HV's ART and messabouts (teaching highschoolers to fly jets)

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

HV-FSAPDS
Master

HV's ART and messabouts (teaching highschoolers to fly jets)

#1 Post by HV-FSAPDS »

Made the following using GIMP, DXTBMP, Microsoft FSX, Flight 1's ATR 72-500 and its repaint kit, as well as F1 Text-o-Matic.
Let's just say Mike and Evals did something extraordinarily notable in the future and a few centuries later some Keidran decided to name a charity foundation after them. I made up the registration prefix KD for some future independent Keidran state.

The following was made with the same software except it was a repaint of Aerosim's Boeing 787-8 and no auto mipmaps processing was used.

So what should I paint next, any suggestions? I can now also paint the B777, F-111 and maybe C-17.

Thank you.

Edit: just found out how to switch the angry birds characters in the angry birds game with other images like tanks, planes or TK characters. Gonna post a video soon.

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

Re: HV's ART

#2 Post by RedDwarfIV »

Awesome. I really like what you did with the ATR.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage

HV-FSAPDS
Master

Re: HV's ART and messabouts

#3 Post by HV-FSAPDS »

Another M&E foundation repaint:

And an Infographic I made for an ICT project this october:

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

Re: HV's ART and messabouts.

#4 Post by RedDwarfIV »

Really rather interesting.

We were talking about air crash incidents in Mechanical Technology today.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage

HV-FSAPDS
Master

Airbus A320 vs Boeing 737 drag race

#5 Post by HV-FSAPDS »

These are my very first Youtube uploads. A drag race between the Airbus A320-200 and the Boeing 737-800 filmed in Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Both aircraft were loaded to their maximum zero fuel weight limits and both of them are filled up to 20% fuel capacity. End of runway marks the finish line. It's French engineering versus American engineering! Enjoy.

Video from B737's cockpit view
Video from B737's exterior view
Video from A320's cockpit view
Video from A320's exterior view

Edit: for best quality and viewability, use downloadhelper to download the 720p or 1080p versions.

HV-FSAPDS
Master

Su-27 pulls the Pugachev's Cobra on a F-22

#6 Post by HV-FSAPDS »

Sukhoi Su-27SKM pulls the maneuver Pugachev's Cobra on a Lockheed F-22A Raptor, causing the F-22 to overshoot.

This time i have downloaded Windows Movie Maker and compiled multiple views and perspectives into one 2-minute video. Enjoy.

Video without music
Video with music 'Enae Volare' (Recommended)

It did take me some time to learn how to perform the maneuver and then recover from it to normal flight. A few previous attempts saw me stalling out completely and plunging into the Antarctic waters below.
Thanks for watching.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Su-27 pulls the Pugachev's Cobra on a F-22

#7 Post by EvilNinjadude »

HV-FSAPDS wrote:Video without music
I am German and I approve of this option.

I am also very lazy.

leoian
Banned
Banned

Re: HV's ART and messabouts (new video Su-27 vs F-22!)

#8 Post by leoian »

Nices one
:flora:

HV-FSAPDS
Master

Re: HV's ART and messabouts (another new video; MD-81 dive!)

#9 Post by HV-FSAPDS »

Saw the movie Flight (2012) yesterday.
Today, I recreated the flight in the Movie in FSX, starting with the horizontal stabilizer failure that caused the initial dive, followed by an 180' roll to slow the dive, followed by an engine fire and then a safe landing (the plane in the movie crashed, and there are lots of differences between the variables in the movie and the ones in the FSX replicated flight). In FSX, the horizontal stabilizer failure is simulated by trimming it to the full down position. Note that the movie got it wrong; the jackscrew in the T-tail actuates the entire horizontal stabilizer and not the elevator panels; the elevator is actuated by cables connected to the control yoke so there is still some working pitch control even with a total horizontal stabilizer trim failure.

Watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgGQIDt3N1c

Enjoy.

HV-FSAPDS
Master

Re: HV's ART and messabouts (Starting on some digital art)

#10 Post by HV-FSAPDS »

Well, not too bad for the first two attempts don't you think?
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/ ... 5wxtk4.png
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/ ... 5x4yce.png
All the above pictures were drawn and rendered using GIMP.
Credits go to Corrvo on dA for coming up with the concept of this form of anthropomorphized birds.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

Re: HV's ART and messabouts (Starting on some digital art)

#11 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Looks great. The Saelyn pun is nice too. I wasn't sure it was an S, so I did some good ol' URL dragging.

HV-FSAPDS
Master

#12 Post by HV-FSAPDS »

Really got to experiment with ambient lighting and objects highlighting with this one.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by EvilNinjadude »

HV-FSAPDS wrote:Really got to experiment with ambient lighting and objects highlighting with this one.
Hmm
*thinks for a while*

For the brightness of the Flash itself, the one cast on the ground looks too much like its own source of light and not enough like a reflection. Considering the inverse square law and the scale of the whole thing, I'd say the patch of light below the gun is too bright for its size and changes brightness too rapidly moving in a horizontal direction. Yes/No?

HV-FSAPDS
Master

#14 Post by HV-FSAPDS »

EvilNinjadude wrote:
HV-FSAPDS wrote:Really got to experiment with ambient lighting and objects highlighting with this one.
Hmm
*thinks for a while*

For the brightness of the Flash itself, the one cast on the ground looks too much like its own source of light and not enough like a reflection. Considering the inverse square law and the scale of the whole thing, I'd say the patch of light below the gun is too bright for its size and changes brightness too rapidly moving in a horizontal direction. Yes/No?
The reflection of the muzzle flash on the grey ground is made to be in a high eccentricity elliptical shape to add a sense of perspective to it. And take note that all computer monitors/ artificial image rendering devices can only output light within a limited range of luminous intensity. The monitor will only display luminous objects with a Candela value higher than its maximum output in a luminous intensity reduced to its maximum output; therefore the brightness of separate distinct bright objects will appear to be congruent to one another, despite being vastly different in their actual luminous intensities in reality.

And I have thought about this before; initially the layer which the reflections of both the tracer and the muzzle flash on the ground were put on was set to a reduced opacity. In addition to that, I also overlayed the reflections layer with another translucent layer with lots of miniature supersampled dark dots to help better blend the reduced intensity reflections into the floor environment. The result was not satisfactory; the reflections were too dark and barely perceptible. I tried reducing the opacity of the overlay layer, and increasing that of the reflections layer; but the result still turned out to be too cheesy. So I trashed the idea, deleted the overlay layer, restored the reflections layer to full opacity, saved the xcf file, and called it a day.

And also, you should know that common cartridge propellants do not produce that kind of a ridiculous muzzle flash. While common propellants like smokeless powder, Trinitrotoluene and Hexogen RDX explosives do produce a fireball, those explosives' high detonation velocity means that the chemical reactions that create the fireball will not continue for long enough to produce a flash noticeable to the Human occipital complex with its low flicker fusion rate of only 18Hz. Even if you are lucky enough to have caught the fireball in your eye while your visual processing complexes are taking a "snapshot", it will immediately be blended out with the subsequent 'frames' and thus mitigating the intensity of the very brief flash to an unnoticeable level.

Lesson: Most stuff online is BS, even if it comes from me. So do not believe everything you see online is true to reality.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#15 Post by EvilNinjadude »

HV-FSAPDS wrote:
EvilNinjadude wrote:
Hmm
*thinks for a while*

The reflection of the muzzle flash on the grey ground is made to be in a high eccentricity elliptical shape to add a sense of perspective to it. And take note that all computer monitors/ artificial image rendering devices can only output light within a limited range of luminous intensity. The monitor will only display luminous objects with a Candela value higher than its maximum output in a luminous intensity reduced to its maximum output; therefore the brightness of separate distinct bright objects will appear to be congruent to one another, despite being vastly different in their actual luminous intensities in reality.

And I have thought about this before; initially the layer which the reflections of both the tracer and the muzzle flash on the ground were put on was set to a reduced opacity. In addition to that, I also overlayed the reflections layer with another translucent layer with lots of miniature supersampled dark dots to help better blend the reduced intensity reflections into the floor environment. The result was not satisfactory; the reflections were too dark and barely perceptible. I tried reducing the opacity of the overlay layer, and increasing that of the reflections layer; but the result still turned out to be too cheesy. So I trashed the idea, deleted the overlay layer, restored the reflections layer to full opacity, saved the xcf file, and called it a day.

And also, you should know that common cartridge propellants do not produce that kind of a ridiculous muzzle flash. While common propellants like smokeless powder, Trinitrotoluene and Hexogen RDX explosives do produce a fireball, those explosives' high detonation velocity means that the chemical reactions that create the fireball will not continue for long enough to produce a flash noticeable to the Human occipital complex with its low flicker fusion rate of only 18Hz. Even if you are lucky enough to have caught the fireball in your eye while your visual processing complexes are taking a "snapshot", it will immediately be blended out with the subsequent 'frames' and thus mitigating the intensity of the very brief flash to an unnoticeable level.

Lesson: Most stuff online is BS, even if it comes from me. So do not believe everything you see online is true to reality.
At least I was partially right, as I gather from the 70% of your response I managed to comprehend. Serves me right for trying to have a sophisticated conversation with you :P
(Note: Most of the stuff I did NOT understand completely is related to image editing, which I have no experience with. So for example I know what opacity is, but I can't picture the effects of adjusting it on a layer with the flash on it)

In response to first paragraph: It's not as much about how much less bright the reflection is meant to be (though adjusting the overall brightness would be possible, making overbright areas bright, bright areas medium and dark areas darker) but about how the light changes TOO MUCH. If you hold a 6-LED light to a wall, you see 6 small circles of light. If you move away, you see one (less bright) larger, diffuse circle on the wall, where the brightness in a large part of the circle is actually the same. (As another example, just because we on earth can blot out the sun with our hand doesn't mean there's a hand-shaped spot on the center of the earth where the sun is brightest.) May sound obvious now, but that's what I was saying about your picture

In response to last paragraph: Yeah, I'd always wondered why there'd be a bright flash at the end of a barrel with light going off in every direction, as we often see in games.

Lastly, I've heard a ton about the "30FPS smoothness" argument on the internet about Video Games. Also read a corresponding webpage, so my thought is: While we can hardly see an individual flash, the additional light it produces does make a difference, especially if that flash occurs repeatedly. Is this correct?