Sacredless ArtBoard

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

Sacredless
Citizen

Sacredless ArtBoard

#1 Post by Sacredless »

Hey guys!

To celebrate my introduction(and arguably return) to DeviantArt, I'll try to keep my initial progress logged in this thread. Note; all of my artworks are currently heavily inspired from TwoKinds, which I love to no end, but I will most probably use my skills for my roleplaying adventures as well! Please, visit my DeviantArt Page as well! Comments to liven up my day are very much welcomed.

I'm not actually new to the arts, as I've been drawing stuff for the longest of time. I used to be able to draw very realistic portaits, even. I had to use a lot of reference material, granted, but I usually got the job done more than decently. Since the time that my life got more and more stressed and unmotivating, I've slowly wasted away my talent for drawing. Or so I thought! Now that I am regaining my confidence in drawing, I feel like I steamrolling into new territory! Or so I hope.

I am completely inexperienced of the following;
- Correct pencil usage(the difference between one pencil and the other)
- Inking
- Vectoring
- Completing drawings
- Comicworks(which I do plan to do, eventually!)
- Anime (believe it or not, I barely watch any anime or read manga compared to some people here)
- General terminology

Other artforms; singing, roleplaying

There are more forms of art that I practice, naturally! I come from a family of 3 generations of singers(and 1 generation professionals), which has had it's effect on my development. I'm not the greatest singer in the world, but I can do classical song fairly well, because my voice has been prepared for low-pitched song and recently, I've discovered that pop song isn't actually outside of my range like we previously thought. Happy times!

However, my most important form of art is Roleplaying. Now, I realize, roleplaying does not seem like what people mean by 'art'. But I do consider it an art form. Social art, really. Roleplaying comes in various forms; Pen-and-Paper, Free-form and Live-Action. Pen-and-Paper roleplaying games are the traditional forms of gaming that we are all remotely aware of; Dungeons and Dragons. However, there are also other games that we can't disregard, such as Mafia. These games are highly structured and centred around 'beating' the game. Free-form doesn't have that kind of limitations. It's about the story there. Finally, you have Live-Action roleplay(LARP) that is conducted in real-life. It combines acting, learning and teaching in a single package that allows people to gain skills that they would normally not be able to practice(from practising a job interview to practising 'WAAGH-SWORDZPLAY').
I'm most experienced in Free-Form. I practice free-form roleplaying over the MMOs I am playing at that time or in IRC channels! I've played a gazillion characters so far and I take a liking to create more of them. I really, really, REALLY, want to do something in the Mekkan universe, once I know more about it. Perhaps if Tom will ever release more information about Mekkan, I'd be able to create more stuff. :)

Sacredless
Citizen

Re: Sacredless ArtBoard

#2 Post by Sacredless »

My first deviation art, ever!

This thing wasn't really hard to make; it just took very long. I drew this image in a spurt of creativity that I really needed to release after reading the entire TwoKinds comic in one day(ONE DAY, MADE ME INSANE). I discovered that drawing can make miserable days bearable, such as the empty lonely feeling after finishing the TwoKinds comics and waiting for two days for the next comic to release.

The drawing was made with a simple HB pencil that I found lying around and simple printing paper. I don't plan to move on to paper or pencils of better quality until the end of my schoolyear (which is in about 6 weeks). However, I may, in the future, use my inkpens to give a better contrast in my pictures, making it easier for me to trace it with computer programs. I'm very happy with the program that Turaiel introduced to me, called OpenCanvas, which has already improved my art quality twice-fold. Photoshop Elements isn't the greatest -thing- to use to draw my pictures, I figure now. Thanks Turaiel!

It took me about two hours to make this, including the tracing. In the future, I will probably do the whole sketching process without tracing and scanning and do it completely digital-wise. However, that time hasn't yet come(mainly because I'm too attached to my pencils ;_;)!

Sacredless
Citizen

#3 Post by Sacredless »

This deviation was surprisingly easy! I wanted to get a different angle on anthros than I had used in my previous deviation, but I also wanted to practice my shading(and coloring, mildy speaking). I'm very satisfied by the results of my shading, but less so about the angle on anthros; On girls, human-like facial features look alright. On boys, it makes them look a bit 'ratty'. Depends on the style solely, of course.

This deviation took a bit longer than my previous; 2 and a half hours. This, again, including drawing, scanning, tracing and smoothing and additionally, I've done the shading and the colouring as well.

Sacredless
Citizen

#4 Post by Sacredless »

This piece is another line-art, but much more elaborate than the Scetsh piece. Perhaps that the more experienced TwoKinders can recognize the rather obvious influences from the comic. The eyes in particular come from the comic-series, inspired by characters as Natani and Sythe. I've been looking rather look for this kind of shape and it's actually much smoother than I rationalized it would. Since my drawings brought me here and the fact that I am satisfied with this rendition of a character dubbed 'Raksa'. I will take that as a lesson not to rely on my rational analysis -too- much.

Raksa is a character from one of the great cat clans and is based on a lion. If he's male and he is a lion, then why doesn't he have a mane? I tried to render him with a mane, but in the rough sketches, that simply came across as too oppressive and 'kingly', something that I'll reserve for Tom Fischbach himself to create. Instead, I went with a more teenager look on this guy; at his age, he -should- have a mane, but since he hasn't taken all his rites yet, he is too timid to actually grow one. Whether he cuts it or whether his hormones react to his personality, I'll leave to the viewers.

In this fifth picture (I drew a couple more pictures that I don't think would be fit for my DeviantArt page), I allowed some of the body into the frame, as well as giving him more of a poze than my other portaits. The patterns on the spear weren't actually as hard as I had imagined they would be. Frankly, the detail that took the longest is the herd on the horizon. It's very hard to imagine yourself a mass of hooves and horns and heads and tails and try to make a silhouette out of that. I think I did a good enough job with it. However, the environment needs a lot more flair and openness. Maybe I'll spend some energy on landscapes rather than characters next time around.

Instead of again going with OpenCanvas, I wanted to do something new; so, I went with PaintTools SAI. I'm very satisfied! The inking was a lot easier this time around and certainly far smoother. I didn't get to test the colours this time around, as I think I should use this picture when I'm more satisfied with my other colourizations. Until then, this one will be shoved back into the cupboard for me to take a look at later on.

Total time; 4 hours. I'm not particularly proud of my timing, but I guess I just like it slow. ^^

Sacredless
Citizen

#5 Post by Sacredless »

01/03/2012

It's been a while that I updated this, I notice. Largely because I do a lot of large scale projects right now, I assume.

Here are some of my recent pictures;

Shortly after I made the latter picture of Raksa, I looked up common coloring techniques. Lo and behold; I found them.

Alice in her bewildered glory. Alice's story is related to Raksa's. She's a housecat anthro that doesn't truly know the pros and cons of freedom, portrayed in this picture. Her collar was cut and now she tries futilely to repair it. And, the question is, should she be glad or not...?

This picture is something that I'm currently working on. It's currently an unfinished helmet with a protective scarf around it. Based neigh completely on the Wardens from Warcraft, as that is what I will be using it for. However, I'll add modifications that will make it look more Mongolian or Arab. It'll get chainmail ear/neck protectors. Made it in record time; 2 hours. Very proud on how well I get to portray suppleness of the material.

bigro
Grand Templar

#6 Post by bigro »

well hey, just why haven't I noticed this thread yet? Durp.

Anyway, love the colour work. Think the story behind the second one is just cute aaaand can't wait for mystery picture?

Either way, it adds up to good work, keep it up.

Sacredless
Citizen

#7 Post by Sacredless »

The story about Alice and Raksa is actually an on-going RP, which I'm trying to visualize, so you will most probably see a lot more of both of them. :) That and Alice's gymnastics teacher will pass through every now and then.

Sacredless
Citizen

#8 Post by Sacredless »

Recently, Paint Tool SAI went licensed, meaning that I will not be able to draw in the near future till I have a credit card to pay abroad.