Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Arachnion As Captain Jack
Templar Inner Circle

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

#1 Post by Arachnion As Captain Jack »

..because we needed a thread for this.

Please try to avoid spoilers, such as the manly-tear inducing event in episode 8, and what happens to Nia at the end.

For those of you not familiar, let me sum it up for you.

Lonely orphan Simon lives in an underground village, digging for ancient artifacts and eating pigmoles. His self-appointed big brother, Kamina, is a hot-headed idiot gang leader/delinquent who dreams of going to the "Surface" like his father, despite the elder's insistence that there's no such thing.

Then Simon discovers a strange drill-shaped key and, later on, a pint-sized mecha that seems to respond to the key.

Taking his brother to see it, they're interrupted by, in turn, the elder, the roof collapsing, a massive bestial robotic head (which Kamina faces off against with just a katana), and Yoko, a woman with a very big gun and very little clothing firing at said beast-mecha — a "Gunmen".

Thus begins perhaps the most epic anime, ever.

EVER.

Discuss.
Iwaku
"But the percentage is almost zero!"
"THE PERCENTAGE MEANS NOTHING! WITH A COURAGEOUS HEART, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! FINAL FUSION APPROVED!"-GaoGaiGar.

My Let's Play (Updates Irregularly)

Pteroid
Grand Templar

Re: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

#2 Post by Pteroid »

I watch this when it's on Sci-Fi, it's one of the best animes ever.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#3 Post by Schrodinger »

Arachnion As Captain Jack wrote:Thus begins perhaps the most epic anime, ever.

EVER.
Quoted for truth.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Harb
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Harb »

way too gaudy and hectical...
[under construction]

Saki
Council Member

#5 Post by Saki »

:3 I cant help but like Kamina >=D who the hell do you think I am? And yoko's pretty cool D=< but I wanted her to be with Simon >> I want a Kamina cosplay and those glasses I just dont know where to get a pair.
when in doubt use a crowbar

Blazeofspikes
Council Member

#6 Post by Blazeofspikes »

I looked for it but can't find it. could you link it for me please?

Fireball0236
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by Fireball0236 »

I never looked for streaming something, but if you want a torrent.

Fox_Flame
Traveler

#8 Post by Fox_Flame »

If it's possible for anyone to find the last two episodes please tell me.
working on an avatar.... need to get better at drawing first

Fireball0236
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by Fireball0236 »

Do you mean episode 26 and 27? Those are in the torrent above your post.

If you mean the special episodes noted as S1 and S6 on AniDB, you can try through eD2K links.

Zen-Karma
Citizen

#10 Post by Zen-Karma »

I actually never jumped on this bandwagon. (Which is surprising seeing that Mecha is one of my favorite genre's of anime.)

I mean, I watched the anime yes... but (and I'm going to get killed for this) wasn't that impressed. Indeed it was good, but I would never put it under the label of "best anime ever." I dunno why, but I never really connected with any of the characters, and the mecha designs were not in my tastes.

Now the closest things to this that I can think of that I enjoyed was "GaoGaiGar" and "Gunbuster." I dunno why, but with TTGL, I just couldn't get into it that well.

Talaisan
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by Talaisan »

Mmmm so many flavors of delicious. Yes, I could have gone and started a new thread instead of using threadomancy powers of epic power, but inadvisable and irresponsible use of power without a single thought to consequences is the hallmark of this show.

It's interesting to watch with a 3 year old, (very convenient that all 27 episodes are available on YouTube as a single playlist) as he starts demanding "More! More!" as soon as the end credits start to roll. We're only four episodes in, watching for an hour and some change this morning, probably more each morning as we go on.

Is it just me, or does Kamina's womanizing, bravado and complete lack of diplomacy reek of Captain Kirk?
Marian's Tale 1-4 and 5-? - Rated R. Sex, kink, spies, nobility, scandal, plots, ploys, and one poor, confused college girl stuck in the middle.
My FurAffinity : Stories and fantasy garb.

Volgaia
Templar GrandMaster

#12 Post by Volgaia »

Harb wrote:way too gaudy and hectical...
I think that's why I fell in love with the show.

Typically I find myself the kind of person who enjoys a more serious show where you have to pay attention, or the show is based more on character development than action; but somehow, this show went guns blazing toward the path of cliché... and they managed to knock the cliché out of their cliché while doing it. Sure the fights are pretty much won with blood, sweat, tears, and roughly 20,000 decibels of yelling; That's what I came in expecting, and I was happy that met my expectations and gave me so much more. Rather than simply scraping by with victory, fights were fought and won on a scale of ridiculousness that even the term "insanity" can't describe it.
Spoiler!
In the final fight against the Anti-Spiral, the mechs just so happen to to be many times larger than an entire galaxy. Not to mention, for some reason, the galaxies themselves happen to behave like solid objects.
I also love the whole element of willpower that's exuded in the show. For some reason, I find Kamina's speeches (as well as many other monologues by other people) to be oddly inspiring. And it makes me feel like I can take on the world. Honestly, can you listen to some of the show's tracks and not feel inspired? There's very few shows that I choose to keep on my internal hard drive, but this show has earned it's spot in my computer... and my heart.
[Under Construction... Again]

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#13 Post by Sage Asuka »

hah, what a funny time to see this thread. My roommate's bf just finally talked my roommate into watching it and has been having 'many' debates over how awful the show is because Yoko's fanservice and Kamina being a perv :roll:

As for my own opinion...I ADORE this show! It's like getting a shot of adrenaline. I watched it during a very low point in my life. I was being overwhelmed with work I hated and just felt like giving up. Then I came across this show and it gave me a few views that have just generally made me happier and made me realize that this is my life so if I put all my effort into it I can make it into whatever I want. There are no limits except the ones I set!

As far as the characters go, I loved all of them. Especially Viral >w< I'm a total Viral fangirl. He's such an awkward, moe kitty shark. But before I watched this I was rather convinced I'd hate Yoko too because, yeah, she's obvious fanservice. But that was completely forgotten as she's fanservice with a badass weapon who's capable of fighting without a giant mecha.

And originally I hated Kittan...and then he became awesome and I cried. I didn't think I could cry anymore for this show but no, it proved me wrong.
Image Image Image Image

supervanman64
Too Curious For His Own Good

#14 Post by supervanman64 »

I believe Aze introduced me to this anime, and I'm sure glad he did. X3 It's one of my fave animes of all time. It's inspiring and epic. :kathrin:

MChammerpenguin
Master

#15 Post by MChammerpenguin »

I first watched the series a little over a year ago and I re-watched it this past summer. My first time watching a really only saw the top layer of the show but when I re-watched it I viewed it more as a very interesting take on humanity. I do find it interesting how the show displays human nature and development. I do feel like the show is hyped up a little to much, but it is definitely a worthwhile watch for any anime fans.
  ▲
▲ ▲
HERE COMES THE STORM