The recent forum troubles

Announcements about forum and website maintenance

Moderator: Moderators

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

The recent forum troubles

#1 Post by aj »

In short, the VPS suddenly went down ~11:30AM local time without properly saving the database files, courtesy of 1and1 tech support installing updates. Unfortunately, this resulted in a crucial file - the list of topics - going missing.

Complicating the situation, automated backups were discovered to only be pseudo-automated in that since configuring it, only 1 backup happened (on Jun 4th).

We could have immediately restored the backups, but that would have resulted in the loss of ~1.5 months worth of posts. So the forums were kept down a little longer to rebuild the list of topics from the posts (which were thankfully uncorrupted).

So, what does this mean? Well, for most of you, absolutely nothing. The only noticeable effect is that the number of posts in a topic [i]might[/i] be off. Also, the viewcounts are [i]definitely[/i] off. Other than that, it should be fine. That said, if you notice any problems, please raise them.

As for the server, for one, daily backups are being done. And this time, we're going to [i]check[/i] that the backups were successfully created. And that they can be restored from.

Also, the possibility of uploading the backups to a remote server (in case the VPS goes down completely and doesn't come back up) is being looked into.

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

Re: The recent forum troubles

#2 Post by Twippit »

Here's something- in the topic "What Race Would You Be" thread (Comic Discussion), the poll is missing for someodd reason. A possible fix please?

emmy
Violent. Hateful. Fluffy.

#3 Post by emmy »

Whupsie. Another forum derpout, aj! and you were nowhere to be found again! >.<

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#4 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

The servers were filled with the backups that were meant to prevent loss of data and less down-time in the case of another crash. The solution to the old problem created a new problem. Guess Tom or someone got to delete the old backups.

aj

#5 Post by aj »

[quote="emmy"]Whupsie. Another forum derpout, aj! and you were nowhere to be found again! >.<[/quote]
D:

Damn this thing called work! (Also, restricted intertubes access.)

emmy

#6 Post by emmy »

lieeees. Also, wut, your quote derped.

aj

#7 Post by aj »

LIEEESSS! I NO LIE

Also, it's the news forum. BBcode is restricted to mods & admins.

Of which I am neither.

emmy

#8 Post by emmy »

I still think that's rather silly. >.<