Interest Check: Old-School or New-School?

All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

Cyberpunk or Dieselpunk?

Cyberpunk
29%
Dieselpunk
53%
Either
18%

Total votes: 17

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Interest Check: Old-School or New-School?

#1 Post by Myperson54 »

Alright, it's been a while since I ran one of these, and while I know Burning Chrome: Neon Shadows basically crashed and burned right away, I also know that I didn't have a solid plan for that RP beyond a basic concept. I plan to rectify that issue in both possible games I present to you today.

In the red corner, we have the Cyberpunk RP I originally wanted to run. In this game, you'll play a ragtag gang of junkies pulled together for a heist on a major biotech manufacturer. However, what you find is more than what you were counting on. Expect a focus on stealth combat and standard cyberpunk literary tropes. Set on 20-minutes-in-the-future Earth.

In the blue corner, we have a concept I've been wanting to try out for years: Dieselpunk. This one is a bit more complete in terms of the overall plot, but less so in the areas of character activity, so I'll need a while to get this one rolling. In this game, you'll play a specific role on the Glorious Ascension, the new flagship of Aquila's 3rd fleet. You could be a pilot, a mechanic, a navigator, or even captain! Expect dogfighting, zeppelin battles, and funk old-timey brass decorations. As for roleplaying, I'm thinking it might be a bit Star-Trekey in that there'll be a bridge crew, and lots of worldbuilding. Set in a fictional world, likely the one of Empire of the New Sun. Don't worry about the map's details too much; I'm still deciding.

Now, I have two disclaimers: One, neither of these are likely to be ready any time soon. This is for the future, when I've finished properly planning one or both. Two, some of this information might change when I actually launch the game. These are just rough guidelines to help you decide what you think is more interesting.

The plot for both will be tighter than my previous game to prevent free-roam madness, and will probably have a party size of 6 or less, one character per player.

EDIT: I'm not adverse to combat, by the way, but for a good deal of these I'm going to want to focus on worldbuilding and character development - Roleplaying. There'll be combat, but I'm also hoping for some neat character interaction.

If you all are interested, tell me which you'd prefer and/or leave questions/suggestions.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

Re: Interest Check: Old-School or New-School?

#2 Post by Lief »

I wouldn't be averse to either, but I'd prefer the former.

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#3 Post by anonfox123 »

Vote me in for diesel-steam-treck! :D
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#4 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

I think the heist one sounds great. The Trek-y one sounds good, too, but the first one really tickles my fancy.

Also, may I suggest a poll? It'll be much easier to keep track of votes.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#5 Post by Myperson54 »

InceptionBwaaa wrote:I think the heist one sounds great. The Trek-y one sounds good, too, but the first one really tickles my fancy.

Also, may I suggest a poll? It'll be much easier to keep track of votes.
Sure. I wasn't going to use it cause I end up manually counting anyways, but sure.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#6 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

I'll put my vote for Cyberpunk. I'm interested in seeing how a heist could go.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#7 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

MrFlyingAmoeba wrote:I'll put my vote for Cyberpunk. I'm interested in seeing how a heist could go.
GTA?
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#8 Post by Myperson54 »

InceptionBwaaa wrote:
MrFlyingAmoeba wrote:I'll put my vote for Cyberpunk. I'm interested in seeing how a heist could go.
GTA?
To be fair, I have been playing a lot of GTA campaign recently, which is partly why I want to do a heist in the cyberpunk game. I now have more ideas for a heist than I previously did. I can also use it as a way to unite and direct the party towards a goal.

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#9 Post by anonfox123 »

Wonder how a heist would go down in the deiselpunk world though...

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#10 Post by Myperson54 »

anonfox123 wrote:Wonder how a heist would go down in the deiselpunk world though...
If we do Diesel, there won't be one. Because of the focus on the golden age of aircraft, the sneakiest thing we might do would be a recon mission or perhaps hiding in enemy territory under disguise. Sneaky, but not a heist.

LennoraN7

#11 Post by LennoraN7 »

Both sound interesting. I've been playing in a cyberpunk tabletop for awhile now, so I'm comfortable with that. I think I can grasp the concept of diesel punk, however. The link was informative.

Also, GTA is pretty great. I do actually have a backup character for that cyberpunk game I play in that is somewhat inspired by Michael. I think he would fit nicely into this RP.

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#12 Post by anonfox123 »

Myperson54 wrote:
anonfox123 wrote:Wonder how a heist would go down in the deiselpunk world though...
If we do Diesel, there won't be one. Because of the focus on the golden age of aircraft, the sneakiest thing we might do would be a recon mission or perhaps hiding in enemy territory under disguise. Sneaky, but not a heist.
I see. And I guess this is diesel with an steampunk aesthetic? Because when I search dieselpunk I get stuff like this:
http://images6.alphacoders.com/390/390507.jpg
or this: https://hollyiblogs.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/01.jpg

But then there's also things like this:
https://morrowproject.files.wordpress.c ... rain-1.jpg
and this
http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/90/1 ... al_art.jpg

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#13 Post by Myperson54 »

anonfox123 wrote:
Myperson54 wrote:
I see. And I guess this is diesel with an steampunk aesthetic? Because when I search dieselpunk I get stuff like this:
http://images6.alphacoders.com/390/390507.jpg
or this: https://hollyiblogs.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/01.jpg

But then there's also things like this:
https://morrowproject.files.wordpress.c ... rain-1.jpg
and this
http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/90/1 ... al_art.jpg
Think a combination of Art Deco and German Industrial Design from the World Wars. There'll be airships, but also planes and baggy flightsuits and gasmasks. Steampunk aesthetics tend to leak into Dieselpunk often, what with the similarity in genre and time-period overlap.

That first image is very much what I'd envision for some things within the world, the last two images somewhat as well. That second image though is definitely steampunk with metal ships.

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

I am kind of leaning towards The Dieslepunk, but either works for me.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#15 Post by Myperson54 »

Gah, accidentally reset the poll. Re-vote, people, although I'll also count posts if all the re-votes don't happen.