The Art of War: Epilogue – Funeral Rites [COMPLETE]

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Theriisingsun
Merchant

Re: The Art of War: Chapter 21 – A Shadow Tithe

#106 Post by Theriisingsun »

Thallium wrote:
Theriisingsun wrote:quite a nice story you've got running here
Why thank you, I'm honoured that you created that account just to leave a comment here. Means a lot.
well actually i'm just new to the comic and forums (like that wasn't obvious enough :P ) and happened to come across your story, there isn't really much going on around the forums but your story caught my attention and it is a good story, although it is hard to picture certain things and you can easily get lost but who am i to say, i couldn't make anything even a third as decent :P waiting for the next update :mrgreen:

Thallium
Templar

Re: The Art of War: Chapter 21 – A Shadow Tithe

#107 Post by Thallium »

Theriisingsun wrote:
Thallium wrote:
Theriisingsun wrote:quite a nice story you've got running here
Why thank you, I'm honoured that you created that account just to leave a comment here. Means a lot.
well actually i'm just new to the comic and forums (like that wasn't obvious enough :P ) and happened to come across your story, there isn't really much going on around the forums but your story caught my attention and it is a good story, although it is hard to picture certain things and you can easily get lost but who am i to say, i couldn't make anything even a third as decent :P waiting for the next update :mrgreen:
Considering how often I've got lost while writing the bloody thing I'm quite frankly amazed that anyone can understand what's going on. I both love and hate this story: love because it's the first thing I've ever written outside of creative writing classes and hate because now looking back I can see how god awfull it sometimes is. If you notice a few chapters ago there is a gap of about a year between the posts. That was the time where the whole thing became such a mess that I virtually gave up on the whole project.

But I decided I couldent leave it unfinished and so I came back and reworked it. After this is finally over there will be more in the future (eventually...) and I can promise that that will be far far better written then this.
Image Image

What I cannot create, I do not understand.
The imagination of nature is far, far greater than the imagination of man.

Thallium
Templar

Re: The Art of War: Chapter 22 – Down in the Bonehoard

#108 Post by Thallium »

Welcome to the first part of the last chapter of the story! This chapter also marks the point at which we pass the 100k word count so I guess that's also something to be happy about :grin:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 23 – From Cradle to Grave: Part 1

The room was swirling round in a lethargic vortex, the colours constantly shifting their hues through every wavelength in the visible spectrum. Every now and then Keith thought he could see faces peering out of the mist but every time he reached out for them they disappeared, dissolving beneath his fingertips like a sentient fog. Eventually he started to hear voices as well. They were faint at first, mere whispers that echoed around the great nothingness in which he found himself floating but after a time they grew louder and their tones became more insistent.
“What do you want?” he croaked through cracked lips and a dry throat. The whispers continued on, still incoherent but coming ever closer as the faces continued to loom out of the vortex.
“Who are you? What do you want with me?”
Still no answer.

Suddenly the colours dissipated, churning away into a singularity until they were gone and all that was left behind was a kind of shadowy grey. It was like he was standing at the centre of a great vaporous storm cloud on the very edge of the world. In an instant the whispering stopped too and yet the sudden silence which replaced it seemed deafening to the Basitin’s attuned and highly sensitive ears.

Then, from out of nowhere, a shape appeared amongst the gloomy clouds. It was indistinct at first like everything else in that Masks-forsaken place but as it moved close it gradually came into focus, growing a head, torso and limbs from its globular form.
“You there!” called out the former general, “Who are you? What is this place?”
The figure took no notice of his cries and continued onwards, advancing on him out of the mist at a steady pace that betrayed nothing of its intentions. Abruptly the mist-thing stopped and turned its head slightly so that it was staring right at Keiser, though no eyes were visible on its blank, expressionless face. The whole creature seemed to lack detail in fact, like a plastic shop mannequin that had not yet been dressed up in this season’s range of ostentatious outfits.
And yet all the same Keith could feel it watching him.

“Please don’t hurt me,” came a child-like voice from out of thin air. “I don’t want to go back there, it’s scary and the doctors aren’t nice to me.”
Keith was non-plussed by this strange statement and tried to call out again, only to find that no sound emerged from his throat. He tried again, putting more force into it this time and yet still he ended up with the same result. He was mute.

The mannequin turned its head again and started walking off into the distance, its form starting to fade into one mass again. Keith started after it, desperate to catch it before it was lost entirely but to his horror he found that he was routed to the spot, unable to move despite no apparent constrictions around his limbs.
“Can anyone hear me?” asked the child’s voice again, growing fainter by the second. “They’re horrible to me there. The other children are all mean and the patients smell funny and talk in strange voices. I don’t like it in there; I don’t want to go back, I don’t…”
But the voice was gone, lost in the mist along with the strange grey figure as if they had never existed at all.

As soon as the shadow disappeared, so the world started to as well. The grey storm cloud started to collapse in on itself, the grey turning black and draining out of existence as Keith looked on helplessly. In a few seconds the only colour left was black and in an instant that too disappeared leaving an empty void of nothingness in its wake. For a moment the Basitin hung there, suspended as if in zero gravity before even that gave way and he was falling, falling down into the nothingness, a silent scream escaping his lips.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was sometime later that he mercifully awoke. At least it seemed like a long time to his addled mind. Like a good soldier, the first thing Keiser did upon opening his eyes was to take stock of his surroundings and determine a strategy. The first part was easy: stone walls made of grey, rough-hewn blocks with a single light bulb recessed into the ceiling and a metal door with a grate in the top and a large letter-box-like aperture in the bottom. It could only be a prison cell. Keith smacked his fist against the uneven wall hard enough to draw blood. Dammit! Alabaster must have done something to him; he remembered feeling woozy and then blacking out but he couldn’t remember what had caused it. It had to be some trick. Lowering his bloody hand from the wall Keith sighed; well it didn’t matter anymore, Alabaster had out-smarted him and his mission had been a failure. Briefly the former General wondered what had become of Hawk but in his heart of hearts he already knew the answer. He could only imagine the reason he was still alive was because Alabaster still had some game he wanted to play with him. Hawk on the other hand…
He shook his head. There was no point on dwelling on that anymore; he now had to set his sights on the second part: compiling a strategy.

The cell itself contained an iron bracket set into one wall but through some ill-conceived charity he found that it was empty of chains, leaving him free to move around his small 9x9 space as he pleased. This is what he did now, searching every inch of the dingy little room with a questing eye, seeking out anything that might possibly aid him in an escape. The search proved fruitless however as the walls were solid and unmovable, the bracket was securely bolted and the door could not have been more than a few years old. All he got for his troubles were some metal splinters and another fistful of blood. After a few minutes he resigned himself to having to wait for his opponent to make the first move and sank back into his original position by the wall. It was strange, despite how ludicrous it seemed he was sure that he recognised this place from somewhere, as bare and unremarkable as it was. Somewhere in the back of his mind a memory half surfaced but it was quashed again almost at once before he could draw it to the forefront of his consciousness. After that it was almost instantly forgotten except for a small niggling feeling in the back of his brain that persisted for some minutes afterwards.

Keith had to wait for what must surely have been an eternity in that gloomy darkness before he heard a single sound from outside. It started as nothing in particular; just a creaking sound that could have been the earth above settling but gradually it grew into a regular pattern. Footsteps. And they were coming closer.

Keith quickly lay down on his side, his left arm covering his face so that one eye just peaked out, enough to observe the door and whoever might soon be coming through it. It was a long shot but if he could fool them into coming close by pretending to still be out cold he might have a shot of escape. The creaking footsteps continued on, gradually getting louder and louder until they emanated from right outside his cell where they stopped. A deathly silence fell once more.
Then…

“Lights out everyone! Get into bed quick now or there won’t be any breakfast tomorrow; chop-chop!”
Keith’s brain was about to make a comment on how very strange those words were when the sound of a key turning in a lock could be heard and his body told the brain to shut up and lie still. This had to work.
The door opened with a creak and a shaft of pure white light fell upon his dirty cell, revealing a young woman in the white and blue uniform of a nurse standing in the opening. Again his brain tried to make a comment on this but once again the body overruled it and he continued to lie as still as a dead man, waiting for his moment to strike. He did not have to wait for long.

“Oh you silly thing you, what are you doing on the floor? You have a bed for a reason you know. Come now; let’s get you nice and comfy.”
The woman glided over on dainty feet and reached out an arm towards Keith’s prone form. Like a viper he struck, grasping her hand in his own and pulling downwards, sending her sprawling with gasp upon the hard stone floor. In a heartbeat he was on top of her and in another he had snapped her neck with one clean movement that came to him with practised ease. Only once the deed was done did his brain finally manage to fight through his body’s barricade and warn him that something was most definitely not right here. Why would Alabaster hire a nurse in the middle of the frozen Antarctic? And why was this scene all so very familiar to him?

He was still pondering these questions as he got back to his paws and made for the now open cell door, poking his head round the corner just enough to make sure there was no one there before stepping out into the corridor beyond. He was still mostly clad in his cold-weather underclothes as he padded silently down the corridor in booted paws, pausing every few meters to listen to the sounds around him and determine if he was still alone or not. Set into the walls on either side of the corridor were doors identical to the one he had just emerged from, however these had their shutters pulled across so he could not see into them. A cursory listen to their metal surfaces with his highly attuned ears revealed no sounds either. It looked as though he was alone down here. He would have to go further afield if he was going to find his compatriot.

The stony corridor continued on for about thirty meters before it took an abrupt dog-leg to the left and ended in a door of iron bars that were rusted with age. Beyond was almost total darkness but Keith could see that the passage beyond widened to what might be called a room. There were no signs of life here either and to make matters even more unusual the bar door was unlocked. Once again he couldn’t get rid of the feeling that something was very wrong here, he just couldn’t see what it was.
A small push on the bars caused the door to yield, swinging open with an ominous creaking sound that set the Basitin’s teeth on edge and made him freeze for a few seconds, positive that someone must surely have heard it. And yet after the longest half-minute of his life he still heard no sound expect the frantic beating of his own heart and careful breathing. Deciding that the coast was as clear as it was going to be, the former general stepped through the iron portal and into the oppressive and all-encompassing darkness beyond with a silent prayer to the Masks on his lips.

As his eyes adjusted to the darkness the atmosphere of his surroundings turned from black as night to a sort of gloomy twilight with a hint of some red light further up ahead. Metal tables and chairs littered the floor space and one end was taken by various stainless-steel workbenches: a mess hall. As he padded closer and closer, he saw that the red hue was thrown off by a small lamp set above a large sign; big black letters on light coloured wood. At first he couldn’t tell what the words were as they appeared to be written in a strange script that was unknown to him; barely even human by the looks of it. But then, as he stared at it for longer, the black lines began to gradually move around, slowly rearranging themselves into recognisable forms: a W here and an L there until at last human words were formed.
And what they said sent the fear of the gods into him.

“No…” he choked out, falling to his knees as the words rushed over him.
'Bolshov Ward', they read.
They memories flooded back into his mind like a tidal wave, knocking the air from his lungs and causing him to gasp for breath like a runner at the end of a marathon. It just couldn’t be. Not here, not now.
But the sign said that it was.

He had watched as the Cradle had burned to the ground all those countless years ago. Watched as it turned from a place that teemed with wretched life to a blackened shell that housed only ghosts and bad dreams. And yet here he was again, staring at his torment once more. That, he realised, was why everything had seemed so oddly familiar. The cell, the nurse, all of it. He had spent years of his life here in these dank corridors, filled only with madness and despair. And the frightened laughs of children trying to play in the gloom. Now that he looked around again, he could see that the walls were blackened by soot and the whole place smelled of smoke and burnt meat. How was this possible? How was he back again?

“Excuse me Mr; can you help me find someone? Everyone’s disappeared and I don’t know where they’ve gone.”
Keith whirled around at the sound of the voice and beheld a small girl of around eight or nine standing not three feet away from him. She wore ragged, dirty clothes and her face was smeared with grime as well as what looked like blood. What she wore on her feet might once have been called shoes but now were little more than scraps of leather tied together with string and she clutched an equally torn and ragged teddy bear under one pale, impossible thin arm.
“Can you please help me? I don’t like it here; the doctors are mean and the other patients call me names. But they’re all gone now and we’re the only ones left. Can you help me find the others? The other children I mean?”

Keith didn’t know want to say. His muzzle opened and closed but no sound emerged from it.
He recognised this girl.
She had been one of the children, orphans of the Cradle, unwanted by society and so left to rot within the haunted walls just like the patients were. They had better lives of course, barely, but at least they weren’t experimented on like the inmates had been. Like he had been. He remembered her face now if not her name. While most of the children looked at him and his fellows with fear and anxiety, he remembered that her face had been pity, like she knew of the horrors that were committed within the Bolshov Ward’s confines. No matter who she was though she did nothing to make the situation any less horrific.

She was still gazing up at him with wide, innocent eyes when he finally managed to find his tongue.
“Who are you, girl? What are we doing here?”
She cast her eyes down and shook her head in the way a child does when they know they’ve done something wrong.
“I’m not sure. All I remember is screaming and this thick black smoke. We were in the Nursery Tower when it started, all tucked up in bed. Suddenly we heard shouting and some of the staff and doctors burst into our room. They said that someone had set a fire, that there were people downstairs dead. They said… they said that you were killing people…”
She reached up an arm and rested it on his chest, over his heart and smiled, “But I knew you’d never do anything like that. The staff lied to us all the time before. I knew that you couldn’t hurt us.”

Keith couldn’t describe in words what he felt at that single moment in time. Was it self-pity? Regret? Sadness? He couldn’t say.
It must be a dream he thought at last. None of this was real. Alabaster must have knocked him out somehow and this was just a dream, his own mind showing him illusions and phantoms. And yet… it was so real.
He had had lucid dreams before but none had been anything like as vivid and real as this was. He had once slept for three days straight when doped up on a morphine drip and had spent the entire time walking through a dream-land. But that had been fuzzy round the edges, he remembered and when he touched things they had felt wrong somehow. Now when he reached out his hand to touch the wall, all he felt was cold stone, as real as if it was really there. He shook his head; dream or not he had to find a way out and return to the real world.

He placed his own hand over the girl’s and knelt down so their faces were at eye level.
“Of course they lied. I would never do anything like that. We were locked up remember? It must have been one of the nurses or doctors who started the fire.”
He stood up again and looked around at the soot blackened walls and metal tables and chairs that showed signs of intense heat expansion.
“But tell me…” he paused with a questioning look on his face.
“Elizabeth,” the girl replied.
“Elizabeth… tell me, how are we here? What happened? I remember the Cradle burning but after that...”
He pointed at the soot streaked walls, “How are we back here? It’s been so long.”

Elizabeth shook her head, “I don’t know,” she replied, “I just woke up here like I’d been dreaming in the Nursery Tower and everything was like this.”
She looked around at her surroundings, her eyes wide. “I’ve never been to this part of the building before though.”
Inwardly Keith grimaced. Of course she hadn’t, no child had been allowed anywhere near the Ward or the treatment rooms after the… incident with one of the patients several years before. A young boy and been playing alone near the Heat Therapy chamber when one of the inmates must have found him. Schizo had been in his cell at the time so he didn’t know who it was that had taken the dinner knife to the boy… but in the end it didn’t really matter who it had been or how it had happened. All that mattered was that the boy’s severed head had been found mounted atop one of the gargoyles that ringed the exercise yard and his body wrapped up in swaddling in the morgue.

Schizo was a new inmate back then, only a few weeks in and so he hadn’t recognised the voice of the man who had been dragged away kicking and screaming and protesting his innocence. But he didn’t need to recognise him to know he was a patient. The men traipsing back and forth between the cell two to his left and the kitchens with buckets and mops was all the conformation he needed.

After that, things had been much stricter. Exercise times were halved and the guard doubled. Each patient was now escorted by a warden as well as two doctors wherever they went and the children had been confined to the Nursery Tower at all times when treatment was being carried out. All of this hadn’t saved the place of course; it was doomed from the moment Jason had started whispering into his ear.

Keith turned away, his mental gears turning as he tried to figure out what to do next. The Cradle had been in the north of the former USSR and he had no doubt that all records of its existence would have been expunged after the fire. There was no possible way that he was actually here of course, the girl confirmed that much at least, yet still he felt uneasy. He found that he could usually wake himself up from dreams but yet no matter how hard he tried concentrating, his mind remained locked within the blackened walls of the place that most haunted him. Even more so than…
“The bridge to the castle?” replied a familiar voice behind him.
Image Image

Thallium
Templar

Re: The Art of War: Chapter 23 – From Cradle to Grave: Part

#109 Post by Thallium »

The second part of the last chapter. This is another one of those that I've been wanting to write since I first started this project almost two years ago now. Its been a long wait but I think its been worth it. As a side note, the completed chapter will be longer then 'Wolverines!' which makes it the longest chapter in the book. I thought it appropriate to finish with a grand finale 8)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 23 – From Cradle to Grave: Part 2

The former general froze solid as ice, his heart suddenly beating so loudly he could hear its echo reverberating around the room. One ear twitched towards the sound and very slowly he turned his head, his brain not willing to accept what his ears had heard.
And yet there he stood.
Keith’s eyes were wide, his mouth moving but no words escaping his lungs despite his best efforts. Opposite him, the little girl Elizabeth was gone; her small form replaced by one much larger and very much more familiar to the man who had once led the destiny of an entire nation.
It was his predecessor.
“Alaric…” it couldn’t be, he had never dreamed of his friend before. Not in a nightmare remembering his demise nor a happy dream remembering the times they had spent together as children. Nothing. But yet here he was, standing within the dead halls of his torment, plain as day.

“This can’t be… it’s not real…”
The Basitin opposite gave a chuckle, “Oh? And why not? Don’t you want this to be real?”
Keith had no response, his voice still lost to him, his mind still in shock. The phantom of his friend was dressed exactly as he had when last they had seen each other: cloth surcoat and leather gloves with his cloak draped around his shoulders and fastened with a silver clasp. He wore his Burrick on his left hip and that familiar cheeky grin on his face that was not quite a smile and not quite a laugh. It was like Keith was being transported back in the past by 75 years, back to a better time before all the talk of Templar and war began.

The grin had grown wider.
“Well old friend, what do you think of this establishment? No quite as cosy as the castle but I suppose it’s better than some of the inns you stayed in on your travels I’d wager.”
Keith was looking hard at his friend, trying to see the blurry lines or lack of detail that normally accompanied dream images. But once again he couldn’t find it.
“Alaric…” Keith chose his next words carefully, “what are you? This is a dream but why would I dream of you here? This all seems so real… what’s going on?”
He watched for any change in Alaric’s expression, but what came was not what he expected. The man laughed.
“Ha-ha! Come on General Keiser! Think about it, you’ve already asked all the right questions, you just need to put it…”
Alaric’s form shimmered for a moment and changed very slightly. With a look of horror, Keith gasped as he recognised this new person. Someone he had hoped to never see again. “…together.” finished Jason Wight.

It was all too much. Keith staggered slightly and had to grasp the wall for support, looking on in disbelief at the Basitin standing in front of him. At first glance it was still his oldest friend positioned before him, yet upon closer inspection there were slight but noticeable differences. The eyes had changed colour from grey to gold and his fur had become a lighter shade while a faint scar had appeared on his right ear. The Basitin still had the scar Alaric had won the day of Keith’s banishment however and many other things about his face were the same; nevertheless what had changed was just as noticeable. Especially to Keith considering he saw them most every day in the mirror.
Jason Wight was an abhorrent, twisted amalgamation of the both of them.

Jason grinned in a mocking taunt of the way Alaric used to smile, “Don’t you get it now you fool? This is no dream, no guilt-induced nightmare. This is reality, as real as it was the last time you were here! Look around you…” he gestured to the black walls, “can’t you smell the soot, the burning? Didn’t you recognise the nurse who came into your cell? And what about poor little Elisabeth,”
His form briefly flickered into hers before the monster was back again, “don’t you remember her too?”
To Keith’s disgust, he realised why the voice emanating from the creature before him seemed so strange, almost like it was two voices speaking in sync. Just like the Basitin’s appearance, his voice was a mocking combination of his two fathers, combing the tones of both of them into a horrific and nightmarish rasp.
Jason walked over to one of the heat-warped metal chairs, dragged it out from the table and sat down in a slouch. He drummed his fingers on its metal surface and one paw on the ground, “Well, Keiser, what do you think now? It’s all too real to be fake so what does that leave us with hmm?”
Keith could not accept it, would not accept it… yet it made sense.
“B-but…” he stammered, “if this is reality then…”
Jason’s smile turned into a wicked harlequin’s leer, “Then that means that none of this was ever real in the first place.”

Jason dissolved and Elizabeth stood before him once more, “We were never here. You were never here.” In an instant she was gone to be replaced by Alaric, “Didn’t you think it strange that you got out and never heard mention of this place even after the Iron Curtain fell? It never existed Keith. It was all just an illusion.” A shimmer and finally it was himself, stood resplendent in his general’s armour, that took Alaric’s place. “This building, the people in it and what happened to them… it was all a conjuration of your own twisted mind. You spent years in here, locked away from the world; but it was never a physical prison that contained you, Keith. It was your own hate and self-loathing that kept you here, nothing more. After the evacuation you couldn’t take it anymore and so you barred yourself within the Cradle and threw away the key. You only set yourself loose when you gave up who you once were and became him.” General Keiser pointed over across the room and when Keith looked he saw Jason sitting in another warped metal chair, waving and with that same leering smile on his lips.
“And now that you’ve become yourself again and rejected me… you’ve started sliding back again. All it took was a little magical shock from our good friend Alabaster and you sent yourself right back into the Cradle’s loving embrace.”
Jason propped his paws on the table and shrugged, “Face it buddy, you’re crazy!”
General Keiser threw Jason a dirty look, “You be quiet.” He turned his head back to Keith who had collapsed into a corner and was holding his head in his hands with a spaced look on his face, “now pull yourself together! Remember it’s you controlling this and if you don’t get a grip you’re never going to get out again.”

Keith raised his head and turned first to his doppelganger and then to his armoured clone, his eyes unseeing and unfocused.
“How could I?” his voice was totally devoid of emotion, “How can I fight against my own mind?” He knocked an unfeeling paw slowly against the cold stone wall. “How can I be free when it’s me that wants to stay trapped?” He briefly focussed red-rimmed eyes on the cold flint of the General.
“What am I supposed to do?”
For a few moments General Keiser said nothing, all the while silent tears ran down the defeated Basitins face. Then he walked forward and knelt down, cupping Keith’s chin in his armoured fingers and drawing his head up so that they looked at each other eye to eye.
“In your heart you know what needs to be done.” The General let Keith’s chin drop once more and stood in between him and the twisted form of Jason Wight.
“Get up.”
It was an order. Despite his unwillingness, Keith felt his legs unfurl involuntarily and he clambered shakily to his paws. Across the room, two pairs of golden eyes locked together in a deadly dance.

“You hated yourself after coming to Earth,” said the General, “you blamed yourself for everything, every village burnt and every life lost. You thought that if only you had been better, stronger, and wiser you could have saved them all. But there was nothing that could be done. The fate of the Basitins was sealed years before you were even born, in the time when the Templar trained their first novices. Since then it has been a timer, counting down to the moment when the dam burst and everything in the path of the water was swept away.” General Keiser stared intently at him, “It was not your fault. Had it been left to some, not a single one of us would have left the Isles alive. You know this; you fought with them for months over what should be done, Alabaster and the rest. You fought them all and triumphed and in doing so you saved the lives of hundreds of thousands that would otherwise have been lost.”
The General turned away and sighed, “And yet still you hate yourself.”

With a deliberate motion, the clone drew one of the two Burricks that rested across his back, running a claw down its length before pivoting round to face Keith once more.
“So in order to escape your own disgust, you created a new person, someone you admired and aspired to be like ever since you were a child.”
“Me,” said Nickolai Alaric, who came out of nowhere and stood by the General. “You looked up to me as a brother even though we weren’t related. You had other friends but I was the only one you ever felt true friendship towards. For years you idolized me and when we were split apart it created a hole that was never quite filled again. So when, in your despair, you needed to be someone else you chose me as your replacement.”
Nickolai pointed over to where Jason Wight was still sitting with that horrible parody of a grin on his face, “But as you can see, one can never truly eliminate oneself from our own personalities. No matter how much we try, there’s always some of `us` left.”

Keith wiped his eyes on a sleeve, “So in order to be free… I need to forgive myself. To understand that I was not to blame and did all I could?”
Jason snorted, “Ha! It’s too late for that my friend. Maybe if you’d tried that decades ago it might have been enough… but you’ve spent too long believing it now to change. No matter how hard you try, they’ll always be that little thought at the back of your mind, just niggling away, slowly eating you through guilt. No. It’s far too late for that, I’m afraid.”

General Keiser nodded, “He’s right, for too long you haven’t been yourself at all, but him. Most of your life in fact. No matter how much you tell yourself you were not to blame you’ll never truly believe it because you’ll still think like him and not like you. So…” he drew the second Burrick and held them both loosely in his hands, “in order to be rid of him once and for all and to finally forgive yourself… you’ll have to kill him.”
With a clanking sound of steel on stone, he threw the Burricks down on to the floor, one at Keith’s feet and one at Jason’s.
"Remember that this is your mind we're in, not the real world. We are, all of us, creatures of the physical and so our minds are attuned to the physical too. There is no magic here, Keith, no power but your own right arm. And it with that arm that you must end him if you ever want to be free."
“Times ticking Keith,” said Alaric. “Every second you spend here, your friend Hawk gets closer to death. If you don’t do it now, it’ll be too late for the both of you. You must kill him!”

Jason hoped down from his chair and grasped the handle of the sword at his feet. With a graceful motion, we swung it up in front of his face and then down again in salute, the tip pointing straight at Keith’s heart.
“I’ve been waiting for this moment Keith Keiser. Ever since you threw me out a few weeks ago I knew I’d have to do something drastic or that body would be lost to me. Seems that now I’ll have my chance to be rid of you forever!”
Keith was slower to pick up his own blade. Instead he looked over to his armoured former self who had stepped back and was now staring at him, arms crossed over his plate cuirass.
“Is there no other way?” he asked.
General Keiser shook his helmeted head, “No. You’ve left it too long to talk him down now. He’s become too powerful; his hold on you is far too strong. If you don’t finish it now he will take control again, and this time you will never come back.”
The General looked around the dark and haunted halls, his expression unreadable behind the visored half-helm that Keith had once worn with such pride.
“And this place will become your prison. Forever.”

Keith nodded, his head heavy with the weight of the task before him. Was this really what he wanted? As Jason Wight he had been able to forget; to escape from the memories and the faces that plagued him in the night. As his projection, he had outrun all the demons that clawed at his flesh, gnawing away at his very soul every time he closed his eyes. Did he really want to become Keith Keiser again? Forever? It would be so much simpler to embrace his creation and be free…
He shook his head violently, expelling those traitorous thoughts from his head. No, he had a duty, not only to himself but to all those he had once tried and failed to save. He looked across to Alaric; that one rock that had kept him going through all his years in exile. Alaric’s face was one of desperation; he was willing him to fight, to kill the horrific amalgamation that his friend’s twisted mind had turned him into. This was as much about setting him free as it was about Keith himself.

Seeing that look and understanding what it meant put new resolve in the former general’s heart and with a low growl he bent and picked up his blade. Like his opponent, he too saluted but not to his adversary. Instead, it was for Alaric that he showed his honours, swinging the cold steel up and around in a smooth arc before pointing the tip across at his creation.
He was ready.
Jason Wight let out a soft laugh, “I’m taking that body back Keiser! I’ve had you too long to give up now.”
Keith had no fighting words; he had no need of them. His resolve was painted as clear upon his face as any words could convey. It was time to waltz the dance of steel.

The attack that came at him was as fast as it was furious; a whirling storm of metal that flashed in the gritty light as it scythed down in a brutal overhead slash. Keith was ready for it though and his own blade sliced up to parry the tempest, causing sparks to fly and his opponents sword to slide down his own until it met the short cross-guard above the handle with a clang. Their eyes locked briefly, the creator and the created before Jason whipped his blade free and instantly was on the offensive once more, delivering a series of vicious slashes to Keith’s head and upper body. A broken man he may be now but in his time Keith had been quite the swordsman and age did not seem to have dampened his skill at arms. He blocked each slice and thrust and riposted with his own, a flurry of blows that were traded so quickly it looked to the observer as if the two blades had become a thousand. But this was no random hacking and butchery, no flailing of two inept novices: this was a dance performed by masters and each strike, parry and riposte was a coordinated game of cat and mouse. Whoever lost the beat and fell out of step first would be the defeated with his opponent as the victor.

For several more seconds the whirlwind continued before the two suddenly broke apart, each man leaping backwards and panting hard, surveying his opponent for a sign of weakness or injury. But there was none to be seen. Despite each landing a dozen blows that would have slain a lesser swordsman, neither of the two combatants and so much as a scratch on them. It was Keith’s turn to attack now and so he did, launching himself forwards before quick-stepping to the right at the last moment, angling his blade in a wicked curving slash that was aimed to take advantage of Jason’s undefended left side. However with a grunt and a quick move of his own, Jason’s blade came singing up to meet the fresh attack, catching it just time and turning it away so that for the briefest of moments the former general’s midriff was exposed. Despite this opportunity, the doppelganger found to his annoyance that his sword had no clear route past Keith’s guard, entangled as it was with the other weapon and so he had to content himself with a hasty shove with his elbow. It wasn’t a forceful blow but it was enough to send Keith staggering back a pace, his until-now-impenetrable defence lapsing as he tried to regain his breath and balance. It was a slim chance but Jason decided it was worth the risk and so he whirled in, delivering a lightning fast thrust-slash combo that forced Keith back another pace and opened up the first wound of the battle.

The former general beat a hasty retreat, parrying another slice as he hoped back, giving himself enough time for a brief respite before the onslaught began anew. The cut Jason had inflicted was light, a superficial laceration across his chest that bled little and hurt less but it was the emotional effect that such a wound had that was the biggest problem. Now that he had scored first blood, Jason would have the psychological advantage and it would sharpen his senses even more towards the fight. Keith had to score a similar hit soon or his resolve would melt away and he would become so much dead meat waiting to be skewered.

In the few seconds he had, Keith mentally composed himself. Strategies and combat styles whirled through his head before he finally decided on a course of action: Jason was a more aggressive version of himself, well versed it both attack and defence but favouring the former more. If he could use that against his adversary, he might just have a shot at beating him. With this thought in mind, Keith crouched low as the next attack came crashing in: a low cut from right to left that no doubt was meant to gut him from hip to hip.
Instead of merely parrying the advance, he turned slightly so that his body was side on to his onrushing assailant, sword arm outstretched and left hand poised and ready to strike. As the slash came in he struck the blade with an Attaque au Fer, smashing his own sword into Jason’s and knocking the incoming strike completely off course. The heavy impact jarred his shoulder but he was prepared for it while Jason was not. Through the sudden movement, Keith managed to keep his composure and his guard up while his enemy’s was briefly shattered as the shock waves travelled up the metal and into his arm. Giving Jason no time to retreat, Keith lunged forward with his offhand, slamming his fist into the abomination’s face with a satisfying crunching sound.

The blow knocked Jason from his paws and onto the flagstone floor but a lucky swipe at Keith’s legs that sent him leaping back kept him from finishing it there and then. With an agile role, Jason managed to gain his footing again and once more the two circled each other, probing at each other’s defences with invisible blades.
It wasn’t blood like Keith had hoped for but the fact that he had gotten through Jason’s guard was all the result he needed. From now on the man would be much more wary now that he knew Keith could hurt him. They were back on even ground again.

For what seemed like an eternity they circled each other, neither paying any attention to the onlookers who watched on with rapt attention. The only thing the both of them cared about was each other and how they were going to kill them.
With a guttural growl they clashed again and then again, each slicing and cutting at the other with almost identical styles, each managing to score more cuts and bruises but neither managing to find a finishing strike. For several minutes they danced around the room, trading blows and speckling the ground with drops of blood until it seemed to the General and Alaric like they weren’t even really seeing the other’s blade anymore. More like they were seeing movements and matching them thrust for stab and cleave for slash, so hypnotised they seemed by the dance of death that they were partaking in.

All that being said however, as the fight continued on it seemed like Jason Wight had the upper hand. The two Basitins were exceptionally quick and matched each other in their knowledge of their art and the skill to use a blade… but Jason just seemed to be the more aggressive of the two and it was starting to show. Both he and Keith sported cuts but those Keith had received were deeper and more numerous and he was visibly slower than when the contest had started. While before he could have easily matched any attack coming at him with time to spare, now his blade barely made it up and each attack of his own was becoming weaker and weaker.
It all ended very suddenly.

The two had locked blades and both were pushing against the other, trying to force their opponent onto the back paw and so gain the upper hand. Keith’s strength was visibly failing by this point: his arms were shaking with the effort and there was a bitter look in his eyes whereas those opposite him were full of malice. With a surge of raw power, Jason broke the hold, slamming a double-fisted punch into Keith’s chest and then following up with a titanic over-head smash with both hands gripping his sword like a vice. If Keith had been fresh he could easily have slid underneath Jason’s defence as he raised his sword for the cut and impaled him through and through. Unfortunately for him he was anything but invigorated and so all he could manage was a feeble block that barely deflected the giant swing. So great was the force behind the impact that Jason’s blade bounced right off of Keith’s own steel and gouged a bloody chunk out of his left shoulder, spraying blood and bits of flesh across the room.

Keith fell to his knees but the anathema did not relent and delivered a sickening backhand with his fist that sent the once proud Master General reeling backwards into the tables and chairs behind him, laying him flat on his back with a dazed and pained look flashing across his muzzle. In an instant, Jason had leapt on top of him, pinning his arms beneath his knees and almost casually resting the bevelled edge of his Burrick against Keith’s neck. In the commotion, Keith’s own Burrick had clattered off out of reach. He was trapped at the mercy of his enemy.

“Well my creator, any last words before I end your miserable life once and for all?” Jason raised his head and sniffed the air, savouring it with one long drag before bringing his gaze back down to rest again on Keith’s golden stare. Keith himself was surprisingly calm, or at least he thought he was for someone so close to death. He looked behind him to see the faces of the two spectators leering out at him from above. General Keiser seemed neutral but Alaric wore an expression of absolute shock and desperate terror. He knew what would happen to him if Keith lost. A calm serenity descended over Keith’s mind. For the first time in as long as he could remember, he was at peace. He felt no anger, no loneliness, no hate, just the sweet embrace of death and the harmony that brought. So this is what normal people felt like, he thought, a shame he could only experience it now. At the end of all things.

He brought his gaze from Alaric’s face to his tormentor’s and looked deep into his eyes. They were the same as his, a bright gold that was so rare amongst Basitins and yet they showed flecks of grey amongst the golden sea. Part of Alaric that Keith had granted him. Now he beheld him so close, the more of his old friend he started to see. There were the obvious things of course: the scar running down his eye, the smile and so on but now that they were face to face he saw Alaric in the shape of the jaw, the forehead, the way his eyebrows rose when he spoke. They were little things, just ghosts of the Basitin he had known and who had died in the gorge; just remnants that his own sick mind had imprinted onto this blank canvas when he had made him but they were there all the same.
When he died in the gorge…

Keith let the faintest phantom of a smile touch his lips, creasing them upwards ever so slightly as a glimmer of an idea entered his mind. With a resigned sigh, he lay back his head onto the flagstones and relaxed his neck.
“Do it you [censored],” he said in a voice that conveyed no emotion, “Be done with it all; I’ll not have you play with me like some piece of meat. Do it if you think it you will truly gain anything you twisted makurda. Hurry up!”

With a smile of triumph, Jason pressed the razor sharp edge more firmly to Keith’s pulsing jugular, savouring the vibrations as he felt each beat.
“Not what I expected,” he said, his voice dripping with malice, “though I suppose you always were the unpredictable one.”
He leaned forward.
“Yes,” rasped Keith, “I always was.”
Image Image

Thallium
Templar

Re: The Art of War: Chapter 23 – From Cradle to Grave: Part

#110 Post by Thallium »

Sorry about the delay here folks; upon review of the final chapter part before uploading I decided it needed some serious work before it was ready. Should hopefully be uploaded Friday or Sunday at the very latest.
Hope I've managed to keep you all interested so far, this last part's going to be pretty epic :)
Image Image

anonfox123
Grand Templar

Re: The Art of War: Sorry for the delay!

#111 Post by anonfox123 »

You're not the only one taking your time, don't worry. I haven't even touched my story, Rise of the Confederacy, in ages. At least you have a draft to review/post soon. (Looking forward to it, btw. The story can be confusing at times, but the writing makes it interesting enough to keep me reading)
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

Thallium
Templar

Re: The Art of War: Sorry for the delay!

#112 Post by Thallium »

Well folks, here it is. The last part of the last chapter of The Art of War and my god is it a whopper.
I'd be lying if I said that I have loved every minute of writing this; as you can tell by the post dates, there have been long periods of time where I haven't wanted to write anything at all. But saying that, the vast majority of my time spent with this story has been very positive and it has been a fantastic project to work on.

On no account do I count this as a perfect piece of work. There are many mistakes contained within these pages, most of which could have been avoided and which I intend to correct at some future date. This will not of course impact the outcome of the story, it will simply give new readers a better experience from the get go.

That of course brings me on to my final point: you guys, the readers. Without you of course I wouldn't be doing this. What started out as just a concept I threw out on here to test the waters is now sitting pretty at point of writing on 2679 page views. Not a bad little number really.
Not all uniques of course (hehe, one day perhaps) but all the same a very tidy number and one that I am very happy with.
So yes, thank you very much to all you reading this and despair not; this shall not be the last you hear of me.
Enjoy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 23 – From Cradle to Grave: Part 3

“I did a better job than I thought.”
Jason paused, the Burrick still pressed to his neck “You were a good fight but in the end you just aren’t as tough as me Keith. That’s why I deserve this body more. I’m stronger.
Keith shook his head, “I meant you, not me. I created you in the image of Nick… I think I did a better job than any of you realise. Down to the tiniest detail… the smallest flaw…”
Jason laughed, “How ironic that that would be your undoing. He was always a better warrior after all; your last battle against him was just luck.” The wight drew in a savouring breath, “But now I’m here to redress the balance.”
Keith’s expression was distant, his eyes unfocused as though he was looking straight through his killer’s body and up to the ceiling.
“Yes,” he finally said, “flaws and all.”

Jason Wight moved in for the kill. His left hand tightened around the scruff of Keith’s neck and held him in place, his right tensed, ready to draw the blade across his throat. The defeated Basitin’s eyes refocused again and watched the right hand. Jason’s hand twitched subtly, a sign that his brain was sending signals down his nerves and that it was about to move. As the razor edged blade started forward and Keith felt the sharp sting of his skin parting, he moved, tucking his head down to his chest and kicking upward with his knees in one swift motion. With a startled grunt, Jason lost his balance, his hands leaving Keith’s body and flying out to steady himself. With one mighty shove, the former general completed his movement, flipping his greatest enemy over his head and sending him with a mighty crash into the tangle of metal chairs behind him. Jason landed with a crunch and, before he could move to disentangle himself, Keith was up on his feet with both weapons in his hands. He leapt across the short distance and slammed a clawed paw right into the monster’s face with a savage kick, breaking his nose and sending a spray of blood into the air, driving him back against the table with his legs still trapped amongst the melted chairs.
Keith was breathing hard and bleeding from the small cut to his neck, that single movement having cost him almost all his remaining energy. Jason though was worse off, with face a ruin and his lower limbs snared, he had nowhere to go.

“How…” his face displayed a look of shock and horror. Now it was Keith’s turn to laugh,
“I told you that I replicated Alaric down to the tiniest detail… the smallest flaw… Well Alaric was always a better swordsman then me, that much is true. But he never minded his surroundings, and when things changed he was always too slow to react.” Keith looked over to where the real Nickolai Alaric was standing, his face a similar picture to Jason’s own. Clearly he didn’t quite know how the tables had been turned either.
Keith stepped in and smacked the bleeding Basitin in the face with the flat of his blade, sending more blood flying and the man’s body on to the floor where he crumpled in a heap.

Keith stood over his enemy, making sure that he was not within range of any desperate attack the Basitin might throw out as a last ditch attempt to save himself.
“That fact cost you your life on the bridge,” said Keith as the two pair of golden eyes locked together for the last time.
“And now it has stopped you from taking the killing blow. You leaned forward and I moved, yet you did nothing to stop it. You should have killed me then but instead you ignored it.” He breathed hard. “And now it has cost you everything.”

The doppelganger was about to say something more but Keith never gave him the chance to get the words out. With a brief cry of victory he lanced downwards with both weapons, impaling his monstrous creation through the chest with three feet of Basitin-wrought steel that pierced his heart and ended his mental existence in one solitary beat. The great enemy was dead. Keith had finally beaten him after all these years.

In an instant, the world started to fade; draining of colour like all the wavelengths of light were being sucked down an invisible drain. No sooner had the colour dwindled when suddenly everything went hazy, shapes and objects losing their definition and beginning to blur like someone had placed a sheet of plastic film in front of his vision. Keith felt dizzy and put a hand out to steady himself when he realised that he too was losing his definition. Everything was melting away.
The last thing he saw before the whole world went black were two faces: one with a sort of half smile and the other with a look of palpable relief where before had been sadness and shock. Keith smiled too: where one battle ends, another begins. He may have defeated his own demons but there were others lurking out there in the real world that still needed fighting. As all light faded, Keith suddenly remembered Alabaster and Hawk, battling up there in the real world as he lay down here in his memories. He couldn’t just leave, not now.
General Keith Keiser summoned his courage and looked out into the screaming abyss with determined eyes. It was time for reckoning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“More coffee sir?”
Jonathan Mercer looked up to see Martin Heft, his aide, hovering over his desk with a pot of steaming black gold. The minister considered for a moment.
“No thanks Martin, I think I’m hyped up enough for one morning. Don’t want to look too jittery for the cameras after all.”
Martin frowned, “Are you going to be announcing a date then? For the funeral I mean?”
Mercer flashed a brief glance over to today’s paper which was open on his desk at the obituaries section.
“Yes; it took a bit of wrangling but it’s finally scheduled for 12 o’clock a week on Monday. I hope this will be the only state funeral I’ll have to organise in my time here; it’s bad enough getting the venue but then you’ve got the private guest list, the public listings and the security…” The minister shuddered, “Anyway, it’s done now so all that’s left is to announce it to the press.”

He looked again at the lengthy column that took up almost the entire broadsheet page. It had made the news when it happened of course but now was the time when all the life stories started being told. While he kept his exterior neutral, inwardly Jonathan Mercer sighed. He had been a good man, that one: courageous, loyal and compassionate to a fault. He had been an icon for fifty years and now his time was done. Like so many of his brethren before him, he had passed on into the lands that never wake, his body now in cold storage before it would eventually become one with the earth. Just not the earth he had been born on.

With an audible sigh this time, Defence Minister Jonathan Mercer pushed himself away from his desk and retrieved his coat from a peg on the nearby wall.
“Come on then,” he said to Martin who stood ready by the door, “Time to face the music.”
As the two of them walked out of Whitehall and the cameras started flashing away like a thousand angry bees, Mercer reflected on his life and the role he currently performed. It was different, certainly. Never before had he been in a position of such power over a civilian organisation and it was strange having people talk to him, people who knew nothing that is, as if he was somehow their equal. He shook his head; things were so much simpler when you had a command structure that you stuck to, no matter what the order was.
Maybe that was the answer then; maybe it was time to get out. He had served a long, fruitful term as “chief civilian” of the army, but maybe it was time to take a more… active role once more. It wouldn’t be difficult; just a few papers here and there, a new face…
In fact the more his mind considered it as his mouth ran through the prepared speech the more he found he liked the idea.

He had already seen too many good people die and been effectively powerless to stop it. He was tired of sitting on the proverbial side lines with nothing but a pen and a big stack of paper as his weapons. No. It was time he got back on the front lines again. Maybe not in the military, but somewhere, somewhere…
Titus Vorenus reflected back on what he had seen back at his old storage lock up, about what he had felt when he had trawled through the veritable mound of data that he found waiting for him there. It had felt good to be working with secrets again; it felt good to be doing something that wasn’t strictly “on the books”.
Yes, said his inner monologue, that was exactly what he’d do.

“No, you’ll never win! Even if you kill us now, your days are still numbered! You think we’re the only ones who know? You think we’d leave something like this down to chance!?”
Alabaster laughed, “Chance? Ha! My dear boy I think you’ll find I've known Keiser for many more years then you have. The only person he’ll have told will be his ‘friend’ up in the Palace of Westminster. He’s the only one he really trusts. The last people that will know of this will be the ‘proper authorities’. But if it makes you feel better, go ahead. Imagine that your death will have some meaning.”

Keith heard the voices but his mind was still too fogged by images of the void to truly take them in. It was a strange experience, like he was floating up through layers of memory, up and up until finally only a thin veil concealed the real world from his waking mind. Like a curtain, he ripped back this last shroud to reveal reality beneath. He had only just woken in time.
Alabaster had Hawk pinned against a row of computer terminals by his neck with one arm, the other grasping what looked like the boy’s own Ka-bar in a powerful grip. The poor boy’s rifle lay on the floor some five or six feet away; although Keith was heartened to note the smoking barrel that meant he had managed to get a shot off before being disarmed. Where that shot had gone however did not matter; the traitor looked unharmed. Everywhere else was empty space; apparently the technicians had fled while had had been out. Keith Keiser sprang to his feet, bringing his own rifle to bear from where he found it on the floor next to him. He had no notion of how much time had passed since Alabaster had almost imprisoned him within his own mind. He knew that the brain worked quicker in a dream state then in the waking world, so despite spending almost an hour trapped within the Cradle it looked like only a minute or so had passed up here. That was good; he might still be able to help.

With the fluid movement of practised ease, Keith slid the stock of the rifle into his shoulder and sighted his muzzle down the reflex sight, aiming dead centre of the traitor’s back. Alabaster and Hawk could not have been more than twenty feet away, an easy shot even when your mind was fogged by psychosis and your fingers still shook from the mental clang of sword on sword. However the two of them were standing in such a way so that Alabaster was positioned directly in front of Hawk from Keith’s firing arc. Normally this would not be a problem if he was using lighter ammunition, but the heavier type 5.56 would likely go through-and-through and hit Hawk as well. Keith wanted to see the traitor dead almost more than anything in the world, however at the last moment something made him pause before he pulled the trigger.
They had been through so much over the past few weeks, Hawk and him. While the boy could never truly understand what someone like Keith felt; he too had lost much to this man’s actions and deserved every chance to get his own revenge. He deserved better than to be killed by his own commander.

With his mind made up, Keith wrenched his finger away from the trigger and instead shot his voice over the small gap.
“Alabaster!”
The man froze. His right hand still gripped Hawk’s neck like a vice but the rest of him had gone very still. The hand with the knife lowered slightly as he began to turn his head, just enough so he could watch his target and this new threat out of the corner of his eyes.
“Well I suppose I should have expected this,” he said through gritted teeth. “If nothing else you’ve proved yourself a resourceful one, I guess that counts for something.” His grip tightened around Hawk, “But it’s too late for you to do anything now.”
With one blindingly fast movement, the former Du’hadrin colonel spun around, dragging the unfortunate Hawk with him and positioning him between the two arch enemies as a meat shield.

Alabaster put the knife up to James’ neck and chuckled, “So what do you want to do, Keiser? As I see it, if you want to get at me you’re going to have to sacrifice him. Is that a price you’re willing to pay? How attached have you two got over the past few weeks I wonder? Make your choice Keith…” he smiled smugly, “…or I’ll make it for you.”
Keith’s finger tightened again on the trigger, the hammer poised above the firing pin like a literal sword of Damocles.
What should he do? Did he trust himself enough to take the shot and risk hitting Hawk?
Or do you not care about his life?
Keith shook his head; no, Jason was dead.
I am not him. I am you.
But that means…
Irrelevant. You’ve known him for a few weeks, how can he possibly be more important to you then Alabaster?
Because…
Because what? You don’t want to kill one of your own?
If I kill him then…
You think you’ll have stooped to that traitor’s level? You know yourself better than that.
But there must be another way.
Can you see one? If you don’t make the decision now then he will. He has magic, don’t forget that. Act now and catch him off guard or your chance may be lost.

Keith gritted his teeth.
James Hawk was looking at him, his eyes focused and a determined expression of his face despite his predicament. Their eyes were locked together, almost vice-like in their connection across the short gap that separated them. Then, almost imperceptibly, James nodded. It was a tiny movement, barely more than a twitch. But its meaning was clear.

Keith squeezed the trigger, releasing the hammer and sending the bullet flying. The crash that accompanied the shot was muffled by the suppressor, yet still it echoed round the empty chamber as loud as a lightning strike. It was a death knell.
For a few seconds nobody moved, nobody breathed. Then Hawk’s knees sagged, a blossom of blood sprouting from his side as his arms dropped and his head sunk down low.
The boy made no sound, not even a whimper.
With a brief cry of pain, Alabaster let go of the body and took a staggering step backwards, dropping the knife as his hands grasped his side. Red started to trickle down between his fingers. Keith was about to readjust his aim and finish it once and for all when something made him pause. It was a feeling at the back of his neck… like something wasn’t quite right, and it made him stop for a heartbeat.

“Mistake!” shouted Alabaster.
In half a second, Keith had brought his rifle back to bear again but it was not quick enough and in an instant he found himself on the floor, sliding backwards over the smooth surface, propelled by an invisible force. As he stopped, Keith twisted, trying to lay his fingers across the weapon but again he was too slow and at once Alabaster was on top of him, slamming a fist into the back of Keith’s head. Stars exploded across his vision as he was sent spinning across the ground once more, his brain trying to tell his limbs what to do with absolutely no response.
Alabaster tried to launch another attack but Keith just managed to get his guard up in time to meet it; fending off the first blow and causing the second to only glace by his shoulder. With his adversary off balance, Keith struck back, sending a powerful kick straight into Alabaster’s knee which knocked the turncoat Basitin back on his [censored] with a thud. They both scrambled to their feet and faced off against one another over the few feet of floor space that separated them, Alabaster’s grey eyes staring into Keith’s golden ones with a malevolence that would have caused others to quail.

“So this is how it all ends is it?” Alabaster spat on the ground, “How poetic. It would have been so much more fitting to keep you trapped inside that deluded mind of yours for ever, your body wasting away up here while your soul slowly decayed in a prison of your own making. Your psyche must be strong to break through my power so quickly.” He grasped his side again, the trickle having slowed to a steady ooze. “But we can’t always get what we want, can we ‘General’? Had it been my decision, you’d never have left the Isles. Your head would have rolled and your name would have been forgotten, barely a footnote in some ledger in the archives. The Masks are not without their sense of irony it would seem.”
Alabaster wiped away a line of blood from the corner of his mouth, “But you just couldn’t die, could you?”

The turncoat moved lightning quick. Instead of charging forward with a physical blow, the darker furred Basitin raised his hand and the invisible force erupted from his palm and roared across the gap to where Keith was standing, poised like a waiting viper. This time however he was ready for the attack and he dodged nimbly, spinning right out of harm’s way. Alabaster grunted and readjusted his aim but Keith was faster and leapt in to seize the moment. He gripped the outstretched hand and twisted, turning the arm and the rest of the body with it before lashing out with a savage kick, sending Alabaster stumbling forward against one of the computer terminals with a grunt of pain from the former colonel. The instrument panels were both a help and a hindrance however as, while the impact was forceful enough to probably cause a minor concussion, they also allowed the traitor the find a purchase and meet Keith’s next strike head on.

The two grappled for several heart-rending seconds, each attacking and counter-attacking until Alabaster’s greater bulk finally gave him an advantage. Keith may have been the stronger of the two but Alabaster had greater body mass on his side, which he used to steadily push Keith onto the back paw. With a roar and a final savage strike, Alabaster broke his opponent’s block and then delivered a stinging slash with a clawed hand straight across Keith’s unprotected face. Now it was the general’s turn to cry out in pain as blood sprayed from the wound and dappled the floor beneath them in red, painting a grisly picture of the combat on the ground with each drop that fell. As he recoiled away from the blow with a stifled gasp, Keith looked up to find to his horror that he couldn’t see out of his right eye, though from damage or just from the quantities of blood running from the wound he couldn’t tell.

He beat a hasty retreat, blocking blows from left and right as best he could while half blind, trying in vain to open up a hole in Alabaster’s defences. But it was no use; his enemy was older and more experienced than he was and it was starting to show more and more with each jab and counter-jab that came his way. Sometimes he managed to score a hit, but it was always superficial and his own reflexes were barely keeping Alabaster at bay.
He had to try something different.

As an arcing cut came in from the left, Keith dodged right, rolling out of reach across the floor and giving him just enough time to compose his mind enough to enact his plan before the storm was on him again. Alabaster was relentless and barely had Keith moved out of the way before he was after him again; leaping forward with a savage uppercut… that hit nothing but the empty air.

Alabaster stumbled forward, thrown off balance by his own carried momentum as his eyes cast around wildly, frantically trying to find where Keith he gone. He didn’t have to wait for very long. Before Alabaster had quite recovered from his miss, a thunderous force slammed into the small of his back and he was catapulted forward; going end over tail until he sprawled in a heap at the base of the giant eldritch construction whose machinery sucked at the very power of the Earth itself. Keith appeared where he had been standing, one hand still raised from where he had struck the bone-crushing blow, the other wiping blood away from his face. He still couldn’t see out of his right eye.

“If that’s how you want to play this!” screamed Alabaster as he sprang to his feet, sending a great tidal-wave of energy crashing across the room that cut a swathe of destruction across the cavernous floor. The cables littering the floor that fed the giant machine fluttered like bunting in a stiff breeze as the tsunami continued on its path; yet still its intended target did not move. Then, at the last possible moment before the flood hit home, Keith vanished; disappearing in a fine cloud of mist that dispersed almost as quickly as it had come.
Alabaster whirled around, expecting another attack from behind and sending a wild slash at the air in the hopes of hitting Keith as he materialized. Yet of the light-furred Basitin there was no sign.

A hushed quiescence fell across the great chamber, the only sounds being the feint whirring of cooling fans and the omnipresent song of the conduit as it continued to drink power from the ground.
Alabaster laughed out loud as the silence continued, “Very nice, Keith; you’ve become quite the good little Templar haven’t you? I would have thought that after what happened to Alaric you’d be a little more hesitant about practising their arts”
Still silence reigned.
“You can’t hide forever Keiser!” he shouted as he stepped over to where Keith had dropped his rifle. Grasping it by the pistol grip, Alabaster swung it into a ready position; his knees slightly bent as he leaned into the butt of the ACR and trained the sights around the empty room. He started walking forward, sweeping the barrel of the rifle over his arcs of fire, making sure to avoid the computer terminals or anywhere else that his prey might be hiding.

In twenty seconds he had swept half the room without seeing hide nor hair of his quarry and the former Du’hadrin colonel’s nerves were beginning to fray. He didn’t like not being able to see his targets.
“Keiser!” he shouted again, just managing to keep the shake out of his voice as he tried to provoke him, “do you want to know why all your comrades died? Do you want to know why I destroyed your entire Wolfpack!?”
Nothing.
“Orland was just a cog! A small gear in a large machine that extends further then you can even imagine. He was a researcher but we no longer needed his research, so we sent you to destroy him. You see, I’ve known who you are for a very long time, Keiser; your little illusion didn’t fool me, not even in the beginning. I knew about his failsafe and sending you in to deal with him would kill two birds with one giant, atomic-powered stone!”

Electricity arced between two of the giant power cables with a sound like a thunderbolt and Alabaster whirled round to face them. He locked his sights on the thrumming wires but saw nothing, not even the smallest scuff mark that would betray his enemy’s location. He was starting to get edgy now.
“But do you know what the really funny thing is, Keith!” he yelled at everywhere and nowhere in particular, “the reason why I’m even involved in the first place!? It’s not because of morals or some higher cause. No, the reason why you and all your friends are dead is because of money! I am here because of greed, Keith! Greed! I’ve lived in this human world long enough to know the score now, Keiser. Honour, integrity, a sense of duty? None of that matters here! The only things humans care about is the coins in their pockets and be dammed with the rest!”

Alabaster started to weave his way amongst the consoles, making sure to keep a weather eye where he walked in case of traps. On the way he passed by the still body of James Hawk who lay where he had fallen, another in the long list of his own people Alabaster had slain in order to achieve his goals.
“That’s why I’m doing this,” he said, “because in this world there is only survival of the fittest and I intend to survive here long after you’re finally dead and buried.”
“I think I understand you now, Aster…”
Magistrate Aster Alabaster twisted, his whole body turning in a heartbeat to face the source of the voice. He was there! On the other side of ley line extractor; Aster couldn’t see him but he had to be there! Gradually, Alabaster began to circle round the great mass of pipes and steel that housed their swirling rift, the rifle shaking slightly in his hands so great was his anticipation.
“I think I understand your plan.”
Alabaster was getting close now, he could feel it.
“It’s power, isn’t it? Magic. That’s what your selling. The humans of this world can’t use magic because the ley lines are buried too deep; you need at least a basic grasp of theory before you could access mana this far down and they’ve never had that. Instead of using the power of the Earth as a fuel source… you’re going to use it to allow these humans to learn magic.”

Aster chuckled as he edged close to where he could hear Keiser’s voice, “So you think you’ve got it all figured out do you? Well I’m sorry to disappoint but there’s far more to it than that, Keith. I may only be in this venture for the money but there are others far deeper down the rabbit’s warren with other plans for this power. And you and your friend Mercer will never find out before it’s much too late.”
“I had always suspected there were others.” Keith’s voice was starting to grow fainter and Alabaster quickened his pace; he could not allow Keiser to escape.
“But you’re just a grunt, aren’t you? A servant. I understand now. They needed you because you were one of the only people who knew about the locations of the Seraph and the Talion.” Alabaster heard a smirking sound before Keith’s voice continued, “The Seraph is the ‘locator’ and you needed it to find the exact coordinates of the ley line out here. The old graphs could give you a rough idea that it was here but you needed the Seraph in order to pinpoint where to build…”
There was a long silence.
“And then there’s the Talion, the ‘extractor’; famed amongst the Templars for granting its user an extraordinary amount of power from the earth despite all the laws of magic. You couldn’t find a way to harness the ley line through science so you turned to the Talion instead.”
The great luminescent vortex gave a flashing pulse as if it were agreeing with what Keith said.
“You can use it to siphon as much or as little power from the mana stream as you like and send it somewhere else using Templar artefacts; artefacts which helped destroy us!”
With a triumphant leap and a cry of victory, Alabaster rounded the final bend and beheld his quarry, standing calmly against the massive eldritch machine with blood dripping down his face and one of the thick, pulsating power cables in his hands.
“It will give me great pleasure to destroy them.”

Before Aster could let loose a shot, Keith placed a paw on the stainless steel surface and then wrenched backwards with all his considerable might, tearing at rubber-coated wire with a scream of stressed metal pushed too far. With an almighty bang and a surge of electrical discharge, the cable tore free of its housing, spinning and writhing around on the floor like great a viper under the power of the current running through it.
“No!” screamed Alabaster, pulling the trigger of the ACR and sending a spray of frantic automatic fire at the man he had once sat in judgement on.

Before the first of the bullets could reach him however, Keith had disappeared, only to reappear a moment later not a foot away from the frenzied Basitin. He grabbed the rifle’s barrel and turned it away, spewing more bullets across the cavern where they impacted with the rock walls, with the computer equipment and with the great extractor itself. The amalgamation of science and magic appeared to be in distress, the once steady stream of light now a raging torrent that fought against the steel and glass prison that contained it like a wild dog against a leash.
Aster was only half way through the magazine when an almighty uppercut sent him staggering backwards, causing him to drop the rifle and howl in pain as several of his ribs caved in under the force of the blow. Keith gave him no respite and followed up with a devastating flurry of attacks, punching, kicking and ripping chunks of flesh from Aster’s body with his claws in a frenzy as he had once done to human soldiers and Templar; so many years ago.

One final vicious clout laid the foe on his back, blood spreading around him as several deep gouges pumped venous blood onto the steel floor. Keith kicked the rifle away from Aster’s grasping fingertips with a weary flick of his paw, the weapon skidding away out of reach across the ground.
“You fool,” croaked Alabaster, “those cables powered the containment fields! Without them the line will destabilize. You’ll kill both of us!”
Keith looked up to the great machine and just watched. It was true; the stream of light was even larger now. What had been a deluge just a few moments ago was now a massive cascade that raged against its cell, the reinforced glass beginning to crack along natural weaknesses and the metal starting to warp as the raw magical energy of the planet began to tear the apparatus apart. Without the electromagnets inside the containment field keeping the rift in check, there was no stopping the planet’s fury at the hubris of those who created it. The entire construction was coming apart at the seams, its destruction driven by the very thing it was built to house.

Keith saw all this and, instead of fear or doubt, a smile crept across his face that stretched from ear to ear. He turned back to his fallen foe,
“That was always the difference between you and me, Aster…”
With the very last of his strength, Keith Cornelius Keiser grasped one of Alabaster’s legs and dragged him protesting and cursing across the floor, slamming him up against the cracked glass and looking at him eye to eye. Their muzzles were so close; Keith could see every line and every individual hair on Aster Alabaster’s face and the emotions that they betrayed.
While Keith felt almost nothing, Alabaster reeked of fear.
“…you always placed yourself first. You always looked after your own life at the cost of others.”
Keith stared deep into his eyes, down into his very soul where all thoughts and emotions were laid bare.
“I have no such tendencies.”

With an ear-splitting crash, the glass of the conduit shattered, breaking apart into a million pieces under the enormous force of the rift behind it and blowing outwards to engulf the two Basitins in a storm of deadly shrapnel. The warp shone from gaping wound like a flood light and bathed the cavern in a dazzling brilliance that blotted out everything: the conduit, the workstations and the two Basitins themselves. Everything in that small world was gone, buried under glass and metal and the all-consuming blaze of a thousand splendid suns.
It was done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wake up.
What?
You need to wake up.
I can’t, it’s too difficult.
You must.
He opened his eyes.
He was being dragged through snow, the whiteness enveloping all around him and crunching as his body moved through it. He felt nothing; not even the mercy of pain that would at least tell him that he were alive and not in some sort of snowy hell. Looking down he could see his body as it was pulled along, the track marks accompanied on his left hand side by a long line of bright red that seemed to stretch on forever into the distance. Arterial blood.
A grunt sounded from somewhere behind him and he felt his body fall back into the powder, his eyes suddenly looking up into the sky where he could just make out tiny pin-pricks of light that could only be stars.

Like an iceberg hoving into view, a face appeared at the edge of his vision. It was blurry at first; almost pixelated like it was being viewed through a tiny camera and not an eye. As it moved further into his field of view however, the features became sharper and more distinct until it took on the appearance of an actual person. One he thought he recognised.
“Wake up! You need to wake up!”
The man slapped him across the face which, to his delight, brought a surge of pain to his senses. It was the best feeling he had ever experienced.
“Come on sir; you need to get up. If you stay out like this you’ll surely die.”
He heard the voice and murmured something unintelligible.
“Oh thank the Masks…”
He felt movement at his back and suddenly he was sitting upright, supported by a pair of firm hands that dug into his flesh with blissful agony. The man was fully in view now and he finally managed to put a name to the face that was lingering at the back of his mind.

“James…” he whispered.
“Yes,” smiled James Hawk, “It’s me. The plan worked. You only shot me through and through in the side.”
James moved his hand to a dark red patch on his winter coat, “A bit of blood but nothing that’ll kill me. You on the other hand…”
Hawk started fiddling with some sort of strap that was bound very tightly just above his left bicep. After a second or two his saviour pulled on the loose end and the strap tightened exponentially, eliciting a strangled gasp from his lips.
“I’m sorry General but it has to be done. You’ve lost a lot of blood already. Anymore and you’ll be gone for sure.”
Hawk finished with the strap and laid him back down again of the cold snow. The stars seemed brighter.
“Hawk…”
“Don’t talk sir. You need to save your strength. There’s a long way to go yet.”
Keith Keiser let his mind wander. He went back over the past few weeks and months at the speed of light, his mind churning with images, voices and feelings. He relived his whole life in those few moments and when he returned to reality his mind was spinning like a leaf caught in a vortex.

He was alive. That simple fact should probably of meant something, but right at that moment he had neither the mental capacity nor the will to understand it. In those few moments he simply existed, not thinking and not feeling, just simply 'being'.
He was alive. That was all that mattered to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so tAoW ends.
Or does it...
Image Image

Theriisingsun
Merchant

Re: The Art of War: The Final Chapter

#113 Post by Theriisingsun »

nice, enjoyed the read, hope to see other interesting tales if its not too much of a bother :grin:

I did notice that the last part of the last chapter does open the door for a MK 2, in the sense that who really was in control of alabaster and will they make any further attempts, whether that was intended I don't know, i'm perfectly happy with it ending the way it had and i'm sure your glad that that long and enduring task is over, but I was just wondering if you considered any sort of epilogue/mop up or continuation in a later version.

anyway, hope your future stories are also a good success :P

Thallium
Templar

#114 Post by Thallium »

Theriisingsun wrote:I did notice that the last part of the last chapter does open the door for a MK 2, in the sense that who really was in control of alabaster and will they make any further attempts, whether that was intended I don't know, i'm perfectly happy with it ending the way it had and i'm sure your glad that that long and enduring task is over, but I was just wondering if you considered any sort of epilogue/mop up or continuation in a later version.
Thallium wrote:And so tAoW ends.
Or does it...
Epilogue, you say...
Image Image

Theriisingsun
Merchant

#115 Post by Theriisingsun »

oh i didn't notice that part, lol

Thallium
Templar

#116 Post by Thallium »

Epilogue – Funeral Rites

“He was a great man, a great soldier and a great leader. When all seemed lost, it was in him that we found hope and in him that we found solace. My father always said that when faced with adversity, the best thing you could do was to face it head on and face it hard. That was his philosophy in a nutshell; a man who never gave up, who never faulted in the presence of a daunting task and who never failed to give his all.”
Leonard Kain cleared his throat gently into a handkerchief before continuing.
“I know that he was devastated when General Keiser was lost to us; when he suddenly had the hopes of an entire people resting on his shoulders. They were always the best of friends in life, and now…” a single tear ran down his check, swiftly wiped away with the square of white cloth.
“…I hope they can be reunited in death. Thank you ladies and gentlemen.”

As Leonard departed the stage, the crowd gave him a respectful round of quiet applause that echoed hauntingly around the vaulted ceiling and colonnades of Westminster Abbey. The place was packed with invited guests and many hundreds of thousands more watched on big screens outside or on their TVs at home; a nation as well as a people mourning the loss of one of their own. It was the fourth and final day of the state funeral of Marcus Kain, former Arms General of the Eastern Basitins during the time of their great exodus and a close personal friend of Master General Keith Keiser, the hero of the Basitin people.
It was for that reason that he was here now.

Keith stood with his back to one of the stone walls of the Abbey, just another face in the crowd that was roughly split half and half between humans and Basitins. Today was the morning of the state service; the body having been laid in repose in Westminster Hall for the past three days so that the Abbey could be prepared of this most important day.

According to the news reports, Marcus Kain had died of a heart attack at the age of 95, a good long life for a good man. When Keith had heard the news, it had taken four nurses and James Hawk to hold him down bodily to prevent him from running all the way to London to see his old friend there and then. They had managed it, just, and James and Keith had agreed later that they would be there for the reception, so long as Keith had recovered sufficiently first. On the previous evening when they had tried to leave, one of the doctors had almost physically gotten in their way when Keith attempted to discharge himself but Hawk had given him such a look as to send the man cowering to his office with the shivers. They were on the last train up that evening.

James was initially concerned that they wouldn’t be allowed into the Abbey itself as they did not possess an invitation and there were Metropolitan firearms officers guarding every entrance. This proved not to be a problem however as, upon seeing the two of them, the guard had simply waved them through the huge entrance doors with barely a second glance. That may simply have been because they were Basitins and the guest list was full of them… or more likely because the guard had taken note of Keith’s condition and did not want to interfere.

Keith Keiser, once beloved figurehead of the Basitin people was but a shadow of his former self. He was as thin and haggard as a scarecrow with a pinched face and a look of a man condemned to be shot at dawn. Over his right eye was a large piece of medical gauze that was strapped to his head by a long cord that looped down below his right ear and around the back of his head. It was too late to save his sight, the doctors had said, but the eye itself could still be salvaged for appearances sake. He had chosen not to fight with them on that one.
His body had been peppered with countless pieces of glass shrapnel when the conduit had exploded; though to his good fortune most had been absorbed by Aster Alabaster which was probably the reason why he was still alive right now. The traitor had been torn to ribbons by the blast, his body shielding Keith from the worst of it despite the force of the explosion blowing them halfway across the room. Not all of Keith had made it through unscathed however.
What remained of his left arm was bundled up in bandages and strapped across his chest, the limb having been so badly shredded that everything below his bicep had to be amputated in order to prevent the whole rest of the arm from becoming gangrenous. Another sacrifice for the greater good: the story of his life. He was a broken man and this funeral was just another nail in his own coffin.

As the military band of the mourning Du’hadrin regiment began to play, the guests started to shuffle with sombre steps out of the great gothic church that was to be General Kain’s final resting place. He lay there with other great figures from history: Henry V, Charles Darwin, the Unknown Warrior and all the rest, but there was another for whom that grave had been originally intended for.
Keith Keiser himself.
Now that man descended the Abbey steps, beaten, broken but very much alive, descending into a new world that was dark and full of terrors and the blank faces of people he no longer knew. Well there was one he knew. Jonathan Mercer had been there of course, it was after all a state military funeral and therefore his civilian domain. He had given a speech, a good speech at that, about Kain’s contribution to the Du’hadrin as its first regimental commander upon its inception and laid a wreath over his coffin with much solemnity and sadness. He too had known the man personally, though of course he couldn’t admit to that in front of the public. As far as they were concerned, the two men had never met.
Mercer hadn’t seen him as far as Keith was aware but he probably suspected his presence all the same
There was one more face waiting in the crowd of people outside the Abbey grounds.

As the two Basitins exited back into the City of Westminster proper, James suddenly stopped in his tracks and stared with an incredulous look into the throng of people that were themselves beginning to disperse back to their daily lives.
“You have got to be kidding me…”
Keith raised his gaze from where he had been staring at the pavement and cast his eye to where Hawk was looking. What he saw made him do a double take and then a frown creased his brow.
“That son of a [censored]…” said Hawk in utter disbelief, “Where the [censored] has he been all this time!”
There, sitting atop the bronze head of the statue of Oliver Cromwell outside the Houses of Parliament, was Crow. The half-demon was perched almost casually, one leg crossed over the other with his wings draped down Cromwell’s back in full view of several thousand Londoners and tourists with cameras. No one seemed to notice however.

When he spied them, Crow sprung down from his roost with a flourish and a flutter of wings, landing with a grace that someone of his size should not have been able to muster, right in front of a group of American sightseers with cameras a-flashing. Despite almost certainly being in the way of several holiday snapshots, neither party seemed to care however and the big drake began to walk quickly over to them, a smile on his lips. When he was a few meters away, Keith took a pace forward and struck him with an almighty right hook straight between the eyes that floored Crow and caused him to spin around, unbalanced as he was by his lack of a stabilising arm. This little stunt did gain some attention from passers-by. They had just seen an injured Basitin war veteran lamp the empty air and almost fall over because of it.

Crow jumped up rubbing his temples, “Oh well hell-bloody-o to you to, Keith! What kinda greeting was that?!”
People may have not been able to see the drake but their continued stares at the small group told Keith that they could definitely hear him. With his one remaining arm, he dragged James out of the crowd and proceeded to walk down a side street until safely out of ear shot.
“What in the bloody hells happened to you?” said Crow once the group finally stopped. Keith was about to strike the half-demon again but he suddenly felt a wave of tiredness wash over him and he had to stagger to a nearby wall to keep himself from falling over.
“Come on, you’re in no fit state for that,” Hawk said with a concerned look on his face as he helped support his injured comrade. Keith was visibly shaken by the physical effort and it was all that Hawk could do to prevent him from collapsing in a heap on the dusty pavement.

“Where the [censored] did you go! We needed you! If you had helped us, maybe Keith wouldn’t be in this state!” Hawk’s voice was low and dangerous, like a viper waiting to strike. Crow held his palms face up, his face a perfect picture of humility.
“I did not mean to abandon you. Truly. Something… something came up in the Blackwater building. It was…” his voice trailed off, “Never mind, I’ll tell you later. For now I’m just here to help arrange a meeting. We can talk about… what happened later.”
Keith shouldered himself off the wall and stood up as straight as his crippled body would allow.
“A meeting?” he said, his voice a mixture of quizzical and malicious. “What meeting? With who?”
“With me.”

The two Basitins whirled around to face the voice that emanated from directly behind them, Hawk instinctively raising a defensive guard while Keith wore an expression that was as hard and as cold as ice. Crow continued to look at Keith’s missing arm, a look of despondent anguish on his features.
“It’s been too long since we’ve last spoken, General Keiser. Keith. I had hoped I’d have been able to catch up with you before the… incident.”
For a long while Keith said nothing, he simply stood there with that same impenetrable look, his eyes unblinking and unrelenting in their gaze.
“Vorenus,” he said at last, “I have been expecting this.”

The minister stood alone in the alleyway, his posture all command and his suit an expensive Savile Row three-piece. In one hand he carried a small leather briefcase and in the other, what looked to be his speech notes; a small sheaf of papers neatly folded and bound with a string. The man gave off an aura of command that was palpable just from looking at him; perhaps unsurprising given that he had held numerous top military positions for over two thousand years. So many years of strategizing and planning and being looked up to by the very men you were about to send off to die left their marks on a man.

“Why did you do it, Keith? Why set off alone? Why did you not come to me first?”
Keith Keiser scratched the stump of his arm and grimaced.
“Because this was nothing to do with you, Vorenus. This was something personal to me,” he looked around, “and to Hawk. Alabaster was my old enemy, my old problem. Not yours.”
Vorenus sighed and shook his head, “And look what it was cost you.”
So saying, he put down his briefcase on the hard pavement, opened it, and retrieved a bound leather folder in the same ominous black as the case itself. He replaced the folder with his notes and then shut the case with a snap that sounded almost like a gunshot in that quiet alleyway, the reverberations echoing on for several seconds while he took up the grip once more.
“However, you’re wrong about it just being personal to you.” He brandished the folder. “You may want to give this a read.”
Keith took the offered binder with his remaining right hand and skimmed over the first few lines of text; Hawk and Crow leaning in so they could read it too. The further they read, the wider their eyes became.
“As you can see, Aster Alabaster was far from the only one involved in this project. This goes far deeper than any of you realise.”
Keith passed the binder back to Vorenus, his hand shaking slightly.
“What is to be done?” his voice was surprisingly calm.
Vorenus looked at him hard before replying.
“I have the ears of certain… ‘interested parties’ who want to investigate this further. I am only telling you as a courtesy, however. The general consensus is to wait and see how this develops and then reel the offenders in with one big net. Even if a direct approach was to be ever taken; you are in no fit state to take part. I’m sorry Keith.”

The former general’s eyes were low, “I… I understand…” he said at last.
With a flourish, Vorenus replaced the binder in his black briefcase and snapped it shut again with another gunshot. Picking it up, he placed a hand on Keith’s shoulder and locked the Basitin’s eyes to his.
“We will speak again soon, Keith. I will not abandon you again. Not now. Just be patient.”
With that, the minister of defence strode past the three of them and walked out onto the main thoroughfare of Abingdon Street without a second glance, disappearing into the crowd almost instantly.
Nobody moved. Nobody spoke. Then…
“So what do we do now?” asked Crow. “Do we just give up and wait?”
Both he and Hawk looked to Keiser who, for a long time, did not respond.
After a few seconds though, he raised his head and looked the pair of them in the eye, his golden orbs burning into theirs with an intensity that was palpable.
“Come with me,” said the crippled Basitin after a lengthy pause. “We’ve got a lot of work to do.”

“Destroyed?”
“Yes sir, I’m afraid so.”
“Totally?”
“Our contact on the ground appears to think so, but there may be some salvage recoverable. It all depends on how quickly we can get teams in to clean out the wreckage before the vultures swoop in.”
Loki leaned back in his reclining chair and blew a ring of smoke out of the cherry wood Dunhill pipe to which he was particularly partial to.
“No matter,” he said once the space above his head was filled with a slight haze, “the research is what matters most. All the rest is just money. Carry on, Becker.”
Becker snapped a crisp salute but paused instead of turning to leave. Loki flashed him a quizzical look, “Was there something else?”
Becker looked troubled, “Oh, no sir it’s nothing really, just… the reports never mentioned any sort of military strike on the base; it’s not in a single backchannel that I can find. So how did it happen sir? Was there an accident or… was it sabotage?”
Loki took on that malicious smile for which he was feared, “Probably just an accident, we’re working with extremely experimental technology, don’t forget that.”
Becker saluted again, “Yes sir, permission to carry on, sir?”
“Granted.”
The warrant officer about-turned and double timed out of the large oak-panelled office that had once been the retreat of a certain General James E. Sturnn; formerly of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and patron of several… clandestine pastimes and people. With the general’s death however, it had been a simple matter to change his last will and testament to leave the large estate to an anonymous third party: Loki.

As the large wood doors hissed shut behind the WO’s jackboots, Loki sat further back into the padded leather chair and blew another smoke ring. From the desk drawer in front of him, Loki withdrew four paper files and spread them in a vague semicircle on the desk’s green baize surface. On the small, passport-like photos on their fronts were four matching people: two Basitins, a human and some creature that Loki and never seen before; something akin to a man but reptilian with all the humanoid characteristics that the made Basitins so… human. However, it was to one of the Basitins that Loki turned to first.

He opened the file and spread out a larger picture as well as several sheets of typed paper over the other folders and regarded them all with an appraising eye. After studying the file’s contents for several minutes, Artimus, known only as “Loki”, looked up and blew one final smoke ring before expunging the pipe into a crystal ash tray on the baize.
“Keith Keiser,” he said with a voice that betrayed just a measured hint of surprise. “Well, well, well. This certainly is very interesting.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End
Image Image