Dusting off the old pencil and paper

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

Furasian
Citizen
Location: Down in Florida where we don't participate in the month of december

Dusting off the old pencil and paper

#1 Post by Furasian »

Well with no computer games to burn up my day I decided to pull open a drawer holding my pencil and paper... After an hour of erasing and trying to figure out how to make my lines stick out in an iPod's camera lenses I finally have something drawn together! It isn't amazing since I had no way to upload it other than camera and poor lighting but I hope you all can see it! (I sure need some pointers on how to upload my creations with just paper, I thought about outlining it with a wet-ink pen but Im worried I'd screw up the whole thing... So I outlined a few things.)

Terrible lighting (;_;)
"It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war." (President John F Kennedy)

Every message has a secret, it depends on how valuable that secret is that makes it different from the other secrets.

Braken
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: ..

Re: Dusting off the old pencil and paper

#2 Post by Braken »

Great job in my opinion. I've personally never been able to draw an image with scenery, just the people in it. Kind of odd since it's the other way around for most people :P I have the same issue that you do, the whole how to get good lighting on a picture drawn on paper. I'll tell you what I learned through the few sketches I made and posted:
1. When it comes to lighting, you'll want a lot, so get a lamp and put it close to your paper so that the light is both focused on the image but the area around it as well.
2. Sometimes, depending on angles, your lines will look lighter in light. What I did was carefully go over every line making sure I darkened what needed to be darkened. Careful not to go overboard with shading though.
3. Angle your camera correctly. What I did was put the lamp at the top of my picture and hold the camera at the opposite side at a slight angle. It may have been the paper and pencil that I used, but for me this reduced some glare (but your paper doesn't look like the kind to be too reflective).

OR

Find yourself a scanner, but who has time for that? :P

Here's an example of how I light my sketches (in url form so I don't spam up your thread): Flora x Trace

svmajesie

Re: Dusting off the old pencil and paper

#3 Post by svmajesie »

Braken wrote:Great job in my opinion. I've personally never been able to draw an image with scenery, just the people in it. Kind of odd since it's the other way around for most people :P I have the same issue that you do, the whole how to get good lighting on a picture drawn on paper. I'll tell you what I learned through the few sketches I made and posted:
1. When it comes to lighting, you'll want a lot, so get a lamp and put it close to your paper so that the light is both focused on the image but the area around it as well.
2. Sometimes, depending on angles, your lines will look lighter in light. What I did was carefully go over every line making sure I darkened what needed to be darkened. Careful not to go overboard with shading though.
3. Angle your camera correctly. What I did was put the lamp at the top of my picture and hold the camera at the opposite side at a slight angle. It may have been the paper and pencil that I used, but for me this reduced some glare (but your paper doesn't look like the kind to be too reflective).

OR

Find yourself a scanner, but who has time for that? :P

Here's an example of how I light my sketches (in url form so I don't spam up your thread): Flora x Trace
That's a really good technique for lighting sketches!