The Nerdiest Art Medium

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

Bachaddict
Apprentice

The Nerdiest Art Medium

#1 Post by Bachaddict »

Inspired by all the art here, and creations like this LEGO Hatsune Miku, I had a go at building something. None of my 30,000 LEGO pieces were the right colour, so I'm using LEGO Digital Designer. All the parts are connected.

I'm working on a larger scale version (and eventually full figures and other characters) but wanted to ask people where the best reference drawings are.

ImageSmall Trace

Feedback welcome!

P.S. I tried uploading to the forum directly, but that failed.
|This box is too sm|

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: The Nerdiest Art Medium

#2 Post by Bellhead »

Neat idea. LDD is a nice program, I had it on my computer for a while. It's really neat that it lets you buy the stuff you create.

Nice job on the image, too, given the size. I'd recommend going bigger. Make one that's, say, 10 blocks tall for the head. I've found that the more blocks you have, the better it looks. No matter how bad you are. And yes, this is from experience I say this. :P
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Bachaddict
Apprentice

#3 Post by Bachaddict »

You can no longer buy sets through LDD, but the palette was limited and overpriced anyway.
I started small because I was thinking of buying the actual bricks. Also the smallest one was finished fastest :wink: For now I'm simply using what looks best on screen. If I wanted to buy them I'd have to find out the correct colours and redevelop using the pieces that exist in those colours. Of course, making a gigantic mosaic takes the least skill, but I like using advanced techniques. :grin:
The other problem with upsizing is that it starts looking flat if I don't make noses and snouts stick out. That adds another dimension of complexity to the shaping.

Current reference: Tenth Anniversary page

Imagelarge face

Now I need to work out how to finish the eyes, maybe using these techniques:
ImageFace by LEGO DOU Moko, on Flickr
|This box is too sm|

Bachaddict
Apprentice

#4 Post by Bachaddict »

It's harder than it looks. I might try a flat brick sketch in the style of Chris McVeigh instead.

|This box is too sm|