The roleplay idea and common sense topic

All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

Samdragon07
Master

Re: The roleplay idea and common sense topic

#61 Post by Samdragon07 »

They're humans, Man-beast, Beast-men, I have a balanced class system that doesn't overpower other characters. The only problem I can see is the beginning of my story.

bigro
Grand Templar

#62 Post by bigro »

Ive just come up with a SUPER DUPER ULTRA MEGA OMNIPOTENTLY AMAZING (not really) idea for an RP :grin:

in short: it's a couple of million years in the future, earth back in the day (around 4500) built a planet parallel to earth (other side of the sun with the same orbit) and then promptly after colonising it, declaring wat and eliminating humans from earth. But not the parallel (Its called eternity) the few people on eternity (about 6000 planetwide) that are left have formed tribes and after a couple million years, evolved into anthro looking things of many species'es.

Now for the plot: a giant space ark that 'disappeared' (managed to time warp on accident) during the eternity colonisation has appeared and crashed into the northern ice cap. The inhabitants saw this as a giant rock falling from the sky and are forming an expedition group to go and explore it. (no-one survived the crash) (another thing, the tech level has been reduced to around 1300's european level, and is not advancing very fast)

there we go, and thats in short :P
i think it's a good idea, could i get some feedback on it pleeeeease

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#63 Post by tony1695 »

The change of the human race to furries better have a decent in-universe explanation, like a biological weapon or radiation.
And being stuck with 1300s tech wouldn't make sense after a few million years. If they were essentially blasted into the Stone Age, then fine, but it would make more sense if it was only about 1500 years.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

bigro
Grand Templar

#64 Post by bigro »

they were blasted into the stone age by a war that left the planet almost un-survivable, then there was an ice age, then there was famine, then everything improved enough for the people to advance past throwing rocks at eachother...and the turning into furries is just evolution AND in the starting phases radiation.

all explained? (logic is hard)

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#65 Post by y7h65 »

Wouldn't a famine only be limited to a certain area? Otherwise, it'd kill off most of the planet. Think harder, you have to convince the RPer's that you put heart and effort into your RP and it's not something that was slapped together in a few seconds.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

bigro
Grand Templar

#66 Post by bigro »

hey :x i got the whole thing written up on a note pad and it took me AGES (at least an hour and a half)
but your right, i do need to make it look more 'professional' if you could call it that.

so i'm gonna start up a thread with ALL the gritty little details on it instead of clogging up this thread.

sound good?

(oh and the famine thing does sound a little shaky, i'll try and come up with something awesomer)

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#67 Post by y7h65 »

Now, I'm not trying to be insulting here, I'm trying to give you constructive criticism. It usually takes me a few days to a week for me to get my RP's into a presentable state, which then gets spellchecked, edited, and proofread by a friend. Of course, then again, my simple RP's are usually heavy on the story, quite extensively planned, and generally involve a whole lot of choices which changes the outcome of the RP. Which is why most of them don't appear on this forum. Also why I don't generally GM RP's.......
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

bigro
Grand Templar

#68 Post by bigro »

wow...didn't mean for it to come off that defensive, oops.

anyway...

i'm not plotting whats going to happen, if i wanted that i would just write a book. What i want is to just get this flipping prolougue sorted. (P.S. if i asked any of my 'friends' to proofread it they would laugh at me and i wouldn't be able to get free stuff of them anymore)

(iv'e had this idea bouncing around my head for a good year now, just put it to paper two days ago.)

i reckon with some good old nit-picking it could be a semi-decent RP

oh, and here's a link to my detailed version of what i stated previously if anyone wants it
http://twokinds.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15004

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#69 Post by TheNewGirl »

OKay so I've been thinking of doing this for a long time now, but I'm still not sure how to work out the mechanics of it....

So the basic idea is a tournament. A posting contest about a fighting tournament, with a setup similar to the DA comic/flash animation tourneys. Search (either DA or YouTube, you'll get results on both) The Law of Talos (LoT) or Endzone to get a basic idea.

Setup:

The OOC will have an explanation of plot, the gist of which will be that your character has been invited to a fighting tournament which carries a hefty prize (To Be Determined) for the character, and maybe a prize for the creator of that character (Also to be determined... I'm thinking an illustration or something, maybe some free charrie art though I'm not sure how good the quality will be ^.^; ) It would be set up with the posting of a character sheet and the sending of a PM audition post- a narrative that gives a bit of backstory and tells the story of how the character received the invite, why they accepted, and a description of their entrance into the location city.

From there, I will set up a series of combat rounds of charrie v charrie, which works like this:
Each user writes their own descriptive narrative of the fight- their moves, their opponent's moves, etc. The whole shebang, and PMs me before the specified Round Closing Date. When I receive both entries, I will judge which one works best- this will be based on things like frequency of grammar/mechanics errors (so proofreading is a great idea) as well as character development, combat description, believability, and generally how much I like it. If two posts are equally well-written and believable, I reserve the right to declare the match a draw and figure out what to do from there. Draws will likely result in a three-way PM hodgepodge in which the two users basically rp the fight via PM and I mediate. The finished product will be added to the IC.

Between combat rounds, players may make spectator rounds to further plot, character development, etc. They may form alliances, make enemies, perhaps even sabotage other players if they can do it believably.

Basically this thing is run by constant communications among those involved. Posts that get ridiculous (such as sneaking up to another player and stealing their Very Important Item while they stare vacantly into space) will be counted as godmodding and will be reprimanded. If players consistently argue or post poorly, I will reserve the right to utilize my GM powers to alter their characters Fate as I deem fit. The point isn't to railroad the players into following exactly my plotline, but I want it to be a high-quality, readable narrative when I finish.

So things I need imput on:
1) are people even actually interested? To maintain the required level of communication, people have to be invested in finishing the story. This will not simply fade away due to gradual loss of interest. No. I refuse. If I have to, I will explode the city to save my tourney from that fate.
2) how many people should join? Too many people and things get bogged down with me trying to weed out the weaklings. Too few and it's too short. This can be moderated by my acceptance of entrants- if people agree that the more the merrier, I can afford to accept everyone who sends an audition post. Of course, this will mean a lot of editing on my part for the people who refuse to type properly, and then they will simply lose the first round they're put in. But it does provide interesting combat for those who are going to last a while due to their superior literary skills. However, it can also lead to hurt feelings for those who are accepted, see their intro post altered, and then get eliminated their first round. Thoughts?
3)Prizes. Help please?
4)Should I closely monitor the spectator rounds? I could have people rp back and forth via PM, then in the IC they can post the completed scene without the multiple back-and-forth posting that can get irritating (or interrupted, for that matter, which is also annoying). Or would that be too time-consuming/difficult? Should I opt instead to allow them to post back-and-forth, but in the OOC to keep the IC thread uncluttered?
5)Where would this even go? It's a roleplay, yes, but I wanted the finished product to read like a story, rather than a back-and-forth so-and-so posted x and whats-his-face posted y. I could have all RPing take place in an RP thread, then collect the finished copy and put it in the Story Board as a single cohesive narrative. Thoughts?
6) questions? comments? Input, please!

This won't be happening any time soon, btw. I need to get details hashed out and figure out what's going on in my life, first. Job + arthritic/injured competition horse + my first year of college (and summer classes, woo) = not much time for GMing a high-communication tournament. I just wanted to get brainstorming now.
"Challenge me, dare me, even defy me. But never underestimate me, for on the back of my horse anything is possible."

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#70 Post by y7h65 »

Ah, PvP RP's. Reminds me of B.L.A.D.E. It was a good run while it was up. Sadly, I don't think it's feasible on this forum, seeing as how a fair amount of people that RP now aren't exactly the 'Long, Descriptive, character developing' type. It is a good idea and I find it interesting and would love to take part, but this forum is just a place where it will stagnate and die. No offense meant to anyone.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#71 Post by TheNewGirl »

I figured as much; most of the rp'ers seem newish... Or not overly concerned with character development (or spell check, for some lol). There's nothing wrong with a good, static slash n bash game but it's not my style. If I get enough people interested though... We'll see. This wasnt gonna take place until likely sometime in 2012 to be honest, so it will depend if there are more literary rp-ers on this forum by then.
"Challenge me, dare me, even defy me. But never underestimate me, for on the back of my horse anything is possible."

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#72 Post by y7h65 »

Well, the problem is that there was a lot of good RPer's. Hell, if you search around quick right now, you'll find a bunch of them. However, as time progressed, they kinda just started dropping left and right. And now there's a handful left. Well, in anycase, I wish you the best of luck on you RP idea. Let's hope it gets up off the ground instead of being forever grounded like my various RP ideas.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#73 Post by TheNewGirl »

Well I can understa d why they started dropping. I mean, you get daily life that happens, so some drop. Then a flood of new, less experienced rp'ers join and boom with rapid postings and the better rp'ers just don't keep up with it or get fed up so they leave, and soon rp threads turn into quick flaring threads of 34 pages of non-plot-furthering material that people get bored of. The trick is balance.

If you have some good ideas and have some good rp'ers you want to play with, one option is always the E.R.P. everyone makes an email address with no personal info, and simply email rather than post on forum. If you've got interesting ideas I'd be up for that.

unsteddyPhoenix
Grand Templar

#74 Post by unsteddyPhoenix »

I would join. Normally I just put a tiny description and let the character develop on it's own, but if it stops it from dying I would spend a lot of time on my character description and my posts, I hate it when decent RP's just die for no reason....

And i'm sure at least SOME others would do the same thing....
Tom wrote:The entire Basitin race is actually just a group of extremist LARPers.
ImageImage

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#75 Post by TheNewGirl »

I know that there are some people who would actually invest time in the rp, but the question is how many do I need to make it a successful tourney.