My.. um... art. update: 8/5 Possible Redesign? <WIP>

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

AlfaWskyDlta
Templar GrandMaster

My.. um... art. update: 8/5 Possible Redesign? <WIP>

#1 Post by AlfaWskyDlta »

Ok so, this is pretty much my first experience with visual art, like ever. Before now my drawing experience has been limited to the VERY occasional notebook doodle of stick figures and other easy simple subjects. That being said, I am taking a leap of faith on me being able to improve my art and get confident at it enough for all this time and effort to be worthwhile. (not to mention I have already spent $70 on a bamboo tablet… :roll: )
So here is the first product of my “artistic” exploits, Natani :natani: in all her … um… glory?
(feel free to criticize and critique! I want to get better!)

Fuzzle wrote:Alfaw...Alfydiys...A...Hard to remember name guy

AlfaWskyDlta
Templar GrandMaster

Re: My.. um... art.

#2 Post by AlfaWskyDlta »

ugh just noticed how rediculously light the hair is *facepalm

D3ADKi113R
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by D3ADKi113R »

If that's your first try, then your really good already, to give you advice, just lower her right eye, and try working with expressions more! But all in all, that's really good for a first!
Where to find me:
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/d3adki113r/
Discord: SnowyLoli#4512 (let me know you're from the forums!)

KyeRaor
Grand Templar

#4 Post by KyeRaor »

For not having drawn much before this at all, you're starting from a pretty good spot. Good choice on the tablet as well, I've heard bamboo is a decent brand. Cheap and good to go for beginners.

For the drawing, there are a couple things I notice. The shoulders are wider than the hips, and that's a physical trait you see in males, rather than females. Female hips and shoulders are relatively the same length. The shoulders are a bit too straight as well. Female shoulders are more curved. The neck is a little too thick as well. Mostly everything else is in good proportion. Just something to keep in mind. The straight on shot of the face could use a little work but I know they're very difficult to get right
The upper parts of the arm are a tad too long as well.

I hope I'm not sounding too harsh, I don't usually like critiquing because I'm afraid of coming of as rude. Lord knows this is a lot better than the stuff I started off drawing. I like getting critique because it does help, I've been getting a lot from a person on the forums named Moviedude18.0. It helps me a lot and I'd like to pass that on to others.

Improving your art takes time and practice, so just keeping drawing! Try doing a sketch a day (just rough drawings to practice proportions) by googling a pose and drawing them. As time goes on and your skill goes up, start drawing more complex poses.

http://www.posemaniacs.com/
Just a site for starters.
:3

AlfaWskyDlta
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by AlfaWskyDlta »

KyeRaor wrote:I hope I'm not sounding too harsh, I don't usually like critiquing because I'm afraid of coming of as rude.
Dont worry about it, knowing whats wrong with my drawing is going to help me get better! :mrgreen:

Moviedude18.0
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by Moviedude18.0 »

A request for advice? I have to say, I'm really flattered. Thank you! :grin:

(I'm just going to put it here that a lot of these links are semi NSFW by virtue of being about anatomy. Click at your own risk...)

Kye is right about the shoulders, but his advice might be a little misleading. Assuming you're going for accurate proportions, shoulders are typically anywhere from three to two and a half heads wide. In that regard, your shoulders are actually the correct width. The problem is that the hip isn't wide enough, not that the shoulders are too large.

Another thing regarding your anatomy is the body shape. An idealized female has what is called an "hourglass figure", where the midsection isn't as wide as the chest and hips. The resulting shape resembles an hourglass, hence its name. Granted, not all females have perfect hourglass bodies, but the curves associated with them are still there if even by just a little bit (Excluding women of...above average weight). The guide by this person right here actually did a lot to help me when I struggled with this issue, and I highly recommend looking at it and practicing to replicate his results.

Another trouble area is Natani's breasts. They look too much like perfect spheres. Boobs=\=balloons, despite what a multitude of Anime might say. You might want to check out this person or this person .

The face is the next problem area. The eyes are slightly different shapes, and the one to our right is "tilted" slightly more than the one on our left. They're also spaced too close together. Although big anime eyes tend to defy this rule, an anatomically correct head is typically five "eyeball" widths wide, with there being one "eyeball" width of space between the actual eyes. Even when the eyes are bigger, there is still one "eyeball" width of space between the two eyes, so this rule is very important to keep in mind.

The only remaining anatomy problem I see are the legs. They're a little small (as in width, not length) in comparison to the rest of her body, and the leg on the viewer's right is way too skinny at the shin.

From a design standpoint, I'll be honest and say I did not realize that was Natani. Her fur color is too dark, and her hair color too light. My recommendation, if you decide to do more fan art in the future, would be to copy one of the comic pages into your drawing program and use the dipper tool to copy the colors used. When you're done you can either make the comic page (Which should be on its own layer) invisible or simply delete it.

I will say this, and that is for somebody who has spent the bulk of his time drawing stick people, you did very good for a first try at drawing a full human figure. You overall anatomy is good, you're just hung up on the specifics of female anatomy (it is trickier than it might seem). I foresee you improving very quickly, so keep on practicing! :)
Image Image

AlfaWskyDlta
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by AlfaWskyDlta »

Moviedude18.0 wrote:I'll be honest and say I did not realize that was Natani.
Ouch! That Hurt! Don’t get me wrong I love the critique and totally know where you are coming from. As soon as I posted it I saw the difference between the colors in my drawing and those in my “Natani Fan” signature bar and was like :shock: and then... :(
I didn’t think to really make sure I had the right colors and that’s my fault, but that’s just another lesson learned right? Thanks again to everyone for the awesome advice!!! Hopefully I’ll have something new up soon!

Natani--Fan.
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Natani--Fan. »

It looks nice. I would make the chest bigger (yes I said that) I want to see more!
deviantART: http://nazo-the-keidran.deviantart.com/
XBOX Live: Bubbawarhorse
STEAM: Bubbawarhorse
Image Image

AlfaWskyDlta
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by AlfaWskyDlta »

KyeRaor wrote: For the drawing, there are a couple things I notice. The shoulders are wider than the hips, and that's a physical trait you see in males, rather than females. Female hips and shoulders are relatively the same length. The shoulders are a bit too straight as well. Female shoulders are more curved.
Anyone else find it kind of ironic that I got gender related proportions mixed up on Natani?

AlfaWskyDlta
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by AlfaWskyDlta »

I decided to draw a fursona because, well, I didn’t know what else to draw…
It’s kind of simple but since I’m a beginner, I need to practice the basics more than anything anyways.

xamali
Grand Templar

#11 Post by xamali »

Heh, it is a nice drawing :wink:
Something that helped me start drawing was to try and copy a technique. And then of course, try using it on your own. Modify it to your taste, and keep on upgrading.
Keep up the drawing :mrgreen:
Fear is not "evil". It is to know your own weakness. If you know your weakness, people can become strong as well as gentle.
2Kinds Portuguese Translation

AlfaWskyDlta
Templar GrandMaster

#12 Post by AlfaWskyDlta »

I decided to go with a Killjoys theme on this one. (for those of you who know what that is) Looking at it know, I feel like the chest and arms are a little thick, and the hands are definably too small. I would have re-drawn them when I saw this, but at that point I was sick of looking at them. I hate hands. Anyways here it is:
MCR fans, eat your heart out. :grin:

I feel like it’s time to try some new poses and/or start to mess around with perspective. Anyone have a suggestion for what I should/ need to focus on?

Natani--Fan.
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Natani--Fan. »

I think it looks ok. I agree with the hands, tough [censored] to draw, and the feet seam REALLY tiny. But the rest some good. Hm the future is bulletproof, eh? Well good thing I have this laser pistol.
deviantART: http://nazo-the-keidran.deviantart.com/
XBOX Live: Bubbawarhorse
STEAM: Bubbawarhorse
Image Image

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#14 Post by Lief »

Three Four things I noticed in the most recent one, hands are too small, feet are too small, head is too small, and the shoulders are too angular.

bluecore
Traveler

#15 Post by bluecore »

it's a nice beginning for someone who used to only doodle from time to time in my opinion the feet and hands of the last one are too small and the shoulders aren't round enough .
but i'm not much better myself last time i tried to draw :flora: flora it ended up like :zen: zen sorry no pictures from that my scanner broke and i only draw with pencil on paper but let's not get it off-topic
human knowledge is boundless, as long as we want it to be boundless