Subs or Dubs?

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Sub or Dub?

Sub
46%
Dub
26%
Either
28%

Total votes: 50

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

Re: Subs or Dubs?

#16 Post by Envy661 »

Seven people aren't otaku enough...

I don't hate dubs... usually, but often times, dubs can completely ruin a show, whether it be a poor wording that was perfectly captured in the sub, but the dub killed with a simple word change, or terrible voice acting completely killing one of the most powerful moments in a series.

In the end, if you're used to watching subs, and you watch the subbed version first, the dubbed version is ruined for you, and sadly enough, this does NOT work both ways. Subs are almost always better, except in rare occasions, such as Gundam dubs or specific DBZ dubs.

Trigun is better dubbed as well.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Evilsqirrel
Council Member

#17 Post by Evilsqirrel »

I personally don't like dubs because it usually ends with bad voice acting and mistranslations.
Even when watching subs, I can find points where things were lost in translation.

I remember I was watching some random anime I found on Netflix because I did not feel like scouring the internet for anime and the voice acting was god-awful. The 12 year old kid sounded like he was in his 20's, the 60 year old woman sounded like she was 12, and it was just overall unpleasant.

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

#18 Post by TheDragonfiend »

I SUBmited my vote *Eh eh... awww*
ImageImageImage

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#19 Post by Insomniac »

There needs to be an option for "Depends on the quality". For example, there are multiple anime where even the creator of the manga felt the dub was better, and even where the Japanese voice actors felt the dub was better. That being said, it's just as common if not more so for the sub to be better. So for me, it really depends on the quality.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#20 Post by Schrodinger »

Insomniac wrote:There needs to be an option for "Depends on the quality". For example, there are multiple anime where even the creator of the manga felt the dub was better, and even where the Japanese voice actors felt the dub was better. That being said, it's just as common if not more so for the sub to be better. So for me, it really depends on the quality.
I'm in the same camp there.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

dtlux1

#21 Post by dtlux1 »

I double posted and don't know how to delete messages, sorry :mike:
I am new here. I've been reading Twokinds since 2014! :natani: :keith:

dtlux1

#22 Post by dtlux1 »

dtlux1 wrote:It depends on the Anime and situation. I love subdued, but when I am tired I go with dubbed. I like to hear the Japanese audio, but I also like it in English. I will have to go with either, as it depends on the situation.
:mike:
Also, if you watch Pokemon, many of the stories are changed a lot in the dub.
I am new here. I've been reading Twokinds since 2014! :natani: :keith:

ajwilli1
Apprentice

#23 Post by ajwilli1 »

[PURGE]

HeroOfHype
Traveler

#24 Post by HeroOfHype »

truly depends. there are some dubs that infinitely outshine the subs (Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagaan)

but some dubs suck too, so...

obi-wan
Templar Master

#25 Post by obi-wan »

HeroOfHype wrote:truly depends. there are some dubs that infinitely outshine the subs (Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagaan)

but some dubs suck too, so...
here the ending of session 24 Hard Luck Woman (a really nice song)
in japanes with subtitles
and doubled
by the way in the lyric say
confusion creeps inside me raining doubts or confusion creeps inside me raining down?

here ending of session 25 part 2 The Real Folk Blues Part 2(the end of the best anime ever)
in japanes with subtitles(begins at 14:00 I couldn't found it shorter)
and doubled
May the force be with you

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#26 Post by Insomniac »

Felix Mage wrote:The only dub I really dislike is English.
Somehow EVERY English dub I ever watched was inferior to the Japanese original, whether it be poor voice acting or things etting lost in the translation.
With Czech dub, it is often the opposite:
very good voice acting, fitting voice actors(I really dislike when the voice actors are completely different types of voices in the original and the dub.), and while some things occasionally do get lost in the translation, it happens much less frequently than in English dub.
Not that this will be of any use to anybody, since you more likely speak Japanese than Czech :D
If you haven't watched the English dub of Baccano!, I highly recommend it. Even the original Japanese voice actors like the English dub better. Which is pretty uncommon.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#27 Post by Schrodinger »

Felix Mage wrote:I have not watched the English dub of Baccano, I will give it a try when I get the time though, to see if it really is as good as you say.
It is. Trust me it is.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

primalcaller ergos
Templar GrandMaster
Location: many places at once all around reality and outside it at the same time, thought i am astral projetin

#28 Post by primalcaller ergos »

The sub Option is winning. Booyah!

I don't know why I prefer subs, I just do.

However, one common trend I notice is that I tend to have a preference that actually is depenent on the setting of the anime itself.

Black Butler was set in victorian england, and I liked the dub of that way better.

Stein's;Gate was Set is akihabara, I prefer the subs way more for that one.
(The dub got rid of the "I am mad scientist, is so cool sunnavabich" part (;_;) )

Spice and wolf is also set in europe as far as I can tell, I liked dub of it way better.

when I watched Birdy the mighty only 2 episodes had been dubbed at that point in time,
so while those were good the rest of the episodes I watched subbed and I liked them more.

I will have to wait and see what attack on titan does with its dub then.
You must train you eyes so strenuously to see the truth but when you do, a whole new world opens up for as you keen observation allows you to know more about some one than they know about themselves, this is called psychology - me