Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai

#1 Post by Bellhead »

For the first time in almost 2 years, I shall attempt to revive this board with the first anime that had me on the edge of my seat without leaving mind-numbing cliffhangers every episode.

An average loner-type, little sister who can't leave the house, an actress and her sister, the scientist classmate, and the idea that there's a syndrome that basically creates supernatural side-effects that alter reality around you. With two main characters who show such confidence while being almost completely monotone, and taking each other seriously despite deadpan humor.

I got the sense throughout the show that the main characters were more in the mindset of "Great. This crap again." rather than the typical anime-style "Aaah! Oh noes! (jiggle boob physics)". It set an interesting mood, wherein (at least as I saw it) the story could focus on what was happening, rather than the characters' reactions to it.

For instance,
Spoiler!
There were several times that Sakuta brought home a girl that Mai didn't know, yet she simply accepted it with full trust in him.
I found that refreshing, if a little odd for the genre.

Complete with an invisible cease-to-exist character, memory loss, random causeless injuries, repeated day loops, a quantum physics clone... I had to marathon it. Didn't want to. Had to. Phenomenal. Might have to marathon it again. It's not often that most of the main characters usually show a deadpan flat expression, on both sides of the relationship.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Hayate
The Hidden User

Re: Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai

#2 Post by Hayate »

Ok! So today we shall learn how to necropost!

I actually stumbled upon this anime on Netflix yesterday. I’d seen the title before and immediately written it off as ecchi, can you blame me? However as I let the preview that Netflix does play out, I realized that there was more going on. I was intrigued that nobody seemed to be able to see the bunny girl aside from the one guy. I decided to give the show a chance, and I’m glad I did. The story gets really interesting and the whole bunny suit thing doesn’t have much to do with anything. She really only wore it in like two scenes that I’ve seen so far.

So yeah, not really the fan service type anime that the title implies, which was nice. It has paranormal type elements mixed in with a sort of typical high school type anime with a slightly more mature dialogue/humor than most.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#3 Post by Bellhead »

Yeah, it quickly became my favorite. It's a refreshing mix of Twilight Zone, anime and deadpan humor. Best example I've seen, and I really love the way they put it together.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#4 Post by Hayate »

Well… I just ran out of episodes… I feel like there is still so much more to be told! I’ll have to find out if there is a manga or something. The last couple episodes with Kaede made me cry a little… I also have so many questions about Shoko…

All in all I rate this anime pretty high. Definitely much better than the title implies. I even make a cameo as a kitten!
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--