4 us Daily Beasts

All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

Phaing
Master

4 us Daily Beasts

#1 Post by Phaing »

This is a Spitballing thread, but one with a purpose.

What I have in mind is a RP thread for those of us that are a bit Hyper, and want something they can hit several times a day, any ol' day.

As GM, I would allow a much more free approach to the whole turn structure; you would not have to wait for anyone else to post except for those that you were directly involved with. That includes myself and the NPCs under direct control. I would also like to try an idea of mine; issuing 3 "god-points" each to allow you to allow you to claim a favorable reaction from an NPC that would otherwise be left to chance. (and you might want to save those, that's three per campaign, for as long as it lasts, period).

The whole idea is for us really dedicated attention-mongers to gather up in a thread where we can pester each other, instead of the GMs that are not inclined to be here every ding-dong day. I will, and I WILL finish what I have started, because you guys are going to let me have some fun too, aren't you? :mrgreen:

To make this work we have to be forgiving of each other, we have to let each other know when we will be absent.... and if we can't we have to be cool about the rest of the gang getting a little ahead of us. A little, not a lot, unless we agree ahead of time that splitting into and A-team and a B-team is a good idea.
In fact, it might even be necessary, if we choose certain actions. Most groups seem to be pairs of people, but lets NOT ever leave the odd man out of it.

IF this seems like a good idea to anyone, let me know.
Now all I have to do is think of something to do, and have it ready by sometime in February.

Unfortunately , all that comes to mind is one of two extremes; a deep & psychological tale of Horror that will require serious thought instead of hack & slash... not sure how that will go over here. It is kinda moody and will make serious demands on the Chars, no matter how well thought-out they are. :nora:

Or, one played for laughs. Kind of a nebulous idea, about a cast of also-rans and/or rejects that are wandering about in the wake of some of the Heroic folks in the comic.... never actually meeting them but always getting caught in the fallout.
Comedy is difficult to do well, so .... this might be the greater challenge.

Or something else, lets brain-storm and figure something out.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Re: 4 us Daily Beasts

#2 Post by The Rookie »

Well you know I'm in. I'm always here. S:P
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phaing
Master

#3 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:Well you know I'm in. I'm always here. S:P
Okay... primary requirement is fulfilled. :grin:

What else you got?
Thoughts on what kind of Char you would like to run, or what kind of thread you would like me to run?
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#4 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:
The Rookie wrote:Well you know I'm in. I'm always here. S:P
What else you got?
Well that really depends on what everyone else would like to do.

I do have a character in mind if we were going to go down the TK story path, but I'll need to sit down and think a bit if we're heading more toward the scary horror story. I'm happy with either the happy or horror story, no real preference :roll:

Phaing
Master

#5 Post by Phaing »

TK?
Oh! They would both be taking place here, either of them. Maybe "horror" would be the wrong word, but its a type of thing that Keith's Basitin advisor would be perfect for, to a "T".
(is the Role-playing of major Chars from the comic allowed here?)

But yeah, lets see what everyone else has to say.

-George Bernard Shaw

Phaing
Master

#6 Post by Phaing »

Oh, in case you guys do want me for a GM when all is said and done, I should mention one thing;

I hate hate HATE getting PMs that are IC, or plotting along those lines. If you can't trust the other players to know the difference between IC and OOC knowledge I can't help you. If you want to work against other Chars in your own group, you are on your own.
I know its probably allowed by the rules, but please don't.

Now.... to eliminate a sig that is WAY too big. :shock:

-George Bernard Shaw

TheLoreiConstruct00

#7 Post by TheLoreiConstruct00 »

I usually find myself on the forums at least twice a day now, I wouldn't mind getting in on this.

Phaing
Master

#8 Post by Phaing »

TheLoreiConstruct00 wrote:I usually find myself on the forums at least twice a day now---.
You ain't the only one. :wink:

Okay, this is the beginning of a group, let me bounce ideas off you both;

Open group-
I would like to leave open the possibility of allowing people to join in farther down the road. Two of the three of us weren't even on this forum a few weeks ago, after all. I may even allow one person to run a pair of Chars, but lets leave that for future Ref.

Just for laughs-
In this case, it would be pretty easy on my end as GM. What we would do is follow in the shadow of the folks in the Comic and find ourselves getting tangled up in the chaos they seem to attract. Unlike Option 2, we could never ever not even once EVER come into contact with the Stars of the Show. One of the reasons is... well, we probably won't come to like them very much, especially if the Templars are on our tails because of them.
It will start in that very town on the day of the Festival, with all those Tigers coming to say hello. I will be running lots of NPCs for your Straight-men/women, and I am thinking of one recurring NPC; A Tiger Lady that is somewhat.... upper-class, as things go there. A Damsel in distress/distressing Damsel indeed. A human offers to buy her a drink; "Thanks, but I'd rather sit around watching Tarantulas chew on my eyelids."
Or, even worse; "I have nothing against Humans, I think every well-breed Felid should own one... why are you looking at me that way? Oh all right, two then. But three would be rather ostentatious, don't you think?"
I think I'll call her Zha-Zha.
And she might even have a certain resemblance to Flora, from a distance, to Human eyes.

Option 2-
This is still percolating, it already reminds me of the time people told me they were starting to have dreams in Character.
Okay, nightmares, but anyway....
Its not exactly like Lovecraft; no tentacled eldritch horrors, no death cults and no cute old automobiles running around. However, there will be a similar atmosphere. There are secrets to discover, and secrets that must be kept from all the nice, normal folk in this world. Somewhere out there is an abnormally powerful Dragon, and he is slowly losing his mind... and that's not the worst part.
Fighting him really isn't an option, unless you think your Basitan would look especially dashing in one of those Kamikaze head-scarfs (hmmm... maybe) so your options might be limited to trying to find a cure that an ancient genius couldn't find for himself (unlikely) or try to rig up the most elaborate con-game in history, or.... you pick. I'm just presenting problems here, it would be up to you to find a solution.

Chat at you later!
:raine:

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#9 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Okay, this is the beginning of a group, let me bounce ideas off you both
Bounce away :roll:
Phaing wrote:Open group-
I would like to leave open the possibility of allowing people to join in farther down the road. Two of the three of us weren't even on this forum a few weeks ago, after all. I may even allow one person to run a pair of Chars, but lets leave that for future Ref.
I agree with keeping things open for others to join down the line. It's always good to have a few volunteers on stand by should someone leave the game, or in a tragic turn of events a character is killed.

Phaing wrote:In this case, it would be pretty easy on my end as GM. What we would do is follow in the shadow of the folks in the Comic and find ourselves getting tangled up in the chaos they seem to attract. Unlike Option 2, we could never ever not even once EVER come into contact with the Stars of the Show. One of the reasons is... well, we probably won't come to like them very much, especially if the Templars are on our tails because of them.
To be fair, it'd probably be in everyone's best interest to avoid pulling the main characters into these kinds of games.
Phaing wrote:It will start in that very town on the day of the Festival, with all those Tigers coming to say hello.
If you were planning on having the crew shadowing behind the main cast, might I suggest an earlier point to start the story? As much as I like the concept of the tiger convoy mixing with the locals, I feel like we'd very quickly run out of story material to use, since it may take another year before Tom gets around to drawing enough pages to finish the Edimire story arch. Meaning we'd only really have the tussle between the Basitins and Sarah to witness before months of waiting.

Phaing wrote:I will be running lots of NPCs for your Straight-men/women, and I am thinking of one recurring NPC; A Tiger Lady that is somewhat.... upper-class, as things go there. A Damsel in distress/distressing Damsel indeed. A human offers to buy her a drink; "Thanks, but I'd rather sit around watching Tarantulas chew on my eyelids."
Or, even worse; "I have nothing against Humans, I think every well-breed Felid should own one... why are you looking at me that way? Oh all right, two then. But three would be rather ostentatious, don't you think?"
I think I'll call her Zha-Zha.
I already love the idea of this character. Especially since she has human slaves, which has largely been untouched in the story, though we know they'd certainly exist in keidran territories.

Phaing wrote:Option 2-
This is still percolating, it already reminds me of the time people told me they were starting to have dreams in Character.
Okay, nightmares, but anyway....
Its not exactly like Lovecraft; no tentacled eldritch horrors, no death cults and no cute old automobiles running around. However, there will be a similar atmosphere. There are secrets to discover, and secrets that must be kept from all the nice, normal folk in this world. Somewhere out there is an abnormally powerful Dragon, and he is slowly losing his mind... and that's not the worst part.
Fighting him really isn't an option, unless you think your Basitan would look especially dashing in one of those Kamikaze head-scarfs (hmmm... maybe) so your options might be limited to trying to find a cure that an ancient genius couldn't find for himself (unlikely) or try to rig up the most elaborate con-game in history, or.... you pick. I'm just presenting problems here, it would be up to you to find a solution.
This story could be an interesting change for the Rps around here. Though, I'd probably still try to hack and slash my way out of what ever problems arise out of habit. :roll:

TheLoreiConstruct00

#10 Post by TheLoreiConstruct00 »

I'd be down for a more goal-oriented and serious RP with darker content.

Phaing
Master

#11 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:To be fair, it'd probably be in everyone's best interest to avoid pulling the main characters into these kinds of games.
Agreed, even a cameo would be tough, and I'd better have a few hundred posts under my belt before I even think of letting such a thing happen. Even as a cameo of the lightest sort.
If you were planning on having the crew shadowing behind the main cast, might I suggest an earlier point to start the story? As much as I like the concept of the tiger convoy mixing with the locals, I feel like we'd very quickly run out of story material to use, since it may take another year before Tom gets around to drawing enough pages to finish the Edimire story arch. Meaning we'd only really have the tussle between the Basitins and Sarah to witness before months of waiting.
.... oh, right.
You know, I was thinking in terms of each day of our back & forth would cover a matter of minutes.... but you are right. Each week of Comic runs about the same, often as not.
But, sailing along from that island, not known for being a common travel destination, I dunno. It might work as an intro... Backstory!
How about we start with backstory? Instead of just bumping into each other, all in one place like always, play off the GM for a while, maybe?
Or maybe this idea isn't so great, the same issue would keep coming up.
I already love the idea of this character. Especially since she has human slaves, which has largely been untouched in the story, though we know they'd certainly exist in keidran territories.
[/quote]

Has slaves, as in already? heh, I wasn't thinking along those lines just yet... didn't think it through that far yet.
I don't think that going to a human town with one would be a great idea, but a loyal slave might come running after Zha-Zha later on... showing up at exactly the wrongest time.

-George Bernard Shaw

Phaing
Master

#12 Post by Phaing »

TheLoreiConstruct00 wrote:I'd be down for a more goal-oriented and serious RP with darker content.
Thanks for the input.
All of a sudden, I think so too... but I'm not sure if I should get a vote. I can start with just two of you, but I would like a 3rd. Nice to have a tie-breaker in the mix.

Yes, it would be goal-oriented and of a limited duration too.
Oh, speaking of that--
This story could be an interesting change for the Rps around here. Though, I'd probably still try to hack and slash my way out of what ever problems arise out of habit. :roll:
That could be accommodated.... I can add minions to the mix.

Needless to say, Option #2 wouldn't be for the also-rans of the world. They should be strong-willed, perhaps even leaders of powerful organizations... or simply influential in their own right. Or, I don't know, what would you like?

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#13 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:
That could be accommodated.... I can add minions to the mix.
Oh sorry, that was just meant to be a bit of a joke. I'm totally up for some brains over brawn.

I guess this means we're all in agreeance for the second option then.

Phaing
Master

#14 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:
Phaing wrote:...
I guess this means we're all in agreeance for the second option then.
Seems that way.
I know I said I wouldn't start until February, but my prep will be helped if I know what sort of Characters you guys want to start with. Concepts are all I need but you can get as detailed as you like. They can be just about anything you think will work here, and I will show a couple of the NPCs that might show up;

Zha-Zha ... I like her too, so why not? :roll:
And her personal slave; Katija Manx. Both Mistress and slave are the same age; 15, but the Tiger has obvious advantages.
Katija is hiding something from her Mistress; she is starting to "see" things that other people cannot, and have strange dreams. Zha-Zha assumes that it is the onset of puberty that has turned her loyal pet into a nervous wreck at times, and makes her stare out into the sky in a near catatonic way at others. While protective of her slave, it never occurs to Zha-zha that there might be anything special about her slave, but she does worry that Katija might run off and do something foolish with a male slave before the time comes when it would be proper to let her start breeding.

Tyrone Rennenkampf, the Mad Duke of the Marshes.
This is the closest we would ever get to the Royalty of this land, and its not very close at all. One of those 3rd cousin twice-removed bits of nonsense, 'Duke' is strictly honorary. Yet here we have a genuine aristocrat (in his own mind) who's domain is the Soden Island, and whose charge is to eradicate Piracy from the Eastern Sea. With just 3 warships and 2 scout ships to accomplish this, he does have a tendency to go mad with frustration. His realm is something of a backwater, especially now with war in the west and intrigue in the south and the Felid frontier ... he won't be getting any help in the foreseeable future.
And to top it all off, the local fortune-teller just leapt into the sea with 30 pounds of iron tied to his neck. People are becoming nervous...

Anything between those extremes is fine by me.

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#15 Post by The Rookie »

I'm trying a few first here, so hopefully it's ok.

Name: Sylvi
Species: Keidran
Race:Snow wolf

Appearance: (Image if applicable)
• Height: 6, 4’’

• Fur: Primarily white, has splotches of light brown throughout. Her ears are brown, and her right eye sits in the middle of a brown patch.

• Hair: Silver (Short)

• Eyes: Bright blue

Wardrobe
• A thick fur hooded coat that’s used to keep warm in the arctic waste. It’s made from a mixture of grey and white furs, with the collar, rim of the hood and the ends of the sleeves protruding with floothy white fur.
• In warmer climates she wears a purple top, with dark brown pocketed trousers.
• She wears a leather bandoleer across her chest, used to store mana crystals, potions and a back up knife which is placed at a bout shoulder height. This would be worn under her coat.
• A leather satchel, used to carry whatever she needs. Almost always has a book in there.

Weapon of choice.

A special enchanted frost spear. The shaft of the spear is roughly 5ft long (Made from a dark wood) with a 1 and half ft long steel spear head. At the base of the spear head sits a very rare mana stone which has the ability to draw in nearby mana quickly, allowing the user to cast magical spells more freely during combat without having to worry about running out of stones.

The spear is always cold to the touch, though never enough to do the wielder or victim any (additional) harm. It acts more of a signature of the weapon’s origin, having been forged in the mountains of the arctic waste.

Personality

• Inquisitive
• Respectable
• Disciplined
• Has a bad habit of using sarcasm, though rarely is it meant to offensive.

Strengths:

• Powerful mage, capable of using her abilities with devastating efficiency, though she prefers to only use them to defend herself or help others.
• Studious: Capable of learning new skills and improving old ones from reading books. Rarely is she without one.
• Keirdan senses: Her natural speed and heightened senses allow her to be able to detect and react quickly to danger.

Weaknesses:
• Fear of the dark and close spaces.
• Physically weaker than most males of the other races.
• Relies a lot on her magic in combat, causing her to act uncertainly if it’s been stripped away from her.
• Zero hand to hand skill. If she’s disarmed she loses both her primary source of power, and her best means of fighting.
• Requires stones for mama

Skills
• Healer: Knowledge of the arcane and nature allows her to heal wounds at an increased rate. Minor injuries instantly, while serious wounds can still take some time. In addition, she's quite skilled in traditional healing techniques, such as bandaging, splinting wounds, setting bones, ect.
• Outdoors woman: Capable of surviving off the land, building fires, ect.