All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

Phaing
Master

Re: 4 us Daily Beasts

#16 Post by Phaing »

I like this one already. :)

Curious about this-
• Zero hand to hand skill. If she’s disarmed she loses both her primary source of power, and her best means of fighting.

She is 6'4" and Lupusad. What did she do, trim her nails down so that she wouldn't damage her books... or is it a confidence thing? Still leaves lots of reach and those teeth.

Ah, and then this-

• Requires stones for mama

Sometimes, we all need stones to face Mama. :oops:

That is a racial thing, all Kiedran have that problem. But, since all Keidran were assumed to be [censored] at close-in fighting, these two could count as two weaknesses.
Looking forward to seeing a Bio for this one.

And yes, I also like Keith's beautiful little system for Character Generation, lets stick with that.

One variation; this is going to be a little rougher, so in addition to your healing, I will allow 6 different offensive spells that can be cast through the spear... and I would suggest that they not be the kind that cause physical damage. You have a spearhead for doing that, after all.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

TheLoreiConstruct00

#17 Post by TheLoreiConstruct00 »

Name: Ardis Novikov
Race: Human
Height: 6’ 2”
Eye Color: Green
Hair Color: Black
Skin Color: Fair
Facial Hair: Black

Physical Characteristics & Wardrobe:

http://imgur.com/a/UAof5

Personality:
Dislikes personal questions, very reserved about his past.
Looking to distance himself from human territory, willing to take odd jobs to do so.
Intensely self confident, very serious.
Hates Templar.

Languages:
Human
Some Keidran

Abilities:
Excellent skill with shields, able to handle just about any kind without difficulty.
Used to wearing heavy armours, improved endurance and agility while wearing heavy armour.
Well practised with short swords, can handle all manner of one-handed blades with ease.

Strengths:
Sarcastic - can’t seem to keep his mouth shut to save his life...
CQC - Good with close quarters combat and defensive tactics.
Cool under pressure - Almost always keeps composed in combat. . .almost always.

Weaknesses:
Weak to ranged attacks and magic.
Over-confident - Can be reckless when angry.
Hot tempered - Quick to anger around Templars or discussions about his past.

Weapons:
Steel short sword, hand-crafted with engraved hilt.
Steel reinforced kite shield, not exactly one-of-a-kind but personalized and well-worn around the edges.

Magical Affinity:
No natural abilities.

Phaing
Master

#18 Post by Phaing »

I would like to thank you both for NOT choosing a Templar.

Images are great, they really help me keep a personality connected to the name.

Contruct; you made me think about weapons and how they are used. Its not far-fetched to be good with shields, regardless of shape and size. They are all used in a similar way. IHMO, the same goes for Staff/spear/Glaive and other things.
However, one-haded blades are another thing. Some are straight and double-edged... some are curved and double-edged, and the methods of using them are very different.
I think that Short Sword also gets you the ability to use Dagger and Broadsword as well, Longsword too since it is also mainly a stabbing weapon.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#19 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:She is 6'4" and Lupusad. What did she do, trim her nails down so that she wouldn't damage her books... or is it a confidence thing? Still leaves lots of reach and those teeth.
Some of us believe that proper cuticle care is important S:P
Nah, so what I meant by this is that she's tall, but she's not exactly rippling with toned muscle. She has a body more attuned to a scholar than a warrior, hence why she's considered rather weak strength wise.

As for her lack of hand to hand skills, she can still swing punches and wrestle someone if needed, but she lacks the proper training to do much more.
Phaing wrote:One variation; this is going to be a little rougher, so in addition to your healing, I will allow 6 different offensive spells that can be cast through the spear... and I would suggest that they not be the kind that cause physical damage. You have a spearhead for doing that, after all.
Interesting. I'll have to think a bit about this.

Edit: History for Sylvi

History: Raised in the human town of Ditteridge; Sylvi is the daughter of Snow wolf royalty and Forest wolf commoner, both leaving their lives behind to start a family together.

Sylvi’s mother, Aada, was the half sister to current ruling monarch. Her father remarried when she was young, and officially adopting the daughter of his new wife and making her his heir. Outraged, Aada began to act more rebelliously, trying to find a new identity for herself and distancing herself from the royal family over time.

One day this led to Aada meeting Sylvi’s father; a Forest Wolf lumber trader, Finnick. The pair fell madly for each other, having a secret affair for several months until Aada purposed. That night, Aada gathered enough coin and trinkets for her to live out the rest of life with Finnick comfortably. However, in one last act of defiance, Aada stole a magical spear from her father’s armoury; the same one that Sylvi uses to this day.

Sylvi’s parent’s moved to Ditteridge, a human town where the locals, both human and Keidran could live together in harmony. The perfect place for the odd wolf couple.

Sylvi was born a year later, to parents who loved her very much. Her father had become the owner of the local tavern while her mother stayed at home to raise her.

Her mother used to read to her every day, her favourite stories being about princesses and dragons and the wonders of magic. One day when she was old enough, her mother got in contact with an old friend from her past life, a Wolfish Sharman to train Sylvi in the use of magic.

After three years of training, Sylvi’s teacher had taught her everything he knew about the arcane, healing and surviving the frozen waste. On that day, her mother awarded her with the magical spear she’d stolen all those years ago.

Two years later, Syilv (Now 11) decided that she wanted to get out and travel the world. To see what wonders and marvels it held for her. She left her child hood home with her spear in her hand and a fire in her heart, wondering what she'd see next.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phaing
Master

#20 Post by Phaing »

I salute you for playing a Char that had a normal, happy childhood!

Of course you know that any Snow Wolf authorities or erudite scholars of Lore will take one look at that spear and go "Whoa, hold on a sec, better have a talk with this girl!"

And instead of saying "Okay, 3 uses per day, yadda yadda" I'm going to tie its power to the lunar cycle. The first dozen times you use it in a month, no problem. After that, there is an ever-increasing and random chance for a botch or a backfire. On the night of a full moon, full reset.
Sound fair?

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#21 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:I salute you for playing a Char that had a normal, happy childhood!
Why thank you |D
Phaing wrote:And instead of saying "Okay, 3 uses per day, yadda yadda" I'm going to tie its power to the lunar cycle. The first dozen times you use it in a month, no problem. After that, there is an ever-increasing and random chance for a botch or a backfire. On the night of a full moon, full reset.
Sound fair?
Now what was this for, sorry? The amount of spells I can use before the mana crystal becomes unstable?

Phaing
Master

#22 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:
Phaing wrote:And instead of saying "Okay, 3 uses per day, yadda yadda" I'm going to tie its power to the lunar cycle. The first dozen times you use it in a month, no problem. After that, there is an ever-increasing and random chance for a botch or a backfire. On the night of a full moon, full reset.
Sound fair?
Now what was this for, sorry? The amount of spells I can use before the mana crystal becomes unstable?
Exactly. She is a "powerful mage", right? Facts need to match that, and this crystal is a special one, I take it, more of a permanent sort.
If its not feeling right we can theorize along other paths.
I'm still trying to figure out the right way to start this, but there is time, and the other one is looking like its already moving along at a good pace.

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#23 Post by The Rookie »

Ah that seems pretty reasonable.

Would I still be able to have 5 single use Mana stones on her bandoleer that she could use for single use spells should she lose her spear in combat, or she sends her primary crystal into over load ?

She'd have to replenish her supply in town, and they'd coast the same as a full meal.

Speaking of which, how is money going to work in this game? Should we have set amounts going in, or just magic wallets ?

Phaing
Master

#24 Post by Phaing »

You know, since we are going all Honor-system/Free-form with the combat (and that's fine by me) there should be a concrete limitation on what the Chars can do. I can't think of a better one than keeping track of the ol' purse in a realistic way.

Another thing for me to figure out... later.

Yes, 5 stones, and no reliability issues with those.
Those plus a dozen from the spear may seem like a lot, but per month? I'm thinking... not so much.
And the supply of manna stones on the human side of the border will be close to nill, especially now. On the Keidran side; $$$ :shock:

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#25 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:You know, since we are going all Honor-system/Free-form with the combat (and that's fine by me) there should be a concrete limitation on what the Chars can do. I can't think of a better one than keeping track of the ol' purse in a realistic way.

Another thing for me to figure out... later.
If I may, what if we started with say... 200 Silver, each?
From there we can just worry about the pricing of objects in the game world.
25 for a meal/Mana stone
5 for a drink
60 for a room for a night
30 for potions
ect

As for how we gain more wealth, perhaps we can have a loot system. X killed the bandit and found X amount of silver in his pocket. It'd have to be randomised by the GM of course. Maybe throw a dice and let lady luck decide S:P
Phaing wrote:Yes, 5 stones, and no reliability issues with those.
Those plus a dozen from the spear may seem like a lot, but per month? I'm thinking... not so much.
And the supply of manna stones on the human side of the border will be close to nill, especially now. On the Keidran side; $$$ :shock:
That seems fair. Thanks.

Phaing
Master

#26 Post by Phaing »

Ummm.... something like that.
The amount of Silver and Gold that I have seen things cost in some of the stories (fanfic+other) makes it seem as if precious metals are abundant, which would make coin purses awfully heavy.

Like I said, I'll work on something... maybe my 100 year-old copy of the Sears Roebuck catalogue will give me some ideas.
Later.

-George Bernard Shaw

Phaing
Master

#27 Post by Phaing »

TheLoreiConstruct00 wrote:Name: Ardis Novikov
I like him, but I need background before I can guess at how much cash to give him. The Mage will be well-off by the standards of Wilderness Keidran, but I am thinking that a wandering Mercenary will have a much larger stash.

I had an idea... but I'm afraid its more complicated instead of helpful. I'll just toss this out.

$ is the symbol I will use to denote currency value.
For scale, I will tell you that 1$ is the cost of a book of poetry (not very special stuff either), 10$ is the average cost of a man's knee-length coat, 60$ is the cost of a horse-drawn wagon (minus the horse).
1/2 $ for a drink
1$ for a meal, and up.
2-5$ for a room for the night.

Coin sizes-
1$ is a Silver Dollar sized coin, and then there are half, quarter and one tenth (dime) sizes.
That can get heavy...
Gold coins can be a life-saver in the amounts we are talking about.
50$ is the value of a one-ounce gold coin
25$ for a half
5$ for a tenth oz., smaller than a dime.
(thus the reaction to the gold coins that Trace leaves behind him. "put an Ox on the fire!" )

So.... good idea, or needless complication?
The advantage is, I really do have a copy of the 1902 Sears catalogue siting next to my keyboard.

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#28 Post by The Rookie »

Interesting. I feel like this could work, plus anything we bring up later could be priced by yourself if needed.

TheLoreiConstruct00

#29 Post by TheLoreiConstruct00 »

The monetary system looks fine to me and if we need to modify it on the go we can. No reason we can't change it if we don't end up liking it.

Also, Phaing, were you planning on running the same type of character as the other RP? Or are you going to run another one? Just wondering :wink:

Phaing
Master

#30 Post by Phaing »

TheLoreiConstruct00 wrote: Also, Phaing, were you planning on running the same type of character as the other RP? Or are you going to run another one? Just wondering :wink:
I didn't think I could , or should.
Let me explain;
To my way of thinking, a GM is running lots of NPCs, the cast of the story. You guys are the stars, and as in any charecter-driven story you guys have to be the driving force, I can't have someone in the mix being too helpful for you. I have the job of presenting the problem, you guys have the job of solving it.
That's the traditional thing, anyhow.

But, on the other hand, in Keith's campaign just started, I see something different from that. He has a fully involved Char in the party, and it's working out very well so far.
I might want to ask for a couple of weeks grace before I start this, just to see how that works.

The same Phaing? Well... that would kill any chance of a cross-over with the Chaos, wouldn't it? :mrgrin:

But that one is actually the baby-version, and I dumbed her down without any proding from Keith at all, I just did that to fit in and keep the Furry/human dynamic paramount, as I think the case in most RP here at this site. And deservedly so.
But.... I dunno. The original version might help things along, and reveal certain information in a timely way, but I can't let her be overpowering... and I DAMN sure don't want to resort to amnesia! :potatoes:

I was planning to have the Duke, Zha-Zha and her mercurial slave meet you in passing, and if any of them worked they can stay with the group or have recurring roles. It all depends on how things go. And there will also be others that may or may not turn out to be worth something, like Pariah, the Exorcist or even a whole pack of Ferals.

However, what I need to do next is have a look at Ardis's History, and figure out how to get him into this. I'm hoping you will make it easer for me by putting him somewhere up north somewhere around the frontier.

-George Bernard Shaw