Road to Ditteridge. (OOC)

All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Road to Ditteridge. (OOC)

#1 Post by The Rookie »

The story will follow Twokinds’ universe fairly closely, with only a few minor tweaks to the Western Basitin to make them a bit different to their Eastern cousins.

The story starts in a busy tavern in the Canine town of Foxhunt. There we are introduced to the players’ characters and their motivations. From there we’ll have a quick introduction round where people briefly explain why they’re in Foxhunt and what they sort of want in life. After that, we’ll have a few characters bump into each other, maybe at the bar or a table, and strike up a conversation.

Ultimately, the table grows to house the full party and the conversation turns to a town called Ditteridge on the edge of human territory. (Now this town exist in the law which I’ll put below, but basically it’s a multispecies friendly place). After some discussion, the group realises that heading to Ditteridge might actually be the solution to several of their ambitions/troubles and start to plan the trip.

The next day the group sets off for the human town of Wreathwood and the adventure beguines.

So the Lore stuff/Ditteridge is linked in this spoiler for size. There’s nothing critical in there, but it just helps build the story a little.
Spoiler!
1. In this story the Western basitin aren’t as driven by the military life style as the Eastern basitin. The westerners are still respectable soldiers, but join the military by choice.

Westerners have a more individualistic culture and a stronger focus on family and relationships. They are also far more likely to leave their homeland for a time, with most returning after a few years abroad, although a rare few decide to remain on the mainland permanently.

Westerners also have a slightly larger colour pallet with black, white and all shades of brown fur.

2. Located deep within Snow Wolf territory, the Human village of Ditteridge is an unusual case of Keidran-Human cooperation. It was originally humanity's farthest colony, built during the Great Expansion of the Human Empire. However, after the expansion ended, Keidran began reclaiming their territory, and Ditteridge found itself stranded. The snow wolves were just in the process of sending warriors to claim the village when an unusually severe winter storm blew through the area. The wolf soldiers caught out in the storm were forced to seek refuge. The Human villagers, unaware the wolves were sent to destroy them, sheltered the soldiers in their own homes and kept them alive through a winter that lasted an entire year. By the time spring finally came again, nearly 400 days later, the wolves no longer felt like destroying anything.

The Keidran allowed the village to stand, and although it is technically still a Human village and supported by the Human Empire, it's population is actually over 60% Wolf Keidran now. The village is notable as the only Human settlement that legally allows (and even culturally encourages) marriage between Humans and Wolf Keidran, at least at the local level. Due to its remote location and harsh environment - and because they brings in valuable trade with the Snow Wolves - the Templar have not made any serious effort in trying to enforce their anti-Keidran laws on the village, yet.

Now, serious time.

Just to help move things along and help to prevent the story going stale I’m going to allow drop in drop out characters. For example, if forumer decides they're no longer interested or is MIA for a long period of time the GM may take over for that character. This only a temporary thing and only acts to move the character into a safe location to wait for the player to come back. If the character leaves the game permanently, additional characters may be allowed to join to help fill the gaps.

As for the characters, I was hoping for maybe a group of about 5. Try to mix it up a little, a few human, a few keidran, guys, girls etcetera. We'll be using the standard character sheet seen below, but feel free to add any extra details.

CHARACTER SHEET:
Spoiler!
Name:
Appearance:
Languages: Please state how well they know the language(s).
Class/Occupation:
Weapon (If any):
Personality:

Example

Name: Jonathan Wraithwood

Species: (Genetically) Western Basitin

Appearance: (5 ft 9). Chocolate brown fur with specs of black throughout. Black hands and feet, as well as his left ear. Bright green eyes and often a cheerful smile.

John wears a dark gray shirt with a pair of light gray pants made from simple cloth. He wears a black leather belt that supports a hand full of small pouches and a iron ring that acts as a holster for his hand axe. Atop his shoulders, John wears hooded ultramarine blue cloak fashioned with a circular silver brooch with a decorative imprint.

John often carries his large leather travelling bag, full of pouches and compartments filled with anything he may need on his travels from food to shelter. On the left side of the bag are straps to hold John’s short staff naginata, which is wrapped in a brown cloth when travelling.

Languages: English, Basitin (Rusty) and Keidran. John can only read and write in keidran.

Class: Traveller/Cook

Weapons:
A short staff Naginata.

A short 4 ft wooden staff with a 1 ft durule edged curved steel blade at the tip. While there’s nothing particularly special about the weapon itself, John takes a lot of pride in keeping it clean and sharpened. Despite never having used it in a real fight, John spends a few hours every week practicing the techniques his father thought him.

A small single hand axe

A Nordic style hand axe with a dark wooden handle and a steel head. Often worn on John’s right hip. John uses this axe for pretty much everything from fighting to cooking (He’s sure to clean it first of course).

Personality: John is usually a cheerful character, with an optimistic approach to most situations.
Growing up the son on an inn keeper in a bustling fox harbor town, John was introduced to a wide variety of characters over his life time. Making the most of these interactions, John learnt the three main languages of Mekkan, preparing traditional dishes from all corners of the continent, and fighting styles from a retired Dog privateer, Human huntsmen and from his father.
UPDATE: All slots have been filled and are as follows

Twippit: The Game's GM

Rookie: Jonathan Wraithwood

hamers8989: Steven Bryers

Lief: Elizabeth Fabel

y7h65: Alice Légataire/Griswald 'Bear' Riles

Ranalf: Miranda

Update: Twip is now officially in charge of stuff, so I'm just going to step back and let him do his thing.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

hamers89
New Citizen

Re: Road to Ditteridge. (OOC/Sign up thread)

#2 Post by hamers89 »

Application:
Name steven bryers
Age 34 human years
Species human
Appearence six foot five. Average weight. Strong. Well built but not huge. Brown hair. Hazel eyes.
Languages fluent in human. Conversational in kaidran but not completely flient. And knows a few basitin phrases.
Class fighter. Has been well trained in various hand to hand and melee and a bit of archery.
Weapon. Sword (not a broadsword) and bows and arrows.
Personality. Funny but serious. Very sarcastic. Is against slavery and helps free slaves he can help.
Background. Raised in a small border town he grew up near the tiger kaidran and got to know several very well. When he grew up he went traveling around the content alot and met alot of people. He currently has a beck and forth mailing partner who is a tiger kaidran. His first kiss was with a tiger kaidran when he was 17 years old. He was trained in swordsman ship from a very young age and became one of the best in his town. He picked up archery but was not as good but was decent. He now has been training in this town with hand to hand for almost a year and is fairly proficient.

Thank you for considering my application. If you need anymore information please let me know

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#3 Post by Lief »

I'm probably going to be joining to try and help things along, but I may not be around for too long. Which brings me to...
The Rookie wrote:Just to help move things along and help to prevent the story going stale I’m going to allow drop in drop out characters. For example, if forumer decides they're no longer interested or is MIA for a long period of time we could have another member take over for that character until they leave the party/their untimely demise. Then altering events in the story to allow for the new character's introduction before continuing down the main story path. Not sure how well it’ll work, but hopefully we won’t have to use it too often.
This. I only trust a handful of people to control my characters, and I wouldn't appreciate even them doing so without my permission. If I'm going to be unable to post for a while, I'll notify one of them and have them write me off. (I'll let Twippit know that they have permission too, just in case. Assuming I don't just have him do it.) That okay? If it is, expect a sheet in the next couple of days.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#4 Post by The Rookie »

Yay people ! |D

hamers89: Approved. First thing I thought of was this though.
Spoiler!
For size

Lief: By all means if you know you're going to be away or unable to post for a while, let us know and we can put things on hold/ work around it. This was really just in case someone fell off the face of the planet without warning for like 2 weeks+ and we had no idea if they'd come back.

Hamers8989

#5 Post by Hamers8989 »

Hey this is me hamers89. I tried reseting my email to my main one from one that I don't use anymore and the email conformation never sent. So please use this account for me from now on. Sorry for any confusion. And rookie as I said my build is strong but not huge. Think more like Luke Skywalker for my build. But a tad bigger. And my sword is more of a katana but not really a katana.

Don't mean to be rude just trying to help with visualization

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#6 Post by y7h65 »

It's generally bad manners and decorum to take control of another RPer's character. This pretty much extends to every RP known such as tabletop, Forum, and play by post. Allowing it to happen is a pretty big breach of trust usually, since most people trust others not to assume that they know how to play the character better than the RPer. It's better for the GM to write them out than to let someone take over.

That being said, I have an idea for a character or two.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#7 Post by The Rookie »

y7h65 wrote:It's generally bad manners and decorum to take control of another RPer's character. This pretty much extends to every RP known such as tabletop, Forum, and play by post. Allowing it to happen is a pretty big breach of trust usually, since most people trust others not to assume that they know how to play the character better than the RPer. It's better for the GM to write them out than to let someone take over.
Sorry, I'm not being very clear. It's my fault.

So in the event that someone is missing for a long period of time (Say 2 weeks) without warning or reason, some one (Preferably the GM) can take over that character temporarily so that they can be placed in a safe position until the owner and player can return to continue. It's not a permanent thing, it's just so we don't spend weeks and weeks waiting on people.

If the person let's the GM know in advance that they are no longer interested in participating, the GM will decide what to do with that character givin the situation. Once that is cleared up, new characters/players will have the option to join to help fill the gap.

Is that better, or does it still sound terrible ? Sorry.

Hamers8989

#8 Post by Hamers8989 »

I forgot to put in my characters bio that he is very knowlegeable because of his travels and he does know how to reach lynknoll and has visited it twice. He is very smart.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#9 Post by y7h65 »

I'm saying that the only people who should move another character around is the GM. Not 'preferably the GM' but 'The GM is the one to do this'.

Anyways, here's the characters I've written up. I got a few good plot ideas for them but I'd prefer to keep it under wraps to keep up the mystery. If you want me to tell though, I'm fine with telling the GM via PM to confirm that I do have a plot in mind.

Name:
Alice Légataire

Appearance:
Standing at 5'10" and frequently seen in plate, Alice makes for a attention grabbing woman; not just for the overly elaborate well shined and polished armour that she wears. Under the armour she wears plain, if extremely well made, clothing; usually a pair of dark long pants and green blouse.

Species:
Human

Languages:
Alice speaks Human.

Class:
Adventurer?

Skills:
Please; Allow me.
Alice is polite and well learned, apparently having received etiquette lessons at one point. Although rarely exhibited, just enough leaks into her normal manner of address and manners that it is obvious to those who pay attention.

I am more than capable of defending myself, thank you very much.
Alice is just terrible at fighting. Just terrible. She's better off not trying than trying since even her attempts to fight tends to result in her harming someone else.

Please; speak. I will try my best to understand.
Alice is, however, great socially. She exudes an air of nobility that few can match which seems to make her more easily approachable and trustworthy than others. Being relatively attractive also doesn't hurt.

Life on the Road Requires Proper Training
Alice knows enough about herbalism, wilderness survival, and trapping to be able to survive and thrive while travelling. She is capable of healing small injuries sustained from small fights, cooking for a small camp of people, and figuring where to set up camp among other small skills.

Magic Potential
Unknown to Alice, she has a very strong magic potential. While she is aware of the fact she can use magic, she is unaware of how strong her abilities actually are. Despite not being properly taught in the art of sorcery, she is able to cast charm type magics with only some minor difficulty. She has been studying the magic tome that she owns but she does not appear to have progressed enough to cast other more common types of magic.

Equipment:
Armour
Alice's armour. Well made and nicely detailed, if a bit heavy. Seems to be custom made by Riles but there is no strong indication whether or not it is. It'll turn aside poorly aimed or weak attacks and deflect any arrow that hits the plates but there is really nothing special about it at first glance. The helmet opens and closes normally, though she frequently forgoes wearing it when possible due to how stuffy it is.

Notably, when inspected closely, the armour seems to be designed to allow the wearer to channel magical energy more efficiently. It seems to be meant to amplify latent magic powers. It's not known if Alice was the one who requested this armour design or type as she seems to disbelieve in this whenever it's brought up.

Hand and a Half Sword
A well made, if simple in design, hand and a half sword about four feet and six inches in length. Made of steel, leather wrapped grip, and well balanced with a double edge blade; there is not much to say about this sword at first glance. However, at a close glance, the sword seems to be designed to allow the wearer to channel magical energy more efficiently.

Backpack with Camping Gear
A large sized backpack filled with enough camping gear for herself and cooking gear for a party of four. She carries it everywhere and uses it as necessary. The same seal that shows up on Riles's armour appears on several of the buttons of this backpack.

Magic Tome
A magic tome filled with various writing and teachings on the subject of magic kept in her backpack. Alice is usually seen studying this tome whenever she has time. This particular tome seems to be focused on natural and spiritual magic.

Personality:
At first glance, Alice is a quiet and kind soul who is respectful towards others and willing to lead by example when required. Optimistic if a bit withdrawn at times, she is quite obviously some sort of noble due to the mannerisms she presents at face. However a closer inspection and attention will allow one to notice her, at times, somewhat forced smile and mild twitch in her eyes, especially when dealing with non-humans. At night, quiet murmurs and muttering from her tent seem to point at her having some sort of frequent recurring nightmare. While she strives to help humans to the best of her ability, this same charity is not seen around non-humans.

History:
Alice is, according to her, a wandering adventurer hailing from the village of Sarn. However her attitude and general air has most people pin her for a noble immediately, with most guesses tending to lean towards her running from an unwanted marriage or the other. Although most curiosity is usually directed to her silent stalwart companion, Alice has her own fair share of mysteries. For one, she greatly resembles the dead matriarch of the destroyed Aramis family and, with rumors that their youngest was spirited away amidst the chaos of the attack that killed the family, is the right age for the so called lost heir of Aramis. Furthermore she seems awfully rich for a supposedly humble daughter of a merchant from Sarn with much more steel than many would suspect when it comes to commanding her guardian. If rumors are correct and she truly is the lost heir of Aramis, then she may know where the lost fortune of the family may have been hidden. Of course, all attempts to confirm these rumors with her have thus far failed. But those willing to listen to her may receive requests about certain out of the way locations, often about Templar strongholds. She's certainly looking for something but what that is, nobody knows.

Name:
Griswald 'Bear' Riles or Sir Riles

Appearance:
Standing at 6'6", Griswald is a large imposing wall of a man. If he is a man, that is. Regardless he is always seen with his armour and both swords at his side, ready to go. Notably he does not make any noise beyond the sound of his plate armour striking against other parts of itself. This, combined with his secretive nature, has led to some rumors as to what he is.

Species:
Human? Whatever it is, most likely male due to his figure.

Languages:
Bear seems to understand Human, Keidran, both versions of the Basitin language, and quite a few other local variants of the tongue. It is not known if he actually speaks these languages since he has yet to speak in anybody's presence.

Class:
Veteran Knight

Skills:
Ambidextrous
Bear is ambidextrous with a preference for his right.

Twin Blade Fighting
In combat, Bear is less of a single gleaming blade as he is a whirlwind of slashes, punches, stabs, and hacking blows. He can, will, and has cut his way through quite a few men in his unending quest to guard Alice from all who wish to hurt her.

Strong and Unyielding
Griswald is not a fast man. At best, he runs at the speed most other people would call a brisk jog. However he is extremely strong and tough. He can decapitate multiple men in a single strike, suplex a charging cavalry horse, and survive being hit by multiple shots from a magic wielder. All without any excessive injury or damage to his person.

Unending Watch
Sir Riles does not sleep. Alternatively, if he does, he does not noticeably sleep and is also a light sleeper. Even so, he usually spends the entirety of Alice's sleeping hours positioned in front of her tent; moving only when he suspects danger to be coming from a different direction.

Equipment:
Armour
The battered but well kept armour that Bear wears. Extremely well made and emblazoned with various symbols of stations. This armour shows that Bear is, or was, a knight of high rank for a family or kingdom. Most of these symbols, however, fail to link him to any particular family or kingdom. The only symbol that seems to be linked to anything is his cloak clasp, which denotes that he was a knight in service to the Aramis family. However, the Aramis family and their lands was destroyed by a Keidran assault some fifteen years ago. The helmet is especially unique as it has what appears to be a painted wire mesh covered by dyed clothing preventing anyone from looking past his visor. Any actual means of removing the plate sections of the armour cannot be found or seen due to it potentially being hidden under the backing piece of armour. Doesn't seem to rust either. He has never been seen outside of his armour.

Argent Blades
Blades used by a Knight in service to the Aramis Family, they are almost five feet in length. Well suited for slashing and stabbing, the preternaturally hard blades retain an edge well but require frequent maintenance to ensure that it is never dulled completely due to the high difficulty of completely resharpening the blade. This high maintenance requirement pays itself out as it is more than capable of being thrust through the armoured chest of a war horse without damage to the weapon or easily parting through some of the heavier plate armours used by other kingdoms of men.

Sword and Armour Maintenance Kit
When not in combat or on travelling, Riles can be seen using this kit that he stores in his backpack to maintain his weapons and Alice's armour and weapons. He never seems to maintain his armour with these tools.

Personality:
Interestingly, Bear stands out not only for his size and equipment but by the fact that he never makes a single noise beyond the clanking of armour. Because of this, his entire personality is read from how he acts and that appears to make him a highly protective man who seems to harbor some sort of animosity for Templars. Seems to be rather ambivalent about non-humans. Also appears to like Meadows and Rolling Fields. Its is unknown whether or not he is protective because of his position or if he's protective because of more deeper emotional reasons.

History:
Not much is known about the man referred to as Griswald Riles. In fact, not even his name has been given to anyone. Alice has introduced him to others as Griswald Riles and he has yet to react negatively to it. Or react to it beyond a curt nod really. His armour and equipment denotes him as a Knight of Aramis but the entire knighthood with that title was confirmed to be extinguished defending the Aramis family. If he is, then that would make him at least in his late thirties or early fourties since the youngest Knight was almost thirty years of age, fifteen years ago. Beyond that, he is known to be Alice's stalwart guardian, always present and nearby even if normal social conduct would require him to be else wise. Always silent to the point of being unsettling to those that expect noise from such a large man, Griswald is the last person you would want to cross. It is not known if he follows Alice out of a sense of devotion, a shared quest, or some other reason.

There are several unconfirmed rumors as to why Riles is as silent as he is. Some say he's actually a killer golem designed to protect the last heir of Aramis until his or her death. Others say that he had his tongue removed and was magically silenced so he would never reveal whether or not his charge was truly the heir until she was ready to do so herself. A small quiet few whisper rumors that he is nothing more than a reanimated corpse, an eternal guardian that was either made from the corpse of the dead Knights of Aramis or a Knight brought back to life by the vengeful and undead spirits of the Knights. Maybe he's just really shy. Nobody besides Riles and maybe Alice knows and it does not seem likely that either will be revealing the truth anytime soon.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#10 Post by The Rookie »

y7h65 wrote:I'm saying that the only people who should move another character around is the GM. Not 'preferably the GM' but 'The GM is the one to do this'.
Again, I apologise. The GM will be the only one allowed to meddle with another person's character during long abstinences.
y7h65 wrote:Anyways, here's the characters I've written up. I got a few good plot ideas for them but I'd prefer to keep it under wraps to keep up the mystery. If you want me to tell though, I'm fine with telling the GM via PM to confirm that I do have a plot in mind.
Wow, you've really put some thought in to this. If you'd like to keep it secret for now, that's completely fine.

I'm looking forward to how these two will shape the story line

Alice Légataire and Riswald 'Bear' Riles (Sir Riles): Approved!

Ranalf
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by Ranalf »

I'm interested in making a character, but I'll be a little bit before I'll post it.
Delicious.
Cool story.

Hamers8989

#12 Post by Hamers8989 »

So we are allowed to have 2 characters?

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#13 Post by The Rookie »

Hamers8989 wrote:So we are allowed to have 2 characters?
Not usually, but considering that y7h65's second character is basically a speechless golem that acts like a guardian for Alice I guess it was alright.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#14 Post by Lief »

Should have my sheet up sometime today. Only got a couple things left to do (+Proof reading), but for now I need sleep.

EDIT: Done! Here she be.
Appearance: 5'8. Wears more modest clothing these days, and lacks the armor. Still has the cloak, though it's been bleached to remove the Templar symbols.
Name: Elizabeth Fabel, usually goes by Eliza
Species: Human
Languages: Human, understands Keidran and is semi-fluent in Basitin
Class/Occupation: Hunter/Ranger/ex-Templar

Equipment:
Clothing - Consists of a short-sleeve green cloth shirt, black cloth pants with leather reinforcements on the inside at the knees, leather walking boots, belt, and leather gloves. Also undergarments, of course.
Leather Vest - The closest thing to armor Elizabeth has and wears anymore. Three layers of leather with two layers of silk intermixed make for, if nothing else, rudimentary protection from arrows and other things trying to puncture vital bits. Fits nice, doesn't restrict movement, and is far lighter than any other protective garment she's worn.
Cloak - A heavy white hooded cloak which defies dirt and water, turning both away. Despite its heft, Eliza is almost always wearing it.
Reflex-Recurve Bow - A relatively simple-looking bow. It is actually quite a complex design, which drastically increases tension and thus shot strength, as well as increasing the difficulty to bring it to full draw. Naturally, as this is Eliza's personal bow, she can bring it to full draw and hold it there for a fair time if need-be.
Quiver of Arrows - A simple soft leather quiver with a flap and tie to keep arrows from falling out during disuse. Contains around 40 arrows at any given time, utilizing various heads and different fletching.
Longsword - A simple blade of good make. Worn on her right side.
Hunting Knife - A plain blade, used to dress fresh kills. Could be used for other things, of course.
Satchel - A leather satchel with strap which carries a few necessities. Change of clothing, undergarments. Tools and materials to maintain her weapons. Several medicinal supplies, primarily bandages. Also an iron mug.
Waterskin - A key component to any traveler's kit. Holds roughly a liter of water when full. Kept attached to belt behind sword on right side.

Skills:
Ambidexterity - Eliza uses her bow right-handed and her sword left-handed. She is perfectly capable of switching them around without detriment, however.
Face, Meet Arrow - A downright amazing archer, Elizabeth has little trouble hitting even moving targets at a hundred yards or more.
Swording - Having been a Templar soldier for the better portion of her life, Elizabeth knows her way around a sword and how to stab the other person without getting stabbed yourself. She could probably even give a few pointers.
Hedgemage - Not the kind that specializes in plants, either. Elizabeth has mostly basic knowledge of magic, and slightly above-average skill in using it. She can fling fireballs pretty well, but healing is difficult and not very energy-efficient.
Natural Hunter - When Elizabeth left the Templar, she took up hunting as a profession, as it was a hobby even before she left. She is adept in the ways of the hunt, from tracking and identifying her prey to trapping and skinning it once slain.
Hobbyist Herbalist - Eliza knows the gist of what herbs are good or bad for you, what goes good in a stew, what can be turned into a paste to treat that nasty burn, what plants will kill you, and which will keep you from dying if you ingest one of the former. She's not an expert, but she's gotten by on her own so far.
Lone Wanderer - Eliza has taken to a nomadic way of life for several years now, not staying in any one place any longer than she had to. Due to this and her skill as a hunter, she has little issue surviving in the wilderness for extended periods, and is capable of getting by with few resources if complications arise.
Fletcher - Elizabeth can make her own arrows given the materials to do so, though she greatly prefers buying them.

Personality: Recent years have made Eliza a quiet, cynic individual. She doesn't tend to share her opinions and won't speak up without a reason. Given time and the right questions, one may be able to break through this shell.
Misc: Elizabeth was always pale. She did not, however, always have her strange hair and eyes. Early in her Templar career a simple illusion spell backfired and caused her current visage to become permanent.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#15 Post by The Rookie »

Elizabeth Fabel: Approved!

Looking forward to see if Eliza could help Alice unlock some of her own magical potential. Plus it's always nice to have a sorceress when things get tough :roll:

So as things stand at the moment we have 3 humans, a basitin and a... thing... It'd be nice to get a keidran in there to round things off, but I'm open to anything.

That being said, I think we only have one more spot open for Ranalf's character. After that I guess we can begin.