What Should Constitute SFW vs. NSFW?

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

What Should Constitute SFW vs. NSFW?

#1 Post by avwolf »

Okay, so let's have a conversation.

I was actually going to do this in PMs, but my PM list got rather lengthy, so I decided maybe I'd just open it up here. The end goal of this is a formalization of the unspoken rules here. The final decision in any of this will remain with the staff, so this may end up being academic in the end -- we may not use any of these suggestions. But at the very least, maybe this will make things more clear.

Generally speaking there are three "grades" of art recognized by the Art Board and the forum in general. I'll call them SFW, Mature, and Explicit, at least for now.

SFW content can be embedded in posts openly. This work is not supposed to violate any of the forum rules, including obeying the language filter. That said, it also falls under "anything in the comic is fair game," so content that occurs in the comic or is like content that occurs in the comic (even suggestive content or content that would otherwise violate the language filter) is fine to post.

Mature rated work is what this conversation is really going to be about. It is content which, to some extent, violates the forum policy, but the lines between Mature work and Explicit work is somewhat blurry. Mature work must not be embedded, but it is permitted to link to it. Mature work may violate the language filter, and extremely suggestive or violent content is often considered "Mature." Additionally, nudity beyond what you see in the comic (where nothing at all is shown) is at the very least Mature. It sounds like people would be much more comfortable if, ah, bulges qualified as "Mature" as well, probably under the "Vulgar" statute of the forum rules. It's officially defined in the forum rules as "content inappropriate for minors."
-- Edit --
Oh, yes, and such links need to have big red warnings next to them, detailing the content. I'd forgotten that, thank you Gabe.
----------

Explicit work contains explicit sex, nudity, and/or violence (or extreme language). But, if you made it, and you carefully follow some heretofore unwritten rules, you can even post that here. Explicit work must be linked behind some kind of age or acceptance wall. That means, if somebody clicks on that link, they won't just see whatever's there unless they go to another step that says that they understand they're going to see something potentially offensive. We consider links to the submission (the full submission page, not just the image!) on DA and FA to be acceptable in this regard, since those communities require you to flag explicit works, and in order to see such flagged works, one has to have an account, be logged in, and have their account set to see that work.

I know, I know, people don't always follow the rules. I don't always get to look at every single post that gets posted, at least not in a reasonable amount of time. That's why you all get to have that report button. If there's something that makes you feel uncomfortable, report it. That means that a moderator (probably Yash or I) will look at it and make our own judgement call. Feel free to PM your friendly forum mods if something bothers you. We're here to help.

In terms of my own opinion, I don't personally much like Mature-rated (and beyond) commissions being posted. I think Mature work stretches the forum rules, and while I'm okay with that, I'd much rather we be showcasing forumite's own work, rather than stuff they've paid for. I'm totally cool with forumites posting their own Mature artwork, provided they do so within the general bounds of the rules (links, etc...).

I happen to work with nobody able to see what's on my monitor, nobody keeping track of what I do online, and generally a workplace that's pretty cool with me occasionally seeing things that aren't okay at other workplaces. I'm old and jaded, and have stared into that abyss for a long while. Before I was a moderator, many of my friends among the other forumites were always pushing the line of what was acceptable to have as avatars and signatures. So that leaves me in a place where maybe I'm not always the best judge of where these lines are. Unless there's something obvious, I'm generally just happy to let stuff slide. I don't have especially delicate sensibilities, and things that might make other people uncomfortable often don't really bother me. The point of this thread is so that I can understand what makes everyone else uncomfortable, so that we can all enjoy the forum together.

tldr; Let's have a chat about what constitutes NSFW content, so that you can be happy with how the moderators enforce the slightly skewed rules of the Art Board!

leoian
Banned
Banned

Re: What Should Constitute SFW vs. NSFW?

#2 Post by leoian »

Thanks Av, now they can see and understand what can be safe or not.

I could add Any "disney" nude is considered as SFW.
:flora:

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Croatia, the land of many islands (or so I have been told)

#3 Post by LuckyMudman »

I've seen a lot of things so far and very little phases me nowadays, so it's more of a courtesy to others than anything else from me.

On the topic of "bulges", I believe the term "more is less" is appropriate here, since when furries are drawn nude it's mostly smooth fur covering the explicit parts, leading to a ken doll physiology. Tight fitting clothes on the other hand are actually more revealing in this case.

But it could be just me.
Gabriel of creosha wrote:Far cry 3 Weed burner simulator 2012
Souls Of The Wild: A short story I'm writing, inspired by TwoKinds and Sword Of Truth.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#4 Post by Envy661 »

Uhh.... Is there a Tl;Dr version?
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by Stryder221 »

Envy661 wrote:Uhh.... Is there a Tl;Dr version?
avwolf wrote:tldr; Let's have a chat about what constitutes NSFW content, so that you can be happy with how the moderators enforce the slightly skewed rules of the Art Board!
There you go. :wink:
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Well, you already know how I define NSFW. I basically take it literally and go from there, though it's subjective to an extent.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#7 Post by Envy661 »

I've never really seen any bad moderating on the Art Board. It's Typically the Yash-controlled Boards that I don't even visit anymore because of... Various reasons...
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by SirSlaughter »

Well I say the art board is pretty chillaxed. Not in a bad way at all. Mostly due to the fact that everyone for the most part follows the rules to a "T"...Most. And for those who slip up it's a simple "don't put behind a spoiler, link it" kind of comment.

But as for NSFW:

Let's look at this from a regular run of the mill job viewpoint. What's in the comment is ok due mostly to the fact that the most risque scenes are far and few within the comment.
Most of it's in the earlier chapters anyway. But when you start drawing them in VERY (note how I said VERY not somewhat) provocative positions or show bits, bulges, holes, and foreign objects (whether they be physical items or liquids not meant to be outside the body in SFW material) then you have an issue.
And truth be told how hard is it just to link the darn picture? It's Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V. So easy right?

To go through the trouble of trying to bypass the rules or filters by using either a spoiler or putting an IMG bracket around it just makes no sense to me. It's like you're saying [censored] you I'm going to try harder to not listen to you than think to yourself "Ok, you made sense, Let me just fix that real quick".

But that's just my take on the subject. Take it as you wish. (though no one was targeted nor meant to be offended by this post...just in case.)

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#9 Post by Envy661 »

Gabriel of creosha wrote:I agree with slaughter.
Linking images is easy.
I try my best to link any NSFW stuff I post, and even arguably SFW stuff.
I do my best to avoid posting anything kinky in the slightest, and whe I do I always give nice big red letters saying something Like;
WARNING: NSFW. Cheeseburgers and partial nudity.
Then again, diffrent upbringings result in differed opinions, and what I see as NSFW may be SFW to someone else.
Would My NinaxLynx 5-page Hentai short I plan on making be NSFW?
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by avwolf »

Gabriel of creosha wrote:Then again, diffrent upbringings result in differed opinions, and what I see as NSFW may be SFW to someone else.
Right, that's why I've posed the question. I'd like to come to an understanding of what we, as a community, would like to consider "NSFW." For instance, I know Tiny Voices and RedDwarf (no offense meant, fellas), and I all have different comfort zones for content. I'd like to come to a consensus of what should be at least minimal enforcement. We probably will not maximally enforce what makes people comfortable, but I feel that some kind of understanding of what to expect would help everyone.

If artists and users have a firm grasp of what the board considers appropriate content, then I and other moderators need to be involved less (from an administrative duties standpoint), artists are less frustrated, and users can be more comfortable.
Envy661 wrote:Would My NinaxLynx 5-page Hentai short I plan on making be NSFW?
*laugh* You're right, Envy, maybe the guideline should be "If you have to ask..." :P

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#11 Post by Envy661 »

avwolf wrote:
Gabriel of creosha wrote:Then again, diffrent upbringings result in differed opinions, and what I see as NSFW may be SFW to someone else.
Right, that's why I've posed the question. I'd like to come to an understanding of what we, as a community, would like to consider "NSFW." For instance, I know Tiny Voices and RedDwarf (no offense meant, fellas), and I all have different comfort zones for content. I'd like to come to a consensus of what should be at least minimal enforcement. We probably will not maximally enforce what makes people comfortable, but I feel that some kind of understanding of what to expect would help everyone.

If artists and users have a firm grasp of what the board considers appropriate content, then I and other moderators need to be involved less (from an administrative duties standpoint), artists are less frustrated, and users can be more comfortable.
Envy661 wrote:Would My NinaxLynx 5-page Hentai short I plan on making be NSFW?
*laugh* You're right, Envy, maybe the guideline should be "If you have to ask..." :P
AvWolf, one of these days, we need to bring you into the Skype Chat, with me, Tygron, Gabe, Jay-Say, SirSlaughter, Lief, and a few others.

On topic though... I have no real discussion to bring into this topic other than to say, If you have NSFW, just put NSFW in the title of your thread. If they don't want to see it, they don't have to click it. Or they would know not to go there in a public place, at least.

Honestly, I think people try too hard to put rules in place to just limit everything and anything. But I will say, it's not as though I don't understand/ Twokinds has vast differences in the age demographic on these forums. What is acceptable to be put up for an adult such as myself may not be suitable for some of the Younggins like CJ or Gabe.... From a legal perspective, at least. In accordance with Bi-laws and all that legal mumbo jumbo.

At the same time though... I'm Envy, and I don't care about anything.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#12 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Envy661 wrote:At the same time though... I'm Envy, and I don't care about anything.
Me neither. I just acknowledge that other people might, and respect that fact enough to take that into account when expressing my opinions.

And I'm pretty sure you do too, to an extent. Hi there.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#13 Post by Envy661 »

EvilNinjadude wrote:
Envy661 wrote:At the same time though... I'm Envy, and I don't care about anything.
Me neither. I just acknowledge that other people might, and respect that fact enough to take that into account when expressing my opinions.

And I'm pretty sure you do too, to an extent. Hi there.
Opinions ftw, Secretive Text man.
And no. I care legitimately about nothing... Save for 2 things, and both of them are people. Everything else can go fly on the magical unicorn to happyville and die miserably, because everyone knows Happyville is Satan's workshop of evil Munchkins.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Envy661 wrote:... Satan's workshop of evil Munchkins.
Are they the gaming type or the Oz type?

Cuz I really do dislike the gaming kind more

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#15 Post by Envy661 »

EvilNinjadude wrote:
Envy661 wrote:... Satan's workshop of evil Munchkins.
Are they the gaming type or the Oz type?

Cuz I really do dislike the gaming kind more
They're the fat Mexican version of Santa's Little Helpers. Not to be confused with actual Mexicans. They are their own race and species.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq