Help me, please!

All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

JoshtheOverlander

Help me, please!

#1 Post by JoshtheOverlander »

So, much like Maineventman before me, I want to start a TwoKinds RP, but I'm just not sure how I should go about doing it. Can someone please help me build this thing and get it running?
Chicken Curry is the best thing EVER!!!

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

Re: Help me, please!

#2 Post by Twippit »

Well, sure. A few things though first.

1. We have one active 2K RP and one being set in motion ATM. I don't think you're likely to get much interest in that kind of game right now.

2. You sortof already have an RP running? You might want to just start with that.

Okay, with that out of the way, lemme tell it to you straight: GMing for an RP in an established universe is hard. What if the players break something? What if the PCs try to kill a main character? What if you can't write the main characters as well as the original author? What if, what if, what if? These are all real concerns that I've seen come up in every game based on an established universe. That doesn't mean that these games can't work, just that they frequently don't. Don't freak out if you start an RP based on Star Wars or something and it falls on its face. There are so many reasons it can go south, and you as the GM are only most of them.

Second, there's always this: GMing is hard if you don't know what you're doing. It's a leadership role, but not a managereal role. You can't tell people what to do, only that they should follow "da rulez" and boot them if they don't. And yet you're still trying to get people to do what you want them to do. It might not look like it, but a lot happens behind the scenes, in my experience. I, as a GM, do a lot of running around PMing various folks about things they see or don't see, how well they did on a thing, finding out their motives, or even just misinforming them as the plot requires. GMing is hard, actually, even if you do know what you're doing. You better be damn good at poker. I'm actually not very good at poker

Finally, remember, GMing is about reputation. Hang around, make some friends, build up trust. The only reason I get away with purposefully misinforming my players is by virtue of having been here for like 3-4 years or something like that. Also because I'm usually upfront about these things and I usually only allow in players who were there for some of TNG's experiments when I do that kind of stuff. Know your audience. Folks here like sci-fi. They like thinking. They like fighting but only a teensy bit. Once you know your players and they know you, then and only then can you really make a solid game.

Or you could just pull a Maineventman and manage to score some of the best players on the boards because reasons. This is just my guide, not the Bible. Pfft.
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

JoshtheOverlander

Re: Help me, please!

#3 Post by JoshtheOverlander »

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.
Chicken Curry is the best thing EVER!!!