Twokinds Industrial Interest Check/Sign-up

All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

SirJahar
Grand Templar

Re: Twokinds Industrial Interest Check/Sign-up

#16 Post by SirJahar »

So from pre to post industrial China, probably complete with xeno-distrust.

RowanEx
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#17 Post by RowanEx »

With technology, and Templars possibly using magitech, pretty sure that I'm getting something along with Final Fanrasy VI in terms of have a few isolated humans with no magic. I mean, the Templar's basically a military mage guild, and they could have created something like magic-based effects.

And also dart guns.

And with Basitin groups being old and new school, I'm pretty sure it would by the Eastern ones (those who still are bind to the law religiously, that is) would be the old schooled no tech warriors.

I'm seeing all of these ideas as something in the 19th-20th Century technology, just enough for some locomotives and other fancy equipment, but magic is still predominantly a way of life to the others. (Like MLP:FiM's Equestria, now that I see it. I mean, they have trains that use coal, yet they have magic...)
~~~()~~~
Rowan Ex

furcode: FFfm2adfrw A C- D H++ M- P R+ T+++ W Z- Sm RLU a- clmn++ d- e- f+ h+ iwf++ j++ p- sm-

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

#18 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

I'll just let you know I'm kind of interested for now. I just need sleep before I read everything you have planned.

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#19 Post by SirJahar »

RowanEx wrote:With technology, and Templars possibly using magitech, pretty sure that I'm getting something along with Final Fanrasy VI in terms of have a few isolated humans with no magic. I mean, the Templar's basically a military mage guild, and they could have created something like magic-based effects.

And also dart guns.

And with Basitin groups being old and new school, I'm pretty sure it would by the Eastern ones (those who still are bind to the law religiously, that is) would be the old schooled no tech warriors.

I'm seeing all of these ideas as something in the 19th-20th Century technology, just enough for some locomotives and other fancy equipment, but magic is still predominantly a way of life to the others. (Like MLP:FiM's Equestria, now that I see it. I mean, they have trains that use coal, yet they have magic...)
Thing is that the further into the 19'th we get, and even especially into the 20th, we get into electricity.
Who will pick which for what applications will deepen the divides between nations.
The steam engine already has a ton of options that open up in a magical world, and if we get into electric motors, well, why bother with electricity when you can just mage kinetic energy?
Or would high-voltage electrical lines interfere with magic?

RowanEx
Citizen

#20 Post by RowanEx »

SirJahar wrote:
RowanEx wrote:With technology, and Templars possibly using magitech, pretty sure that I'm getting something along with Final Fanrasy VI in terms of have a few isolated humans with no magic. I mean, the Templar's basically a military mage guild, and they could have created something like magic-based effects.

And also dart guns.

Thing is that the further into the 19'th we get, and even especially into the 20th, we get into electricity.
Who will pick which for what applications will deepen the divides between nations.
The steam engine already has a ton of options that open up in a magical world, and if we get into electric motors, well, why bother with electricity when you can just mage kinetic energy?
Or would high-voltage electrical lines interfere with magic?
Huh. Never saw that part. I guess whatever's easy to use then. It would be funny if all electricity came from a magic source that feeds from a natural leyline/a mana tower.

And then some.
~~~()~~~
Rowan Ex

furcode: FFfm2adfrw A C- D H++ M- P R+ T+++ W Z- Sm RLU a- clmn++ d- e- f+ h+ iwf++ j++ p- sm-

Phaing
Master

#21 Post by Phaing »

SirJahar wrote: Thing is that the further into the 19'th we get, and even especially into the 20th, we get into electricity.
Who will pick which for what applications will deepen the divides between nations...
Well, as the guy that started this an presumably will be GM-ing the game, I thought that would be up to you.

I can follow through with what I said, but that would be easy for me to finish my end. I was thinking of a place so far away that it won't have much direct impact.... unless a ship arrives with all sorts of artifacts/odd people on board is going to find it's way into the storyline.

Perhaps even, an iron-hulled monstrosity like this-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Neptune_(1874)

BTW- I would think that the Western Bastians would be leading the way with straight Tech, they are just as bad with magic as the Eastern ones but a more open society is going to make the free exchange of ideas much easier.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#22 Post by SirJahar »

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to let ypu know that this isn't entierly dead yet.
I have gotten to where I need to figure out details of the trade between the kingdoms, nucences of law and government, and important NPCs.

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#23 Post by Jonesy »

SirJahar wrote:Hey everyone!
Just wanted to let ypu know that this isn't entierly dead yet.
I have gotten to where I need to figure out details of the trade between the kingdoms, nucences of law and government, and important NPCs.
So, what are the kingdoms present? Because I imagine that the humans and Keidran still aren't getting along, which might impact things.

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#24 Post by SirJahar »

We have the Human Monarchy (All names are pending), The Wolf Monarchy, the Feline Clans, the East and West Basitins, the Templar Federation, the Human republic, the snow wolf separatists, and what is left of the free foxes.
I can be persuaded to alter this list, otherwise, I'll draw up a map tonight.

Cyon
Templar GrandMaster

#25 Post by Cyon »

Last time I checked, we were still finalizing a few details of the world, so not sure about that.
Who even looks at signatures anyways?

Multitasking is just a way to be less efficient at two different things simultaneously

Furcode: FCWp5ad A- C->+ D H+ M- P? R++ T++ W? Z- Sm# RL- a- cl++ d+ e- f h* i++ j? p- sm-

coolbreeze88

#26 Post by coolbreeze88 »

SirJahar wrote:So, testing the waters for interest in a setting, an Industrializing Mehkan.

The idea is that the industrial revolution has come to this magical world, and new ideas and tools with it.
the Human empire has be stride in three, the tribes have become vastles and puppets of their more advanced neighbors. Even the Basitins are not immune, as one side clings to the old ways, the other runs head-long into this new age.

Obviously world building alone for such a game would be a chore, but I think it's worth it if anyone wants to join in.
If anyone is interested, I can bring over a good chunk of ideas hashed out with a friend.
Say no more, your idea is absolute genius. it is something just has to happen in Mehkans future.

but for it to work it has to take place 1400 years into the future sense the time were two kinds takes place is still in classical antiquity (400's CE) but the industrial revolution could come earlier.

possible changes that could come about from such an event would probably include the decline of the dragons as worshipped symbols of power as they are rendered redundant by mass produced muzzle loading firearms and cannons.

thus, it would come as no surprise that a civil war would erupt in the human empire between the magic using Templars and the imperial army that make use of said advances in weaponry to level the playing field and possibly the rise of a new republican movement that's caught in the crossfire.

powerful trains would criss cross the mainland and paddle steamers would have the seas. making trips that took days for the original gang only a few hours in this scenario.

keidrans would also take advantage of these changes, some even go so far as to literally sell their own into slavery to get their hands on guns and machinery.

bastions would actually be the epicenter of this industrial revolution as they have the biggest incentive to find an alternative to magic and its corruptive force.

that's basically the foundation I came up with, just happy to add my 2 cents.

RowanEx
Citizen

#27 Post by RowanEx »

coolbreeze88 wrote:
SirJahar wrote:So, testing the waters for interest in a setting, an Industrializing Mehkan.

The idea is that the industrial revolution has come to this magical world, and new ideas and tools with it.
the Human empire has be stride in three, the tribes have become vastles and puppets of their more advanced neighbors. Even the Basitins are not immune, as one side clings to the old ways, the other runs head-long into this new age.

Obviously world building alone for such a game would be a chore, but I think it's worth it if anyone wants to join in.
If anyone is interested, I can bring over a good chunk of ideas hashed out with a friend.
Say no more, your idea is absolute genius. it is something just has to happen in Mehkans future.

but for it to work it has to take place 1400 years into the future sense the time were two kinds takes place is still in classical antiquity (400's CE) but the industrial revolution could come earlier.

possible changes that could come about from such an event would probably include the decline of the dragons as worshipped symbols of power as they are rendered redundant by mass produced muzzle loading firearms and cannons.

thus, it would come as no surprise that a civil war would erupt in the human empire between the magic using Templars and the imperial army that make use of said advances in weaponry to level the playing field and possibly the rise of a new republican movement that's caught in the crossfire.

powerful trains would criss cross the mainland and paddle steamers would have the seas. making trips that took days for the original gang only a few hours in this scenario.

keidrans would also take advantage of these changes, some even go so far as to literally sell their own into slavery to get their hands on guns and machinery.

bastions would actually be the epicenter of this industrial revolution as they have the biggest incentive to find an alternative to magic and its corruptive force.

that's basically the foundation I came up with, just happy to add my 2 cents.

Okay, that basically... solves some plot holes.
~~~()~~~
Rowan Ex

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#28 Post by The Rookie »

coolbreeze88 wrote:bastions would actually be the epicenter of this industrial revolution as they have the biggest incentive to find an alternative to magic and its corruptive force.
I both agree and disagree with this concept.

While the Bastions would heavily benefit from this sort of tech boom, I'm not sure it'd be collectively recognised as the right way about things.

In the comic we saw how desperate they were to harness magic for themselves, but to replace it with something like firearms and heavy accordance seems very against what the Bastion code of honour would promote.

My logic is that that early firearms were peasant weapons, fired in mass to destroy better equipped and better trained foes. So Bastions would see them as cowards/unskilled weapons of the weaker races.

I liked what Sarn had in mind with spilting the tech between the East and West, but I feel it'd be much bloodier and more complicated than that. I feel it's evolve into a three way war between the advanced North Eastern and North Western (North being closer to humans, therefore more influenced) Bastion empires, and a unified Southern joint kingdom of the old ways.

The two tech savy groups would be putting their best men and equipment on the borders to each other, but at the same time being force to divert man power to the south lands to defend against a much larger and more disciplined force who are also 'weaker'.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Butterscotch
Master

#29 Post by Butterscotch »

The problem here is that the Basitins clinging to the old ways are fighting a losing battle.

It's very much like the anglo-zulu wars. Spears and shields can only do so much against rifles
The Scottish Dograccoon!

Gimme trash.

coolbreeze88

#30 Post by coolbreeze88 »

Butterscotch wrote:The problem here is that the Basitins clinging to the old ways are fighting a losing battle.

It's very much like the anglo-zulu wars. Spears and shields can only do so much against rifles
just a heads up. make sure to quote the person you're replying too so they get notified.

other than that it would be less like the anglo-zulu war and more in line with the boshin war of 19th century japan with old traditional ways of combat being curb stomped by the rapid advances in firearms and the rise of professional standing armies.