Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon?

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon?

#1 Post by Envy661 »

... No seriously, is it?

This anime took me by surprise when I watched it. It has the storytelling wonderment present in Log Horizon with the epic action fight scenes of Sword Art Online (and that is the only praise you will ever hear me give the crapshoot that is SAO).

The show takes place in their own real world rather than a game, but the world still follows game rules. The characters are deep and meaningful, and they make you feel something. Beneath the lighthearted humor of this show is a dark grit to it that is remeniscent of something from Attack on Titan. Though not as graphically brutal, the show features a level of suspense akin to any life or death scenario for the cast, as to them, it is life or death.

This is another show on Crunchyroll. I recommend checking it out. Especially if you loved Log Horizon or SAO.

Hestia is [censored] awesome.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Razmoudah
Merchant

Re: Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon?

#2 Post by Razmoudah »

Yes, Hestia is an awesome character, and one of the very few likable "big boob" girls I've ever come across, in anime, manga, or games. I just wish there was a second season (unless one happened while I was watching stuff elsewhere).

Hmmm.....I kinda understand, yet kinda argue, your opinion of SAO. Yes, I'd say that overall .hack did a much better job with the theme of people being trapped in an online game, a much, much better job, but SAO does a magnificently better job of explaining how they got trapped, which .hack fails on horribly. I give the first half of the first season of SAO high marks, but I do agree that the second half of the first season feels more like a lame, half-assed excuse to contrive more drama for Kirito and Asuna, with a weird love triangle dynamic thrown in just for the sake of having a loving triangle even though Kirito and Asuna don't have eyes for anyone else. The ending of the first season is fairly good, although why Kirito now seems like he's in the center of a psuedo-harem I still don't get (part of that lame, half-assed excuse to contrive more drama for Kirito and Asuna to me) but it did point the setting in a good direction.

The second season is a rather mixed bag. It starts off on a somewhat sour note, twists and turns in a really weird way over the initial story arc (and adds yet another potential 'love interest' to Kirito, even though he's in a committed relationship, why can't they just be friends?) before finally starting to settle down into something that actually feels like it has a well-thought out overall plot point to go. It concludes on a decent basis for potentially doing a third season, without having to contrive or force anything, while still actually concluding everything brought up in the season, and ultimately it feels like a better done season in the end than the first.

Yeah, I can say I love it/hate it, in nearly equal measure, but despite some of the weird things that almost feel like they got shoe-horned in for the sake of sticking with the dominant current anime memes I would still say that overall it is a well told story, even if it isn't a terribly great story at times, and really that matters more to me. I can easily see why some people can't stand it, as there are other animes, and even games, that have done a better job in the end with the basic premise, but I'd still say it's worth at least a single watch for anyone who enjoys anime in general.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage