Look at the Mountains

Come on in and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Paatsama

Look at the Mountains

#1 Post by Paatsama »

Hello, all!

Alias: Paatsama

I thought I’d tell you what it means. But then I realized it could be interesting to see whether any people here are bored enough to find out and start guessing why I picked it.

That’s in Northern Europe, although most of you likely knew that. Anyone here from my country or those close to it? Danes count.

Hobbies: Comics, science fiction, fantasy, nostalgy, etc.

Feel free to ask more, if you think we might share interests.

Likes: A zillion things from old atlases to wooden furniture to granite cliffs to red sunsets. And more.

Also, people who try to understand even when they feel angry.

Why I joined: I discovered "Twokinds" less than 24 hours ago. After that, I’ve read most of it, and not only laughed but also cried.

Now that’s something that happens way too seldom. Once I got tears in my eyes, I wanted to write fan mail to the author. Since his address was not readily available, I decided coming here and taking a look around might be the right thing to do. And believe me, it has been a long time since I last joined an online community for such reasons.

Paatsama

Re: Look at the Mountains

#2 Post by Paatsama »

Thank you. |D
ThunderVolt wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:31 am (...) Tom isn't on here pretty much at all and multiple methods of contacting him are ineffective.
I am not mighty surprised by that.

I have no reason to be in a hurry. He has been making the story for a long time, starting before I even found the first online comics I’ve loved. I live in hopes that one day my praise and possibly even some of my questions may reach him in one way or another. In the meantime, I can read your past discussions and maybe add my two Euro cents at times.

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#3 Post by Jonesy »

Welcome to the community! I too had a very emotional bender when I first started reading the comic, so you're in familiar company in that regard.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Dadrobit »

Welcome to the forums! :mrgrin:

You can contact Tom at twokinds@gmail.com btw.

amenon
Grand Templar

#5 Post by amenon »

Welcome to the forums! It's a pretty nice place :)
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Paatsama

#6 Post by Paatsama »

Thank you all!

Let me announce that I just reached "Reunion" (page 1005) some minutes ago.
Dadrobit wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:34 pm You can contact Tom at (...)
My special thanks for this, your... highness?

(No idea what the appropriate style is when addressing a grandmaster.) :grin:'

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Dadrobit »

Paatsama wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:33 pm Thank you all!

Let me announce that I just reached "Reunion" (page 1005) some minutes ago.
Dadrobit wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:34 pm You can contact Tom at (...)
My special thanks for this, your... highness?

(No idea what the appropriate style is when addressing a grandmaster.) :grin:'
Most folks just call me daddy. :mrgrin:

ClockworkPanda
Citizen

#8 Post by ClockworkPanda »

Ooh! Hi! Welcome! ^^

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#9 Post by Foxx Trotter »

Welcome to the TwoKinds Forums. :D I hope you enjoy things here. Don't mind "Mario"... :P
Videre videnda.

Paatsama

#10 Post by Paatsama »

Hehe, I see you people are making some insider references.

Oh yes I take part in similar stuff in online communities where I’m more established, so I certainly don’t mind. But I’m afraid this Mario thing will require lots of lurking around. Or is it simply how much Thundervolt likes Mario references? Somehow I’ve paid more attention to his or her kiwi bird side.

In the meantime, thanks for the welcomes!

...Um.

You know, I might like to do some basic chatting about Twokinds. The world, the characters, the story as a whole, and so forth.

However, most such general discussion threads seem to be long forgotten or even locked as spam.

I am not the type to bombard such topics with one-liners. Take a look at what I’ve written so far and you’ll get the idea. Instead, I’m quite good at raising a seven-year-old topic, reading it (all or large parts) and adding my point of view as if the thread had been dead for no less than a few weeks. In principle, I like it when other people do the same to my own age-old comments, anyway. It’s not necessarily their fault if they happen to care in the wrong decade.

If I may ask for friendly advice: Should I try that here? In some places it’s forbidden, in others frowned upon, in yet others warmly welcomed. What is the current policy of Twokinds Forums?

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#11 Post by Dadrobit »

Sorry, but while it's not a written rule, necro-posting without a ~really~ good reason is pretty frowned upon here and usually gets the thread locked. A few weeks or even a month or so is fine, but when a topic is dead for long we let it rest. (Exclusions to this may include the panel shuffle thread, ranting thread, smile thread, and a few others that sometimes die, but are longstanding threadnaughts)

If a topic has been discussed prior but you feel that there is more to add, feel free to make your own thread on the subject and perhaps reference the dead thread in your opening statement. But please do have something more to say than "I was reading this old topic and I really agree with so-and-so." Stuff like that is just considered spam and it will likely be quickly locked and net you a warning.

Please take some time to read the forum rules if you're wondering about certain regulations, and feel free to ask if you have any questions. I'm no mod, but I've been around a fair bit! :mrgrin:

Paatsama

#12 Post by Paatsama »

Thank you for taking the time to advise me.

I had already read the forum rules; but those regarding "necro" tend to get looser interpretations on forums that have become quieter, so I decided to ask. My remark on one-liners was intended to stress that I am not interested in posting simply to agree with somebody who said something years ago.

Cluttering boards by starting new threads of topics that already exist (instead of trying to collect all related input in one place) has never made sense to me, and I am still waiting for somebody, somewhere, to explain what benefit it brings. But don’t you worry, Daddy. If fighting against the laws were my goal, I would never had set sail for the Basidian Islands.

amenon
Grand Templar

#13 Post by amenon »

Paatsama wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:09 am Cluttering boards by starting new threads of topics that already exist (instead of trying to collect all related input in one place) has never made sense to me, and I am still waiting for somebody, somewhere, to explain what benefit it brings. But don’t you worry, Daddy. If fighting against the laws were my goal, I would never had set sail for the Basidian Islands.
On the one hand, I somewhat agree; on the other hand... even if you've just read a multi-page thread from years ago, you can't necessarily expect others to do that much work just to understand the context of your new reply. So if you want to raise an old topic, it's on you to distill the essence of what you want to discuss into a new thread.

Another thing is that if it's been a while, for one many of the people in the thread probably aren't around anymore, and for another, they may have changed their minds about whatever the topic was. So by raising an old topic, you're essentially endorsing for them a position they may no longer hold. Best to start fresh.

If you want to start a new topic (about the comic specifically), just about the only rule that I'm aware of is that it should be something that can be discussed. It's not a very high bar to clear, really. Did you have some specific topics in mind that you were wondering about?

Something else to note is that the comic itself is basically always on topic in the most current discussion thread. So if you want to remark on something in the comic, that you maybe feel doesn't warrant its own thread, you can just do it in the comic thread even if it doesn't necessarily directly have anything to do with the current page.

Also, in addition to what Dadrobit said: necroposting isn't really a thing on the creative boards, as long as you're on topic. Though I guess I don't know what would happen if you decided to bump a whole bunch of old art threads at once... hmm. For the rest, the unwritten rule is one month, but enforcement for overages is inconsistent. If you get in under one month, you're gonna be fine.

Paatsama

#14 Post by Paatsama »

Wow, you really took the trouble to answer. Thank you!

Your first two points (distill the essence; a position they may no longer hold) are something that I could reply with a bunch of both fors and againsts. Let me just say that those are good points.

amenon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 am Did you have some specific topics in mind that you were wondering about?
I’ve had more than one... I just might PM you some day, giving a short list of topics and asking for help to find out what and where has already been said about them. The forum search, while it has helped in some cases, appears buggy to me.

amenon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 am you can just do it in the comic thread even if it doesn't necessarily directly have anything to do with the current page
Well this I would not have thought. Thanks.

amenon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 am I don't know what would happen if you decided to bump a whole bunch of old art threads at once...
Not planning to. I have been a moderator myself elsewhere, and I know the type of people who do that. While I am not an ardent enemy of such behavior, I like to tell them, "Why not divide your posting over a longer period, even if you write all the messages during one evening? In that way, you will probably be booosting more activity. And most certainly you will get more replies by bumping three threads per day, or week, than thirty at once."

amenon
Grand Templar

#15 Post by amenon »

Paatsama wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 pm I’ve had more than one... I just might PM you some day, giving a short list of topics and asking for help to find out what and where has already been said about them. The forum search, while it has helped in some cases, appears buggy to me.
Sure. I can't promise I'll have the time, but I can promise I wouldn't mind being asked :)

Also, the index of comic threads can be very useful depending on what you're looking for. If you're thinking of something that's to do with a specific page, or you can think of a page that seems really relevant to what you're thinking of, it can be a very good resource.