Sword Art Online

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

Sword Art Online

#1 Post by Envy661 »

Is there seriously not a thread about this? This is one of the most talked about recent anime in the entirety of the Otaku nation.

Sword Art Online is about a game by the same name. It's similar to .Hack//Signs, only the storytelling isn't terrible, and it actually possesses action sequences and some solid romance plots.
The protagonist essentially gets trapped in the game, along with the other 10,000 people who were able to get a launch copy of the game. The game's developer set a rule in which you can only leave the game if you clear the highest level of the dungeon, and those who die in the game also die in real life. The technology that the game runs on is called Nerve-gear. It's a neural interface simulator that allows full access to your in-game character. Your brain is basically hooked up to the device so you can play.

The anime is very good. I haven't given the manga a shot yet though. It's a typical 25-ish episode series, and is currently ongoing.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Sword Art Online

#2 Post by Nazarov »

My friend showed it me today. I just now finished the first episode, it's really very good.
In the first part of the episode there was nothing special, I didn't suspect what will be the main story and what story can they make about a game but when the guy can't log out I figured out right away :)
The announcement scene was a big shock and it turned into a very exciting and gripping story. I'll watch it for sure!

Arelon
Traveler

#3 Post by Arelon »

I can only complain about the second season
Spoiler!
Sister in love with brother
I still watched it, and still enjoyed it however
~Webcomics are quickly becoming my favorite form of creative writing and art ~
ImageImage

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#4 Post by judah4 »

Arelon wrote:I can only complain about the second season
Spoiler!
Sister in love with brother
I still watched it, and still enjoyed it however
Spoiler!
They are cousins but yeah, that was still a weird part.
Other than that, I love the series and Im waiting for the 3rd season and the light novels to be printed so I can read the rest of the stories :P

Arelon
Traveler

#5 Post by Arelon »

Spoiler!
Gungale Online, I dont even think this is a spoiler
My question for the characters of this show... why do you keep going into these games after this happened not just one time, but twice where you were at risk of dying
~Webcomics are quickly becoming my favorite form of creative writing and art ~
ImageImage

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#6 Post by Insomniac »

Arelon wrote:
Spoiler!
My question for the characters of this show... why do you keep going into these games after this happened not just one time, but twice where you were at risk of dying
To be fair, it was only the first game where people died for real. The second game
Spoiler!
was just run by a sadist that was doing illegal brainwashing experiments on about 300 of the survivors of the first game so he could sell the technology, and had a thing irl for the main character's lady.
Other than that, Alfheim was just your garden variety VR MMORPG, really. I personally am looking forward to season 2.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#7 Post by Myperson54 »

Insomniac wrote:
Arelon wrote:
Spoiler!
To be fair, it was only the first game where people died for real. The second game
Spoiler!
was just run by a sadist that was doing illegal brainwashing experiments on about 300 of the survivors of the first game so he could sell the technology, and had a thing irl for the main character's lady.
Other than that, Alfheim was just your garden variety VR MMORPG, really. I personally am looking forward to season 2.
Exactly. And after
Spoiler!
the world seed was activated, the idea was that vrMMOs would grow to be accepted by society. What I got out of it was that even though people died in the original SAO, it was still a real, immersive experience, and not improving upon it was useless.
As much as I thought the storytelling declined in Alfheim Online, I still thought it was good, and I look forward to the next season! I mean really. A "Sunshine smooth" studios breakaway doing a show about guns? Hell yeah.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#8 Post by Insomniac »

Myperson54 wrote:
Insomniac wrote:
Arelon wrote:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Exactly. And after
Spoiler!
the world seed was activated, the idea was that vrMMOs would grow to be accepted by society. What I got out of it was that even though people died in the original SAO, it was still a real, immersive experience, and not improving upon it was useless.
As much as I thought the storytelling declined in Alfheim Online, I still thought it was good, and I look forward to the next season! I mean really. A "Sunshine smooth" studios breakaway doing a show about guns? Hell yeah.
I particularly loved the romance between
Spoiler!
Kirito and Asuna
. It didn't feel forced in the slightest, unlike most other romances I've seen. It developed over two years during which they were among less than 10,000 others all fighting to survive on a daily basis. I would've been surprised if there HADN'T been romances that developed between the survivors over all that time.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#9 Post by Tuna »

Just watched it...thoughts:

Arc 1 : Very nice - it had nice pacing, a definitely strong sense of urgency, and it was a neat study of human psychology under extreme circumstances. The ending of the arc would have made a *perfect* ending to the anime.

Arc 2 : Seriously, wtf. The villain could not have been more overdone if he had a long mustache to twirl as he tied her to some railroad tracks. It was cookie cutter drama, the secondary romance was awkward, and the resolution was totally forced. In fact, the whole arc seemed like we were just pushed through it at high speed. Awful. Just awful.

All in all, if I'd stopped at the first arc, I'd be singing its praises...but with that second half? ...and a likely third??

6/10

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#10 Post by Insomniac »

Tuna wrote:Just watched it...thoughts:

Arc 1 : Very nice - it had nice pacing, a definitely strong sense of urgency, and it was a neat study of human psychology under extreme circumstances. The ending of the arc would have made a *perfect* ending to the anime.

Arc 2 : Seriously, wtf. The villain could not have been more overdone if he had a long mustache to twirl as he tied her to some railroad tracks. It was cookie cutter drama, the secondary romance was awkward, and the resolution was totally forced. In fact, the whole arc seemed like we were just pushed through it at high speed. Awful. Just awful.

All in all, if I'd stopped at the first arc, I'd be singing its praises...but with that second half? ...and a likely third??

6/10
*huff* well I loved it overall. And not likely third, announced and confirmed for July.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#11 Post by Myperson54 »

Insomniac wrote:

6/10
*huff* well I loved it overall. And not likely third, announced and confirmed for July.
Agreed. While I could've done without... /one particular/ scene (You know the one) and while I did feel as though the second half was kinda forced, I still loved it for its pacing and storytelling, which I thought was spot-on.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#12 Post by Schrodinger »

Maybe I just have different tastes but I could not stay interested enough to even make it to the second half. The time skips and Gary Stu protagonist just keep me from getting invested.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#13 Post by Insomniac »

Myperson54 wrote:
Insomniac wrote:

6/10
Agreed. While I could've done without... /one particular/ scene (You know the one) and while I did feel as though the second half was kinda forced, I still loved it for its pacing and storytelling, which I thought was spot-on.
I might know which scene, but which scene?

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#14 Post by Myperson54 »

Insomniac wrote:
Myperson54 wrote:
Insomniac wrote:

6/10
The one in which
Spoiler!
Asuna is exploring Yggdrasil and is attacked by tentacle monsters.
It's one of the few scenes that to me made absolutely no sense to include.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#15 Post by Insomniac »

Myperson54 wrote:
Insomniac wrote:
Myperson54 wrote:
Insomniac wrote:

6/10
The one in which
Spoiler!
Asuna is exploring Yggdrasil and is attacked by tentacle monsters.
It's one of the few scenes that to me made absolutely no sense to include.
Yeah...I figured that would be the scene, hah. I didn't hate it, but...I honestly just let the little head think and judge during that scene. Wrongidy-wrong? Yes. Care? Not much.