Tutorials for all

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

wingring

#16 Post by wingring »

él†çrépgrïgô wrote:you woudn't happen to have any links that help with eyes would you? Because im having trouble keeping them equal on both sides.
why not do one eye then draw a line on the bottem the the top and draw the other eye on the other side in that space ?

Fuzzy Ears
Location: In the corner, cowering from the horrors of the web... CURSE YOU RULE #34!!!!

#17 Post by Fuzzy Ears »

i just have trouble keeping the body looking proportionally right

its sometimes really agrovating
poor-me
dot enought money to keep my hobbies adrift
but look on the brite side i now have time to read webcomics XD

=p

grimz
Traveler

#18 Post by grimz »

Maybe a bit pointless to post another link after that massive list on second page but hey, the more the merrier, right? :wink:

http://www.mangatutorials.com/

Anyway, I stumbled across this site a couple of days ago. It's got a pretty good collection of small tutorials. (Man, I love the new Firefox spell check - too bad it doesn't fix the grammar.)
An ancient proverb summed it up: when a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, it ran, he is tired of life.
-Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

çrepgrigo
Traveler

#19 Post by çrepgrigo »

wow, another who knows about that site, i always visit it.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#20 Post by RobbieThe1st »

well, nice list of tutorials, but the one that i dont see there(and the one i realy want) is the how-to-draw-characters-like-tom-does-in-photoshop(or gimp)-easily-with-no-previous-experience
not saying that you'd be able to follow the tut the first time, but that would be nice... and i have seen good looking lineart done in photoshop with a mouse, so it is possible, yet i dont know much about drawing and for me, drawing by hand is impossible, its easyer for me to draw with the mouse(and i get cleaner results... the undo command works wonders :P )

so ya... anyone know where i could find such a tutorial?

(btw gimp is just like photoshop in meny respects, and everything in photoshop can be done in gimp, just not the same ways)

Sage
He Who Makes Catgirls

#21 Post by Sage »

RobbieThe1st wrote:well, nice list of tutorials, but the one that i dont see there(and the one i realy want) is the how-to-draw-characters-like-tom-does-in-photoshop(or gimp)-easily-with-no-previous-experience
not saying that you'd be able to follow the tut the first time, but that would be nice... and i have seen good looking lineart done in photoshop with a mouse, so it is possible, yet i dont know much about drawing and for me, drawing by hand is impossible, its easyer for me to draw with the mouse(and i get cleaner results... the undo command works wonders :P )

(btw gimp is just like photoshop in meny respects, and everything in photoshop can be done in gimp, just not the same ways)
First off - GIMP sucks compared to Photoshop and theres no way to dispute that.

Secondly Tom does draw the comics on the computer- but not with a mouse- he uses a tablet. And commonly uses Autodesk Sketchbook Pro as well as Photoshop.

Third - if you cant draw by hand then perhaps you shouldn't consider being an artist.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#22 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Sage wrote:
RobbieThe1st wrote:well, nice list of tutorials, but the one that i dont see there(and the one i realy want) is the how-to-draw-characters-like-tom-does-in-photoshop(or gimp)-easily-with-no-previous-experience

Secondly Tom does draw the comics on the computer- but not with a mouse- he uses a tablet. And commonly uses Autodesk Sketchbook Pro as well as Photoshop.

Third - if you cant draw by hand then perhaps you shouldn't consider being an artist.
yea i know, however im gonna try... and yes i know what tom uses, i mean ending up with results like what he does, and i have seen some stuff like that....

also, i seriously doubt that gimp is much worse for this stuff, thats for sure. and with all the addons out there, you can get very close to photoshop, and i do believe it is possible to do anything you can do in photoshop in gimp. the popular conception is that its terrible, yet thats not true, its different yes, but its like saying that a mac is much worse than a pc because it only has 1 mouse button(i use a pc btw, but from what i hear there good none the less)

so ya... anyway give me a photoshop tut if you can find one, and iil ee what i can do...

im not trying to be an extremely good artist like tom, i just want to fiddle around and maby make a few characters, and the drawing style of twokinds(even the early stuff) looks nice, and it cant be much harder than other forms of art.

Sage
He Who Makes Catgirls

#23 Post by Sage »

RobbieThe1st wrote:
Sage wrote:

yea i know, however im gonna try... and yes i know what tom uses, i mean ending up with results like what he does, and i have seen some stuff like that....

also, i seriously doubt that gimp is much worse for this stuff, thats for sure. and with all the addons out there, you can get very close to photoshop, and i do believe it is possible to do anything you can do in photoshop in gimp. the popular conception is that its terrible, yet thats not true, its different yes, but its like saying that a mac is much worse than a pc because it only has 1 mouse button(i use a pc btw, but from what i hear there good none the less)

so ya... anyway give me a photoshop tut if you can find one, and iil ee what i can do...

im not trying to be an extremely good artist like tom, i just want to fiddle around and maby make a few characters, and the drawing style of twokinds(even the early stuff) looks nice, and it cant be much harder than other forms of art.
GIMP is worse- Macs use the same kinda mouse devices as PCs these days, if they couldnt Windows would be better than any Mac OS based on that alone, there are no tutorials to draw like Tom- just practice practice practice.

Blind

#24 Post by Blind »

Sage wrote:
RobbieThe1st wrote:
Sage wrote:

GIMP is worse- Macs use the same kinda mouse devices as PCs these days, if they couldnt Windows would be better than any Mac OS based on that alone, there are no tutorials to draw like Tom- just practice practice practice.
What about vector illustrations? It's done by mouse
And so we go, on with our lives
We know the truth, but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss
Deviant Account

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#25 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Blind wrote:
Sage wrote:
RobbieThe1st wrote:
Sage wrote:

What about vector illustrations? It's done by mouse
there must be some sorta tutorial for something like his drawing, and something you can do with the computer definately. also, there is no way gimp can do less, with all the addons people have made, it can be modified to look like photoshop(in menus and such), and definatly have all the tools. also its perfectly fine for drawing, anything like that, and more.

Sage
He Who Makes Catgirls

#26 Post by Sage »

The only tutorials that are for "drawing like Tom" are anime tutorials. Most of them suck and wont help you. Many of them wont help you draw like Tom but rather a generic anime style.

No matter how much you add on to GIMP it is not the same as Photoshop and Photoshop will always be better than GIMP because it is everything you need right away with all the options and shortcuts that mimic the controls used on many high end art programs and it is the world standard for Graphic Design, 2D animation digital coloring, texture work for 3D, and digital art of all kinds.

And Vector art is commonly done with the aid of a tablet as well, when it can be, otherwise it has some form of reference (photo or a sketch that was drawn prior to the vector) to base the vector off of.

bigjc
Traveler

#27 Post by bigjc »

I dissagree. I've been using photoshop since digital manipulation classes in art school. I've used PS 3- cs2.. I have CS2 and the GIMP, and and I do all my coloring, linework, layering ect in the GIMP. The only reason I still keep PS around is that some of the brushes and filters are diffrent and... well, I paid a [censored] for it. ;P

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#28 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Sage wrote:The only tutorials that are for "drawing like Tom" are anime tutorials. Most of them suck and wont help you. Many of them wont help you draw like Tom but rather a generic anime style.
exactly my problem! this is what im looking for. i went to a couple of anime totorials, but they were drawing tutorials, and its kinda hard to attempt to draw in paint... gimp would be easyer i guess... but i mean thats what im looking for. theres like millions of terabytes of data on the internet, yet there isnt 1 tutorial like what im looking for?
bigjc wrote:I dissagree. I've been using photoshop since digital manipulation classes in art school. I've used PS 3- cs2.. I have CS2 and the GIMP, and and I do all my coloring, linework, layering ect in the GIMP. The only reason I still keep PS around is that some of the brushes and filters are different and... well, I paid a [censored] for it. ;P
exactly. i on the other hand tried photoshop trial, but early on, as i a) wont pay $700 for photoshop, or b) download it illegally, i decided to just do stuff in gimp, and as i have seen its pretty powerful, its different from photoshop, but i say thats much better...

Sage
He Who Makes Catgirls

#29 Post by Sage »

Guess what Robbie! If you want to DRAW like Tom you have to actually DRAW. If you cant DRAW - then you wont be able to DRAW like Tom. When that sinks in either go cry or pick up a pencil and start DRAWING - because tutorials and advice arent going to make you a better ARTIST until you start putting them too good use by DRAWING.

Oh and "Experience with GIMP" on your resume is a lot like "Ive opened Paint before and used the spray can".

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#30 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Sage wrote:Guess what Robbie! If you want to DRAW like Tom you have to actually DRAW. If you cant DRAW - then you wont be able to DRAW like Tom. When that sinks in either go cry or pick up a pencil and start DRAWING - because tutorials and advice arent going to make you a better ARTIST until you start putting them too good use by DRAWING.

Oh and "Experience with GIMP" on your resume is a lot like "Ive opened Paint before and used the spray can".
same with photoshop. anyway it seems i wont get any help... im basicly looking for a computer lineart tutorial, preferably furry type anime, in photoshop/gimp.
edit: found something like what im looking for, not perfect, but this proves it IS possible! http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/30635349/
and without a tablet too... hint: line tool in gimp owns!