The roleplay idea and common sense topic

All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

Re: The roleplay idea and common sense topic

#76 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

I would say that about 12-24 people would be best. Now, 24 is unrealistic, since I doubt we even have that many people who are willing to devote more than a brain cell to each of their posts, much less speelchek or let one hair on their character get puffed out of place in a battle. I do like the idea of a LoT RP, but you'd have to be very specific about what kind of characters you're allowing, because I get the feeling that you'd see about 3 Karls, 5 Chimbleys, and 9 Mizunos, with spontaneous Relliks.

It wouldn't be too difficult to stem useless posting, since you could just set out in the OOC that irrelevant posting will get you kicked. I'd imagine that PMs would be more prevalent than actual posts. Personally, I would have the entire fight take place in PMs, and then the resulting battle being posted in the RP thread. It would cut down on misunderstandings and such. Same with spectator discussions. By this method, however, you're going to have long pauses while battles are taking place, so make sure that everyone involved knows about the delays and is willing to wait for them.

I'm highly interested in this, but I would have to think up a really unique character first that I would enjoy RPing with. Just be very through about proper grammar and spelling, and also make sure to have everyone who plays actually READ the last few posts thoroughly, so we don't get a ping-pong that should have never existed in the first place.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#77 Post by TheNewGirl »

Yeah, and the point of an audition post is to ensure that I can point out any potential flaws in their style. If someone auditions with a miserable narrative, I probably won't accept them. Or I'll be quite honest that they will likely lose their first round. If it's not too bad a post I can offer criticism and advice. It can also help me pair combatants of roughly similar literary strengths against each other.

I actually think a huge selling point for this rp is that it isn't a constant barrage of posting. For the more experienced rp-ers, who are generally older, it allows for them to write one good narrative battle, submit it, and not have to worry about being left behind. T also ensures that all posts made are relevant to the plot, so once more there's no getting lost in conversations made up of multiple pages of one-line ping-pong posts.

I think I'm going to start working on some maps for this, and solidify my idea for plot-moving events. I'll keep everyone posted on when this will be up and ready, and when I post the OOC sign ups I'll probably leave auditions open for 6 weeks or so. That'll give us time to think on characterization, strategy, how to successfully write another's character in battle, etc. Then I'll postthe closin dates for the first rounds. The way the timing will be set up is that you will always have at least two weeks to get your spectator entries hammered out or to perfect your battle round.

Keep the input/interest/questions coming :)
"Challenge me, dare me, even defy me. But never underestimate me, for on the back of my horse anything is possible."

Samdragon07
Master

#78 Post by Samdragon07 »

I Might need help with a Persona RPG this is also an interest check to see if people would like to join.

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#79 Post by Twippit »

unsteddyPhoenix wrote:Normally I just put a tiny description and let the character develop on it's own, but if it stops it from dying I would spend a lot of time on my character description and my posts, I hate it when decent RP's just die for no reason....
I'm with you. I had a one-on-one RP going for years, and then it just... faded. More than once, actually. A painful experience, indeed. Every time I made a new character, it would zip forward and add ten or so pages... and then it would slowly slug to a halt. X( I ended up with about forty or so characters, most of whom decided to leave the party to "hold down fort over here". Meanwhile the other RPer had like three... ugh. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but kind of annoying.
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#80 Post by TheNewGirl »

:/ I face a conundrum. I have a really cool idea that I want to run... But I don't want to give it away. I can't run this anytime soon, but...who would be interested in an rp where your own character is a complete mystery to you?
"Challenge me, dare me, even defy me. But never underestimate me, for on the back of my horse anything is possible."

Lordlyhour
Grand Templar
Location: Drinking your milkshake *SCLUUUUUUURP* DRINKING IT UP!

#81 Post by Lordlyhour »

Itsounds intruiging to say the least. Trying to puzzle out how you'd do that though. :\ I'd like to give it aq shot
Welcome to the Future. Nothing's changed
Pony Podcast I'm a part of: http://www.everfreeradio.com
I am One in a Million, and There Are Seven Thousand People in the World Exactly Like Me

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#82 Post by tony1695 »

The only way I can see it working was if everyone was an amnesiac. With the GM deciding every character and assigning everyone a number for the character they will be.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#83 Post by TheNewGirl »

tony1695 wrote:The only way I can see it working was if everyone was an amnesiac. With the GM deciding every character and assigning everyone a number for the character they will be.
Oh I have a plan >:3 but I'm not telling anything until I'm ready to move on the rp. Intrigued?

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#84 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

Huh. I'd rather not, because I wouldn't feel the same attachment to a random character instead of a character that I slaved over for days.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#85 Post by TheNewGirl »

MrFlyingAmoeba wrote:Huh. I'd rather not, because I wouldn't feel the same attachment to a random character instead of a character that I slaved over for days.
I think it would be interesting to find out your character's past bit by bit. I actually kinda wish someone else would run it so I can play, but I've already got the idea all worked out in my head.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#86 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

TheNewGirl wrote:
MrFlyingAmoeba wrote:Huh. I'd rather not, because I wouldn't feel the same attachment to a random character instead of a character that I slaved over for days.
I think it would be interesting to find out your character's past bit by bit. I actually kinda wish someone else would run it so I can play, but I've already got the idea all worked out in my head.
I would be fine with the city causing some kind of amnesia on everyone who entered, like a brain EMP. Receiving a character like some kind of odd bingo game would be a little less entertaining.

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#87 Post by TheNewGirl »

MrFlyingAmoeba wrote:
TheNewGirl wrote:
I would be fine with the city causing some kind of amnesia on everyone who entered, like a brain EMP. Receiving a character like some kind of odd bingo game would be a little less entertaining.
But then you have the typical situation of the player knowing more about the character than the character knows. I think it's interesting to put tue player in the characters shoes and neither know their past.

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#88 Post by Twippit »

I'm in. I've been dying for an RP anyway. Do you have signups yet?
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

Lordlyhour
Grand Templar
Location: Drinking your milkshake *SCLUUUUUUURP* DRINKING IT UP!

#89 Post by Lordlyhour »

A game where you were just as im the dark as you charactyer. I like. t'd prevent cop-out exuses from the players, such as "Oh, i once visited france so i know everyone, can lead us all around and will get everything i want for free, because they made me the president of awesome!"
Welcome to the Future. Nothing's changed
Pony Podcast I'm a part of: http://www.everfreeradio.com
I am One in a Million, and There Are Seven Thousand People in the World Exactly Like Me

unsteddyPhoenix
Grand Templar

#90 Post by unsteddyPhoenix »

I would also be interested in this, I like the way you think Thenewgirl, it'd be kinda like reading a book but the character acts the way you want.
Tom wrote:The entire Basitin race is actually just a group of extremist LARPers.
ImageImage