Web Server/Forum Performance

Announcements about forum and website maintenance

Moderator: Moderators

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

Web Server/Forum Performance

#1 Post by aj »

There have been changes made to the web server and database configuration since last week to hopefully improve the speed and stability on the website as a whole.

Since Tom has uploaded a new comic, the load on the server is expected to correspondingly increase.

Do post here if you notice any slowness, errors or such just to make sure we've ironed out all the bugs in the various configs.

Thanks for your help. :)
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

Tremaursen
Merchant

Re: Web Server/Forum Performance

#2 Post by Tremaursen »

Yesterday at around 7:30am (according to the forum clock), I was logged out automatically several times while trying to make a post. It seemed to happen every time I clicked "post reply", and it must have happened around 6 or 7 times. I don't know if this error was due to the forum, or if it is because of the web browser I was using. This problem has never occured before so I felt I should post it here.
ImageEH?
_

If everything seems to be going well, then you obviously don't know what the hell is going on.~Murphy's Law

PSN: Tremaursen, Add me?

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#3 Post by Lief »

Well, I suppose I may as well post this.

Almost every time I post, when I click the "Submit" button, I have to hit my back button and hit it again, because it brings me to a blank "Post a reply" page.

Tremaursen
Merchant

#4 Post by Tremaursen »

Are we going to get feedback on this?
ImageEH?
_

If everything seems to be going well, then you obviously don't know what the hell is going on.~Murphy's Law

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by avwolf »

What's your timezone set to, Tremaursen? Then we can figure out if there was anything going on during the period of time you're talking about. Unfortunately "forum time" should be adjusted to your timezone, so we'll need to know that before we'll be able to tell you for sure if we were doing anything on the system then. I can tell you that I wasn't, but I'm not the only one making adjustments. Another thing to check is that you weren't running an antivirus or malware scan, or didn't clear the cookies in your browser at that time. Clearing your cookies could potentially cause you to be logged out. I haven't experienced anything like what's been happing to Lief, so my impulse is that he's got something that's clearing his cookies or something else that causing the sessions to be invalidated. (Running through Tor or some other kind of proxying system, maybe.) If there were more people experiencing those sorts of significant problems, I'd expect more complaints, or something to go on from the server logs, neither of which appears true at this time, so I'm inclined toward a client-side problem.

What browsers are you two using? Any significant plugins, like adblocker?

aj

#6 Post by aj »

Also, Tremaursen, has it happened since, or was it just the one blip? Could anything have changed (update of Firefox, maybe? If you're using it...) between when it worked and when it failed?

Lief: Is there any message like "The form you submitted was invalid" in red text on the top of the "Post a reply" box? Also, how long are you taking to type and post your messages? I know you'll get a blank page if you go over the time limit - something like 15-30 minutes, I think.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.

#7 Post by Lief »

I'm using the newest (well, maybe 0.0.1/0.0.2 off.) version of Firefox. Using Adblock Plus, and Browser Backgrounds. A few others, but they're minor add-ons.

It's quite random when it does it, it could do it when I've been typing for twenty minutes, or it could do it when I've typed one sentence. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. There hasn't been a "form invalid" message yet, though I've gotten that a few times for different reasons.

THERE! It just did it when I tried to post this.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by avwolf »

Our session timeout is 24 minutes, and even then it should take a while after that for the session to get destroyed. There's no way there'd be a timeout in the seven minutes between those posts. I only get a black "Post a reply" page when I refresh, anyway.

Do you have Ad-Block blocking anything from twokinds.net or 2kinds.com? Do you have an active antivirus running that might go through your broswer cookies? Are you browsing in privacy mode? I don't have any weird messages from the server in its logs, so near as I can tell, it's working okay on our end, that's why I've been concentrating on your end.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.

#9 Post by Lief »

Adblock isn't blocking anything on either sites. No, I'm not browsing in privacy mode. (I'm not even sure what that is.) I've got AntiVir guard running, but it's never (and I mean NEVER) caused any problems with anything before.

EDIT: See? I didn't have to resubmit this time!

aj

#10 Post by aj »

Lief, what happens if you try and use Internet Explorer? Does the blank post box thing still happen?

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.

#11 Post by Lief »

I don't use Internet Explorer. :|

aj

#12 Post by aj »

Lief wrote:I don't use Internet Explorer. :|
Don't use it (I don't!) or don't have it? (i.e. you're using OS X or some varient of Linux).

It's more trying IE/another browser to see if your problem can be replicated in another browser - If it can't, then something's wrong with Firefox. If it can, then something's wrong with your computer/connection/something else.

Process of elimination. ;)

Tremaursen
Merchant

#13 Post by Tremaursen »

Sorry I took so long to reply.

Unfortunalty there is no way I could remember at this point the exact time this occured in my timezone (shooting blanks I would say anywhere between 10pm and 1am). Also, the browser I was (and currently am using) is the Nintendo DSi Web Browser. This thing can barely run a GIF, and almost no plugins. (It doesn't even run spellcheck) Thats why I assumed it could have been my browser. However this problem has not reoccured since the first time it happened.
ImageEH?
_

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.

#14 Post by Lief »

aj wrote:
Lief wrote:I don't use Internet Explorer. :|
Don't use it (I don't!) or don't have it? (i.e. you're using OS X or some varient of Linux).

It's more trying IE/another browser to see if your problem can be replicated in another browser - If it can't, then something's wrong with Firefox. If it can, then something's wrong with your computer/connection/something else.

Process of elimination. ;)
Don't use it.

But...but...it loads so slow! (;_;)

It's not that big of an issue. Just thought I'd bring it up. If I'm the only one having it, then it really isn't an issue at all. (Besides being a tad annoying.)

Oh! It did something new this time, I was quoting a huge wall'o'text and after shrinking it down to the part I wanted to quote and typing in what I wanted to say, I hit submit. It then did the same thing as the blank "post-a-reply", except it had the wall'o'text quote instead of a blank box.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#15 Post by avwolf »

That's definitely "I just refreshed the page" behavior. :? Most curious. It's like the request failed and the browser automatically refreshed or went back.