Geno's Art (Aug 07, 2008 ZEROFORTRESS!!)

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

My art so far...

Is great!
10%
Is nice.
35%
Has potential..
45%
Downright sucks. Period.
10%

Total votes: 20

Demus
Templar

Geno's Art (Aug 07, 2008 ZEROFORTRESS!!)

#1 Post by Demus »

Drawing is a wonderful thing. Between all the everyday tasks it's just nice to sometimes forget everything, grab a pencil and start creating!

Not that I would be a wonderful artist myself. I've never had an honest opinion from a third party, but I guess that's going to change here. No? Let's get this trainwreck on the road then.

After countless hours of cursing, I present to you: "What we value".
And the answer - just for the record - is NOT the treasure.

Sorry, no machines of mass-destruction or anything chaotic today. The characters are from my WIP soon-to-be (unlikely) webcomic. I apologize for the size - resizing is NOT my thing. It is at it's limit as it is.

So, all opinions are welcome. I can handle the critique! Maybe... Hopefully... ... *meep*

AND. Before I forget: Ignore the male character's arms being a little curvy. I'm fully aware of some slight mistakes with lineart and they're there to remind me to INK FIRST, THEN SCAN... The shame.

Well, enjoy.

NOTE: Changing from photobucket to tinypic made this particular picture a bit... dreamy. Hope you don't mind.
The shapeshifting cliché!

Sithil
Templar Inner Circle

#2 Post by Sithil »

It's not top class, but's it damn better than anything I could do. It's definately good enough for a webcomic, and I'd read it as soon as I got to know it was out there.

I'm no expert when it comes to this, so all I can say is keep up the good work.
All my life I've seen a world that hates evil more than it loves good ~Johann von Staupitz(Luther, 2003)

PK
New Citizen

#3 Post by PK »

The lineart is shaky, the nose on the male is a bit too high, and the background really makes the foreground stand out, and in my opinion, it's a little obnoxious. I'd blur it, if you wanted that effect, only not so much.

Otherwise, keep it up. :] Is his book supposed to be that small? :P

Demus
Templar

#4 Post by Demus »

I have the couple first pages drawn (inked by hand! AWESOME!), but I wouldn't expect the comic itself quite so soon. Major problems with script, and I also have to pick some easy-to-use comic host (suggestions? I don't know about comicgen yet)

3x5 inch tablet = shaky lineart. I ink by hand from now on, I promise. I knew I blurred it too much, but there was no turning back. Anyway, I'm happy how it turned out, compared to my previous digital art...

Yes, it's supposed to be small, but I've been considering about changing it into the opposite - extra large - for storyline details. It's a diary (and before you ask, no, it isn't his and it isn't a Trace's journal rip-off) :3

Thanks for the opinions so far. I hadn't noticed that nose at all before... I guess I have to update my character skeleton :?

Demus
Templar

#5 Post by Demus »

It's a brand new day and the sun is high. The angels sing, because I have art!

Certainly not one of my best. I got too carried away by the fancy effects of paintshop... Oh well, let me present to you:
"Care to join the crew?" - My crew, that is. Although I don't just accept "members" like that. I do give out free airships, though - mass-production is always fun.

Spam some critic, will ya?

Notes to self so far:
-People have no shadows, interesting.
-Photobucket can't resize, annoying.

Twayblade
Cogito Ergo Nom

#6 Post by Twayblade »

I REALLY like that half invisible robot thing, and for resizing, use tinypic.com
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"

TwoKinds Telegram

Demus
Templar

#7 Post by Demus »

Twayblade17 wrote:I REALLY like that half invisible robot thing, and for resizing, use tinypic.com
Why, thank you. Jester is my masterpiece :)
And also thanks for the link.

Frostflame
Master

#8 Post by Frostflame »

Geno Adare Nexeferion wrote:Certainly not one of my best. I got too carried away by the fancy effects of paintshop...
Used the finger tool didn't you :3

And you draw hands pretty well I must say... hands are reincarnation of the devil I tell you. THE DEVIL ! And you draw the better than I do ¬.¬ Are you Satan ¬.¬

Demus
Templar

#9 Post by Demus »

Frostflame wrote:Used the finger tool didn't you :3
Sadly yes. Intended to use only on the background, but I guess it speaks for itself now.
Frostflame wrote:And you draw hands pretty well I must say... hands are reincarnation of the devil I tell you. THE DEVIL ! And you draw the better than I do ¬.¬ Are you Satan ¬.¬
If I was, would I really need to build my doomsday contraptions? :wink: I divide hands into 14 ellipses and a sandwich, then start rebuilding into a natural position - easy as. :)

Though I'll take that as a compliment.

Arachnion As Captain Jack
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by Arachnion As Captain Jack »

yeah, the whole "no shadows" thing is really creepy in the first picture, since it's bright out. The art itself isn't the greatest on the web, but it is plenty better than that of some webcomics I love. Now, if you can get good writing...

Another Gaming Comic is one I like...funny enough to ignore the horrible drawing.
Iwaku
"But the percentage is almost zero!"
"THE PERCENTAGE MEANS NOTHING! WITH A COURAGEOUS HEART, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! FINAL FUSION APPROVED!"-GaoGaiGar.

My Let's Play (Updates Irregularly)

Demus
Templar

#11 Post by Demus »

Details. You hate 'em, but can't live without.

Writing shouldn't be a problem, but... Well, I honestly don't know what to say. I have "The big plot" planned out with all major turn points, but the problem comes when I'm trying to make the story itself rather serious, but also funny to keep up the interest (like 2Kinds, but not so much. Yeah yeah, I know I chose the hardest path possible, but I am willing to follow it through!) :? And I can't trust the job for just any sunday-writer out there, so I'm all alone on this.

Ah, who ever said being a madman is easy..?

Cupil
Templar Master

#12 Post by Cupil »

While there is a lot of room for improvement, one thing I'm liking consistently in you art so far is the composition. The first picture has some cute poses, particularly with the guy scratching behind the ears of the girl. The second picture also has a cool set up with the suave figure welcoming new crew members, while massive airships take off in the red sky and a robot does some fancy disappearing act.

Demus
Templar

#13 Post by Demus »

First, thank you for the compliment :)

Second, I would like to receive a little more specific feedback. Sure, we all know by now that my art isn't of the finest, but in what area, what details specifically should I gather my attention to in order to improve my art, if any?

Third, I'd love to post more art, but I am unavailable until next week. Also, comicgenesis does not like me. It doesn't let me sing up, but instead throws me with a blank sing-up page everytime I submit my information. Could it be a divine sign, saying "Geno, your art sucks. Stop trying"?

Cupil
Templar Master

#14 Post by Cupil »

Had to walk away for a moment, I'm not very good at putting things to words. PK already brought up some good points on the first image. Shadows would be nice, since it gives off the impression that the character is actually in his/her surrounding area. The crises on the baggy pants just seem to be thrown in, unless both guys are really bad at ironing I suggest maybe decreasing the amount? The folds and crises on clothing especially the loose kinds, generally go downwards from gravity, look at pictures of people with baggy pants for good reference.

Demus
Templar

#15 Post by Demus »

In the first picture the pants just are like that. Also, it has.... some shadow.

In the second picture.... I blame paintshop's fancy effects. They're like drug.

Let's see again after I bring more art Tuesday-Wednesday.

EDIT: Alright. How usual is it for people to come from Animecon and find that they now live somewhere else? Well, I knew about it, but that's beyond my point. Let's see about that art 29th-2nd day. ...ish.

EDIT II: I think this topic is pretty much dead. Spending my time writing, rather than drawing. Perhaps I'll necro this someday.