I Knew I'd Have to Show Up Sometime...

Come on in and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

I Knew I'd Have to Show Up Sometime...

#1 Post by Rafe »

After lurking for much longer than I should, I couldn't help but show up and finally admit that Two Kinds has got me so enthralled that I have to say something about it. The recent story arcs especially are incredibly emotionally moving ("gut-wrenching" is more like it). In any case I'm very impressed with the depth and realism that Tom uses. I hate to admit to myself how seriously these fictional but very believable characters affect me sometimes. So look forward to some seriously over-emotional and sycophantic posts from me.

And as far as me, I'm Rafe. I've been around web-comics and their creators for (jeeze) like 13 years now. Been going to cons for that long at least. Have gotten to know and spend time with some wonderful artists/creators like Amber Williams (DMFA, David and Katie Hopkins (Jack) and Albert Temple (Gene Catlow), and have always leaned towards the comics that aren't afraid to take their characters (and readers) to some very dark and very painful places. Two Kinds is definitely one in that group. I guess that when you have characters that you can identify with so easily, being put through such darkness and emotionally draining things, you get taken there with them pain and all, and you can sometimes find out some serious things about yourself.

Otherwise about me, I majored in Computer/Electronics Engineering, Minored in History, seriously studied medieval literature, taught horseback riding, played polo and fenced in college, found work as a broadcast studio engineer, and a writer among other things, and also do restoration work for local museums. Other than web-comics, I like comics and animation in general, and lean toward the anthropomorphic/furry ones. (Speaking as someone into centuries old literature, most people are surprised that serious, adult furry comics and stories - and I'm talking heavy emotions, sex and violence that would fit right in web-comics today - have been around for centuries.) And I also like at least one seriously amazing adult-oriented puppet show:

Anyway, hope I can be of some service (or at least maybe a laugh or two) to you kind folks.

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

Re: I Knew I'd Have to Show Up Sometime...

#2 Post by judah4 »

welcome to the forums :grin: Since you are the second person to day to join that is earning a degree dealing with computers, I will ask the same question. In your pursuit of a degree, what is your favorite part of the field you are studying?

Rafe
Council Member

#3 Post by Rafe »

I actually like the hardware end of things - getting microprocessors/computers to run things in the real world. Best jobs (best paying ones anyway) I've had so far have been building and programming industrial robots and automation systems. Right now I'm building a software-defined radio system just for fun.

I think I had the most fun though as a studio engineer. I loved every day of that job - the technical things, plus I was the music librarian (also studied music seriously - only department where I had a 4.0 GPA), and occasional on-air talent (seriously thought about majoring in Drama, but figured Engineering would be easier to live on). I also became the proof reader. Practically everyone else was a Communication major. You'd think they could spell and use grammar - apparently not. Only problem was, jobs in broadcasting generally pay next to nothing. Mine was in that category.

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#4 Post by judah4 »

I'm a computer science major myself. So far I haven't gotten into the hardware side of things but programming is very enjoyable :grin: I havent been in music since high school but I really miss it. I wish you good luck with your degree earning and I hope you enjoy the forums. :mrgreen: Enjoy your stay

minime
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by minime »

Hello and welcome to the forums, read the rules enjoy your stay and have fun. :flora: :flora:

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#6 Post by jacobc62 »

Sorry if you haven't gotten a cookie from Judah yet. I think he has gotten lazy. As for me, here is your sack of :potatoes: and down the hall is Stryder with the large doors to the forum.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Zylver
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Zylver »

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your stay! :karen:

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

johny
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by johny »

Welcome to the forum sir. Great to have you... Read the rules and if you need a "Drink" let me know. I make a killer cocktail they say.

Rafe
Council Member

#9 Post by Rafe »

Thanks everyone, for the welcome, and the offers of cookies and cocktails.
If there's anything I can help anyone with from my wide-ranging but thinly spread knowledge and experience, just let me know.

geckohero17
Merchant

#10 Post by geckohero17 »

Welcome to the forums :D
I'm learning basic computer language on Roblox (Yes, Roblox) and I aim to get a job there as a moderator for when I hit 18. (Less than 2 years)

I also want to start my own webcomic, (When I get the time/stops being lazy) hopefully it will be a fantasy one :P

Enjoy your stay!
I'm feeling the love... but not the kind you're thinking about.

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#11 Post by DariusL »

Please sever your leg & have fun!
johny wrote:I make a killer cocktail they say.
Lemme guess, JP-7 fuel, triethylborane and liquid nitrogen? :P

johny
Templar GrandMaster

#12 Post by johny »

ticoun wrote:Image
Please sever your leg & have fun!
johny wrote:I make a killer cocktail they say.
Lemme guess, JP-7 fuel, triethylborane and liquid nitrogen? :P

lol JP-8 now lol JFS cocktail in crew chief speak. But this one is a little more furry :wink:

Kopaka1996
Merchant

#13 Post by Kopaka1996 »

Welcome to the forum! Have fun here!
My Deviantart:
http://forgotten1996.deviantart.com/
My art & sketches topic:
http://twokinds.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17113
My TwoKinds Italian translation:
http://2kindsita.blogspot.it/
I'm for :natani: + :keith:

Rafe
Council Member

#14 Post by Rafe »

Once again, thanks for all the nice welcome messages and gifts, etc.
[Turns around and adds a number of entries to his " People who are NOT Insensitive Morons" log.]

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#15 Post by Myperson54 »

*Flies in window amongst shattered glass*

"Oh, hey all! Welcoming a newbie? What're ya writing there?*

*Takes a quick peek at list*

"Oh yeah, I have one of them, too. Good thing of sorts to keep. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have an angry luchador waiting outside for me."

"Oh, and don't forget to read the rules and have fuuoah!?"

*Is yanked through window by shirt collar*

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!