Alec's artistic adventure adress

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

Alec
Citizen

Alec's artistic adventure adress

#1 Post by Alec »

Welp, seeing the title, I think I was a bit too over-enthusiastic...

So, yeah. Straight to the topic. A couple of days ago, I told myself that I should do something else than playing games when being bored after class...so why the heck not trying to be creative and drawing something?

After a couple of hours, this is the result:

(Deviant link for better res)
http://civilizationfan1.deviantart.com/ ... -428788122

So, basically, I am fascinated by the industrial age...so the idea behind this was to bring some characters from a medieval comic setting into another era. I was trying to make a small background story to that stuff, too...
Spoiler!
Boop. We are writing the late 1850's. The time did not stop in the world of our heroes and the river of time washed away what had been once. After hundreds of years in a medieval shape, the continent experienced a drastical boost of technology, art and social overthrow, thanks to the discovery of steam power. In only four decades, the new invention which shall change the surface of the land forever, was adapted and a new era had begun. Revolutionising pretty much everything known to people, the old order crumbled away. Especially the lower class, the former peasants, slaves and workers, are concerned. They are now, partially, forced to work in the great towns' factories since one machine was able to replace hundreds of organic workers.
But the most interesting aspect is, that the new society does not discriminate by skin color, race or fur anymore like it used to be for thousands of years. The new social classification is made by wealth, influence and nobility.
While the lower class of all species are forced to work for the ones who own the factories, the upper class on the other side understood that cooperation and economical competition are much more profitable than war.
Since the Keidran territories turned out to be rich of coal, iron and other metals, their Lords send ressources to the Imperial Human Empire in exchange for know-how. This might be surprising on first thought, but an important new aspect appeared about 200 years ago: This continent was not the onliest in the world. Facing now external threats from oversea by other peoples, the leaders of both species have overcome their historical hate for each other and started to work together against common enemies...for decades, no internal wars were started between Keidrans and humans and peace supported technological advancement.

And so, in the heat of smelted steel and in the deep, dark coal mines, humans and Keidrans alike work for the new, steam-powered nations and their interracial bosses, while the social unrest is brewing.
And I think those two descendants of Mike and Evals are not an exception...poor fellas being modern wage slaves...
And since I enjoyed drawing this, I will make some more with the same theme in the future when holidays begin. Maybe I will experiment a bit with digital art programs like photoshop to get better results...

Anyways, For a beginner picture, I was pretty satisfied by the outcome, to be honest. Of course drawing with colored crayons does not give the same result as drawing with a professional program on a computer. The anatomy was way more complex to draw than i have thought, and drawing hands is my natural enemy now. D:
The background...well, yeah, I was thinking of a bright portal leading to this dark factory, with a mass of workers in front of it and a huge city in the background...but turned out to be a BIT too complicated right now...so I sticked to finelining and adding some colors instead of focusing on the background and shading.
"Those who lose dreaming are lost." -Aboriginal Proverb

Alec
Citizen

Re: Alec's artistic adventure adress

#2 Post by Alec »

The second drawing for the industrial setting.

This time: Her Majesty's Secret Service, featuring Special Agent Legacy and his loyal compaignon, good ol' Lady Nora.

In a world ruled by economical interest and knowledge, information have become one of the most important, and valuable, ressources. This does not only count for the busy factory owners and Lords, but for the nation itself and their leaders! Therefore, The Empire was in need of a specialized, reliable institution which exactly took care about this concern.
The most promising choice was the former organisation of The Templars. After the devastating 100-year-war in the 5th and 6th century, the order was banned as their corrupted leaders tried to gain full power over the Human Empire by playing both sides, Keidran and Humans, off against each other.
Working in the shadows for centuries, the Templars built a secret organisation of their own in the underground, with many influental connections under cloak names. 10 years ago, they had finally made the risky move to get one of their own in the ranks of the recently founded parliament, which turned out sucessfully. Understanding the changes in these times, the new Imperial Master Agent convinced Her Majesty of the need of such an institution. Under the new name, Her Majesty's Secret Service, the Templars returned to their old side next to royal families, but this time with more deceny and not the Keidrans as their primary target.

One of Trace's offsprings, Sir Thomas Legacy, was born in their ranks and since then, has climed up the career ladder to the top of the organisation. His duties are recon missions, delivering sensitive information via airway and, of course, leading the department of magic in the agency.
Lady Nora is still loyal to Trace's family. Nowadays, she is pretty old, even for a dragon. With her help, countless missions deep inside hostile territory were possible. Though having airships in this new age, her kind is still the fastest one on earth when it comes to flying.

PS: Color and shadows will be added as soon as I feel like it :wink:

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by BadJoke »

It seems the comment section is perfectly working.

I like the first drawing (this pair, and above all "Templar Metalics", that's nice). You will have to work your method about anatomy but the expressions are very good. Also, like you, I find the industrial period very interesting, prolific with possibilities.

Strange nobody commented. In my case I don't look in that section because it's a bit "messy". The forum structure is not made for art "exposition", I prefer to go looking for fan art at DA. (You should try to present your work at a group at Deviant Art. There's some fangroups of TK, it would give more visibility to your work.)

PS:
- "playing both sides"? Yes, it may be, now you're talking about that.
- SS? Doesn't sound that good...
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by EvilNinjadude »

W00t, technology!

Industrial age is really just more historically realistic steampunk, is it? :P

Alec
Citizen

#5 Post by Alec »

BadJoke wrote: Strange nobody commented. In my case I don't look in that section because it's a bit "messy". The forum structure is not made for art "exposition", I prefer to go looking for fan art at DA. (You should try to present your work at a group at Deviant Art. There's some fangroups of TK, it would give more visibility to your work.)
Hm...thank you for the suggestion...I will check that out.
And about the acronym "SS"...it is corrected...did not think about that part :o
EvilNinjadude wrote: Industrial age is really just more historically realistic steampunk, is it? :P
Well, yeah, but even the real industrial designs for clothes and buildings are awesome, even when not being steampunk'ed ^^

Alec
Citizen

#6 Post by Alec »

Something I have been working on a bit during my free time...this time, not "industrial"-related...

After seeing the breakfast scene between Flora, Trace and Maddie on the ship again, this came to my mind since Flora seems to have totally fallen for Maddie...and Trace obvisiously not.

Also, first time I have used paint to color the scanned finelined picture instead of using crayons. (Could have thought about that earlier, duh.)
I was very surprised how long it takes to color a painting digitally...even without adding any shading!
Might take some more practice for that...