Elfen Lied

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Nuff
The One With the Ears

Elfen Lied

#1 Post by Nuff »

Personally my fav anime series thus far. I um'ed and ah'ed for many months about this series (I had a lot of time, I was waiting for the DVD to be released) and eventually took the dive and got it. For those who don't know it, Elfen Lied is the tale of Lucy a Diclonius who escapes a top security centre via a bloody rampage. Diclonius are a mutation of humanity, or as quoted by some people the next step of evolution. Always female and with pink hair these girls have small horns (that remember little cat ears) sticking out of their heads... oh yeah and they can rip you in half using their mind powers called vectors. The series basically follows the path of Lucy who after being shot int the head with an anti tank rifle becomes a split personality, her other self being the pure as the driven snow Nyu.

For more information on the series have a lil look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfen_lied

Now, to those who have seen it. What did you think of it? When I first watched it I was truely moved, although it took a little bit to get going I was hooked by episode 3. Fanservice at times seemed rather forced and not really needed, I could have gotten by without it tbh. One thing that did strike me as impressive with the series was how it could chop and change from terribly brutal so sweet, innocent and moving. Also, then last episode had me holding back tears... on two occasions

Fireball0236
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Elfen Lied

#2 Post by Fireball0236 »

Ah yes, Elfen Lied. One of the earlier animes that I've watched. Loved every minute of it, both the terribly brutal parts, as the sweet parts that could follow just as fast (like Nuff said). You were only hooked by episode 3? The first minute was enough to hook me, and I'm in any other case not a fan of gore/limb ripping stuff. (Though Mnemosyne is another exception to that rule).

I should maybe rewatch the series, too many details about it have slipped my mind...

EDIT: The AniDB link:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=1544

Drisk Kayne
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Drisk Kayne »

I saw the opening to this on a youtube list of the five greates anime openings, and thought it looked interesting. After seeing this synopsis, I'm definitely gonna watch it.
"Free will is an illusion, and everyone is going to do what they are going to do. This is because before they do it, they're going to have done it, and afterwards they've already done it."

"So it goes."

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#4 Post by Tuna »

Gory as all get-out (how many seconds before the first death? Three? XD ), but still an incredible series. Likely in my top 20....shoot, my homepage background is this:
:3

Fireball0236
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by Fireball0236 »

A friend of mine used this background for a while after watching the serie:
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb27 ... ed/013.jpg

Gotta love it :D !

The opening is beautiful, and ED is just fun. ^^ .

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#6 Post by Nuff »

The opening song Lillium is quite wonderful to listen too as well. It's the message alert tone on my phone ^_^. Also, it's a rather important part of the story, what with Lucy humming it as she starts her escape in episode 1 and it's constant re-emergance throughout the series. Also, a german poem, sung in latin, in a japanese anime... class :P

Fireball0236
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by Fireball0236 »

Ah yes, there is this touch of German in the anime. I didn't know however that the OP was originally a German poem?

It is quite a spoiler at first that the song is an important part of the story...

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#8 Post by Nuff »

The name Elfen Lied is the title of the german poem I think, it means elf something ro other. I forget.

Not really a spoiler, I mean it comes up very early.

Harb
Grand Templar

#9 Post by Harb »

Nuff wrote:The name Elfen Lied is the title of the german poem I think, it means elf something ro other. I forget.
it means "song of elves". it's like fireball already said a poem by eduard mörike.
[under construction]

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#10 Post by Nuff »

Thanks for that, I remember reading all about it on wikipedia but I had a mind block there :P

Harb
Grand Templar

#11 Post by Harb »

apparently is the term "silpelit" derived from said poem, but nobody knows what mörike meant with it because it's no actual german word (archaic or others).
[under construction]

Zylar
Far From Sane

#12 Post by Zylar »

One of the few anime's I've seen. It's incredibly bloody but I enjoyed it. >_>
Holy_458 wrote:I wouldn't trust Zy with anything sharper than a crayon

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#13 Post by Sage Asuka »

Eh...I tried to read the manga...was turned off after seeing how gory it was going to get. I'm okay with cartoon blood, but I have a limit and it was surpassing it. Same with Samurai Shamploo. I got turned off of that as soon as a dude's finger was broken. That just...ugh...
Image Image Image Image

Fireball0236
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by Fireball0236 »

I'm like that for any movie, serie or w/e, but for some reason Elfen Lied didn't even strike me as gore, who knows...

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#15 Post by Nuff »

Sage Asuka wrote:Eh...I tried to read the manga...was turned off after seeing how gory it was going to get. I'm okay with cartoon blood, but I have a limit and it was surpassing it. Same with Samurai Shamploo. I got turned off of that as soon as a dude's finger was broken. That just...ugh...
It's true it's gory, and at times brutal... but underneath it all theres a softness and a tragic love story. It's all rather weird because of it, and personally it's why Elfen Lied is such a masterpeice. It might be worth stomaching the gore if you can... but I know there's a rather brutal scene involving Nala later on that you will most likely turn away from. People who have seen it will know what I mean