4 us Daily Beasts

All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 4 us Daily Beasts

#76 Post by 2561642 »

Phaing wrote:Kitteridge
I'm just curious, why do you choose to spell it this way? Have I been reading the map incorrectly?

Phaing
Master

#77 Post by Phaing »

2561642 wrote:
Phaing wrote:Kitteridge
I'm just curious, why do you choose to spell it this way? Have I been reading the map incorrectly?
Typo.
Maybe we can say that the Duke has a faulty memory, or a speech impediment. :|
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#78 Post by The Rookie »

OK, so since Tycho and I both seem to have semi / fairly elaborate plans in order to stay longer in the next city without detection, I was sort of wondering if it's worth it.

With out giving too much away, did you have any plans that hinge on how long we stayed in the area?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phaing
Master

#79 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:OK, so since Tycho and I both seem to have semi / fairly elaborate plans in order to stay longer in the next city without detection, I was sort of wondering if it's worth it.

With out giving too much away, did you have any plans that hinge on how long we stayed in the area?
Nope , no plans. I just wonder how Tycho could magic-up a U-boat in two days.

Maybe I had better wait for an answer on that before I move on.

BTW- the posts are getting awfully long and multi-layered again. Is there a way I can cut those down without offending the players?
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#80 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Nope , no plans. I just wonder how Tycho could magic-up a U-boat in two days.
Yeah, I can see that being an interesting feat. Still, I'm curious to hear what he's working on over there : P
Phaing wrote:BTW- the posts are getting awfully long and multi-layered again. Is there a way I can cut those down without offending the players?
No prob, I'm happy to cut back in interjecting so often.

Phaing
Master

#81 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:No prob, I'm happy to cut back in interjecting so often.
Its not that, its the fact that somebody it going to have to take the step of making a much shorter post, and it looks as if it has to be me.

-George Bernard Shaw

#82 Post by 2561642 »

The Rookie wrote:OK, so since Tycho and I both seem to have semi / fairly elaborate plans in order to stay longer in the next city without detection, I was sort of wondering if it's worth it.

Phaing wrote:
Nope , no plans. I just wonder how Tycho could magic-up a U-boat in two days.

Maybe I had better wait for an answer on that before I move on.

BTW- the posts are getting awfully long and multi-layered again. Is there a way I can cut those down without offending the players?
Okay, here's what I had in mind. Feel free to just disregard the whole thing if you don't like it:

Tycho could draw up detailed plans in a couple of hours, measurements and all. He had planned to dismantle/repurpose lifeboats and use the Duke's repair supplies, hopefully with as much of the crew working on it as possible. 2 days gives him time for two enchantments, but he'll want to have stored mana in the event of an assault, so that means only one - unless the Duke happens to have a supply of mana stones handy.

The one enchantment on the ship would be a repurposed shielding enchantment that blocks water, allowing for portholes where onboard soldiers can fire harpoons or crossbows and use spears/blades to defend the ship in all directions (that means port holes in every direction, even on the top and bottom of the cabin), as well as holes for oars (and yes, you can move a submarine with oars). One hole in this enchantment would allow for water to be taken in as ballast to sink. To rise, the water would just be dumped out of the portholes.

What do you think? Too ridiculous?

As for long posts, I actually prefer it that way - it's better than falling into one-line replies, IMHO. I feel like I'm shorting you when my replies aren't at least two lines of dialogue. But I'll go with whatever you guys decide.

Also, I have been mulling over the idea that, because Sven is most likely sapient, the enchantment Tycho put on the spear might actually allow Sylvi to communicate intelligibly with Sven. In other words, Sven might have dialogue. But that, of course, is up to you, and I don't want to throw that suggestion into the IC thread without bringing it up OOC first.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#83 Post by The Rookie »

2561642 wrote:What do you think? Too ridiculous?
Well, maybe just a bit.

In all honesty, I feel like we'd be able to do ultimately the same thing by just taking a regular row boat and landing down the coast line.

Also related, but I'm not sure if it still matters, Sylvi is claustrophobic. When we started Phaing had us choose some random negative traits and claustrophobia and a general fear of the dark were two of the 5.

She's going to need a lot of alcohol....

The ideas I have are more focused on hiding in plain sight, and since the Duke, or a member of his crew, has seen and interacted with our characters they'd be able to rely our descriptions to the Templar (Willingly or by force).

Given a half brown half white free wolf she wolf mage stands out, Sylvi could go the opposite. If she can get her hands on some brown hair dye (Like what Rita has been using) she could cover up those white patches, and calling in her favour with the blacksmith and gathering a set of unenchanted shackles. Tycho could take her spear and her stones and what not.

As deeming as it'd be, she'd instantly blend in.

Thoughts?
2561642 wrote:As for long posts, I actually prefer it that way - it's better than falling into one-line replies, IMHO. I feel like I'm shorting you when my replies aren't at least two lines of dialogue. But I'll go with whatever you guys decide.
I sort of have the same feeling, like I feel like I'd disappoint you if I completely gloss over something either of you have written.

2561642 wrote:Also, I have been mulling over the idea that, because Sven is most likely sapient, the enchantment Tycho put on the spear might actually allow Sylvi to communicate intelligibly with Sven. In other words, Sven might have dialogue. But that, of course, is up to you, and I don't want to throw that suggestion into the IC thread without bringing it up OOC first.
I am actually looking forward to what we can do with that. I mean, given we're going to try hiding, we're probably not going to see much of Sven, I still want to do something with that.

Phaing
Master

#84 Post by Phaing »

Oars? Sounds inefficient to say the least. Give it a quarter-turn to bring it back again, right?

The rest sounds fine, and all you are doing is joining 2 boats and enchanting it like a bubble. Once you telll them, this crew will want this to work, very badly.

As for Sven; I am all for it, but I leave it up to Rookie what sort of personality he has, and how he expresses it.

-George Bernard Shaw

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

#85 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Hello. As some of you know, I have been interested in joining. Well I have read everything, and created a character. Here it is for you to look at and decide if anything needs to be added, removed, or changed.
Spoiler!
Name: Anaraia (an-are-eye-ah)
Species: Fox Keidran

Appearance:
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Fur: What you'd expect from a fox; mostly orange with white belly/jaw
  • Hair: Hip length, slightly darker orange
  • Eyes: Blue
Wardrobe: white shirt & brown pants with pockets that have been stitched up. She obviously hasn't had much chance to change clothes for a while, but it looks as if they have been washed.

Weapon: unique dagger (Family heirloom. One you probably will never find at a shop. curved, almost like a scimitar. Symbols on handle; if they do or mean anything, she doesn't know). Can be hidden in her pockets

Personality:
  • skittish
  • kind to those she trusts, but a little distant from those she doesn't
  • A little more distrusting of humans in general than Keidran, but tries to trust those who are obviously not templars
Strengths:
  • Has had much practice with the dagger she carries, both before and during
  • Her youth makes it easier to move faster, and more gracefully
  • Can find great places to hide without being noticed
  • can easily catch small prey
Weaknesses:
  • Fear of dark: Afraid something might be sneaking up on her, more specifically templars
  • Absolutely no ranged training, whether attacking with or defending from
  • Young: As she is not even an adult, she obviously isn't as ready for a lot as most, but what she can do will HAVE to do
  • Has never used magic, so if she can, she doesn't know.
  • Makes brash decisions when scared
I have a 3 paragraph background that explains a lot of the stuff here, if you want that too, or just want to read it.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#86 Post by The Rookie »

DarkTheImmortal wrote:I have a 3 paragraph background that explains a lot of the stuff here, if you want that too, or just want to read it.[/spoiler]
I'd be interested in reading it.

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#87 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

The Rookie wrote:
DarkTheImmortal wrote:I have a 3 paragraph background that explains a lot of the stuff here, if you want that too, or just want to read it.[/spoiler]
I'd be interested in reading it.
Spoiler!
Anaraia grew up with the Ridge Tribe for most of her life. Through her childhood, her father had taught her how to use a dagger that he keeps on him at all times, saying that if anything were to happen, he wanted her to be ready for anything. Years later, nearing her 7th birthday, her parents decided to travel, taking her with them, without giving an explanation. They took a boat from the Vipen Shipyard to avoid the wolf territories and the baiters and go straight to human lands. Upon arriving at Wreathwood, a templar, who had not seen them come of the boat, Halted them, accusing them of being escaped slaves for some reason (probably racism) and demanded they go with him. Her father tried to explain things, which only seemed to make the templar angrier. The templar attacked without warning, before her father could draw his dagger, striking down both of Anaraia's parents dead. Stricken with fear and panic, she dived for the dagger and stabbed the templar as he was advancing on her. Without looking at the exact condition of the templar she ran as fast and far as she could. Only one she was both tired and sure no one was following her, she stopped and let her emotions escape her.

Since the event, she has properly turned 7, and she has been traveling randomly, not sure where to go as she was never properly taught about the world. She is always scared that when her guard is down that a templar will find her. She has been eating small animals that happen to cross her path, and she has gotten quite good at catching them. She heard of a few places where someone like her could hide, away from templars, but she couldn't remember the names or where they are. She would stop for a few days at some towns she would come across, finding places in alleys to hide from both people and weather. It was when she reached Twin Lakes that made it harder. She was there for about two days after she arrived that it looked like a snow storm was rolling in. Being from the south, she was not accustomed to the cold. Fortunately an elderly woman has seen her in the streets multiple times, and when certain Anaraia had no place to stay, asked Anaraia to stay with her for the storm. Doubtful of her intentions at first, she accepted, having no other option. The women fed her, let her take a bath. She asked if Anaraia wanted new clothes, but stitched up her old ones when she declined.

Then came the attack. She was sleeping when it started. The noises weren't what woke her up, but the woman who was caring for her. The noises of an attack and panic outside was now apparent to her. The woman handed Anaraia her dagger and said one word: "Run". Anaraia tried to bring her along, but she refused. Once outside, she only saw the outlines of what we probably the attackers. panicking and not wanting the get a closer look, she assumed the worst: templars, looking for her. She ran the opposite direction, towards the harbor. Seeing a large ship with guns firing at the attackers and in her panicked state, she decided that was a great place to hid. She sneaked aboard and hid within the storage.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#88 Post by The Rookie »

DarkTheImmortal wrote:She ran the opposite direction, towards the harbor. Seeing a large ship with guns firing at the attackers and in her panicked state, she decided that was a great place to hid. She sneaked aboard and hid within the storage.[/spoiler]
Hold up. Is she already on the ship? :shock:

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#89 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

The Rookie wrote:
DarkTheImmortal wrote:She ran the opposite direction, towards the harbor. Seeing a large ship with guns firing at the attackers and in her panicked state, she decided that was a great place to hid. She sneaked aboard and hid within the storage.[/spoiler]
Hold up. Is she already on the ship? :shock:
Yeah, I decided not to wait until you're at the town to join in. Probably have her found by the crew or something.

Phaing
Master

#90 Post by Phaing »

Welcome aboard! 8)

Well, I have been waiting for Tycho to respond, you may as well jump in.
:laura:
A pair of longboats are being taken up for the u-boat project, big ones with room for 30 people each. They would have been stacked on top of each other, upside-down on the deck. I would suggest that she be hiding under them... cold but safe and out of the way.
Until they flip the boats over.

She will be seen as a distraction; these guys are involved in an interesting project...
"Aw hell, a stowaway, and a Keidran?"
"Don't look like one of those Sea-Demons, just the normal sort."
"So what do we do now?"
"Send it where the other on is, I guess... hey there, you speak Human?"

That sort of thing.

-George Bernard Shaw