New anime's to watch.

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Arachnion As Captain Jack
Templar Inner Circle

Re: New anime's to watch.

#316 Post by Arachnion As Captain Jack »

GIANT ROBO:The Day The Earth Stood Still

...is a coolio 7-episode OVA. I just got done with episode 3. It's pretty much a steampunk story with the Shizuma Drive providing the replacement for steam power. The first episode does a good job of establishing some mysterious stuff. Who is Dr. Franken Von Volgler? What happened ten years ago at Bashtarle? Is Alberto The Shockwave really badass enough to assault an entire top secret military base pretty much on his own, on foot, whilst unarmed? (Yes. Yes he is.)
Iwaku
"But the percentage is almost zero!"
"THE PERCENTAGE MEANS NOTHING! WITH A COURAGEOUS HEART, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! FINAL FUSION APPROVED!"-GaoGaiGar.

My Let's Play (Updates Irregularly)

Saki
Council Member

#317 Post by Saki »

Tuna wrote:
Firewhisky wrote:So how are Ken Akamatsu other works Love hina and A.I.Love you? I heard of Love hina like when I was in middle school but never actually did pick it up and read it. >.>
Love Hina is a fun romance/comedy with a good bit of fanservice (they live at a hotspring), but even though it is absurd and has some light action (explosions, violence), it really is rather sweet and amusing. I recommend it.
A.I.Love You is neat, since I believe it is only in manga form, and really displays how his art style evolved early on. The subject matter is light and a bit outdated, but it's cute in an almost Chobits-y kinda way.
:kathrin:
Oh love hina makes me laugh alot. The fact that one of my friends lives is very similar to Keitaro's O.o kinda creepy(I've see him fall from high places roll down a hill and hit a tree and walk back up perfectly fine......and normaly him falling or going flying is due to this one girl. And his step sister act just like keitaros.)
when in doubt use a crowbar

coal
Pumpkin Hunter

#318 Post by coal »

Has any one said Code Geass, if not, It has to be said, it has ended but is pretty epic if you watch all like 48 episodes in the two seasons, and D gray man the anime series has a week ending but the manga is continuing in November, cant wait for that. :grin: It's getting goooood.

Blazeofspikes
Council Member

#319 Post by Blazeofspikes »

Does anyone know if Macross frontier is a great anime even tho I haven't really seen a mech anime yet? (I have only seen 2 videos related to this anime at 5:00 in the newest Nico Nico douga video and the Nyan Nyan song fad which someone basically took this clip and make it an never ending loop.

Oh and one of the characters "renka lee" kinda reminds me of Karen in this comic but more attractive in my opinion.

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#320 Post by Tuna »

Firewhisky wrote:Does anyone know if Macross frontier is a great anime even tho I haven't really seen a mech anime yet? (I have only seen 2 videos related to this anime at 5:00 in the newest Nico Nico douga video and the Nyan Nyan song fad which someone basically took this clip and make it an never ending loop.
I've heard good things, even though I have yet to see it...not sure if watching any of the previous Macross series is required, either...I'd say it's worth a try.
:kathrin:

Arachnion As Captain Jack
Templar Inner Circle

#321 Post by Arachnion As Captain Jack »

Macross Frontier really depends on what kinda mecha anime you want to watch. Sounds pretty awesome (NUKE SHANK), but I'm not sure if it's a good gateway one.

The main thing you have to keep in mind when watching super robot anime is that COURAGE makes you more powerful, and lets you punch the laws of physics in the face.

The Macross series doesn't have that, as it's more of a real-type.It probably has a good amount of focus off of the mecha, as well. Haven't seen it, but sounds like a good choice. Previous series knowledge probably won't be needed. Just remember to LISTEN TO MY SONG.
Iwaku
"But the percentage is almost zero!"
"THE PERCENTAGE MEANS NOTHING! WITH A COURAGEOUS HEART, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! FINAL FUSION APPROVED!"-GaoGaiGar.

My Let's Play (Updates Irregularly)

Blazeofspikes
Council Member

#322 Post by Blazeofspikes »

Ah alright I watched the first episode on anilinks and so far its a great anime although whenever I try to upload the 2nd video it tends to crash and not work on this old computer. >.<

Oh I also found some other interesting animes one of them is called Strike Witches which is some kind of WWII female nekomimi mech anime and there apparently making a game in Japan for it (I couldn't have made this up even if I wanted to >.<), and Kurokami a action anime with good character designs although I haven't gotten very far on it but so far so good.

Escobar
Apprentice

#323 Post by Escobar »

I quite enjoyed Macross Frontier. Had a good balance of action/mystery/love triangle-ness and Ranka's song really sticks in your head.
Firewhisky wrote:Oh I also found some other interesting animes one of them is called Strike Witches
Thanks for reminding me about that. I kept seeing stuff for that while i was in Japan and I've been meaning to check it out. Looks crazy (my favourite kind of anime). :nora:

Blazeofspikes
Council Member

#324 Post by Blazeofspikes »

Autumn anime update.

Nyan koi: Kousaka Junpei is a second-year high school student who despises cats and has an allergy to them. It just so happens that his high school crush is Mizuno Kaede, a girl who adores cats. One day, while walking home from school, Junpei kicks an empty can and unfortunately beans the local neko-jizou-sama (guardian deity of cats). He finds he can now understand what cats are saying, including his family's own ill-tempered cat, Nyamusasu. However, if he does not grant 100 wishes from cats, he will turn into a cat himself.
Impressions: So far it's a pretty decent first episode if you like cats you will probably like this anime.

Kobato:Kobato is sweet and perky girl, but also extremely naive about the world around her. She has a "mission", which is to fill a mysterious bottle of hers with the suffering from people's hearts so her wish to go a certain place that she desires to go can be granted. However, she must not fall in love with a particular boy she works with and whose heart she must heal.
Comes out October 6th so I can't do an impression of the first episode yet but you can watch the preview

Anymal Tantei Kiruminzoo: A cute “heartwarming comedy” about the Mikogami sisters - Riko, Rimu, and Nagisa - who enjoy cosplaying as animals until they find a “Kirumin compact” which magically allows them to physically transform into real animals.
This anime comes out tomorrow at October 5th.

Tegami Bachi: There is nothing in anidb so I guess I will tell you what I have read from shonen jump magazine about this story. Amberground is a world locked in darkness and the only light source are man made stars making the whole landscape rather dim. As for the main protangonist "Lag Seeing" his job is to carry packages to places but in the world of Amberground there are these creatures called "Gaichuus" which are heartless insects with very thick and tough protective armor and the only way to defeat these gaichuus is to use the power of the heart because that is the insects only weakness.
Impressions from reading the manga: So far it is a interesting read although the landscape is ridiculously confusing because it looks like a somewhere between a frozen wasteland and a desert. I hope the anime makes me understand the landscape more >.>

Seiken no Blacksmith: The story takes place after an abominable war that foisted a "devil's contract" upon a land. Cecily Campbell, a former noble's daughter who joined a knighthood, encounters a man who dispatches some hoodlums with one sweep of a mysterious sword. The man possesses the power of the same "devil's contract" that has become taboo, now that peace has been restored. Cecily has been searching for a blacksmith who can repair an old sword she inherited from her father, and that mysterious young man happens to be blacksmith named Luke. This encounter launches their adventures together.
comes out october 10th I think but it looks like one sweet anime.

Fairy Tail: Story follows a teenaged girl named Lucy Heartfilia who aims to join the world's most notorious mage guild, Fairy Tail. During a daring rescue, Lucy encounters Natsu "Salamander" Dragneel, a quirky Fairy Tail member and a teenaged practitioner of the ancient Dragon Slayer magic. Lucy is eventually welcomed into the Fairy Tail guild as she, Natsu, and other members go on various quests together.
On onemanga.com this is one of the top 100 most popular mangas in America. Heck it's in 4th place right below naruto, bleach, and one piece.

meh I think this is going to take forever I might as well just post this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLfjt4oL ... o_response which features most of the autumn animes coming out.

Pteroid
Grand Templar

#325 Post by Pteroid »

Monster began its run on Sci Fi's Ani Monday last night. From what I hear, it's supposed to be pretty good. (Has yet to watch the episodes he recorded last night)

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#326 Post by Tuna »

Dang, missed it!
>.<

The thing I don't like about SciFi's anime is that it doesn't repeat - if you miss an episode somehow, you're out of luck.
x.x

Pteroid
Grand Templar

#327 Post by Pteroid »

True, I'm still kicking myself for missing the first part of the second season of Gurren Lagann. >.>

Blazeofspikes
Council Member

#328 Post by Blazeofspikes »

Pteroid wrote:True, I'm still kicking myself for missing the first part of the second season of Gurren Lagann. >.>
I think I found a anime that is very similar to Gurren Lagann called Needless. I just started watching it because the OP is so damn awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmNBfxFdQ90 although for some reason I think this anime uses to much similar character designs from other animes like for example the 3 main characters look similar to Gurren Lagann, one character looks like dr. willy from megaman, the settings look like from Fist of the north star, etc.

AzeNaku
Templar Inner Circle

#329 Post by AzeNaku »

I just stumbled across and started watching Needless this morning, having found it by pure luck. I'm liking it so far.
Firewhisky wrote:one character looks like dr. willy from megaman
Dude, I thought the same thing! I don't even play Megaman, but that was the first thing to come to mind. :karen:
Set Azers to "Pun". ImageImageImage

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#330 Post by Schrodinger »

AzeNaku wrote:I just stumbled across and started watching Needless this morning, having found it by pure luck. I'm liking it so far.
Firewhisky wrote:one character looks like dr. willy from megaman
Dude, I thought the same thing! I don't even play Megaman, but that was the first thing to come to mind. :karen:
I am very interested.

Nice avatar by the way Aze.
What was it the spider said to the fly...