Chaosye's Learning to Draw! (8/23/14, Assorted Animations)

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

Chaosye
Grand Templar

Chaosye's Learning to Draw! (8/23/14, Assorted Animations)

#1 Post by Chaosye »

Lately I've been trying my hand at learning how to draw (again), and I figured I should be sharing some of my sketches for criticism. If you criticize, thank you, the more the better! Right now I'm trying to figure out how to draw out proper anatomy, so if anyone has some good sources for figuring that out, I'd love it if you could tell me.

Here's a couple sketches from the sketchbook that I've started using:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Keaoden, The hidden
Grand Templar

Re: Chaosye's Learning to Draw! (6/20)

#2 Post by Keaoden, The hidden »

You're anatomy is quite good, though the lizard girl seems really skinny.
The knight with the pose with one foot up on the stool is really good, if you are looking for tutorials on anatomy check Da.
There are few good ones there.
TwoKinds Forum resident emo.
My Deviant Art
MyTumblr
My Youtube
Sage Asuka wrote: :D~ elves.....
R.I.P Lohti. A True Hero

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Chaosye »

Keaoden, The hidden wrote:You're anatomy is quite good, though the lizard girl seems really skinny.
The knight with the pose with one foot up on the stool is really good, if you are looking for tutorials on anatomy check Da.
There are few good ones there.
Thanks! I do feel like the knight posing does have a couple issues though, mostly involving his left hand. I can't quite figure out how to do foreshortening on unsymmetrical things like arms or hands. I also have a pretty big issue on heads, hence why none of these pictures really have a 'normal' head with eyes and hair and such.

I also just found that giant collection of art tutorials stickied up on this board. Wish I saw that sooner.

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Chaosye »

Head practice!

Star Control 2 fanart!

And a little drawing of my RP character in rebelshrub's RP! (I actually like this one; makes me feel like I'm starting to understand how a head looks.)

Chaosye
Grand Templar

Re: Chaosye's Learning to Draw! (7/12: Lizard Cowboys!)

#5 Post by Chaosye »

My brother finally gave me back my tablet after borrowing it for about a year, and I wanted to warm up with a drawing of my character for the ESSENCE RP that's going on! A Lizard cowboy!

The gun definitely looks funky, but I wasn't all to sure how to fix it, although I'm thinking I just didn't make it anywhere near as uniform as it should be.

Any critique would be great!

Chaosye
Grand Templar

Re: Chaosye's Learning to Draw! (7/13: Klev and Klev!)

#6 Post by Chaosye »

Decided to draw that character again.

First time I've used highlights on something that isn't a geometric object. If something looks really funky and I didn't notice it, please tell me!
Also the first time I've used textures/patterns.
Also first time drawing chibi.
So many damn firsts!

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#7 Post by DariusL »

That one looks great! I like the knight a lot too.
Keep up the good work!

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Chaosye »

Gabriel of creosha wrote:Nice drawing man. Only thing that looks odd is the roch he's smoking. I'd expect a larger cigarrete normally, but otherwise I like it.
Thanks! I was going for one of those small, Man With No Name-esque smokes, but I guess I didn't really look at the reference close enough; thought it was a lot smaller than it really was, I guess. Whoops!
ticoun wrote:That one looks great! I like the knight a lot too.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks, you too!
Your photos are awesome!

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#9 Post by Twippit »

I'm likin' your stuff, mate; especially that illithid. Great work; I can never seem to get the tentacles right when I drew 'em. Good work, sir :)

EDIT: Honestly, I'm just really really happy to see an illithid and the crest of Heironious, especially here of all places. It's not often I see DnD references hangin' out and about.

...But why would an illithid be armed, and holding a shield of Heironious in the first place...?
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Chaosye »

Twippit wrote:...But why would an illithid be armed, and holding a shield of Heironious in the first place...?
Ah, that's a long story.
That's my character in one of my friend's semi-serious DnD campaigns. Felt like being an illithid paladin and the DM said I had to write a backstory in order to be something that strange.

So I wrote one that's ten pages long.
General gist of it, though, is that an illithid stuck the tadpole through the wrong hole (human anatomy was not his forte) and made a half-illithid that ended up getting adopted by a priest of Heironeous to become a tool to spread Heironeous's prevalence.

It's not that well-written, but I had fun writing it!

Keaoden, The hidden
Grand Templar

#11 Post by Keaoden, The hidden »

The lizard cowboy is really good, great detail on the clothing and on his scales.
Though the guns look a little odd, like the grip he has on them is too rigid, in the second one the gun seems to be really small compared to his hand.
You really have the lizard have the lizard head anatomy down, looks very good. For your first time using textures it looks good.
What do you use for software to color these?
My Deviant Art
MyTumblr
My Youtube
R.I.P Lohti. A True Hero

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#12 Post by Chaosye »

Thanks! I do everything with Paint Tool SAI; it's sort of like an easier Photoshop. Doesn't have as many features as Photoshop, but it's a whole lot simpler to use, and I'm not really at the level where I need all those special features yet.

And yeah, in the second picture I messed up the hand's angle and shape a lot. When I originally made it, I accidentally made it really tiny, like a midget's hand, so I was lazy and warped it out instead of redrawing it. Big mistake.

I only used a copy-paste texture for the vest; took a while to hand-draw all those scales but it makes it look pretty nice.

Chaosye
Grand Templar

Re: Chaosye's Learning to Draw! (7/15: Darser's Bad Day)

#13 Post by Chaosye »

Drew another RP character of mine: Darser Tain! This is what I'm guessing is going to end up happening in that RP pretty soon.
URL to DA is the image.

This one I'm not all that proud of. I did a whole lot of experimentation and elements I haven't used before here, mostly with the lighting and the shadows. I need to get a much better grasp on those. The background is also pretty bad; need a lot more practice there. Not to mention how flat he looks, I really need to learn how to show form a lot better.

I do like how the cannon-fire and the glass look, though.

If you want to critique, please do! Most of the stuff I did in this one I'm new to, and I could use a little guidance.

Keaoden, The hidden
Grand Templar

Re: Chaosye's Learning to Draw! (7/15: Darser Had A Bad Fall

#14 Post by Keaoden, The hidden »

This looks good, a little static for a falling action shot but still good. I can tell what is going on easily enough and his pose look appropriate for the scene. You are coming along quite nicely with your work Chaosye.

The background is simple but still good, the gradient shading you used gets the point across.
Don't try too many new things at once, just nudge yourself forward with each piece.
Right now it looks to me that you are still new but willing to learn and push yourself.
Give it a few years of work and I can see you coming to the level of SageAsuka or Neko
My Deviant Art
MyTumblr
My Youtube
R.I.P Lohti. A True Hero

Chaosye
Grand Templar

Re: Chaosye's Learning to Draw! (7/15: Darser Had A Bad Fall

#15 Post by Chaosye »

Thanks, man!

I was kind of just throwing everything at the wall for this one; wanted to see what sticks and what falls off into a horrible, goopy mess, you know?

Right now I need to focus on lighting and shading, and some proportion while I'm at that. I think before I really go and tackle backgrounds I need to understand lighting a lot better.

Velocity I have really no clue how to improve on, though. Only ideas I've got is using blur, but that seems a bit too easy.