Shingeki no Kyojin

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

Shingeki no Kyojin

#1 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

What do you get when you cross Spiderman, Steam-punk Aesthetics and Shadow of the Colossus?

You'll get Shingeki no Kyojin; or in English, Attack on Titan, else-wise known in commie as Eoten Onslaught.

For those who do not know, but might be interested:

Humans are on the verge of extinction and only 3 major walls keeps them from total annihilation from an entity known as Titans. These Giant beasts with varying sizes, literally, have only one motive, to kill all humans. Peace descended upon the land for a century for humans since their walls were placed, however peace is soon disrupted by chaos when a Super Titan called the Colossus type breaks down a segment of the wall and unleashes hell upon those in the outer wall. Eren Jaeger, a young boy with ambition to escape the cage known as the walls, along with Armin, a smart but frail young lad, and Misaka, Eren's pseudo step-sister, and joins the military to become part of an elite force known as the Scout's Legion and end the Titan plague once and for all. Along their way they will meet interesting characters who will help them fulfill this dream and they soon learn that not everything is what it seems(Mysteries all over the place).

The Manga is up to Chapter 45 of the series and the Anime is currently on Episode 5, with Episode 6 coming out tomorrow.

Currently read through the manga and waiting for more.

Anywho, if anyone is still interested, here is the link to one of the Trailers to see if you want to be hooked on it:
Attack on Titan Trailer
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

supervanman64
Too Curious For His Own Good

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin

#2 Post by supervanman64 »

I saw a clip of the opening song of it a few days ago and checked it out, actually. It's pretty cool. I'm going to have to keep track of this one!

Let me say this: the opening song is AMAZING. Check it out yourself! :kathrin:

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by SirSlaughter »

I for one am eager to watch it. But I want to have all the episodes available to me at once because I like to do anime Splurges where I watch an entire series in either 1 night or a couple of days. But this looks friggin amazing.
EDIT: It turns out that a live action version of this may be on store:

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

supervanman64 wrote:
Let me say this: the opening song is AMAZING. Check it out yourself! :kathrin:
I have to say, that OP song is definitely amazing, one of the few anime OPs that I can enjoy visually and musically. Its definitely up there in my top 5 next to original Soul Eater OP and GITS:SAC OP.
SirSlaughter wrote: EDIT: It turns out that a live action version of this may be on store:

[pic]
I'm a bit hesitant with the movie if it were to come out. Most movies adaptations of shows tend to be horrid in comparison, mainly because its all the show/first season stuffed in 2 hours and mainly because of how it is written to compensate for it. I pray it will be a good adventurous movie, but I'm still taking caution to it.

supervanman64
Too Curious For His Own Good

#5 Post by supervanman64 »

SirSlaughter wrote:EDIT: It turns out that a live action version of this may be on store:

-pic-
That is the coolest movie poster I have seen. I love how true to the look of the series it seems. :kathrin:

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Suddenly everyone is losing their minds about this.

Fridge: Is this set on a planet made entirely of smooth flat solid rock or sand? Because nobody seems to have gotten the idea to move to an Island or into the mountains, or even underground.

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

EvilNinjadude wrote:Suddenly everyone is losing their minds about this.

Fridge: Is this set on a planet made entirely of smooth flat solid rock or sand? Because nobody seems to have gotten the idea to move to an Island or into the mountains, or even underground.
-Depends on the island, most wouldn't be good for farming and even if they could farm most of those wouldn't an entire population of the remaining humans.
-Mountains, they have those within the walls actually, I believe either Sasha came from there or Bert and Reiner did. Either way it still wouldn't be able to hold a population and feed it at the same time.
-Underground, this would actually be useful, if they could manage to farm underground and whatnot, but even then Titans could punch right through the ground. ex:
Spoiler!
Annie was able to punch through to the sewers in order to get to Eren, via stomping.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Geo_&_Bio wrote:
EvilNinjadude wrote:Suddenly everyone is losing their minds about this.

-Depends on the island, most wouldn't be good for farming and even if they could farm most of those wouldn't an entire population of the remaining humans.
-Mountains, they have those within the walls actually, I believe either Sasha came from there or Bert and Reiner did. Either way it still wouldn't be able to hold a population and feed it at the same time.
-Underground, this would actually be useful, if they could manage to farm underground and whatnot, but even then Titans could punch right through the ground. ex:
Spoiler!
Annie was able to punch through to the sewers in order to get to Eren, via stomping.
If you can punch through the ground into a cavern, ya should be able to punch a wall. Just saying.

Unless ooOOooOOOOOOOo~ anime magic.

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#9 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

EvilNinjadude wrote: If you can punch through the ground into a cavern, ya should be able to punch a wall. Just saying.

Unless ooOOooOOOOOOOo~ anime magic.
They actually have a solution for this, but I won't spoil it, not yet anyways. But I will say that the walls are indeed sturdier than you would think.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Felix Mage wrote:Well, on the islands, farming isn't the only way to get food, peoples on islands are mostly living from fishing.
Also they could possibly build some sort of "city on water", either floating or standing on some sort of pillars.
Exactly. Make it happen. People on Hawaii live, no?

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#11 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

Felix Mage wrote:Well, on the islands, farming isn't the only way to get food, peoples on islands are mostly living from fishing.
Also they could possibly build some sort of "city on water", either floating or standing on some sort of pillars.
EvilNinjadude wrote:Exactly. Make it happen. People on Hawaii live, no?
Again, you have to deal with the number of people who are going to be living there. The setting's population exceeds far more than 250 thousand, possibly even well over 20 million If I had to guess. Just because some people live in Hawaii does not mean the rest of humanity can. The only island that I could see working is Australia, but even so, living on an island does not guarantee safety. Titans are apparently abnormally light, meaning buoyancy may not be a problem for them. Even if not, the Titans have no need to eat or breathe and their skin and structure is pretty tough so even if they are not buoyant, they could still walk upon the ocean floor and attack from there.

Edit: I am pretty sure that Hawaii also imports about 85% of its food, so saying "People on Hawaii live" with its current population is kind of a moot statement.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#12 Post by EvilNinjadude »

I'm not saying everyone should totally move out of that fortress to cram onto an Island. What I AM saying is that they shouldn't all cram into that fortress instead of an Island. It says that this is the last of humanity, so wouldn't putting all your eggs in one basket be, you know, a bad idea?

It's not like splitting the party would make things worse from a survival aspect. You're dealing with giant enemies in smaller numbers here. At least relatively speaking.

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

EvilNinjadude wrote:I'm not saying everyone should totally move out of that fortress to cram onto an Island. What I AM saying is that they shouldn't all cram into that fortress instead of an Island. It says that this is the last of humanity, so wouldn't putting all your eggs in one basket be, you know, a bad idea?

It's not like splitting the party would make things worse from a survival aspect. You're dealing with giant enemies in smaller numbers here. At least relatively speaking.
Splitting the party might actually be worse in this case than sticking together, at least in terms of civilization. Remember that their technology is pretty low-tech and means of communications are practically be paper or mouth. That means if you wish to communicate with the islanders, you'll have to venture in Titan territory to get there. Even if you had people who knew of the territory to get there, you'd still be in great danger to get to them. Also, you would need people to go out of the super-fortress and colonize in which would often lead to death.

Since the Titan population is considered unknown, but often described as innumerous, it is impossible to tell if when you split the group up, the Titans become less than a previous hoard, seeing how the Titans seem to know how send wave after wave instead of a giant clusterf---. But even so, having less people trying to kill them will only make matters worse, seeing how the death-rates for the Garrison and Scouting legions are pretty high, having less people will mean having a higher death-rate and less people to guard the incredibly large, long and sturdy wall(Or at least the gates seeing how those are the weakest segments of the wall.)

As for eggs in baskets, its also very hard to determine if they are truly the last of their kind, it is often implied but we do not know if others have done the same thing as well.

avengedplatypus
The Local Platypus

#14 Post by avengedplatypus »

this is my first time in the Anime Board...
that alone, speaks TONS about this Anime... I'm not even a huge anime fan. but after watching all 10 episodes 2 nights ago, I felt like I needed to find some people to talk about it with.