Violet Evergarden

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

Violet Evergarden

#1 Post by Dadrobit »

So I certainly don't traverse these parts often myself, as quite honestly a lot of anime really doesn't click with me very often.

That being said...

Recently, I stumbled across (and by stumble, I mean I finally caved after Netflix had suggested it to me for the 6,000th time) Violet Evergarden on Netflix, aaaaaaaaaaand promptly binged the absolute hell out of it all the way through in one sitting, leaking more than a few very manly tears in the process in some of the later episodes. It's on the side of being a slower burn anime, but it's truly one of the most beautiful and finely crafted stories I've ever had the pleasure of watching in recent memory across any medium of entertainment. Absolutely a 9.5/10 in my own opinion. If you are a fan of quality, you need to watch this anime.

Basic Synopsis:

The Great War finally came to an end after four long years of conflict; fractured in two, the continent of Telesis slowly began to flourish once again. Caught up in the bloodshed was Violet Evergarden, a young girl raised for the sole purpose of decimating enemy lines. Hospitalized and maimed in a bloody skirmish during the War's final leg, she was left with only words from the person she held dearest, but with no understanding of their meaning. Recovering from her wounds, Violet starts a new life working at CH Postal Services after a falling out with her new intended guardian family. There, she witnesses by pure chance the work of an "Auto Memory Doll," amanuenses that transcribe people's thoughts and feelings into words on paper. Moved by the notion, Violet begins work as an Auto Memory Doll, a trade that will take her on an adventure, one that will reshape the lives of her clients and hopefully lead to self-discovery.

Glass Reflections just so happened to make a pretty excellent review of this show just recently if you want to know what's up in detail.

phpBB [video]

Also, the OST is spectacular. It's my new go-to for cooking music. :mrgrin:

Phaing
Master

Re: Violet Evergarden

#2 Post by Phaing »

Everything in that review was spot-on.
All I can add is that this was the ONLY anime in 5 years to win the Grand Prize, that ought to tell you all you need to know right there.

and oh yeah.... lots of onions get peeled in this one, so be ready for it.

IMHO, this one is right up there with the best of the best, like Clannad and Wolf Children.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#3 Post by Schrodinger »

I've been threatening to sit my girlfriend down and make her watch this series for months. She knows that it make a coldhearted guy like me tear up so she's absolutely dreading the feels.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Dadrobit »

Schrodinger wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:46 pm I've been threatening to sit my girlfriend down and make her watch this series for months. She knows that it make a coldhearted guy like me tear up so she's absolutely dreading the feels.
Have you tried luring her in with milk and cookies first? :mrgrin:
Phaing wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:54 pm Everything in that review was spot-on.
All I can add is that this was the ONLY anime in 5 years to win the Grand Prize, that ought to tell you all you need to know right there.

and oh yeah.... lots of onions get peeled in this one, so be ready for it.

IMHO, this one is right up there with the best of the best, like Clannad and Wolf Children.
I don't know what organization gives out awards to animes like "Grand Prize", but I'm almost certain that they have good taste if they gave it to VE.

My one and only bugbear with this anime was some their flashback depictions of her performance in the war.

phpBB [video]

Her portrayal as a super soldier does help somewhat with justifying her traits as a highly efficient and dexterous worker, however I found some of those sections to be just too jarring in contrast to the otherwise very relatable or at least understandable tone of the anime. I think that a more realistic representation of a (still very effective (child slave)) soldier coping with the cruel realities of war would have sold the story much better than one who essentially has just short of godmode hax turned on. Especially seeing as how much the anime otherwise places focus on storytelling and marvelous craftsmanship down the minutiae of their more "simple" and discreet animations.

I dunno, maybe it is just me. But I think at some point someone should have looked at a young girl effectively performing a flying rifle strike from a slide into a spinning back kick in the middle of a battlefield and said, "Hmmm, maybe we've gone too far?"

THAT BEING SAID

Those moments were largely few and far between, and the rest of the anime is still utterly fantastic.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#5 Post by Schrodinger »

I'm right with you there on her portrayal as a child super-soldier, it just seems like an excuse for Kyoto Animation to show off that they can do fight choreography in addition to lovingly crafting everything else. It was entirely possible to portray her as a highly efficient engine of warfare in the package of a little girl without delving into the same territory as Steve Rodgers and Bucky Barnes.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Phaing
Master

#6 Post by Phaing »

Schrodinger wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:23 pm I'm right with you there on her portrayal as a child super-soldier, it just seems like an excuse for Kyoto Animation to show off that they can do fight choreography in addition to lovingly crafting everything else. It was entirely possible to portray her as a highly efficient engine of warfare in the package of a little girl without delving into the same territory as Steve Rodgers and Bucky Barnes.
Maybe that is why there has been no response to my thread on Tanya/ Youjo Senki?

The explanation of that one was brilliant.... but it comes in Episode 2. :potatoes:
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw