Twippit’s Webcomic (need a partner)

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

Twippit’s Webcomic (need a partner)

#1 Post by Twippit »

So I’ve been working on this story, and I’m intending to make it into a webcomic, but as I am not a very good illustrator, I need an artist. I could do it myself (I suppose I’m ~passable~ as an artist), but above and beyond an artist, I’d like to have someone to bounce ideas off of. Really what I’m looking for is a partner of sorts. I’ve got the basis for what I think is a compelling story, a domain name, and some money to start us off. I hope to make money off advertising, so we’ll come up with some agreement on how to split any profit (I’m good with 50/50). If anybody’s interested, PM me or reply here, and include some drawing or sample to let me know what your style looks like. I’ll get back to you on it :)

As for the story, I don’t want to give away everything and ruin it, but the basic idea is this: A high-fantasy world came in contact with ours in ’91, and now power has re-adjusted in some interesting ways; now a rag-tag group fights the oppressive new society they’ve been put in. Yeah, yeah, mages goblins elves included, and a good portion is very cliché, but a lot of it is still up to definition to allow for the partner’s influence. Again, please PM me or reply in this thread.
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

rebelshrub
Council Member

Re: Twippit’s Webcomic (need a partner)

#2 Post by rebelshrub »

Now im not much of an artist, and not much of a partner, but I think I might know a couple people who could help you, if they are interested, Ill send them this way, how does that sound?

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#3 Post by Twippit »

That's so funny... Just yesterday I found an artist IRL who was said he'd partner with me. It was pretty much the happiest moment of my life; and I wasn't near a computer at the time to take this down.

Thanks anyway though, Rebel; you're a pal. :D
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

rebelshrub
Council Member

#4 Post by rebelshrub »

OMG Yay, Im so happy for you, its actually better this way. The person I was thinking of is busy with another comic....

Twippit when you start the comic and start showing it to the public, would you pmme a link or something?

Twippit
Grand Templar

#5 Post by Twippit »

Yeah, I'll probably post a link here or in a new thread when it gets all set up. Man, I'm excited. Woo-hoo!

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#6 Post by Nuff »

Ah the writer searching an artist. Many years it took me, so many years...

I shall give you some handy advice my friend. Getting an artist who is willing to commit to a frequently updated comic is an absolute nightmare and extremely unlikely if you are not commissioning them to do so. Rates on comic pages are also very high due to the amount of work they take so unless you have a steady stream of expendable income it is not an option.

Getting someone to fully commit to something that isn't their work directly (without incentive) is very hard, so I can understand you wanting them to become a full partner and thus have a lot more invested in the project as a whole. If that is the case then you must spill all the beans on the plot to the artist you get on board, or even use it as a pitch to the artist. If you want them to invest their time you must convince them it is worth their time in the first place.

A good thing to let your potential artists know is the durration of the comic. How many pages are you going to want for the project to be finished? It'll let them know how long they will be tied to the project and allows them to consider if they have the time and drive to be committed for the entire durration. I've had two comics myself die purely because the artist dropped out of doing it after losing interest.

Another question worth answering is how often will it update? Once a week? twice a week? This all factors into how long they will be tied to the project (they will get through the page quota quicker if it updates more frequently) and tells them how much free time they will get to do other things (more pages a week means less free tiome for them).

As for making money from advertising, it's incredibly difficult to do so unless you have an established comic and that doesn't happen until you are about 4-6 years down the line. So this unfortunately isn't an incentive to the artist who will have to wait a long time to see the fruits of his/her labour.

If you are considering advertising your own comic to drum up interest in it make sure you hold out until you have enough content for it to be worth peoples time. This is up to you (depends a little on how quickly a story progresses) but a good guideline is 50 pages. It gives people enough of a read for them to get into it and start wanting more.

Hopefully that sounded less like a lecture and more like some helpful notes :P

Twippit
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Twippit »

Nuff wrote:Ah the writer searching an artist. Many years it took me, so many years...

I shall give you some handy advice my friend. Getting an artist who is willing to commit to a frequently updated comic is an absolute nightmare and extremely unlikely if you are not commissioning them to do so. Rates on comic pages are also very high due to the amount of work they take so unless you have a steady stream of expendable income it is not an option.
Yeah, I’m not actually commissioning this guy... He’s actually sortof a miracle, really, though, because he’s in it for the same kind of reason I am; to get money and get his name out there.
We’re hoping on getting advertising money. Hoping. While we work jobs on the side, most likely.
Nuff wrote:Getting someone to fully commit to something that isn't their work directly (without incentive) is very hard, so I can understand you wanting them to become a full partner and thus have a lot more invested in the project as a whole. If that is the case then you must spill all the beans on the plot to the artist you get on board, or even use it as a pitch to the artist. If you want them to invest their time you must convince them it is worth their time in the first place.
Funny you mention that, because that’s exactly what I did. I walked up to the guy (we were already acquaintances) and asked him if he was currently working on any comic-type projects. He hesitated, but said no, which was what I was hoping for. So I spilled the whole plot as far as I had it, set down my notes and concept art in front of him, and he looked at it and said he’d love to. Then when I mentioned I had a URL, he asked if there might maybe be room for a ...secondary comic. I asked him to explain, and so he spills this even better story concept to me, and I’m floored. He’s let me write for it, too, which makes me even more excited, and best of all I’ve tied it into the original story. As of now, we’re working out details to his story, and so I’d say he’s pretty solidly partnered.
Nuff wrote:A good thing to let your potential artists know is the duration of the comic. How many pages are you going to want for the project to be finished? It'll let them know how long they will be tied to the project and allows them to consider if they have the time and drive to be committed for the entire duration. I've had two comics myself die purely because the artist dropped out of doing it after losing interest.
Hmm... Duly noted. Thank you.
Nuff wrote:Another question worth answering is how often will it update? Once a week? Twice a week? This all factors into how long they will be tied to the project (they will get through the page quota quicker if it updates more frequently) and tells them how much free time they will get to do other things (more pages a week means less free time for them).
Well, I’m not sure yet; we’re just getting started and all, but I’m thinking we’ll try to start with twice a week; once for my story and once for his.
Nuff wrote:As for making money from advertising, it's incredibly difficult to do so unless you have an established comic and that doesn't happen until you are about 4-6 years down the line. So this unfortunately isn't an incentive to the artist who will have to wait a long time to see the fruits of his/her labour.
Awww... well that blows. I suppose I’ll just get another job to support this...
Nuff wrote:If you are considering advertising your own comic to drum up interest in it make sure you hold out until you have enough content for it to be worth peoples time. This is up to you (depends a little on how quickly a story progresses) but a good guideline is 50 pages. It gives people enough of a read for them to get into it and start wanting more.
Hmm. Okay, good to know. I suppose that makes sense (however, I still think I might put up a link here at the start just to show y’all (less of drum up interest, more of “look what I did!”)). I won’t waste my money, then. :D
Nuff wrote:Hopefully that sounded less like a lecture and more like some helpful notes :P
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! This has been some of the most helpful advice I’ve ever received. Thank you. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate these notes (I just printed them out!); do you have any more grains of wisdom I should hear before flying into the vast blue abyss of the interwebs comic biz?