Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

DragonTamer1
Apprentice
Location: Filling the skies with burning wreckage from my doomed plane

Dragon Tamer's art thread

#1 Post by DragonTamer1 »

Everyone else is doing it so why not.

It may seem like I'm beating the planes to death but that's the greater extent of what my art is. I make textures for a game, other than that my art is pretty mediocre.

Here's a plane that I made for a friend where I was able to get more creative with my design. He only said he wanted a red Spitfire Mk. VIII with black stripes. This is what I came up with. The character on the tail is his squads logo, the sheep on the front is an inside joke amongst the community (was phased out before I joined but the joke is still there).

I love doing these little joke planes even if they never make it in game. I've been trying to figure out what plane would represent Twokinds characters so I can texture them to look alike.

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Re: Dragon Tamer's art thread

#2 Post by DariusL »

Do you have access to a F4U Corsair model?

DragonTamer1
Apprentice

#3 Post by DragonTamer1 »

ticoun wrote:Do you have access to a F4U Corsair model?
As it happens, I have access to 5 of them.

F4U-1
F4U-1A
F4U-1C
F4U-1D
F4U-4

DragonTamer1
Apprentice

#4 Post by DragonTamer1 »

The film viewer for the game wasn't working, the terrain never showed up on film. I took it upon myself to edit the screen shot to give it a better terrain!

I'm looking for any constructive criticism that can be offered on this one. I don't do this sort of thing a lot but I enjoyed it a lot so I will probably do more.

johny
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by johny »

Nice... Wait 56th FG? is FG Fighter Group? Im actually enlisted in the USAF and stationed in the 56th FW (Fighter Wing)

DragonTamer1
Apprentice

#6 Post by DragonTamer1 »

johny wrote:Nice... Wait 56th FG? is FG Fighter Group? Im actually enlisted in the USAF and stationed in the 56th FW (Fighter Wing)
Yes, FG is Fighter Group. They became the 56th FW after WWII. The squad in game is based on the WWII squad with a collection of guys flying nothing but P-47s.

Edit:
This is what it looked like before editing.

johny
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by johny »

DragonTamer1 wrote:
johny wrote:Nice... Wait 56th FG? is FG Fighter Group? Im actually enlisted in the USAF and stationed in the 56th FW (Fighter Wing)
Yes, FG is Fighter Group. They became the 56th FW after WWII. The squad in game is based on the WWII squad with a collection of guys flying nothing but P-47s.

Edit:
This is what it looked like before editing.

That is awesome! That is actually my unit in the Air Force! Stationed at Luke AFB! I believe they went by Thunderbolts back then? We have F-16's now and soon will have F-35's

DragonTamer1
Apprentice

#8 Post by DragonTamer1 »

Markiplier fan art.

Got bored and decided to do this. It's been on my mind for a while. I did a sketch on paper using pencil first then used Gimp to do everything else.

I plan on going to San Diego for Comicon so I'll probably give Mark the original sketch when I go.

I don't think I've ever heard Mark yell at Wade to shut up, but I saw a comment on one of his videos where everyone was saying it. I had this idea ever since.

Oh yea, I finally used my DA for something!

DragonTamer1
Apprentice

#9 Post by DragonTamer1 »

Finished my texture for He-111P of I./KG4. This was extremely hard to do since there was almost no information about the grouppe, let alone the aircraft that were used. It is known that the grouppe used Ju-88s and He-111s, and that it ran a support mission for ground forces on 10 May 1944. Other than that, there is no information about there missions or aircraft (this is a fairly common thing with the axis powers during the second world war).

This time, I'm including the wing pallet that I used so that there is a reference for what the plane should look like.

I don't know how many people read this or are even interested in my work, but I found a plane that I can make any texture I want for (ie: not limited to historic skins only). I was thinking about doing a live stream to show how I make this but wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in watching.

As always, feedback is welcome.

DragonTamer1
Apprentice

#10 Post by DragonTamer1 »

You guys like comics right?

WARNING!
This is a very large image, if you are on a low end computer or a mobile device I would not recommend viewing it.

http://dragon-tamer-10.deviantart.com/a ... 1395003475

DragonTamer1
Apprentice

#11 Post by DragonTamer1 »

I didn't want to make a whole new thread just for discussing this topic but I'm not really sure if it belongs here either... if someone could tell me if I'm in the wrong that would be great.

So as you can probably tell by some of the things that I've uploaded, I make textures for a video game. I've been getting better and a recent texture that I did taught me a lot about what I can do to make the skins look better. It's also lead me to go over one of my older textures that uses a similar type of texture. The problem I'm having is that when I started trying to edit the old layered image, my editor crashes randomly. It doesn't happen with any other of my files and I can't figure out what is wrong with this one.

The editor in question is GIMP 2.8.

The file size is 2048 x 2048, I don't think this is the cause of the problem thought because the German bomber skins were the same size and actually had more layers and I never had an issue working on them. One of the recent textures I created was only a quarter of the size but had five times as many layers (60 total), and working on it was stressful on the computer (a couple of crashes here and there) but it never happened to the extent that it's happening now.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be and what I can do to fix it?

DragonTamer1
Apprentice

#12 Post by DragonTamer1 »

I haven't posted here in a while even though I've been doing a lot more of these lately. Some of them were not as good as I was hoping they would be (they looked really good at the time). In the future I will fix them so they look the way I think they should look.

Anyway, here are some the best ones out of my most recent batch.

P-47D-23 (skinned as a P-47D-11)
This one was said to be impossible to do because of the way that the textures get stretched around the 3D model. It is impossible to get it perfect but it's not impossible to get something that looks decent. The area that caused the most trouble was the checkered nose (because of said stretching). Even with that challenge, I still managed to get it done in just under 72 hours.

The plane that this is modeled off of flew during the D-Day invasion and had the black and white D-Day stripes painted on the wing and tail. After the landings, it was rubbed off on the upper surfaces (this was common practice). I tried to go for a rubbed off look and I think it came out really well.

This one is just an update to an existing texture that I did. Nothing super special about it or the story behind it.

This one is a story in itself. I'm not going to tell it because it would take too long (and I would hit my character limit) so I'm just going to throw a link up to the story. I recommend reading it, especially if you like history.

http://www.jahitchcock.com/mission/b29.htm

And no, the green windows were not part of the design. That's my graphics cart having a stroke trying to render the high graphics settings.

DragonTamer1
Apprentice

#13 Post by DragonTamer1 »

Wow, been a while since I posted here...

My most recent creation. I tried my best to match the cammo on my version to the original, I think I did a pretty good job. I also adjusted the color of the light that interacts with the specmap from a hard white, to an amber color. I think it makes it look much better when the light reflects off of it. The guy who I look up to in the community (I learned most of what I know by studying his style) actually liked the amber look so much that he's using it on his skins now!

The skin is a Bf-109E-3 (skinned as an E-4) "Rote 1" that belonged to 5./JG52 and was flown by August-Wilhelm Schumann out of Mannheim-Sandhofen, in late 1939. It featured an RLM paint scheme of 70/71/02/65 which was very unusual for Luftwaffe planes at the time.

I can throw my reference photos up here for a side by side comparison if anyone cares.