I'm a little surprised how well this turned out.

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

Re: I'm a little surprised how well this turned out.

#16 Post by Twippit »

The TraceXFlora shot was really good, but as for the Flora pic, you may want to consider using guidelines to keep those eyes symmetrical. Also, despite the fact that yes, this is manga eyes we're talking about here, there is a limit to how big the eyes should be. To be quite frank, you've cranked the eye size all the way up to ZOMYGOODNESSTHEYSTAREINTOMYSOUL. Generally, most artists try to avoid that. But to each his own.

I really really like that TraceXFlora pic though. Dang. It's really good. *Slightly jealous
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

Braken
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: ..

#17 Post by Braken »

Twippit wrote:The TraceXFlora shot was really good, but as for the Flora pic, you may want to consider using guidelines to keep those eyes symmetrical. Also, despite the fact that yes, this is manga eyes we're talking about here, there is a limit to how big the eyes should be. To be quite frank, you've cranked the eye size all the way up to ZOMYGOODNESSTHEYSTAREINTOMYSOUL. Generally, most artists try to avoid that. But to each his own.

I really really like that TraceXFlora pic though. Dang. It's really good. *Slightly jealous
Thanks for the honest opinion. I know the one of Flora has it's flaws. The reason I never sketched in the past is because I have such a hard time with eyes. These are the only two sketches I've ever made.

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#18 Post by RedDwarfIV »

Because you said you have a problem with eyes, try to remember this: Eyes are roughly as far apart from each other as they are wide. I don't claim to stick to this rule much myself, but it's realistic.

The biggest problem I see with the eyes you drew is that they are not the same shape. Again, my way of doing art isn't very relevant to you [I would draw one eye, scan it in, then mirror it to get the right shape], but if you have tracing or thin paper, you could draw over one eye, flip the trace over, and draw the other eye using the traced eye as a guide.

Other than that, there is nothing that is not trivial to complain about, so for a first sketch I say well done.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage

Braken
Merchant

#19 Post by Braken »

RedDwarfIV wrote:Because you said you have a problem with eyes, try to remember this: Eyes are roughly as far apart from each other as they are wide. I don't claim to stick to this rule much myself, but it's realistic.

The biggest problem I see with the eyes you drew is that they are not the same shape. Again, my way of doing art isn't very relevant to you [I would draw one eye, scan it in, then mirror it to get the right shape], but if you have tracing or thin paper, you could draw over one eye, flip the trace over, and draw the other eye using the traced eye as a guide.

Other than that, there is nothing that is not trivial to complain about, so for a first sketch I say well done.
Thanks for the advice. I tried drawing and eye on a separate sheet of paper and then using a method where I put the paper on the drawing and going over it to make and indent, however I ran into a few complications. Such as the tracing paper was too thick, the eyes were mirror images (except the centers) so flipping the paper made it harder to find the right spot, and I couldn't scale them correctly when they were on a seperate sheet of paper, so that's why they're a little big. I'll keep your advice in mind in the future, thanks.

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#20 Post by RedDwarfIV »

No problem.

I have other tricks I've gathered for drawing if you ever feel you need them.

Also, was that a die saying 'umad?' in your drawing?
ImageImageImage

Braken
Merchant

#21 Post by Braken »

RedDwarfIV wrote:No problem.

I have other tricks I've gathered for drawing if you ever feel you need them.

Also, was that a die saying 'umad?' in your drawing?
No, it was supposed to be a moon. When I drew it, I knew someone would ask that haha. I was going to erase it but I decided not to. I probably should've drawn a few mountains on it.

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#22 Post by RedDwarfIV »

"I'm squarising our orbit, Commander."

Tis' an amusing drawing.
ImageImageImage

Braken
Merchant

#23 Post by Braken »

RedDwarfIV wrote:"I'm squarising our orbit, Commander."

Tis' an amusing drawing.
Haha thank you :grin:

Braken
Merchant

#24 Post by Braken »

Alright, well I'm going to start another sketch today. It's another one of Flora and Trace. I was hoping someone could give me a little advice. Like where to start, where to end, and how to keep my proportions right.

I was thinking I'd start with Trace's head, then work my way down and finish him, except his left shoulder where Flora's hair is. Then I'd go back and start drawing Flora, starting with Trace's shoulder and her hair. Then her head, and work my way down. This is the easiest way that I can see. Anyone see another way?

Braken
Merchant

#25 Post by Braken »

Decided to make my own character. He isn't a specific type of animal, there are a few possibilities. He has no name, and yes, there are a lot of flaws with the sketch, but it's the first time I've done something without a picture to go from. I'll continue to edit him every once in awhile.

*removed

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

Re: My first sketch

#26 Post by TheDragonfiend »

JakeMnZ wrote:
ticoun wrote:Not bad at all! The first sketch is always the roughest, then with the next ones you gather experience and it all smooths out.
Thanks :) This took me along time to do haha. I've tried sketching before, but I always quit because I have a lot of trouble with the eyes for some reason. I spent most of the time sketching this trying to get the eyes to look good. I'm going to try sketching her profile next.
Thats where the problem lies if you try to make the picture perfect "Oh ill just change this line... oh now this one looks weird better change that" it all goes to crap eventually... i should know thats why i keep dropping art and picking it back up again... because i have Some skill but im way to picky about my art.
ImageImageImage

Braken
Merchant

Re: My first sketch

#27 Post by Braken »

TheDragonfiend wrote:
JakeMnZ wrote:
ticoun wrote:Not bad at all! The first sketch is always the roughest, then with the next ones you gather experience and it all smooths out.
Thanks :) This took me along time to do haha. I've tried sketching before, but I always quit because I have a lot of trouble with the eyes for some reason. I spent most of the time sketching this trying to get the eyes to look good. I'm going to try sketching her profile next.
Thats where the problem lies if you try to make the picture perfect "Oh ill just change this line... oh now this one looks weird better change that" it all goes to crap eventually... i should know thats why i keep dropping art and picking it back up again... because i have Some skill but im way to picky about my art.
You just perfectly described me haha. Oh my goodness, I'll sit there for 20 minutes just working on one small detail because the proportion I drew it as was slightly off.

leoian
Banned
Banned

#28 Post by leoian »

Maybe the muzzle is a little too long :)
:flora:

Braken
Merchant

#29 Post by Braken »

Not really a necro-post if it's my own art thread, right? :mrgreen:

Anyways, I've been repainting my guitar and I'd thought I'd share it. It's not exactly what I had pictured in my mind, but it still looks nice to me.
*Ignore the glare, I had to hold a light right over it to get proper lighting in my dark room, I'll maybe post more pictures tomorrow with much better quality if anyone is interested.