The Basitin Military in 3D: Part 6 - Battle on the Bridge

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

ActiveRadarIsCasul
New Citizen

Re: The Basitin Military: An Illustrated Guide - Future Work TEASER

#31 Post by ActiveRadarIsCasul »

image machine broke
I'd really appreciate it if all you dagger and short-sword users could just not turn the battlefield into a pokefest whenever someone shows up with an ultra-greatsword i.e. me

Thallium
Templar

#32 Post by Thallium »

ActiveRadarIsCasul wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:37 pm image machine broke
*sigh* Really, again? All of them or just the latest one? Is it fixed now?
Image Image

What I cannot create, I do not understand.
The imagination of nature is far, far greater than the imagination of man.

ActiveRadarIsCasul
New Citizen

#33 Post by ActiveRadarIsCasul »

Thallium wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 pm
just that one. Its fixed now.
I'd really appreciate it if all you dagger and short-sword users could just not turn the battlefield into a pokefest whenever someone shows up with an ultra-greatsword i.e. me

Thallium
Templar

#34 Post by Thallium »

ActiveRadarIsCasul wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:58 pm
Thallium wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 pm
just that one. Its fixed now.
Hurrah, not sure why FA does that sometimes, I guess maybe the image address changes sometimes or something. Let me know if it keeps doing it and I'll look into hosting the image files elsewhere. Anyway, glad its fixed now, hope that teaser is enough to whet your appetite for what's to come, take it from me it's gonna be cool.
Image Image

ActiveRadarIsCasul
New Citizen

Re: The Basitin Military: An Illustrated Guide - Future Work TEASER (fixed)

#35 Post by ActiveRadarIsCasul »

Make sure to rig that tail my dude. I want that 3D katana tail

Thallium
Templar

#36 Post by Thallium »

ActiveRadarIsCasul wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:59 pm Make sure to rig that tail my dude. I want that 3D katana tail
Katana tail you say...

Image Image

ActiveRadarIsCasul
New Citizen

#37 Post by ActiveRadarIsCasul »

Thallium wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 pm
ActiveRadarIsCasul wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:59 pm Make sure to rig that tail my dude. I want that 3D katana tail
Katana tail you say...

ahhhhhhhhh yesssssssss

i'd pay for an sfm port of that (if i had money)

Thallium
Templar

#38 Post by Thallium »

ActiveRadarIsCasul wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:25 am ahhhhhhhhh yesssssssss

i'd pay for an sfm port of that (if i had money)
Well the great thing about 3D is once you have all the models its relatively easy to do different things with them so I'm not going to rule anything out at this point.
Image Image

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#39 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Not enteriley sure if greatswordmen would be a good counter against lines of pikemen as it is a rather cumbersome weapon against such enemies.
In any case i was gonna post a long response about how greatsowrds are not really that practical in any case as it is cumbersome, hard to wield and the mass/reach advantages are minimal, but i lost the draft so i will simply link this youtube channel. The host periodically complains about fantasy sword for being too big.
That being said considering the average basitin is relatively small i assume their "greatsword" would measure like a regular longsword for me. Just saying.

And respect to the teaser you showed us:
Wow 3D modeling that is uncommon in these parts, the model itself looks nice, yet i am not gonna lie, if i were to see something like that at night I would run In the opposite direction as fast as I could. Also isn't the muzzle/face a bit too large?
In any case impressive wip.
This reminds me of another thread here on the forums discussing twokinds inspired printable (paper) toys. Lets be real it is 2018 now and 3D printers are everywhere so I imagined a 3D printable version of any character could be something people are interested in. But there were no 3D models. Hopefully with this we could one day print our own Keith to decorate our desks.

Finally, regarding you issues with FA. I would recommend contacting FA support: my rig is a bit unusual so it is no wonder if I am not being able to see linked images. But if someone else is having the same problem then the issue is somewhere else. Also phpBB, the software that this forum is based on, is rather old and not many people use it today, however it is still actively maintained, So maybe, just maybe, they way the host images on DA is becoming incompatible with the forum software, it would be worth asking.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Thallium
Templar

#40 Post by Thallium »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:31 am Not enteriley sure if greatswordmen would be a good counter against lines of pikemen as it is a rather cumbersome weapon against such enemies.
In any case i was gonna post a long response about how greatsowrds are not really that practical in any case as it is cumbersome, hard to wield and the mass/reach advantages are minimal, but i lost the draft so i will simply link this youtube channel. The host periodically complains about fantasy sword for being too big.
That being said considering the average basitin is relatively small i assume their "greatsword" would measure like a regular longsword for me. Just saying.
Ah but you see that is exactly where greatswords were used historically. They were certainly not as a common as fantasy games and films would have you believe but they did find a niche against pike formations for the reasons I describe. The Wikipedia pages for Zweihänder and Landsknecht can provide more details if you'd like them. I love Skallagrim, been watching him for years as well as other historical arms and armour youtubers like Scholagladiatoria and Knyght Errant were a big influence on how I designed the basitin's equipment. From the historical finds, greatswords tended to be about the height of the user or slightly bigger, and so I sized my basitin's greatsword appropriately. The design is also based off of historical finds but for the life of me I can't find the original image I used anymore. In terms of the basitin's height, I'm not sure that they're that much shorter then the other races (Keith is the same height as Trace for example), but regardless for simplicity's sake, I have just assumed their height to have been that of the average human 500 years ago as it make scaling things so much easier.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:31 am And respect to the teaser you showed us:
Wow 3D modeling that is uncommon in these parts, the model itself looks nice, yet i am not gonna lie, if i were to see something like that at night I would run In the opposite direction as fast as I could. Also isn't the muzzle/face a bit too large?
Thanks, I wanted to find my niche here and I noticed that there wasn't a lot of 3D stuff (although now, having got into it, I can see why) so I thought I'd at least give it a go. Yeah the model looks a little terrifying at the moment but that's mainly because he doesn't have his fur on yet and personally I can think of nothing scarier then meeting a shaved basitin in a dark alleyway. There aren't too many side on views of basitins in the comic so it's a little hard to get an absolute read on muzzle size but I think I've got it about right, although it's an easy change to make if in the future it looks to big.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:31 am This reminds me of another thread here on the forums discussing twokinds inspired printable (paper) toys. Lets be real it is 2018 now and 3D printers are everywhere so I imagined a 3D printable version of any character could be something people are interested in. But there were no 3D models. Hopefully with this we could one day print our own Keith to decorate our desks.
Maybe one day I'll release my own line of totally-not-warhammer basitin miniatures to do battle against the forces of Chaos. I would love to have a 3D Keith, the problem is that so much of Keith's design that makes it recognise as him is based off Tom's art style and that is extremely hard to replicate in 3D, especially if like me you're going for a realistic look. I'll give it a go but I'm not sure anything I make will be recognisable as anything other than a generic basitin.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:31 am Finally, regarding you issues with FA. I would recommend contacting FA support: my rig is a bit unusual so it is no wonder if I am not being able to see linked images. But if someone else is having the same problem then the issue is somewhere else. Also phpBB, the software that this forum is based on, is rather old and not many people use it today, however it is still actively maintained, So maybe, just maybe, they way the host images on DA is becoming incompatible with the forum software, it would be worth asking.
Interesting, you have a coding/computing background then I assume? Thanks for the tips, in any case I now have an imgur account so I can host things there if needed as well, keep me updated if anything goes missing from this thread and I'll look into it.

Also, new stretch goal: 1000 views and I'll show you something that's a little bit more then a terrifying, fur-less monstrosity.
Image Image

Thallium
Templar

#41 Post by Thallium »

Part 7 of the Illustrated Guide. Today is the turn of the bombardier, or more importantly, the artillery piece he crews. This one is unique in the sense that it is the only one of these artworks that the main focus of the picture is not the basitins themselves. It's also the only piece where I used an image texture to do some of the colouration, in this case the wood that the carroballista is made from. I think it turned out well, if a little restricted by the aspect ratio that I want to keep consistent through out everything in this series. Let me know what you think and enjoy the longer description as it goes a bit in to the history of the basitins in their interactions with the other races. Next up we will be keeping on the ranged theme with a look at the longbowman, a soldier who provides that vital skirmishing component to an army. Enjoy!

Any problems viewing these images, you can find them mirrored on my FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/thallium/

It was during the Contact Wars on the mainland some 300 years ago that the basitins first realised they would need something a little more substantial then arrows if they were going to be successful. When the first Expeditionary Force crossed the Grand Sea they had only a vague notion of what they might find. Small vessels and signs of occupation had been spotted by explorers during the flurry of activity that surrounded the discovery of another continent to the north, however none from the Isles had ever set paw upon these new and distant shores. Not until the Expeditionary Force that was. The small band of 500 hand picked men and women landed at what is now known as Wreathwood Harbour, a small inlet on the west of the great unknown continent. There they encountered the natives, the forest wolf keidran, who did not take kindly to armed strangers turning up unbidden on their land and promptly fell upon the basitins with claws outstretched as they were disembarking. A defence was mounted and the keidran were routed, thus sparking a series of minor and major wars between the basitins and keidran that would last on and off for almost five years. The keidran proved little match for the armoured and disciplined island warriors, who easily bested them in open field warfare, forcing the keidran to enact guerrilla tactics in order to hold on to their rapidly dwindling territory. As more and more reinforcements arrived from the Isles, it looked certain that the basitins would establish a significant and permanent presence on the mainland. That was until they first encountered humans.

Soldiers had fallen foul of the new and strange power the keidran wielded called magic in their battles with them in the years before, however keidran magic was limited to the potency granted to them by the crystals they used and it was rarely enough to sway the course of a battle. This was not the case with the humans however. As the basitin invaders pushed east, they started to leave keidran-held land and began encroaching upon the fur less-ones' territories. At first the small victories in outlying areas came as easily as those against the keidran, however it soon became clear that the humans were a much more significant foe. Unlike the savage wolves and foxes, they were centrally organised and when word made it back to the major population centres that a new enemy had started burning the outer villages, a significant armed response was organised. The first major battle was fought at Leighton on the shores of Lake Mead and it was a bloody affair. Though the basitins emerged victorious, their victory cost them more then any battle with the keidran had in thew past, thanks mainly to the devastating power the human mages, known as Templars, could bring to bear. Not reliant on crystals, the Templar were able to incinerate whole companies in flames or use the very arcane energies themselves to annihilate all who stood before them. It was only a lucky volley of longbow fire that killed the majority of the Templar on the field that enabled the basitins to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Though Leighton fell, from that day on more and more Templar were brought up to the front lines and it wasn't long before the basitins were pushed back.

It was around this time that the high command, frustrated by their lack of progress in controlling magic as they humans and keidran did, decided that a new approach was needed. If they could not conjure energy from the aether, they would manifest it in a more physical way instead. The greatest engineering minds back on the Isles were given the task of developing great machines of war that could hurl fire like the Templar did or launch great bolts of death across the battlefield. Though some initial progress was made and prototypes were shipped to the front, it was too little too late. Emboldened by a series of victories following the battle of Leighton, the humans counter attacked hard, eventually eroding almost all of the territory the basitins had taken from them and even pushing on into what had been wolf lands. Though the battles against the keidran still usually went the basitin's way, the extra manpower being diverted the human front was sapping their strength and morale was low. Though it seemed likely that they could hold on to their conquests in the west, the Templar spear-headed human armies showed no signs of stopping and so it was that, with their foes bearing down upon their original landing site at Wreathwood, the decision was taken to abandon the mainland and flee back across the Grand Sea with as much loot as they could carry. With the end of the Contact Wars in defeat after almost 6 years of battle, the basitins closed themselves off to the outside world, becoming the isolationists which they are known as today, as well as ending many projects started to aid the war effort, the development of the magic-imitating war machines included. That is until recently.

With the Isles slowly starting to open up to outsiders, it became clear to the high command from the information gleaned from travellers that the Contact Wars of centuries ago had had an unintended side-effect: the rise of the Templar to a position of dominance in human society brought about in part for bringing them victory against the basitins. As the years marched on the trend was clear: the Templar were becoming more aggressive and would soon be a big problem. The high generals and the king knew that if the humans ever decided to take revenge and invade the Isles as so long ago the basitins had done to them, the vast military might of the basitins would be unable to stop them in its current state. Thus two old projects from the pages of history were revived: the search to unlock basitin magical potential and the development of the great war machines which were hoped to bring victory so long ago. Only one of the two projects made any headway.

It was fifteen years ago that the first pieces of the newly minted Royal Artillery Corps went into action for the first time to devastating effect. Situated far behind the front line of shieldbearers and behind even the longbowmen, the long range, powerful and most importantly portable artillery pieces come in a variety of sizes and are able to deliver a variety of different payloads as the situation dictates. From the smaller two crew scorpios to the mid-sized four crew carroballista (like the one shown here) and up to the large six-to-eight crew ballistas and counterweight trebuchets, these field artillery pieces and siege engines finally made up for the basitins at least a portion of their magical disadvantage. Loading up these war engines with solid bolts or hollow spheres of flammable oil allowed them to replicate many of the devastating effects they had been subjected to first hand during the Contact Wars.

The carroballista is shown here with a single representative crew member of the four that would normally operate it. Requiring two winchers to pull the rope back under tension from the arms and a loader to manage and charge the payload (all bombardiers, the lowest rank in the army and equivalent to a shieldbearer or other front line troop) as well as a spotter/commander to seek targets and range find (usually an optio), the carroballista has quickly established itself as one of the most useful of the varied machines under the RAC's command due to its good balance of firepower and portability. The ability to launch man-sized projectiles across an entire battlefield while still being light enough for the crew to manoeuvre and carry it short distances if needed has won the day on numerous battlefields since it was first introduced. The example shown here is equipped with solid projectile ammunition, essentially a large, steel-tipped arrow, that will penetrate through any armour and has been known to pin multiple men to trees with a single, well-placed bolt. In battle, a battery of four pieces is under the command of a single marshal who are generally given priority targets from up above at which all their crews aim. Usually these targets are those that other units in the army will have trouble reaching, such as enemy skirmishers or wide-flanking cavalry. There is also the hope that, in any future war against the humans, the immense power behind a carroballista and especially a ballista bolt will be able to penetrate the magical shields that the Templar took to surrounding themselves with after the defeat at Leighton that was a primary reason for the eventual downfall of the Expeditionary Force. Only time will tell.
Image Image

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

Re: The Basitin Military: An Illustrated Guide - Part 7: Bombardier

#42 Post by Neptune »

A bit related to the discussion, but what if the Basitins has won? I'd think that most humans and Keidran would be subject to genocide or exiled to the far north, and Basitin settlers would replace them and their cities. This would be so, until maybe an alien race accidentally stumbles upon the Masks' little game, and seeing how these little fluffy people were so angry, would proceed to bomb the absolute hell out of the continent and then go to the isles and reduce their glorious empire to shattered stone, embers and ash.
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#43 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Thallium wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:42 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:31 am And respect to the teaser you showed us:
Thanks, I wanted to find my niche here and I noticed that there wasn't a lot of 3D stuff (although now, having got into it, I can see why) so I thought I'd at least give it a go. Yeah the model looks a little terrifying at the moment but that's mainly because he doesn't have his fur on yet and personally I can think of nothing scarier then meeting a shaved basitin in a dark alleyway. There aren't too many side on views of basitins in the comic so it's a little hard to get an absolute read on muzzle size but I think I've got it about right, although it's an easy change to make if in the future it looks to big.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:31 am This reminds me of another thread here on the forums discussing twokinds inspired printable (paper) toys. Lets be real it is 2018 now and 3D printers are everywhere so I imagined a 3D printable version of any character could be something people are interested in. But there were no 3D models. Hopefully with this we could one day print our own Keith to decorate our desks.
Maybe one day I'll release my own line of totally-not-warhammer basitin miniatures to do battle against the forces of Chaos. I would love to have a 3D Keith, the problem is that so much of Keith's design that makes it recognise as him is based off Tom's art style and that is extremely hard to replicate in 3D, especially if like me you're going for a realistic look. I'll give it a go but I'm not sure anything I make will be recognisable as anything other than a generic basitin.
Well one of my gripes with Keith's design is that he is not distinct enough. I routinely mistake any basitin on Tom sketches for him and sometimes i mistook Keith for any other basitin. Specially in the non colored sketches. So yeah having a Keith-looking miniature would be hard. But a generic basitin would be far more then we currently have!
Thallium wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:42 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:31 am Finally, regarding you issues with FA. I would recommend contacting FA support: my rig is a bit unusual so it is no wonder if I am not being able to see linked images. But if someone else is having the same problem then the issue is somewhere else. Also phpBB, the software that this forum is based on, is rather old and not many people use it today, however it is still actively maintained, So maybe, just maybe, they way the host images on DA is becoming incompatible with the forum software, it would be worth asking.
Interesting, you have a coding/computing background then I assume? Thanks for the tips, in any case I now have an imgur account so I can host things there if needed as well, keep me updated if anything goes missing from this thread and I'll look into it.

Also, new stretch goal: 1000 views and I'll show you something that's a little bit more then a terrifying, fur-less monstrosity.
As it is tangentially related: I just tried, in another thread mind you, to post an image from Imgur, but for some reason it does not show. May be a bug with the forum software. Granted i haven't used the image function in quite a while so i may be my fault.

Thallium wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:25 pm -Siege workshop level snip-
I am impressed. The ballistiae looks a bit tiny thought. Alas i have never seen one real and up-close so i really do not know how big it is supposed to be :?
Not much to add thought I am simply a fan of siege weaponry, I once tried to build my own ballista, however the metal touches do look out of place thanks to the textured beams.

On a side note i have never understood why the Basitins just decided to attack/conquer when they reached the continent. They are proud of dishing out tough love sure. But eradicating an species because you find the moral code a bit too lax? that sound like covenant (from halo) not like our favorite bunny/cat people. But alas not my story...
Neptune wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:32 pm A bit related to the discussion, but what if the Basitins has won? I'd think that most humans and Keidran would be subject to genocide or exiled to the far north, and Basitin settlers would replace them and their cities. This would be so, until maybe an alien race accidentally stumbles upon the Masks' little game, and seeing how these little fluffy people were so angry, would proceed to bomb the absolute hell out of the continent and then go to the isles and reduce their glorious empire to shattered stone, embers and ash.
Personally I am not sure the Bastins would be hell bent on mass genocide or "race cleansinsg" but as I made my point, not my story. In any case i really like the alien idea. Not sure why but the concept of advanced technological race meet magical fantasy creatures on some planet is something that really pikes my interest.
In any case with what little lore we have there is the case to be made that the mask are of alien origin.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Thallium
Templar

#44 Post by Thallium »

Neptune wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:32 pm A bit related to the discussion, but what if the Basitins has won? I'd think that most humans and Keidran would be subject to genocide or exiled to the far north, and Basitin settlers would replace them and their cities. This would be so, until maybe an alien race accidentally stumbles upon the Masks' little game, and seeing how these little fluffy people were so angry, would proceed to bomb the absolute hell out of the continent and then go to the isles and reduce their glorious empire to shattered stone, embers and ash.
Sounds like a story you should write, friend. I always love a bit of alt history, even if it is alt history of a fantasy to begin with. From a real historical perspective, when a land was conquered, the invaders usually replaced the aristocracy with their own but generally left the peasant population alone which is how I imagine it would have gone down had the Basitins won. We need more of the Masks in this story, they haven't been nearly as prominent as I thought they'd be when I first started reading years ago. I have no doubt we'll see more of the as the comic begins to wrap up however.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:21 am Well one of my gripes with Keith's design is that he is not distinct enough. I routinely mistake any basitin on Tom sketches for him and sometimes i mistook Keith for any other basitin. Specially in the non colored sketches. So yeah having a Keith-looking miniature would be hard. But a generic basitin would be far more then we currently have!
"Look at all the Keiths everywhere." I like that Tom recognises this and lampoons it in his own work. The one I particularly get confused about in the non-colour sketches is Natani and Raine as Tom has a very distinctive "wolf" drawing style. Well a generic basitin is coming so fear not! I'll have a damn good go at making Keith but we'll have to see. Something for the future.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:21 am As it is tangentially related: I just tried, in another thread mind you, to post an image from Imgur, but for some reason it does not show. May be a bug with the forum software. Granted i haven't used the image function in quite a while so i may be my fault.
Hmm that's slightly worrying, I think I'll just keep monitoring it and see what happens. I've always been able to restore any images that go down and there's the link to their hosting place on FA so hopefully that'll be enough for people to see them if they keep going missing.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:21 am I am impressed. The ballistiae looks a bit tiny thought. Alas i have never seen one real and up-close so i really do not know how big it is supposed to be :?
Not much to add thought I am simply a fan of siege weaponry, I once tried to build my own ballista, however the metal touches do look out of place thanks to the textured beams.
Thanks; I'm not sure how clear I made this in the blurb but a carroballista (which is what is shown) is different from a ballista (which is much larger and probably what you were thinking of).This image here, with the scorpio on the left, the carroballista in the middle and the ballista on the right probably illustrates the size differences the best. I see your point about the metal compared to the wood. Fortunately that won't be a problem when we move to 3D because everything is image textures. Also, pics of your own ballista?
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:21 am On a side note i have never understood why the Basitins just decided to attack/conquer when they reached the continent. They are proud of dishing out tough love sure. But eradicating an species because you find the moral code a bit too lax? that sound like covenant (from halo) not like our favorite bunny/cat people. But alas not my story...
Not my story either, the Contact Wars are something Tom has talked about in the past, I just made up some of the details. I get the feeling they'd be more like benevolent dictators rather than purporting genocide, maybe one day we'll get a Twokinds historical spin off.
Image Image

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

#45 Post by Neptune »

Thallium wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:19 am
Sounds like a story you should write, friend. I always love a bit of alt history, even if it is alt history of a fantasy to begin with. From a real historical perspective, when a land was conquered, the invaders usually replaced the aristocracy with their own but generally left the peasant population alone which is how I imagine it would have gone down had the Basitins won. We need more of the Masks in this story, they haven't been nearly as prominent as I thought they'd be when I first started reading years ago. I have no doubt we'll see more of the as the comic begins to wrap up however.
Maybe I should write a little stint on a bunch of Kerbal explorers finding this little planet full of weird energy and stuff, then it gets a bit nasty after they settle the place and mine the resources. The Kerbin's allies start putting sanctions on the self-sufficient fellows.
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?