Bob's art

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

ReBob
Council Member

Bob's art

#1 Post by ReBob »

Thought I'd post something for people to see, unlike my stories I'm actually somewhat confident in my art since I've been drawing on and off since I was a wee lad. I still make terrible mistakes though, as shall be seen. Here's a link to what I feel is my best so far.

http://random-maggot.deviantart.com/art ... -528015404

I know it's somewhat skewed, I noticed that too far into the inking to do anything about it. Used a carbon pencil on a lot on this, wasn't sure how to use it so I just put heavy lines in and smeared it up a bit until it looked ok. Started running out of ideas on how to fill out the background, so I kind of just tried to make it look cloudy and failed. Then Gandalf turned out like... that. This looked extremely sexy until I started getting into the shading, background, and gandalf and noticed the tilt. First thing I made with real ink pens, almost everything else on my page is done with bics or no ink.

Anyway, I shared a thing. Might share more later.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

justanUltramarine
Apprentice

Re: Bob's art

#2 Post by justanUltramarine »

HOLY MOTHER TERESA ON THE HOOD OF A MERCEDES BENZ . that looks so cool , the eyes , the mouth everything ... i love it

ReBob
Council Member

#3 Post by ReBob »

Why thank you kindly for the nice words. Don't know if it's good enough for that much praise, but I will take it with a smile. :D
Image Image
Image Image

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4 Post by Bellhead »

ReBob wrote:Why thank you kindly for the nice words. Don't know if it's good enough for that much praise, but I will take it with a smile. :D
Dude, that is like "Buy at an auction and hang it on my wall" quality. Don't you DARE sell yourself short.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

ReBob
Council Member

#5 Post by ReBob »

Considering the mistakes I made, I think it's very important to keep in mind the shortcomings. Like the tilt, which I can rationalize now as being acceptable due to the asymmetrical nature I see in a few Balrog designs, was still quite jarring when I noticed it halfway through shading.

By no means am I saying this is garbage, I'm just making sure I feed myself some healthy doses of humble pie. I will say I am shocked at the overwhelming positivity towards this piece so far though. Nice to get some art out there, took me years to get the chance.
Image Image
Image Image

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#6 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Mother of Lorde...

Bob, this is fantastic. Now, I could repeat what the others have said and offer only motivation, or I could point out just what I see that irks me even in the slightest.

I'm going tough critic mode, because normal critic mode just won't cut it.

First thing's first: Gandalf's left hand. It looks as though we're seeing the inside of his palm, but with fingernails visible. It's a bit weird. Now, this one's an easy fix; just a tad bit of erasing and it's all sugar and spice. The creases between his thumb and pointer finger. All you gotta do is get rid of those.

Second, not really fixable, but something you can take into account. His arms are super thin. That's it for this one.

Third, and this is just my inner nerd speaking, he has the wrong staff! The one he has in this picture is the one he gets after he's resurrected. Not too bad. Definitely doesn't make it worse.

That's all. Other than that, the picture looks fantastic.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

ReBob
Council Member

#7 Post by ReBob »

Have any tips on erasing ink from paper? :P I could try digitally, but I'm the noobiest of the noobs when it comes to digital touchups.

Gandalf was only added because the request from my buddy was for both him and the Balrog, and I didn't have a reference for him so I just tried making a passable old guy. Used the movie box for the staff, so I do know it's the wrong one. I should've thought this piece out more ahead of time, but I started rushing after getting most of the Balrog finished and it shows. The heavy shading on the arms does make them look quite small, doesn't it. They were bigger before that, you can see the border of the ink and the carbon shading all over the page.

In defense of hands, I hear they're one of three very difficult things to draw along with horses and bicycles, both of which confuse my hand-eye coordination.

Thank you for your criticism. :grin:
Image Image
Image Image

prototype99
Master

#8 Post by prototype99 »

still better than me at drawing! XD i'll be honest a mistake such as you made is too easy to make, so don't let it annoy you!
stop! look at these cute emotes! :flora: :kathrin: :natani: :nora: okay you may continue!

ReBob
Council Member

#9 Post by ReBob »

Easier said than done, but I do try. Thank you for the kind words. :)
Image Image
Image Image

ReBob
Council Member

#10 Post by ReBob »

Is this a necropost? On topic and relevant, and it is my own topic, so I'll take the hit if so. Wanted to share some new things I did.

I made a new art, this one a gift for a friend. I had to piece it together in gimp because the paper was too big for the scan bed, so there's a seam you can see in the white. Hope nothing else is too off.

http://random-maggot.deviantart.com/art ... -597106465

Also did some lineart of Holo from Spice & Wolf, uploaded to try and entice a friend to color it. Will do more shading and thicker lines probably later. Again, same paper, so seam.

http://random-maggot.deviantart.com/art ... -597102869

Didn't know if the seams could be fixed in gimp, so I didn't waste time since it was late when I put these up.
Image Image
Image Image

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#11 Post by Bellhead »

Those are really good. And since this is your art thread, I don't think you can necro it.

That lineart of Holo almost had me convinced that it was official property. Awesome job.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

ReBob
Council Member

#12 Post by ReBob »

Thanks for the kind words. I messed up badly on early versions of these, once with wrong shapes for Carnage and that lineart I posted is the fourth attempt at getting proportions correct. Also at lining it up on the paper so it fit correctly. I don't do much early sketching, so mistakes catch me a lot that can be fixed early on. Been getting better with that though, and it has helped a great deal.
Image Image
Image Image

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#13 Post by kiabugboy »

that carnage drawing looks awesome :D
i can see that you put much time into it

amenon
Grand Templar

#14 Post by amenon »

This thread is brilliantly named. That is all :P

Well, except to say that Carnage looks quite neat! And I'm not even familiar with the source material.

ReBob
Council Member

#15 Post by ReBob »

Thank you both, my friend has framed it on his wall now. His favorite villain. Will eventually do him a Joker to match, I think. Have a Majora and a Broly to finish when I decide to put in the time, hopefully not as long as it took to finish these. The Majora one has been in the works since before the Carnage piece, but I'm stuck on how to finish it.
Image Image
Image Image