Kickstart, books and bonus...

A place to discuss the production of the second book in the Twokinds series.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
Amanu
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 2:40 am

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#16 Post by Amanu »

Finally, my coin jar will come in use. Just have to cash it in and I'll be getting something. Just hope it's enough for something good.
Image

User avatar
Draconian23
Master
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:17 pm
Location: US Armed Forces, America

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#17 Post by Draconian23 »

Nazarov wrote:New goal. We MUST beat this, I want it :D

$100,000 REWARD: 2x / WEEK UPDATE SCHEDULE
You know, I used to like two kinds. the art and the plot drew you in from the get go, and the comic updated pretty frequently; however, the day came when the art got uber-fancy (not that I complained) and he slowed to one comic a week. And then tom started asking for donations. He promised 'extra' comics and such, and we trusted him, and then finals came, and then that vacation came. He got in a few extra comics, but then they just stopped, with one strip a week since before I deployed to iraq. Then here comes the kickstarter campaign, and people like the above quoted Naz, who neglect to realize that x2 strips a week used to be the standard, not an extra that was tacked onto a donation campaign that was only half-assed.

I dont mean to be harsh, but until I see the books in hand for the people that ordered them, I'll call BS all day, waiting for the normalcy of two strips a week to return.

:potatoes:

User avatar
Neko-Maya
Council Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:34 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#18 Post by Neko-Maya »

Question: If I get the 10$ pledge, do I get the digital download as immidiate, or is that comic not done yet?
HI, I'M NEOTHETA. BLUBBLUBBLUB and I'm inactive here!
DeviantArtFuraffinityWebsite

BaronVictor
Citizen
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#19 Post by BaronVictor »

Draconian23 wrote:
Nazarov wrote:New goal. We MUST beat this, I want it :D

$100,000 REWARD: 2x / WEEK UPDATE SCHEDULE
You know, I used to like two kinds. the art and the plot drew you in from the get go, and the comic updated pretty frequently; however, the day came when the art got uber-fancy (not that I complained) and he slowed to one comic a week. And then tom started asking for donations. He promised 'extra' comics and such, and we trusted him, and then finals came, and then that vacation came. He got in a few extra comics, but then they just stopped, with one strip a week since before I deployed to iraq. Then here comes the kickstarter campaign, and people like the above quoted Naz, who neglect to realize that x2 strips a week used to be the standard, not an extra that was tacked onto a donation campaign that was only half-assed.

I dont mean to be harsh, but until I see the books in hand for the people that ordered them, I'll call BS all day, waiting for the normalcy of two strips a week to return.

:potatoes:
I don't want to get into a big argument over this, but I generally feel like for (for the most part) free entertainment, people should feel like the person providing the entertainment has an obligation to the fans to maintain a schedule that is faster than he or she feels is comfortable for them. I do feel that the promise for extra comics and the donations do lend a little more weight to your argument, but is it really reasonable to ask someone to prioritize creating entertainment for someone else, over their finals, or to devote himself to creating content (again, for someone else's entertainment) over a vacation (consider the fact that creativity tends to suffer under stress).

I do not mean this as if to say "we must all live at Tom's creative whim" but I mean this to say, I'd rather have quality content done at a pace that is comfortable for Tom, rather than say "Comics twice a week was standard, why should it change if it gets uncomfortable for Tom to keep at that pace?"

Neko-Maya wrote:Question: If I get the 10$ pledge, do I get the digital download as immidiate, or is that comic not done yet?
There was a comment on the Kickstarter page, where Tom said that it won't be immediate, but would be significantly faster than the print versions.
I don't mean to brag, but I can make the Kessel Run in only 11 parsecs.

User avatar
Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#20 Post by Nazarov »

Well I started to reading this comic about March, 2011. In that time there was 1 update/week. I didn't know that formerly it were 2 updates/week.

Tendo
Master
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#21 Post by Tendo »

I don't remember if it was 2x or 3x a week before, but yeah, I didn't really have a problem with Tom having to move to a 1x a week schedule because he couldn't keep up the pace with work and school. Its a free webcomic after all, not like Tom owes anyone here anything or its his job, and real life comes first. One thing I was worried about is that for some reason, while most webcomics update 3X a week and tend to stay on schedule, webcomics that seem to update once a week or two weeks, despite the extra time, ALWAYS seem to constantly miss updates, I'm glad that Tom didn't fall into that spiral though and Twokinds is typically updated once a week.

What I do kinda have a problem though is the whole donation thing he had before. The extra comics are still listed as "Comics owed: 8", and its been that way for a while. I don't remember fully, but I think when it was over he owed 12 or so comics total, and that was a LONG time ago, yet this still isn't halfway done. Granted, he had no idea people would donate that much and I remember his exact words being "Please Stop!" when the donations started to skyrocket.... but still, people gave money for these extra comics and its been a year or so now...

(A bit off-topic but: One thing I also don't get is how these 3x or more a week webcomic authors tend to apologize so much when they are forced to miss an update because of real life issues, I mean, again, they are doing these for free and its not like they owe anyone 3x updates a week, anyone who gets angry because something happened to the author's personal life needs help, yet the authors always apologize like its a big deal graduations or a crisis in the family or something like that got in the way of updating a free webcomic, really don't feel the author needs to apologize for things like that.)

User avatar
rebelshrub
Council Member
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#22 Post by rebelshrub »

Well Well, and here I was thinking we were all good readers. Tom has been busy, very much so with his own life and keeping us entertained every wed while he worked the whole time. He must cut down the production at some point. How would you feel if you were drawing 2 pages every week on top of everything you do? Some might be able too, but Tom has to have time for him. So he cut down to one page, that's fine. And now he's offering to go back to 2 pages a week because (and I qoute) "This is something I've been preparing myself for for a long time, and I feel I am finally ready" which means he feels that with his new style, he can double production. Now I dont know about you, but I would feel appreciation! So what if it makes Tom some money, Isnt it all it all in the aid of 2kinds? We should only be so lucky as to help a guy like him get money. Isnt this what money is about? Trading currency for something of equal or greater value?

*Whew*.... sorry about that.... I ramble....

User avatar
foxlord
Elder foxy
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:36 pm
Location: sitting in a chair, drinking tea and griping

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#23 Post by foxlord »

I remember the 3x a week schedule and Master Fischbach is doing the best he can. I know what he's going through, as we're nearly the same age, and it's rough. Very busy time and he has to manage what he can. He'll get everything done in time, just be patient.
The elder has spoken! Ex-Brony Slayer.

Take two old white men, fuse them together, and they become a black ginger with an obsession for power. - Invidian

User avatar
RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Out of the frying pan.
Contact:

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#24 Post by RedDwarfIV »

My goodness.

Less than $8000 to 2X-a-week comics.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
detrius
Citizen
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:54 am

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#25 Post by detrius »

Image

User avatar
RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Out of the frying pan.
Contact:

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#26 Post by RedDwarfIV »

detrius wrote:
Image
And proud of it.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#27 Post by Nazarov »

^ Me too!

100k$ reached! August will be a super month. :)
I'm curious about what will be the next goal and reward.

User avatar
BlackstripeTiger
Apprentice
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:00 pm
Location: Outside, howling at the moon

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#28 Post by BlackstripeTiger »

^how about Tom making a super awesome animated image of the entire cast partying over the KS succes

on a side note, why is it so hard to get hold of a credit card (;_;) ,at least i found a way to make to join in on the festivities
Image
Image

DeviantArt

Mew? "Little One"? Who's that? Flora, comic 543

User avatar
Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#29 Post by Nazarov »

New goals :)

$123,456 Goal: Wallpaper Pack
$135,000 Goal: Live Streaming Event for Backers!

BaronVictor
Citizen
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Kickstart, books and bonus...

#30 Post by BaronVictor »

The one thing I'm concerned about, with these goals, is that, while I understand that Tom is doing them to try to keep pledges from dropping off, and giving people a reason to back it/keep people who are already backing it from dropping their pledges down to a lower level, if they originally backed higher so that it would be sure to reach $100,000, but I'm afraid that this will begin to spiral out of control, with more and more goals, as each new one is reached. Tom will be even busier, with, in addition to the 2x/week updating, the processing of all the kickstarter orders, and dealing with the Full print runs of the books, which likely means setting up an online store, and contacting brick and mortar retailers about potentially putting it in their shelves. I just fear he'll spread himself too thin with all the things he will end up promising.
I don't mean to brag, but I can make the Kessel Run in only 11 parsecs.

Locked