BaytenSteve's artwork

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: BaytenSteve's artwork

#2 Post by Turaiel »

If you're looking for some constructive criticism, I'd say you should do some research on anatomy, especially in regards to bodily proportions. You should find the body's natural curvature as well. As it stands, your artwork is very blocky, and the torsos are unnecessarily long. The necks are also a bit disproportionate.

That said, it's also important to develop your own style, potentially by studying and adapting the styles of others. Your art is really not that bad. It just needs a little help in the areas I mentioned.
Website Administrator

ConkerBirdy
Templar GrandMaster
Location: On top of a jelly cloud away from the evil monkey zombie ninjas who wield flaming fire swords.

#3 Post by ConkerBirdy »

Turaiel wrote:That said, it's also important to develop your own style, potentially by studying and adapting the styles of others. Your art is really not that bad. It just needs a little help in the areas I mentioned.
Pretty much just this. I started off copying the TwoKinds style but eventually i evolved it into something my own. But for now, I'd say just get used to drawing first before you start changing your style.

Learn the differences between "practice sketches" and "finished drawings", its something a lot of beginner artists dont do. Basically you just draw random stuff to help practice certain things, a lot of them dont get shown at all, they're simply for practicing only. A finished picture is something you plan start to finish and thats usually the ones you upload.

So far its a good start, better than when i started, but avoid drawing mostly front on and try to center your characters and avoid making it tilted (not to be confused with dutch angles). Oh, and a big tip, avoid trying to hide your hands because you're too lazy or its too hard for you to draw, but i dont see you having that problem.

Here is a reference album i did for some friends (The first one being made by me).

Baytensteve
Traveler

#4 Post by Baytensteve »

Thank you very much to the both of you... I completely agree.
Some of the bodily portions you each mentioned were exactly what crossed my mind. Yes, the bodily parts are a bit long, (that I can improve on.)

Same with the hands, its that they are hard to draw, some days I would get them right on. Other days wouldn't be so lucky.

My characters do need proper anatomy, and I am currently working on it ^_^

I'm proud of what I have accomplished so far, but you're both correct. I do need to search for my own style. Its not going to be easy ut it'll come eventually.

Other than that, thanks :) I will definitely keep your tips in mind while I'm drawing.

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by RedDwarfIV »

Two things I don't think have been pointed out; muzzles and ears. Muzzles tend to protrude more, and for mammal anthros, they tend to be at or just under 90*s to the face. There are a lot of side-on views in TwoKinds that should give you something to look at.
As for ears, well, you did it right for the girl in Sketch 13, but the boy's ears look strange. If they are supposed to be round and he is a bear/hyena/[miscellaneous big cat]/other then there are ways you can make it look better.
[I could give more specific ear drawings if you told me what species he is.]
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage

Baytensteve
Traveler

#6 Post by Baytensteve »

RedDwarfIV wrote:Two things I don't think have been pointed out; muzzles and ears. Muzzles tend to protrude more, and for mammal anthros, they tend to be at or just under 90*s to the face. There are a lot of side-on views in TwoKinds that should give you something to look at.
As for ears, well, you did it right for the girl in Sketch 13, but the boy's ears look strange. If they are supposed to be round and he is a bear/hyena/[miscellaneous big cat]/other then there are ways you can make it look better.
[I could give more specific ear drawings if you told me what species he is.]

They both are possums. And thank you!! :) it helped a lot!

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by RedDwarfIV »

Baytensteve wrote:
RedDwarfIV wrote:-snip-

They both are possums. And thank you!! :) it helped a lot!
No problem! I'll see if I can draw a possum anthro. I live in the UK so I've never actually seen a possum before - this will require deft use of Google Image Search.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage