To Aru Kagaku No Railgun

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Myperson54
The Imagineer

To Aru Kagaku No Railgun

#1 Post by Myperson54 »

This one actually goes by a multitude of alternate names, but this one seems to be a favourite. Has anyone seen it? It looks pretty good, and a second season only just began two months ago! (I need a new anime to watch :P )
(Apparently it's a spin-off of A Certain Magical Index... Also, oddly enough, the two shows share a wiki page. :P )

EDIT: These were some of the most critically acclaimed animes in 2010. How did I miss this? O.o

EDIT 2: Now I'm seeing that the two series, including their sequels, although set in the same universe, are entirely different stories! :'( But how do I know if I'm getting enough context? I CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH CONTEXT! (Except for in Nichijou. Then whatever.)

EDIT 3: Alright, I watched the first episode, and honestly, it looks like the best anime I've seen in a long while. 23 more episodes, a movie, and 24 episodes in the new series left to go. After that there's Magical Index... I'm gonna have a full summer!

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

Re: To Aru Kagaku No Railgun

#2 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

Raildex is a pretty ok series. I prefer Railgun over Index due to the fluidness and likable characters in Railgun than in index. The only character I have serious problem in Railgun is "Teleporter"(forgot her name) and that's mainly due to her over-the-top love interest with Biri-biri, not that I mind lesbianism but Teleporter's over-the-topness kind of kills it for me(very much so in episode 2). The main reason I watched the show was because of Misaka and Touma(mostly Misaka due to her tomboyness and electrical powers) relationship. I haven't gone to far into it, I kind of just phase in and out in the series of Railgun. As for Index, I didn't like the nun or the priestess as it feels like it was becoming one of those harem shows and the nun and the priestess are not that interesting to me; so I usually just skip all the scenes not involving Misaka,
Spoiler!
her 20,001 clones
and Accelerator.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#3 Post by Myperson54 »

I believe it's a parallel timeline, but I haven't watched Index at all. From what I understand, you can watch Index and Railgun separately and still understand both.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#4 Post by Myperson54 »

Felix Mage wrote:I could'n wait for the anime to be finished, so I watched it now, alot of things in Index make much more sence now, that I watched this, but damn did I have to start watching it now, before the two animes "collide"? I just can't wait for the next episode. :D
Oh, is Railgun S still being made? I have to catch up!

Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by Nazarov »

I found To aru majutsu no Index a month ago. I finished s1,2 and now I'm watching Railgun (currently I'm at ep 15) after it comes Railgun S. It was a love at first sight!
I like equally Index and Railgun series. Both has very cool/funny characters. The main story is not entirely different. The difference between the two is: Railgun plot takes place before Index ep01. In Index epsiode 01 we saw that Misaka and Touma know each other. We can see in Railgun series how did Misaka and Touma meet.

According to the Railgun season 1 second opening ( I haven't seen the second part yet (ep 15-24) just guessing ) we can see just for a moment Index so the Railgun s01 second part is takes place at Index s01 first path. Huh what a complex sentence :D

I'm guessing again: Railgun S in the end will catch Index story when
Spoiler!
Touma helps Misaka deffeat Accelerator to end the experiment
. The Railgun spinoff is some kind an "expansion pack" for the original series.

After Railgun S I really hope that they will continue the main story with an Index season 3. The season 2 end is very exciting, I really want to see what's happens next. I saw that there are a lot of light novel chapters so there should be next seasons and the series is popular so why not? :)

Oh and there is a movie! It was aired in februarry but since I haven't found anything about it I think they haven't released it yet on DVD, Blue-ray. I'm looking forward it.

By the way my favourite character is Misaka. :wink:

Ps: lol wtf laptop from Railgun Ep10 :grin:
Geo_&_Bio wrote:The only character I have serious problem in Railgun is "Teleporter"(forgot her name)
Kuroko ^^
In my opinion she's fine I always laugh on her when she enters perv mode.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Can anyone tell me what the hell is up with the naming of these series? I haven't watched them (and probably won't for some time) but this keeps bothering me.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#7 Post by Myperson54 »

EvilNinjadude wrote:Can anyone tell me what the hell is up with the naming of these series? I haven't watched them (and probably won't for some time) but this keeps bothering me.
If you want the English names, they're A Certain Scientific Railgun, and A Certain Magical Index.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Myperson54 wrote:
EvilNinjadude wrote:Can anyone tell me what the hell is up with the naming of these series? I haven't watched them (and probably won't for some time) but this keeps bothering me.
If you want the English names, they're A Certain Scientific Railgun, and A Certain Magical Index.
This is Japanese culture. The names don't have to mean anything in relation to the story. Unless they do, in which case you should tell me, since I asked. :P

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Felix Mage wrote:Well, Index is name of the female hero
Srs, Japan always is.

DragonTamer1
Apprentice
Location: Filling the skies with burning wreckage from my doomed plane

#10 Post by DragonTamer1 »

Just got done watching both series in sub and dub, thoroughly enjoyed both of them. I refer the Railgun series more probably because of the fluidity of the story line. The index series felt like it was "inconsistent" in certain areas. This could just be the fact that I understand more of what's going on in Railgun than I do Index.