The roleplay idea and common sense topic

All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

Blarg n' Stein
Templar GrandMaster

Re: The roleplay idea and common sense topic

#106 Post by Blarg n' Stein »

Idea 1: A Day in the Life of Joe

I was thinking of RP ideas, but then I realized, that we haven't had many RP's in which you aren't Jesus on an international operation into the Sahara Desert to bust a terrorist group.
In this idea, you are an average/anthromorphic Joe. You can be a Neko, Furry, or Human, if you want to be something else then ask. I'll most likely say yes because it doesn't matter. You are a normal person, in modern America. (minus the horrid economy so it's more laid back) As noted in the parentheses this is very laid back, like a 'make friends and do stuff' sort of RP. You aren't on an epic mission, (unless of course you are working for like a government agency or something.) There is no overpowered in this. All you have to do is explain how you got everything big in your bio. This took a matter of seconds to come up with so I don't expect much but the idea is out there.

Idea 2: Psi-Center

You are a Prisoner Of War, (P.O.W.) taken by the R.L.A., (Resistance Legions of America). You each have a Psyonic power. You know that you are a soldier, and you know your first initial and last name, you remember nothing else. It's hard for me to explain without giving much story away.

MandyHabato
Citizen

#107 Post by MandyHabato »

i wike the second one, just because i hate sandboxes/stuff with absolutely no plot. sandboxes dwindle and die, but giving a goal and plot to work with help stuff grow flourish and come to it's eventual end, like a good story. It's not fun to read about somebody's normal life, because we all have that, but it is fun to watch that guy go from normal Joe, to omg-monster-killing-hero-savior-Joe, after he saved the world/country from evil, or, conversely, destroyed the evil government. More interesting, even, would be a group of bad guy's taking down the government! Because, every loves heroes, but secretly, we would rather be the villeins, and do it right. Lookit that! I just cam up with a good story! But, back to yours, i like you second thing, because, for some reason, i love seeing the hero/my char be captured by the enemy. XD anyway, if you did that, you could count me in.
I hate you! Die! Die! Die until blood blows out your face holes! I hate all the thingsss!

snuffles11
Traveler

#108 Post by snuffles11 »

Are there any RPs that take place in the general Twokinds Universe? I'd be interested in joining one.

Worbak
Templar GrandMaster

#109 Post by Worbak »

Would anyone care for a Lovecraftian (Cthulhu Mythos) style of Roleplay? I'm not sure if I'd actually use the Cthulhu mythos or just make something up though and i'm wondering what time I should use but i'm thinking around the 1950s. I'd also have to limit the character party to make each player have their own story while at the same time working as a small team to stop *Insert villian here* from taking over the world..

AlfaWskyDlta
Templar GrandMaster

#110 Post by AlfaWskyDlta »

I'm too busy with school, work, and various other activities to gm, but this idea seemed really cool to me so I thought that I should throw it out there. Plus if this goes through I'll take part it's just that I don't have the time or energy to organize it. (also, bear with me if something along these lines has been done before :oops: )

So yea... Avatar (the last air bender one, not the horribly overrated blue people one) based RP anyone? I was thinking something along the lines of just having characters in Republic City like a year before Korra shows up there. That way none of the new series' events have to be accounted for, and it can be set right about the time Amon's group is gaining influence. Characters can be benders, nonbenders, triad members, one of Amon's henchmen, random people, whatever really...

Just an idea... :wink:
Fuzzle wrote:Alfaw...Alfydiys...A...Hard to remember name guy

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#111 Post by TheNewGirl »

OKay, it's been a while since I've been active. School and all that jazz making my life busy and very hard to schedule anything...creative. As such, my active roleplays have kinda died. This is partially because one of my games I took over after repeated threats of the GM closing the game, so I took over a game that I had no direction for.

The other was my Bloodbath tournament, which I knew was going to be difficult because I had designed a new game format. The new format worked fantastic, except for that it required the game to go very slow. That combined with the business of everyone's lives and the fact that I started the game months ahead of schedule (leaving myself with virtually no solid plans for plot) pretty much killed the game.

Now I would like to see if anyone is interested in a new game, with, again, an experimental format. I want to run a roleplay in which your character does not know himself/herself-- and as such, you do not know him/her either. The game will begin with you waking up in an unknown place under unknown circumstances, with absolutely no memory of yourself. It shall be an investigation and combat game, in which you discover your particular skills, talents, and backstory as you go through your encounters.

How will this work? Each interested player will fill out a modified character sheet- give me specific personality quirks, distinctive clothing (if the character has any), skills, talents, bio- and then I will take the character and give it to someone else. You will create a character for another person to play, and they will create one for you. Of course, this necessitates the PMing of all character sheets. I feel that sometimes roleplaying would be very cool if it were a more immersive experience, and I would like to test if this method will take the players on a journey even deeper inside of their character's head.

This will also give roleplayers an opportunity to play a character that they typically wouldn't play. I enjoy playing the badass tough-[censored]-kicking-but-still-super-hot female character, and I know everyone on this forum has their favored character archetype. Some people even recycle the same character over and over. Time for something different, don'tcha think?

This will create some difficulty in how you react in certain encounters, as well, and to avoid this I will be PMing players relevant information to help them react in line with their character's personality. For example, say PlayerB was given a character sheet for a female who, unbeknownst to him, was abused as a child and as such cannot stand to see any child in pain. In the course of his game, he encounters a young child with distinct bruises, sobbing in an alleyway. PlayerB does not know how his character should respond, so I PM him (or include within my post) something along the lines of "PlayerB's character suddenly feels an overwhelming urge to comfort the child/find the parents and hurt them/etc." Now, PlayerB can act upon this urge, or he can comment upon it within his post, while ultimately electing to overcome it, as long as the urge is aknowledged. This encounter could lead him to the authorities to report child abuse-- and perhaps the authorities recognize his character as a former abuse victim. PlayerB (and his character) have both just made a self-discovery that may come into play later in the game.

This is an experimental format, so all may not go smoothly. I'm looking for comments/suggestions/interest to help me get this game off the ground if it is satisfactory. I do not currently have a plot for the game in mind, but I will keep you updated (if anyone is interested in updates, that is).

Thank you
-TNG
"Challenge me, dare me, even defy me. But never underestimate me, for on the back of my horse anything is possible."

SekerutaHeruta
Merchant

#112 Post by SekerutaHeruta »

Would anyone care for a Persona 4 RP?
ImageImage

bigro
Grand Templar

#113 Post by bigro »

TheNewGirl wrote:-snip of mighty proportions-
I'm game. Sounds fun with the whole self discovery element. I personally see some not so nice outcomes and disadvantages to this but hey, never know till you try right?

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#114 Post by TheNewGirl »

bigro wrote:I personally see some not so nice outcomes and disadvantages to this but hey, never know till you try right?
Share! Part of why I posted was to pre-troubleshoot :)
"Challenge me, dare me, even defy me. But never underestimate me, for on the back of my horse anything is possible."

bigro
Grand Templar

#115 Post by bigro »

TheNewGirl wrote:
bigro wrote:I personally see some not so nice outcomes and disadvantages to this but hey, never know till you try right?
Share! Part of why I posted was to pre-troubleshoot :)
Well, one ad only issue I see is people not liking the character. If they knew what the character was and all about it beforehand (meaning you tell them it all to begin with) this wouldn't be so much of a concern as they can just say "nope, this sucks" and storm off in a huff and it's all good. Albeit at the same time completely changing the point of this.

BUT, as it stands it has the chance of people deciding that they don't like their character midway through. And this would lead to people leaving half way through. Not ideal as it leaves gaping holes in plot and can often invoke a general slowdown leading to worse things.
That's worst case scenario. Doubt it would happen as long as people remained open minded and mature about it.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#116 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

You do run the risk of having people making absolutely silly characters, such as the usual 'stoic badass' or 'ultimate hacker' or 'seductive beauty', without giving them anything else interesting.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#117 Post by y7h65 »

I may be interested, TNG.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#118 Post by TheNewGirl »

Thank you for the input, guys :) I think I will state that this would be only for people who are serious about using it as a way to improve as a writer. If this is a success, I'm hoping someone else will run a second round of it so that I can participate, because I have an awful time writing characters I don't like. But as a writer, I will not like all of my characters. I want to remove my personal feelings about the character from my ability to write them, because I believe good authors should be able to do so.

Do you think making it clear that this is for serious people only will improve the rp?

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#119 Post by Twippit »

TheNewGirl wrote:Do you think making it clear that this is for serious people only will improve the rp?
I'm interested too, as always. :) You always have great ideas, TNG.

As for serious RPers... The VIP Board has a grand total of one (1) currently active RP. So maybe you should consider starting it up there?
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

SekerutaHeruta
Merchant

#120 Post by SekerutaHeruta »

That would be kind of unfair to those of us still waiting for VIP clearance.
ImageImage