out into the open. He tried to look as dignified as he could, which as it turns out is incredibly difficult to do with a tail between your legs and big puffy tear filled eyes. His assailant approached and readied another fireball. Drustin squeezed his eyes tight shut and waited.

He felt a faint spray, a drizzle of warm wash over his face. It was pleasant. Was this death? It wasn’t so bad.

“What are you smiling about?”

An odd question. He opened one of his eyes, squinting hard. The mage, now sporting a grievous looking chest wound, lay on the ground in a quickly forming pool of blood. An angry feline stood over her, weapon still smoking.

“Cello, you’re alive?” He said sounding surprised. That was a mistake. She was glaring now.

“No thanks to you” She growled, kicking out at the twitching corpse at her feet. Cello was a feisty creature with a heritage of nobility. Her tanned fur was etched with a crisscrossing of jagged white marks, their pattern was irregular giving her the look of battle scarred warrior.

She blew a strand of mousy brown hair out of her face and fiddled with her firearm. With a flick of a valve-switch her weapons hissed, releasing jets of steam along it’s barrel and discharging a coolant canister onto the ground.

Drustin flinched. He hated it when that thing did that. In fact he hated it when it did anything. The god awful contraption was what they called a mana-lock pistol, a device that fired raw chunks of magical energy. It was an ugly thing designed to be used by those not well versed in wielding destructive magic in the more traditional sense but still had the desire to use it to blow holes in things.

“You left me!” Cello snapped. She violently jammed another canister into her weapon. It hissed again and the locking mechanism engaged.

“Not strictly true” Drustin urged nervously as he wiped bits of mage from his face with his sleeve. “I was simply drawing the mage away. Taking her out of the equation as it were. You’re a big girl you can look after yourself and a few roughians never seemed to slow you down before”

Cello warmed, allowing herself a mischievous smirk. It amused her whenever Drustin spoke prim and proper. His lower cast accent always made it seem a little comical.

“Drust, just do what I brought you here to do” she said aiming a curt nod to the mage’s body.

“I was hoping you’d forgotten about that” Drustin said forcing a timid smile. “You see, when the subject is dead it complicates things. I feel and sometimes relive their last moments and this did not look like a particularly pleasant way to go”

Cello looked, quite frankly, utterly unconvinced “Just do it” she said sternly.

Drustin swallowed hard. “You don’t understand-”

“No I don’t. I don’t understand it at all and in all honesty I don’t care. What you need to understand is that the sole purpose of you being here is because I need your gift. Now use it”

Gift? Drustin hated that word. Gifts were something given, not something thrust upon you. Something that you could choose to accept or not, to embrace or to disregard. This was no gift. This was a plague upon his person, a curse he was forced into using for the greater good. Come to think of it he hated the greater good too.

“I‘d really rather not” Drustin frowned.

“She‘s our only lead!”

“Then you probably shouldn’t have shot her!”

Drustin spotted a ripple of rage run through his feline companion and instantly regretted what seemed moments ago to have been a rather witty retort.

“If you don’t do your job right now I am going to pick you up and throw you off this roof” Cello growled through gritted teeth. It was a compelling argument and one Drustin found difficult to counter.

“Well, as you asked so nicely…” the wolf said with a roll of his eyes.

Kneeling down by the corpse, Drustin began to examine her. The mage was a mess and not just because of the still smoking wound Cello’s mana-lock pistol had opened up. She was unkempt, dirty and her robes had seen far better days. Reluctantly he took her cold dead hand in his, closed his eyes and opened his mind to the flood.

Chaosye
Grand Templar

Re: The Adventures of Drustin Fleck

#2 Post by Chaosye »

Heh, I like it! Save for a few grammatical and spelling errors, it has excellent flow. The descriptions are great and I like those little cut-aways with Drustin's thoughts.

I'd like to mention, don't forget about the punctuation inside the quotes. You're missing a lot of commas and periods in there.

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#3 Post by Nuff »

Ah grammar, my sworn enemy. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment Chaosye ^_^

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#4 Post by anonfox123 »

Hmm... Interesting, good hook to the rest of the story... Although I am alarmed at the way that the weapons seen here seem to resemble some concepts that will soon feature in my own writing. (see sig)

Ah well... I guess great minds think alike! :P
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#5 Post by Nuff »

Thank you for reading. I dont think you should worry yourself about being alarmed, it's not as though steam punk/magic punk combinations are that new of a concept.

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#6 Post by Nuff »

I wrote a bit more :D

---

Drustin groaned as he sipped black tar coffee from a tiny thimblesque cup. With bloodshot eyes he glanced across the table at Cello as she enjoyed a ridiculously oversized mug of heated white chocolate, he could hear her softly purring as it warmed her insides. Unsatisfied with her response the wolf groaned again, loudly and with as many theatrics as he could muster.

“We get it. You are in pain. No need to make a scene” She said softly without breaking the loving gaze she and her drink were sharing.

“No need to make a…” Drustin trailed off, unable to stem his disbelief. “I almost died! I felt deaths grip around my throat! My heart stopped, Cello, it stopped!”

“You’re making a scene”

Drustin looked around, he had indeed caused a stir. Everyone at the café was now staring at him, the soft hubbub of chatter had faded away and only silence and the sound of Cello’s surprisingly noisy drinking prevailed. It was in that moment that he was reminded that he really hated being the centre of attention.

“Don’t mind me!” he snapped at the crowd waving away their sudden interest. He sank into his seat and let the soft cushions engulf him, waiting for the disapproving eyes of the onlookers to return to their own tables and their own problems. Eventually they began to once it was clear that the show was over. Just when he thought it was over a young feline waiter came by the table. He looked prim and proper with his faultless attire and his sleek black hair. Drustin took an instant dislike to him, he reeked of pomposity.

He noted the young lads posture, he held a drinks menu like a shield and had made sure to stand by Cello’s side of the table, as far away from the wolf as he could manage. Drustin got the distinct impression that people like him were not the patronage this stuck up little café was used to having and by ‘like him’ of course Drustin meant lower caste.

“Is everything okay madam? “ The waiter asked

“It’s fine” Drustin said bluntly. He then ushered for the little waiter to leave. Instead the feline just stared at him for a moment.

“I was speaking to the lady”

“and I was answering for the both of us. So piss off”

The waiter all but gasped and almost dropped his shield menu, stuttering to get his words out.

“I-I beg your pardon?!” he said an octave higher than he’d probably intended.

“Drust. That wasn’t polite” Cello said, finally giving Drustin the courtesy of eye contact. Oh good, he was finally more interesting than her drink.

The waiter seemed to regain his composure once Cello had chimed in. Feeling her support in his corner he straightened himself up and raised his nose up in contempt at the scruffy wolf staring him down.

“I do apologise” Drustin said doing his best to imitate the waiter’s upper caste accent. “piss of, please”

Any illusion the waiter once had of Cello being a lady of distinction ready to reign in this lower caste scruff bag was shattered by the shriek of her laughter. He turned to her with a look on confusion and utter disgust before scuttling off back to his colleagues with his tail firmly between his legs.

Drustin watched Cello from across the table as she desperately tried to muffle the sounds of her laughter with her paws. He took a sip of his tiny drink, finishing it off, and watched their waiter in the distance as spoke to his superior and pointed towards their table. He wasn’t a lip reader but Drustin could tell by the dirty looks that they were about to be ejected.

“I think we should go” he said.

Cello just nodded, afraid that perhaps if she opened her mouth to speak that a laugh might escape. She pulled some coins from her pocket and scattered them on the table, tipping generously. The two of them then made their escape, quickstepping their out the door and into the streets of the promenade.

It was mid morning and the streets were already beginning to swarm with young ladies wearing the finest summer wear, chatting over brunch about who they were inviting to their next ball. Children out with their nannies for a nice walk screamed and chased one another around in circles, ignoring desperate pleas for them to behave. The birds were singing and the sun was shining without a single cloud in the sky. By all accounts tt would have been a lovely day if the bright sunlight wasn’t burning Drustin’s eye sockets empty and the noise wasn’t causing the throbbing in his head to flare out of control.

“I can’t take you anywhere” Cello said with a smirk and a shake of her head.

“Yes well wherever you choose to take me next can it be somewhere quieter and with a lot less bright” Drustin said wincing.

Cello led him down the next alleyway they came across. The high rise residential buildings shaded them from the sun and as they broke off from the promenade they noise began to fade into the background. Either side of them were homes, small and discreet but highly desirable to due their coastal location they stacked 5 stories high. Each home had a window box, the closest to a garden they were ever going to get. Cello looked up and watched the silhouettes of needle birds as they flew between the window boxes eager to get at the nectar the flowers provided.

“Better?” She asked.

“Quite” Drustin replied with a quite evident sigh of relief.

“Good. Then you can tell me what you found out”

Drustin’s second sigh was one less of relief and more of begrudging realisation that whatever pleasantries there had been were over and it was back to business.