Log Horizon

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Log Horizon

#1 Post by The Rookie »

Hey just checking to see if anyone had been keeping up with this new series Log Horizon.

It's another series set in an RPG game similar to SAO, however the players don't know how they got there and that they are unable to die as they just respawn like normal, removing all the super serious undertones of SAO and moving the show in different directions.

So far I've enjoyed this series, so I thought I'd share it with you guys. Let me know what you think :mrgreen:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

Re: Log Horizon

#2 Post by judah4 »

I love the show. :grin: I am current with season 2 right now. I like it focus's more on the group dynamics of an mmo compared to the soloness of the elite player in SAO. It reminds me of the reasons I play, to make friends and creating memories together.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#3 Post by Schrodinger »

I like how Log Horizon takes the trapped in an MMO premise and runs it in a different direction asking how would these people live now that they're trapped. It's completely different tonally from the action heavy SAO or the mystery driven .hack franchise.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#4 Post by Envy661 »

Schrodinger wrote:I like how Log Horizon takes the trapped in an MMO premise and runs it in a different direction asking how would these people live now that they're trapped. It's completely different tonally from the action heavy SAO or the mystery driven .hack franchise.

Imho that's what drives this series far above it's competitors. People have called it a rip of SAO without even watching it, however SAO isn't exactly an original concept either. It's just recent. SAO is also [censored] backwards in a lot of ways, turning strong female protagonists into wimpy damsels in a harem.

Log Horizon is a great concept that not only employs proper MMO procedure and real world elements into the mix, but also has great and positive character development.

Not to mention it has Akatsuki-chan <3
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#5 Post by Schrodinger »

Envy661 wrote:Not to mention it has Akatsuki-chan <3
Look at this adorable goof!

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#6 Post by The Rookie »

Honestly, I sort of lost the plot during season 2. The whole thing with the fox girl and the other players who wanted to spark a war between the kingdoms had me a tad confused a lot of the time.

Another thing; we're all the players around the world pulled into this game, or was it just the Japanese players ? There was something special about the Japanese server that the Chinese crew briefly mentioned, but I can't remember what it was exactly.

Ranalf
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by Ranalf »

The Rookie wrote:Honestly, I sort of lost the plot during season 2. The whole thing with the fox girl and the other players who wanted to spark a war between the kingdoms had me a tad confused a lot of the time.

Another thing; we're all the players around the world pulled into this game, or was it just the Japanese players ? There was something special about the Japanese server that the Chinese crew briefly mentioned, but I can't remember what it was exactly.
The entire world had people pulled into the game. I'm thinking they were only counting the JP players in the intro part, as worldwide, it must be much more than that.
Delicious.
Cool story.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#8 Post by Schrodinger »

Ranalf wrote:
The Rookie wrote:Honestly, I sort of lost the plot during season 2. The whole thing with the fox girl and the other players who wanted to spark a war between the kingdoms had me a tad confused a lot of the time.

The entire world had people pulled into the game. I'm thinking they were only counting the JP players in the intro part, as worldwide, it must be much more than that.
As I recall it was the Japanese launch of the newest expansion that pulled people in. Other regions were either not online or barely missed whatever caused the situation.

Ranalf
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by Ranalf »

Schrodinger wrote:
Ranalf wrote:

As I recall it was the Japanese launch of the newest expansion that pulled people in. Other regions were either not online or barely missed whatever caused the situation.
Huh...Guess I should rewatch to see. I know that the other group that came through China to Japan had someone from the US, and the others are all from Europe.
Delicious.
Cool story.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#10 Post by Schrodinger »

Ranalf wrote:Huh...Guess I should rewatch to see. I know that the other group that came through China to Japan had someone from the US, and the others are all from Europe.
That guy was playing on the Japanese servers, he was importing the game so he got caught too.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#11 Post by Insomniac »

I've watched the first episode. It's...not bad. Could be worse. I'll give it a couple more episodes to draw me in. I'll also post my gripes after I watch another couple episodes too. For now, the fact that they res after they get killed sucks a lot of urgency out of it for me.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#12 Post by The Rookie »

Insomniac wrote:For now, the fact that they res after they get killed sucks a lot of urgency out of it for me.
While that's true it can raise a few other issues, such as being trapped in a world you can't escape no matter what. The show is often pretty light and fun, but there are a few more serious themes now an again. Those don't really show up for a little bit, however.

Regarding death. Not a huge spoiler, but it's a spoiler nun the less.
Spoiler!
While it's true they can be revived, it's revealed later that with each death they lose memories of the real outside world. This becomes particularly important when introduced to a suicide guild, in which members basically let themselves die in battle over and over again just to catch a glimpse of their past in the "re spawn screen", but ultimately go a bit nuts as a result.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#13 Post by Insomniac »

The Rookie wrote:
Insomniac wrote:For now, the fact that they res after they get killed sucks a lot of urgency out of it for me.
While that's true it can raise a few other issues, such as being trapped in a world you can't escape no matter what. The show is often pretty light and fun, but there are a few more serious themes now an again. Those don't really show up for a little bit, however.

Regarding death. Not a huge spoiler, but it's a spoiler nun the less.
Spoiler!
While it's true they can be revived, it's revealed later that with each death they lose memories of the real outside world. This becomes particularly important when introduced to a suicide guild, in which members basically let themselves die in battle over and over again just to catch a glimpse of their past in the "re spawn screen", but ultimately go a bit nuts as a result.
Huh. Well, that certainly restores some of the incentive to stay alive lol.

Middle of second episode because I watch things slowly (yay multitasking!). I like how they actively use intelligent tactics, and while I kinda dislike the whole class thing (making many RPGs just not for me, especially many JRPGs), I like how it gives them a REASON to use good tactics. One thing I do like is, because it's not a VRMMO (though that does make me question how they got stuck in it in the first place, is that ever revealed?) the food doesn't really taste like anything. Poor players lol!
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.