Keaoden's Sketchbook 8/17 New Art!

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Keaoden's Sketchbook 8/2 (Keaoden Livestreaming)

#76 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

How long will it run for?
Nuclear Cowboy
Gotta build them flat decks.
Manchild with to much disposable income and not enough sense to spend it well

Keaoden, The hidden
Grand Templar

#77 Post by Keaoden, The hidden »

MUDPUNISHER wrote:How long will it run for?
A couple hours probably. I'll have to take a break at some point for food though.
TwoKinds Forum resident emo.
My Deviant Art
MyTumblr
My Youtube
Sage Asuka wrote: :D~ elves.....
R.I.P Lohti. A True Hero

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#78 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

Cool! I'll pop in at some point to watch, especially if requests are available! :grin:
Nuclear Cowboy

Keaoden, The hidden
Grand Templar

#79 Post by Keaoden, The hidden »

Finished for now, be back on later.
My Deviant Art
MyTumblr
My Youtube
R.I.P Lohti. A True Hero

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#80 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

Ok , was that fire alpaca?
Nuclear Cowboy

Keaoden, The hidden
Grand Templar

#81 Post by Keaoden, The hidden »

Oh I was using photoshop, but its been so long since I've used it. I need to set up some more brushes though.
My Deviant Art
MyTumblr
My Youtube
R.I.P Lohti. A True Hero

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#82 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

Ahhh
Nuclear Cowboy

Keaoden, The hidden
Grand Templar

#83 Post by Keaoden, The hidden »

I'll be livestreaming for an hour maybe a little more.
Not really working on anything, I'll just be playing with Sai and maybe Fire alpaca.
I cant do Photoshop along with the livestream as it overheats my little laptop sorry.

http://livestre.am/4xKjX

I'm open for requests or just about anything.
My Deviant Art
MyTumblr
My Youtube
R.I.P Lohti. A True Hero

Keaoden, The hidden
Grand Templar

Re: Keaoden's Sketchbook 8/6 (Keaoden Livestreaming)

#84 Post by Keaoden, The hidden »

From the livestream tonight.
Enjoy this little bit of practice.
My Deviant Art
MyTumblr
My Youtube
R.I.P Lohti. A True Hero

Keaoden, The hidden
Grand Templar

Re: Keaoden's Sketchbook 8/6 (Keaoden Livestreaming)

#85 Post by Keaoden, The hidden »

Some practice in Paint tool Sai
Enjoy
My Deviant Art
MyTumblr
My Youtube
R.I.P Lohti. A True Hero

Chaosye
Grand Templar

Re: Keaoden's Sketchbook 8/10 (Blue Girl)

#86 Post by Chaosye »

I feel like I should give some critique on the hair here:

The hair is very stringy for lack of a better term. But I see what you're trying to do here! Most of your other art pieces show a form of the hair, which is an excellent starting foundation. Rather than abandoning it completely in favor of drawing individual hairs, you ought to expand on that initial form! Drawing individual, selective hairs makes the person seem either in the middle of a shower, or balding. Remember that hairs are often just about 100 micrometers; that is incredibly small! In most of your other pictures you show the initial form, but where the depth of hair comes in is not from displaying the particular hairs, rather is the highlights and shadows that is cast upon the hair and the hair casts upon other objects.

For an example, I found this girl here. While not with the exact same hairstyle, it's similar. Even though she has straight hair, it still tends to clump together in certain ways, and creates an almost solid form. But in addition to that form, the highlights from (presumably) the sun are what give it real depth.

Here's a more direct-to-art example. The form is clearly defined, no individual hairs except as minor detail, and shadows and highlights are laid on top.

In terms of brush theory (and I also see that you're experimenting with minimal color art, which is fine!), using an airbrush or incredibly soft brush like the one you're using makes the character seem very flat. Solid contrast looks good when used in anime-like art like this! I'm also wondering a bit what those strokes on the left of the picture are, but that doesn't detract too much.

Sorry if I seem like a backseat artist (I really haven't been drawing at all lately, and I'm probably incredibly rusty), but these are just some things I'm noticing the most in this practice picture. I hope to see more of your work.

Oh, and good to see you!

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#87 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Am currently enjoying. :3

I like the details on the hair further out -- I hope I am correct in the assumption that proper hair is difficult to pull off without it looking solid as concrete.

EDIT: As Chaosye has so kindly Ninja'd me: If there's good techniques to drawing hair, don't ask me, I'll just sit here and look at art. It's not like I can draw.

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#88 Post by Chaosye »

EvilNinjadude wrote:Am currently enjoying. :3

I like the details on the hair further out -- I hope I am correct in the assumption that proper hair is difficult to pull off without it looking solid as concrete.

EDIT: As Chaosye has so kindly Ninja'd me: If there's good techniques to drawing hair, don't ask me, I'll just sit here and look at art. It's not like I can draw.
A kind ninja is the best kind.
And every artist needs a little positive reinforcement too!

Keaoden, The hidden
Grand Templar

#89 Post by Keaoden, The hidden »

Chaosye thank you for all of your advice man. I tried something different with the hair this time, it didnt quite turn out how I intended it to. It was a technique used by some digital artists to layer thinner marks over larger lighter strokes to give the look of depth and dimension. I think I know what I should do.

I think I did a little better on this one than the last, I might up the opacity on the under brush strokes though.
My Deviant Art
MyTumblr
My Youtube
R.I.P Lohti. A True Hero

Chaosye
Grand Templar

Re: Keaoden's Sketchbook 8/13 (Red Girl)

#90 Post by Chaosye »

This one does look a bit better, and I understand the concept you're trying to get at, but there's a reason why that sort of thing works.

The reason you put down the layer underneath is to give the initial form of the hair. If the form of that base layer is weak, then whatever you put on top won't look like a part of the hair; it'll just look like something stuck on top. Hair is not a fog of varying opacities on the head, the absolute base of hair is always contoured and edged. Hold your own hair in a bundle; it does not merge together like gas, it is held together in a near solid bundle.

Here's an example of something in a similar style that is just the base layer. It shows what the absolute shape of the hair is, not a rough estimation or haze.

Now, here's something I found that might more acccurately portray the idea that you're trying to describe to me. The base is solid, and darker lines are used to outline particular locks of hair, showing the layered quality that hair has. And while the lighting is pretty strange in that particular picture, the lighter lines are used to highlight and add depth to the hair. Remember that hair almost always clumps together in locks, and that individual strands are much less prevalent.

Remember that when trying to follow an artist's style, make sure you understand absolutely why the way they do it is that way. What's the reasoning behind those lines, and what are the particular ways that artist uses them to portray something? It's good to see you trying something new, though, that's always how an artist advances!

Oh, and I would recommend that if you're trying to practice hair, try to draw the entire head. Focusing on one section of a face tends to make things a bit askew in detail, and can sometimes mask certain issues of anatomy that you won't realize when concentrating on one area. It makes it much easier to understand where light sources and such come from in a picture. I'm eager for the next picture of yours!